Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Official trade thread

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
hategreenticemase

Official trade thread

Post by hategreenticemase »

Lets try to keep this to realistic options (obviously we cant stop trannytard from bustin in and telling the kids how somehow Dallas will magically forget about KDC albatross number going forward when they already have their qb and will undoubtedly need to sign him but hey, they still will trade for Cousins over a cheaper and maybe better Fitzpatrick, but maybe we can just ignore his dumbass and have a quality discussion).

To me, the real hard part here is the right move to make is cleaning house (Fire RS, Zim, Kubiak and have Patterson interim). But if you do that now, how do you manage the short term immediate need of trading some guys while we can. Who does the damn trading? I damn sure dont want Spielman doing it and want him gone NOW, so who the bleep is trading?

Toughest decision is Yannick. To me, its a no brainer to keep him if he wants to be here and we can reasonably sign him. But, how will we know that? He wanted out of rebuilding so bad in Jax that he took less to come here. Now we are rebuilding? Tough scenario.

1. Reiff is the easiest and quickest move. Been pretty solid, isnt overpaid, maybe can get something? Dictated solely by other team's desperation.
Right scenario, I could see maybe a 3rd? Prob a 4th more likely?
2. Harris, what are we looking at for compensatory? Easy decision - if can get more via trade, move him. If not, he can walk next year.
3. Thielen doing fantastic, I would have to believe we can get something for him. I cant envision him being the same player in 22 when we may be ready again, so I would put him as the next quickest trade I would make.
4. Rudolph, I dont see as tradeable with his contract. But, if I can get anything, I move him.

I could see Smith playing another 3-4 years. Candidate to restructure, I think I keep him. The guy can still play.

Your thoughts?
Oriole81

Re: Official trade thread

Post by Oriole81 »

I still think Thielen can be a top level receiver for a long time.
Although he's a surprisingly good athlete, he's never relied solely on his athleticism. He's great at getting separation, finding the holes in coverage, and has great hands...all things that are not impacted by regular regressions in athleticism.

Cris Carter played until he was 37.
In the year he was 36, he still put up 96 rec, 1,274 yards and 9 TDs

Larry Fitzgerald is still playing at 37 years old
In 2017 he still had 109 rec, 1,156 yards
Last year he still had 75 catches for 804 yards

Nobody is unmovable and everyone has a price, but I don't think we NEED to get rid of him either.
Him and Jefferson have the potential to be a dynamic duo for a LONG time.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

I'd trade Reiff and Harris
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
hategreenticemase

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:46 am I still think Thielen can be a top level receiver for a long time.
Although he's a surprisingly good athlete, he's never relied solely on his athleticism. He's great at getting separation, finding the holes in coverage, and has great hands...all things that are not impacted by regular regressions in athleticism.

Nobody is unmovable and everyone has a price, but I don't think we NEED to get rid of him either.
Man, I dont know. Do I think he can be a damn good #2 receiver in 22 and maybe 23? Yeah, ok, I can see it. But, weigh the opportunity cost. I dont know what his trade value is, and that would influence me, but if we can get a decent pick AND shed the 12M, thats a pretty good opportunity.

This changes if somehow we can trade Cousins. First, I just dont see that we can - but if we could, now we have a smaller short term pain in cap and depending on qb we get and how soon they develop, potentially we can be a factor next year. So if can trade Cousins, I maybe keep Thielen, if not, I move him as we simply wont need him til 22 and he is more value to us traded, than retained.

Who else you trading?
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:51 am
Oriole81 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:46 am I still think Thielen can be a top level receiver for a long time.

Man, I dont know. Do I think he can be a damn good #2 receiver in 22 and maybe 23? Yeah, ok, I can see it. But, weigh the opportunity cost. I dont know what his trade value is, and that would influence me, but if we can get a decent pick AND shed the 12M, thats a pretty good opportunity.

This changes if somehow we can trade Cousins. First, I just dont see that we can - but if we could, now we have a smaller short term pain in cap and depending on qb we get and how soon they develop, potentially we can be a factor next year. So if can trade Cousins, I maybe keep Thielen, if not, I move him as we simply wont need him til 22 and he is more value to us traded, than retained.

Who else you trading?
I totally get what you're saying from an opportunity cost standpoint, but presuming we're starting a rookie QB next year, I think having Thielen around has immense value. If we want to take next year on the chin and get through our cap issues and be ready to rock come 2022, then that QB's progression is made even easier next year by having Thielen and Jefferson together.

Unless I'm blown away, I'd pass.

I posted above right after as well that I'd move Harris and Reiff absolutely.
Even if we only get mid round picks for them (say 4ths for each) that would give us SIX 4ths and THREE 5ths, which is ample opportunity to consolidate multiple times and move up on Day 2.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

Maybe in the offseason you look at sending Zimmer to the Cowboys.

