Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Yannick Traded to Ravens - 3rd & Conditional 5th

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Small Hands

Re: Yannick Traded to Ravens - 3rd & Conditional 5th

Post by Small Hands »

At least they are embracing the Tank. Yannick wasn't staying here. He wants to win. This team is at least 2 years from having a chance. I really hope they keep Hunter though. Everyone else on the defense can fuck off. Just don't trade Hunter in the offseason please.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

I am sorry, there is no way to spin this as a positive. The first, and most upsetting piece - to me this signals that somehow Spielman is going to skate? It indicates he is he for long haul when he is making a long haul decision and giving up on the season.

Or at least he thinks he is going to skate? That, if true, is horrifying. Even if its he thinks he is skating, and really will be fired, I still dont want that fucker making the damn trades. Cuz, he, you know, may do something unbelievably moronic like trading a guy costing a pick in the 30's for a pick in the fucking 90's. Unbelievable.

The right move was trying to sign the guy and pair him with your other stud DE. What a great place to build a D from, two stud DE. If that wont be possible, hold out and get more than wtf they got knowing they at least can get the compensatory pick as a last resort backup plan. Why do that trade today when you have time?

Again, the nightmare for me is the appearance that Spielman may actually be retained. I want to fucking vomit. He will be picking your next qb. An absolute debacle.
Last edited by hategreenticemase on Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Yeah, and maybe he wanted out too
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Free Agents 2021:

S - Anthony Harris - gone
LG - Pat Elflein - gone
DT - Jaleel Johnson - gone
LB -Ben Gedeon - gone
DE - Ifeadi Odenigbo - should try to TE-sign
LB - Eric Wilson - likely gone if Barr is still on roster
CB - Holton Hill - 50/50 if back
DT - Hercules Mata'afa -cut and signed to practice squad so doubt back
RB - Mike Boone - gone with Cook and Mattison signed
WR - Chad Beebe - likely gone or if back cheap
WR - Tajae Sharpe - gone
RB/KR - Ameer Abdullah - gone
QB - Sean Mannion - gone
OT - Rashod Hill - likely want back but might he want to leave to get a chance to play
G - Dakota Dozier - likely gone
C - Brett Jones - gone

Possible Cuts/Trades:
Cousins - longshot
Reiff - should trade him at deadline
Thielen - should trade him
Barr - won’t miss him
Smith - trade him if we are in rebuild
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

This team is so fucked. If they wanted apathy from the fans they're going to get it.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

I wish fans were in the stadium to boo this team. They lucked out.

I dont mind the trade. I hoped they'd retain him, bit Slick Rick is doing his magic, trading higher picks for more or the same amount of lower picks.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
bri

Post by bri »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:02 pm This team is so fucked. If they wanted apathy from the fans they're going to get it.
If the Gophers start out hot, apathy will set in 100% and Wilfs will only have themselves to blame
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:43 am I am sorry, there is no way to spin this as a positive. The first, and most upsetting piece - to me this signals that somehow Spielman is going to skate? It indicates he is he for long haul when he is making a long haul decision and giving up on the season.

Or at least he thinks he is going to skate? That, if true, is horrifying. Even if its he thinks he is skating, and really will be fired, I still dont want that fucker making the damn trades. Cuz, he, you know, may do something unbelievably moronic like trading a guy costing a pick in the 30's for a pick in the fucking 90's. Unbelievable.

The right move was trying to sign the guy and pair him with your other stud DE. If that wont be possible, hold out and get more than wtf they got. Why do that trade today when you have time?

Again, the nightmare for me is the appearance that Spielman may actually be retained. I want to fucking vomit. He will be picking your next qb. An absolute debacle.
This whole saga with Yannick is definitely not a positive, but it's probably the smart move at this point to get something for him rather than being stubborn just to spare egos.

2021 was already going to be dicey from a salary cap perspective, and the likelihood that they were going to be able to strike a longterm deal with this guy was not all that high.

Yes, it sucks that, in the end, they gave up an early second round pick in exchange for a late third round pick.

But the front office acquired him before the season to see if they could salvage this season once it became apparent that Hunter was going to miss time. Rather than immediately throw in the towel, they traded for Yannick to see if he could help them win some games early in Hunter's absence with the idea that they could potentially be dominant together once Hunter returned. Alas, it didn't work out, obviously, with the team 1-5.