Sounds like they have some problems down there
hategreenticemase

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:00 am

Who else you trading?
I totally get what you're saying from an opportunity cost standpoint, but presuming we're starting a rookie QB next year, I think having Thielen around has immense value. If we want to take next year on the chin and get through our cap issues and be ready to rock come 2022, then that QB's progression is made even easier next year by having Thielen and Jefferson together.

Even if we only get mid round picks for them (say 4ths for each) that would give us SIX 4ths and THREE 5ths, which is ample opportunity to consolidate multiple times and move up on Day 2.
That's actually a fair point and Thielen is a good mentor to have around as well. If someone offers a 2nd or a 3rd plus something I'm taking it, but you do make a point.

What's Harris compensatory you think? Or do we not get that when franchised?
hategreenticemase

Tmoney wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:09 am Maybe in the offseason you look at sending Zimmer to the Cowboys.

Sounds like they have some problems down there
Haha. He would be an upgrade. McCarthy is one of the most overrated coaches in recent memory.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:15 am

Who else you trading?

That's actually a fair point and Thielen is a good mentor to have around as well. If someone offers a 2nd or a 3rd plus something I'm taking it, but you do make a point.

With the season Thielen is having right now and the fact that he's signed through 2024, I wouldn't do for less than a 1st.

On Harris, I assume we would still be eligible for a comp pick even if he was under franchise tag the previous year. If I had to guess I'd say he's probably netting a 4th still as his market has gone down a bit with his play this year, so I'd be fine trading him now and getting the pick a year early. I might even do for just a 5 to be honest.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
hategreenticemase

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:21 am

With the season Thielen is having right now and the fact that he's signed through 2024, I wouldn't do for less than a 1st.

On Harris, I assume we would still be eligible for a comp pick even if he was under franchise tag the previous year. If I had to guess I'd say he's probably netting a 4th still as his market has gone down a bit with his play this year, so I'd be fine trading him now and getting the pick a year early. I might even do for just a 5 to be honest.
You are crazy if you think a 1 is remotely possible. Diggs got a 1 plus - BEFORE the season and being 25 years old. Thielen is close to being old and this is midway of season. I can see a 2, maybe and I think that's a stretch.

Anyway, pretty rare you and I disagree, so lets agree to disagree on this one. I love Thielen, but I think I make the move if we trade Cousins because it's a rebuild next year also. As for Harris, I could go either way - honestly I can't see getting much of anything for him so I think compensatory may be the best long term option.

What do you think we could get for Reiff?
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Nobody is being traded in season really. It happens but it's rare.

So if they are cleaning house, they will fire everyone at season's end. The new GM will make the trading decisions over February and March.

That is when they will clean house. I have stated that I think they should do just that. Draft one of the big 3 Qbs. Make it happen. Cut Kirk before his 2022 guarantees. Deal with the cap hit. For 2021, get a caretaker QB like Fitzmagic or Dalton who will be cheap while the rookie learns.

The cap hit from Cousins plus the reduced cap will mean that they need to have a bare bones team next year. The team will be bad with a lot of young cheap guys playing. Good. It will give them a chance to learn. Next season will almost certainly be a big losing season - like 2-14 or 3-13 with the bare-bones squad. Then they can start the rebuild in 2022.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Yannick has picked up his play since the beginning of the season.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:34 am
Oriole81 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:21 am

You are crazy if you think a 1 is remotely possible. Diggs got a 1 plus - BEFORE the season and being 25 years old. Thielen is close to being old and this is midway of season. I can see a 2, maybe and I think that's a stretch.

Anyway, pretty rare you and I disagree, so lets agree to disagree on this one. I love Thielen, but I think I make the move if we trade Cousins because it's a rebuild next year also. As for Harris, I could go either way - honestly I can't see getting much of anything for him so I think compensatory may be the best long term option.

What do you think we could get for Reiff?
I think its a fallacy to think just because its a "rebuild" year next year, that we should purge our key quality veterans.
If we do next year right, meaning hire the right coach and GM and draft the right QB, then we have a 4 year window to win a SB before we lose that QB's rookie contract.
That becomes a LOT harder if we move out quality veterans now that could contribute to that title run in 2022 and beyond. I see Thielen and still being able to be a key contributor through the end of his contract, so if I'm only getting a Day 2 pick for him, then its not worth it for me.

Harris I don't see re-signing here so that's why I'm fine moving on from him. Whether they go via trade or through comp pick route, I really don't care either. Moving him this year though could give us an opportunity to see what Metellus and Luther Kirk have going into next year, or perhaps try Hand or Boyd there since there's always been rumblings that either of them could project to safety.

I think Reiff could net a 5th prob considering there's teams in contention that need OL help this year. I wouldn't play hardball with them though as I think the opportunity to get Cleveland time at LT is worth far more than anything we could get for Reiff.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

If you are looking to hopefully hit on a rookie QB you want a good team around him to truly maximize the rookie deal.

We are looking good draft position wise, wont have to give up much if anything to have a crack at a top prospect.

No sense in robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Do we want a rookie coming in with an even worse offensive line, less weapons, and a porous defense?

I say no, then by the time the rest of the team is rounding out, you have to Pay a QB 30 to 40 million a year.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Tmoney wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:33 pm If you are looking to hopefully hit on a rookie QB you want a good team around him to truly maximize the rookie deal.

We are looking good draft position wise, wont have to give up much if anything to have a crack at a top prospect.

Do we want a rookie coming in with an even worse offensive line, less weapons, and a porous defense?

I say no, then by the time the rest of the team is rounding out, you have to Pay a QB 30 to 40 million a year.
Teams that are fully loaded all around, do not pick high enough to get the Premier prospect. The truth is you don’t want to be completely blank but you Will need to fill the holes within the first two years. And that can be done even if you only have five or six positions solved before you get your QB
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Da Gas Man wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:25 pm
Tmoney wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:33 pm If you are looking to hopefully hit on a rookie QB you want a good team around him to truly maximize the rookie deal.

Teams that are fully loaded all around, do not pick high enough to get the Premier prospect. The truth is you don’t want to be completely blank but you Will need to fill the holes within the first two years. And that can be done even if you only have five or six positions solved before you get your QB
circumstances are strange for us this year when you consider that we've been without Hunter and Pierce all year. we're not at 1-5 if we have them. we get them back next year which will give an automatic boost.

it's a fluke that we're in this position in the first place.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

If the young guys on defense turn into quality players this team is ready.

With a d line of hunter, pierce and possibly ngakoue the defense could essentially be set.

Just need a QB that can take a good team to great.

This is assuming the offensive line is Reiff, Cleveland, bradberry and a functional RG and Oneil.

I do believe if we get a QB that can burn a team with his legs we will see improvement on the line. Easier to rush when you know exactly where the QB will be standing.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Tmoney wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:34 pm

With a d line of hunter, pierce and possibly ngakoue the defense could essentially be set.

This is assuming the offensive line is Reiff, Cleveland, bradberry and a functional RG and Oneil.

I do believe if we get a QB that can burn a team with his legs we will see improvement on the line. Easier to rush when you know exactly where the QB will be standing.
So the cupboard isn't bare.

If they reboot, they have Bradbury, Cleveland and maybe O'Neil. They have Jefferson. Cook could stay around. They have Gladney and Danztler who are young. Add Hunter to that (and maybe Pierce) and they aren't without good players who are young enough to be contributors in two years.
Kendricks too if they want. Irv might still be cheap.

But Barr, Smith, Harris (young but expensive), Rudy, Reiff, Theilen won't be part of that future in two years so should be let go this offseason. They could keep Theilen around for another year. Elf gone. Dozier gone (although he isn't expensive).
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Da Gas Man wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:56 pm

If they reboot, they have Bradbury, Cleveland and maybe O'Neil. They have Jefferson. Cook could stay around. They have Gladney and Danztler who are young. Add Hunter to that (and maybe Pierce) and they aren't without good players who are young enough to be contributors in two years.

But Barr, Smith, Harris (young but expensive), Rudy, Reiff, Theilen won't be part of that future in two years so should be let go this offseason. They could keep Theilen around for another year. Elf gone. Dozier gone (although he isn't expensive).
that's actually pretty close to exactly what I said, but I keep Thielen and resist getting rid of Harrison unless it allows me ability to re-sign all of Yannick, Odenigbo and Wilson.

how can you think though with that core that we'd be down near 2-14 next year?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:04 pm

that's actually pretty close to exactly what I said, but I keep Thielen and resist getting rid of Harrison unless it allows me ability to re-sign all of Yannick, Odenigbo and Wilson.

Because that's what this year is close to producing. I guess they might limp to 5 wins but in truth, it's the same as this year.

The reason to get rid of Harrison is because he serves little purpose in a down season if he isn't going to be part of the 2022 season. But the main purpose is that if you are cutting Cousins, you are way over the cap. And Harrison is pure cap savings. I'm not saying that he isn't worth keeping as a player. I'm saying that he isn't worth keeping in the long term plans so why keep him? Use his money to help the rebuild.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Da Gas Man wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:08 pm

Because that's what this year is close to producing. I guess they might limp to 5 wins but in truth, it's the same as this year.