Now that it's pretty clear that this season is going to be a bust, they are putting things in place for next year.

Next year, the prospects of a healthy Hunter and Michael Pierce added to this defense with the young corners having a year of experience under their belts is actually somewhat promising. Add a (hopefully) healthy Dalvin, the dynamic duo at WR, and (hopefully) a major addition or two to the offensive line, and I can see why they aren't completely cleaning house as some Froobs have been clamoring for.

Give Zim and Rick one more offseason to see if they can take this team to where it wants to go.

I'm not saying this is a great idea. I'm not saying I don't want them to move on. But I'm just saying, I see their argument and where they are coming from if they choose to give it one more year.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

The tank is on, gentlemen!!!

:lol:
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
kidcrash

Post by kidcrash »

Someone needs to make some VIkings - Embrace the Suck Jerseys with the # 0 on them.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Sid Hartman wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:36 am
Oriole81 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:27 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:16 am

Maybe. I can’t remember. I just thought we’d moved it. Maybe that’s what I was thinking of.
I think its the Mark Fields trade w/ KC

Ben Goessling
@GoesslingStrib
One additional point on the Mark Fields trade: The 7th-round pick is based on Fields being on the Vikings' roster for an agreed-upon number of games, per a source. If Fields isn't on the roster long, in other words, the deal wouldn't cost the Vikings anything.

Guessing since this happened we don’t owe anything:

The Chiefs traded Fields to the Minnesota Vikings for a 2021 seventh-round draft pick on August 31, 2019.[3] He made his NFL debut in the Vikings season opener on September 8, 2019.[4] He was waived by the Vikings on September 14, 2019 and re-signed to the practice squad two days later.[5][6] He signed a reserve/future contract with the Vikings on January 12, 2020.[7]
Just googled again and as far as I can tell, the Fields trade is the one bein g referenced but the conditions most likely will not be met so most likely the pick will not convey.
so if I'm reading that right, even though sites currently show us having no 7th rd pick, we should get that back once the year is over.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!
hategreenticemase

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:22 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:43 am I am sorry, there is no way to spin this as a positive. The first, and most upsetting piece - to me this signals that somehow Spielman is going to skate? It indicates he is he for long haul when he is making a long haul decision and giving up on the season.

The right move was trying to sign the guy and pair him with your other stud DE. If that wont be possible, hold out and get more than wtf they got. Why do that trade today when you have time?

This whole saga with Yannick is definitely not a positive, but it's probably the smart move at this point to get something for him rather than being stubborn just to spare egos.

2021 was already going to be dicey from a salary cap perspective, and the likelihood that they were going to be able to strike a longterm deal with this guy was not all that high.

Yes, it sucks that, in the end, they gave up an early second round pick in exchange for a late third round pick.

But the front office acquired him before the season to see if they could salvage this season once it became apparent that Hunter was going to miss time. Rather than immediately throw in the towel, they traded for Yannick to see if he could help them win some games early in Hunter's absence with the idea that they could potentially be dominant together once Hunter returned. Alas, it didn't work out, obviously, with the team 1-5.

Now that it's pretty clear that this season is going to be a bust, they are putting things in place for next year.

Next year, the prospects of a healthy Hunter and Michael Pierce added to this defense with the young corners having a year of experience under their belts is actually somewhat promising. Add a (hopefully) healthy Dalvin, the dynamic duo at WR, and (hopefully) a major addition or two to the offensive line, and I can see why they aren't completely cleaning house as some Froobs have been clamoring for.

Give Zim and Rick one more offseason to see if they can take this team to where it wants to go.

I'm not saying this is a great idea. I'm not saying I don't want them to move on. But I'm just saying, I see their argument and where they are coming from if they choose to give it one more year.
No matter what, Spielman needs to go. We won't agree there, so I will move on, but I think he should be fired today and honestly I think its best to move on from Zim also unless we can bring in a hotshot Brady type guy and anoint him coach in waiting and czar of the O.

It was a good move to get Yannick. It's not a bad move to get rid of him - but it was a bad return. I would have held out knowing I at minimum can get a compensatory - yes, would have to wait a year but it allows me to create leverage in a possible trade by other team knowing I'm ok waiting for compensatory and you better pony up if you want him.