The reason to get rid of Harrison is because he serves little purpose in a down season if he isn't going to be part of the 2022 season. But the main purpose is that if you are cutting Cousins, you are way over the cap. And Harrison is pure cap savings. I'm not saying that he isn't worth keeping as a player. I'm saying that he isn't worth keeping in the long term plans so why keep him? Use his money to help the rebuild.
Talent wise we're not a 1-5 team though this year. You have to believe that, right?
We're down 2 of our best defensive players (3 if you include Barr), and our coach/QB that won't be here next year have GREATLY let us down.

Yet we still lost by only one point to two teams that are both currently 5-0.

That's indicative of a team that is most likely better than its record.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:13 pm
Da Gas Man wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:08 pm

Talent wise we're not a 1-5 team though this year. You have to believe that, right?
We're down 2 of our best defensive players (3 if you include Barr), and our coach/QB that won't be here next year have GREATLY let us down.

Yet we still lost by only one point to two teams that are both currently 5-0.

That's indicative of a team that is most likely better than its record.
I agree. How good are we at full strength in terms of record? 6-10? 7-9? Fast forward to next year. Take out Harrison and Harris. Cleveland at LT. CBs with a year of experience so that might help. They are probably a 6-10 team next year. Fine.
Florida Guy

Post by Florida Guy »

Who else you trading?
I am guessing that the coach, GM and QB1 will be gone this offseason. That will come and a $10m cap blow this offseason but sets us up for success in the future.

Here is my ideal plan
2020 Trades
Reiff (mid round) Harris (mid round), Rudolph (Conditional 7th)

Cut 2021 offseason
Cousins, Barr, Stephen, Hughes, Colquit, Bailey

We would obviously bring in a young QB. I think it would be important to set said QB1 up for success. We have the tools on offense, especially if we keep Theilen. With the cuts and trades above, issuing rollover from 2020 to 2021, we could have $35m ($24m next year plus about $11.2mwith pro rated traded salaries from this year) to spend in a year that no one is gonna have a ton of money (Covid lowered the predicted cap). We’d have about $100m the following year. We could easily extend Ngakoue and O’Neil this offseason and even bring in a top guard (Thuney or Sherff) if we pushed a lot of their cap until next year. Set up a young QB to succeed and build the defense in the upcoming years!

Long story longer, if we part ways with Cousins, I say we keep AT19.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Thielen is 30. Not 38.

If you get a 1 for him, sure. Do it. But you won’t.

If you get anything else, then you now need a #2 WR, assuming jefferson takes the #1 role, if he hasn’t already.

So that’s trading a really good player (leads nfl in receiving touchdowns) for the chance to hopefully get someone who might maybe be as good.

That doesn’t sound like a good idea to me.

We need to be on the lookout for a #3 WR, not voiding ourselves of our #2.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
hategreenticemase

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:04 pm Thielen is 30. Not 38.

If you get a 1 for him, sure. Do it. But you won’t.

If you get anything else, then you now need a #2 WR, assuming jefferson takes the #1 role, if he hasn’t already.

So that’s trading a really good player (leads nfl in receiving touchdowns) for the chance to hopefully get someone who might maybe be as good.

That doesn’t sound like a good idea to me.

We need to be on the lookout for a #3 WR, not voiding ourselves of our #2.
Ok, get a number 1 then. :lol:
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

wait you're now FOR tanking?
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Trade Barr, Cousins, and Smith for whatever we can get.

Fire Spielman and hire a top guy from a successful franchise like KC. Seattle.

How about Bevell as HC?
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

cunningham wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:01 pm Trade Barr, Cousins, and Smith for whatever we can get.

How about Bevell as HC?
Bring in Bevell and Chilly at quality control.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
Florida Guy

Post by Florida Guy »

JPM wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:04 pm
cunningham wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:01 pm Trade Barr, Cousins, and Smith for whatever we can get.

How about Bevell as HC?
Bring in Bevell and Chilly at quality control.
You ready for your mind to be blown???

GM - Scott Pioli
HC - Josh McDaniels
OC - Bill O’Brien
DC - Matt Patricia

Super Bowl Homeboy
SDVikesfan

Post by SDVikesfan »

Great thread topic.

If Reiff could fetch a 4th or 3rd, he's gone because he won't be around if/when the Vikes get good again under a new regime and new QB in 3-4 years.

Doubt anyone would take Rudolph, but I'd take a 7th to get his contract off the team.

If Harris gets you a 2021 5th, make the deal.

There are immediate cap rollover advantages, I believe to all 3 of these deals.

None of this will happen unless Spielman & Zim are either gone or have been promised another year to turn things around. The latter option would be a mistake so I suspect no trades will be made.

Finally, a sneaky player to consider is moving Kendricks. He's very good, but he will be 29 when next season begins and carries $12.5, $13.5, and $11.4 cap hits in 2021, 2022, and 2023, respectively. Will he be nearly the same player (and worth those #s) when the Vikes might be good again in the future?

If a team is willing to part with a 2nd round pick in 2021, I'd be on board.