To me, it's a rebuild if they can't trade Cousins. Meaning if they can, they won't have as bad cap hell and can go buy some players for next year and then it solely becomes about if rookie qb can get going right away and maybe they are right back in the thick of things. However I don't see how they can trade him, so now we need to swallow our cap medicine for one year.

In that case, I would rather suck again next year, get more good picks, and be able to buy some players for 22 and be ready to flourish. This option also allows us to get younger this season going into next.
Last edited by hategreenticemase on Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

I like you but this is insanity. Head in the sand bullshit.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

Do you believe half the B.S. you type?
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

What's this say for Rick's future as far as staying? Would Zygmunt sign off on wheeling and dealing if he didn't plan on keeping Rick as the GM?

If he was planning on shitcanning Spielman, I'd think he'd want the new GM to do deals.
Fortune Tellers Make a Killing Nowadays
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

Speilman has had many bad trades and draft picks but this one is really the knife in the back....Game over Rick you are DONE!!
hategreenticemase

Sarge wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:55 pm What's this say for Rick's future as far as staying? Would Zygmunt sign off on wheeling and dealing if he didn't plan on keeping Rick as the GM?

If he was planning on shitcanning Spielman, I'd think he'd want the new GM to do deals.
I pretty much said that above. Its the worst aspect of this deal - to me it signals he is staying. Unbelievable.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Did we get two new guards in this trade? I thinks that wood put us over the top???
Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:25 pm
Sarge wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:55 pm What's this say for Rick's future as far as staying? Would Zygmunt sign off on wheeling and dealing if he didn't plan on keeping Rick as the GM?

I pretty much said that above. Its the worst aspect of this deal - to me it signals he is staying. Unbelievable.
One can hope that the Wilf's said something to the effect of.

"See what value you can get for some veterans and we'll evaluate at the end of the season".

If Rick felt he was close to getting fired, I don't know how he rationally pulls the trigger and uses logic that it was a good move from a GM standpoint.
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

"The Vikings can't even have a boring bad season"

Saw it quoted somewhere.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:06 pm "The Vikings can't even have a boring bad season"

Saw it quoted somewhere.
if anything, Spielman is entertaining.
I'm good with him being let go but I do fear that the draft, purely as an entertainment experience, is lessened. I mean, what if we hire someone who is purely content making his 7 selections and then calling it a day? How boring would that be?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Chuck North

Post by Chuck North »

Dr. Linux wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:16 am I was pretty excited to get him just for something new but was still on the fence about his overall impact. Giving up this early means you fucked up in the first place.
On the fence? He only led the team in sacks (5), tackles for loss (5) and forced fumbles (2).

This is an epic blunder.
Dr. Linux

Post by Dr. Linux »

Chuck North wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:19 pm
Dr. Linux wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:16 am I was pretty excited to get him just for something new but was still on the fence about his overall impact. Giving up this early means you fucked up in the first place.
On the fence? He only led the team in sacks (5), tackles for loss (5) and forced fumbles (2).

This is an epic blunder.
At his price that is just expected IMO.
-

Got Root?
Chuck North

Post by Chuck North »

He took a $6 million pay cut to come north. You got him for cheap.

This trade looks like somebody doesn’t have a clue what they’re doing.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

It's a serious fuck-up. If they didn't want to resign him then trading that second rounder looks even more idiotic.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

At least we can trade the Ravens 3rd round pick for a kicker/punter that we can put on the practice squad.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:13 pm It's a serious fuck-up. If they didn't want to resign him then trading that second rounder looks even more idiotic.
They worried about his next contract and Hunter getting pissed? Eliminating the Diggs/Thielen debate? Just bleeping pay them both... cut money other places... QB, S, etc.. oh and should have NOT signed Dalvin.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Why Not Us

Re: Yannick Traded to Ravens

Post by Why Not Us »

Da Gas Man wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:58 am So we gave up what will be a high second (although that wasn't the plan when we did it) for a low third. Great job Rick.
Barf.
"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations." - Joe Biden, July 2021
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:28 am Does this mean we can use his salary to sign Kaepernick?
Worth the try!

:thumbsup: