Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Justin Fields, QB Ohio State

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
salamander

Justin Fields, QB Ohio State

Post by salamander »

I don't think we get last place in the league and Trevor Lawrence is going #1 (most likely to the Jets).

That being the case, I'm all aboard the Justin Fields train (choo CHOOO!). Dude looks like he's a baller.
He'll have to sit behind Cousins for a year most likely as he's not had a ton of playing time in collage (see: covid).

He's a run/pass threat and has an over 65% completion percentage paired with an ability to hit the long ball.
41 TD's/3 INT's with Ohio last year. His 9.2 yards per' average is actually better than Lawrence's 9.0 (2019).

I want him. This is the year to move up and get a QB if we're not quite in position to draft one of these two.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Beef Supreme

Re: Justin Fields, QB Ohio State

Post by Beef Supreme »

I’ll say it all year: Lawrence, Fields, or Lance.

I’ll be satisfied with any of them.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
JigglyPuff

Post by JigglyPuff »

Zach Wilson
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

JigglyPuff wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:16 pm Zach Wilson
Not sold, but open minded.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Like Wilson over Owen?
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

JigglyPuff wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:16 pm Zach Wilson
I'm turning into a big fan. I think I'd take him over Lance.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Bogey Bob

Post by Bogey Bob »

The sad thing is that if we don’t finish with the top pick where Lawrence is the no brainer pick, I fear the Vikings are just going to end up picking someone at another position and pass on the other QBs.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Agreed. No chance they pass the Jets. How does Gase still have that job? Anyway, Fields is the proper and achievable target.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:07 am Agreed. No chance they pass the Jets. How does Gase still have that job? Anyway, Fields is the proper and achievable target.
Whoever has number one has to take Trevor Lawrence... and any team crap team will easily take Lawrence and bench/trade whatever recent qb they drafted.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Bogey Bob wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:48 am The sad thing is that if we don’t finish with the top pick where Lawrence is the no brainer pick, I fear the Vikings are just going to end up picking someone at another position and pass on the other QBs.
I worry about that too.... in fact I bet they'd trade down to grab and extra asset.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Vikings will select a CB in first round
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

With the albatross that his Cousins contract hanging over the team we can't even benefit from a QB on a rookie deal.

Rick Spielam buried this franchise for atleast this year and next.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

BuDG123 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:28 pm Like Wilson over Owen?
Luke is the better Wilson.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Tmoney wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:42 am With the albatross that his Cousins contract hanging over the team we can't even benefit from a QB on a rookie deal.

Again, if we tank then there really isn't any "albatross" that exists. The salary cap ramifications of Cousins contract will be meaningless. The fact is, as I have pointed out, of the top 15 salaried players under contract for the Vikings only three players would be guarantees to bring back next season (Hunter, Cook, Bradbury), three I would rate as probable (Kendricks, Pierce, Hughes).

As for the other 10 top contracts in 2021, the most likely outcome is tha they will be released: Cousins, Barr, Reiff, Thielen, Smith, Rudolph, Stephen, Bailey, Colquit. The cap hit for these players is minor issue given the team rebuilding that is in order while the actual salaries of over $10 million are much more important.

And, claiming that this "buried" the franchise for this year and next is idiotic. When you rebuild a football team you are going to stink, and stink bad.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

With respect to Justin Fields, one thing that is a shame is that with the Big Ten's stupid reaction to covid he is not on the field playing.

He is a solid quarterback prospect in this draft and right now I have him rated above Lawrence. He isn't perfect for sure. He needs to work on his footwork and maintain a more solid base without some of the "happy feet" he has even in well established pockets. This makes him slightly off balance on occasion, which makes his throws split second late and he loses some velocity on the long ball leading to some underthrows. His mechanics are much better throwing to the left part of the field than the right were he lets his left shoulder get out in front, particularly when he is throwing on the run, losing torque and accuracy.

LIke most young quarterbacks he also can stare down the receiver but most often he progresses through his reads very well. He has excellent touch on most of his passes, great pocket awareness and mobility. He is a strong and smart runner.

My comp on Fields is a modern day Warren Moon.
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:29 pm
Tmoney wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:42 am With the albatross that his Cousins contract hanging over the team we can't even benefit from a QB on a rookie deal.

Again, if we tank then there really isn't any "albatross" that exists. The salary cap ramifications of Cousins contract will be meaningless. The fact is, as I have pointed out, of the top 15 salaried players under contract for the Vikings only three players would be guarantees to bring back next season (Hunter, Cook, Bradbury), three I would rate as probable (Kendricks, Pierce, Hughes).

As for the other 10 top contracts in 2021, the most likely outcome is tha they will be released: Cousins, Barr, Reiff, Thielen, Smith, Rudolph, Stephen, Bailey, Colquit. The cap hit for these players is minor issue given the team rebuilding that is in order while the actual salaries of over $10 million are much more important.

And, claiming that this "buried" the franchise for this year and next is idiotic. When you rebuild a football team you are going to stink, and stink bad.
Paying an ok quarter back like he can carry an entire team and losing 5,000 snaps on defense alone wasnt idiotic?

So then they have to find, replace, develope all these cut players, hopefully in the time frame they have a rookie QB.

This is assuming Rick gets it right finally at QB. He wont.

This year is lost and next year is not going to go well either. Even if they hit on a QB, they are going to have holes to fill everywhere. Kirk is getting his money this year and next no matter what happens. And alot of it. It's a shit contract no matter how you slice it

Which is why I said we are buried this year and next.
Rick once again put all his eggs in a single QBs basket. And Kirk just took a shit in it.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Just a guy

Trevor is the prize

Fake injuries , do anything u can to lose.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

I don't know much about either of the two (Lance and Fields) outside of what I read from others. I have read some who think that Fields is amazing. I saw someone else who said that he doesn't see an NFL QB in Fields. That he will follow the lead of Jones and Haskins as great college QBs whose amazing skills don't translate into an NFL QB. But then again, I personally have no idea.

That same person commented on Lance as well. He said that Lance has NFL QB skills. He said that it is not clear if he will take the step when tougher competition comes but he has the NFL skill set.

So, is Lance better than Fields?
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

D_H wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:39 pm Just a guy

Trevor is the prize

Fake injuries , do anything u can to lose.
They could lose every game for the rest of the season (they won't) and they still won't get Trevor. Look at the Jets schedule. Do you see a win there? Maybe, just maybe you could argue Miami at home but that is it. Jets are going 0-16 with an outside chance of 1-15 Either way, they would get the #1 pick. Unless Trevor says he won't play for the Jets, Trevor is off the table.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:36 am Vikings will select a CB in first round
I saw a recent mock that had that.

I think they go WR to replace Theilen.....
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Tmoney wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:50 pm
Rick once again put all his eggs in a single QBs basket. And Kirk just took a shit in it.
The fact is, until this year the Vikings have not had any significant free agency losses. The core of the team has been the core of the team for the past five years. Barr, Thielen, Diggs, Kendricks, Hunter, Smith, Rudolph etc all got their proper payouts.

What free agent losses there were we more than adequately replaced over the years, even going into this season were we replaced Griffin with Ngakoe and Linval Joseph with Mike Pierce.

Further, claiming we have not addressed the offensive line is specious. We signed Riley Reiff to a large free agency contract and have expended high draft picks on linemen over hte past several years.

This season had the the concentrated losses in the secondary with Waynes and Alexander leaving in free agency, and Rhodes being released. Of course, last season I spent most of the season arguing with almost everyone that these cornerbacks did not suck, we had a top ten pass defense in the NFL and yuo cannot do that with bottom ranked CBs. Now, the people who wanted these guys to be gone because they sucked are blaming Rick Spielman for letting them go. I might have done steps to make sure at least one of Rhodes/Waynes stays, but Rhodes had played himself out of MN and Waynes signing would have been a disaster with him becoming injured.

Lastly, I want to bring up a point that has never been or rarely is mentioned (at least that I have read) and it is centered on Mackenzie Alexander, but applies a bit to Waynes too: when Alexander signed just a one year, $4 million deal with the Bengals I was very surprised. I thought his market value was at least double that in APY with at least a 3 year deal. Why wouldnt the Vikings want to at least match that on a slot cornerback that played pretty well? In the end, I think that these guys wanted out of Minnesota and a team coached by Mike Zimmer.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:41 pm
Tmoney wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:50 pm
The fact is, until this year the Vikings have not had any significant free agency losses. The core of the team has been the core of the team for the past five years. Barr, Thielen, Diggs, Kendricks, Hunter, Smith, Rudolph etc all got their proper payouts.

What free agent losses there were we more than adequately replaced over the years, even going into this season were we replaced Griffin with Ngakoe and Linval Joseph with Mike Pierce.

Further, claiming we have not addressed the offensive line is specious. We signed Riley Reiff to a large free agency contract and have expended high draft picks on linemen over hte past several years.

This season had the the concentrated losses in the secondary with Waynes and Alexander leaving in free agency, and Rhodes being released. Of course, last season I spent most of the season arguing with almost everyone that these cornerbacks did not suck, we had a top ten pass defense in the NFL and yuo cannot do that with bottom ranked CBs. Now, the people who wanted these guys to be gone because they sucked are blaming Rick Spielman for letting them go. I might have done steps to make sure at least one of Rhodes/Waynes stays, but Rhodes had played himself out of MN and Waynes signing would have been a disaster with him becoming injured.

Lastly, I want to bring up a point that has never been or rarely is mentioned (at least that I have read) and it is centered on Mackenzie Alexander, but applies a bit to Waynes too: when Alexander signed just a one year, $4 million deal with the Bengals I was very surprised. I thought his market value was at least double that in APY with at least a 3 year deal. Why wouldnt the Vikings want to at least match that on a slot cornerback that played pretty well? In the end, I think that these guys wanted out of Minnesota and a team coached by Mike Zimmer.
Just stop with this bizarre Spielman defending. This is how pathetic your position is - you want people to absolve Spielman of allowing a singular unit to destroy a playoff caliber team because "hey, he tried, he used some high picks". :lol:

You are thinking you are unearthing something by declaring Mac Alexander left because Zimmer? No shit? :lol:
I am ok blaming Zimmer for that. Doesn't change the fact Spielman managed the roster in such a way we had to replace the top 3 corners in one offseason.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:56 pm
Just stop with this bizarre Spielman defending. This is how pathetic your position is - you want people to absolve Spielman of allowing a singular unit to destroy a playoff caliber team because "hey, he tried, he used some high picks". :lol:

You are thinking you are unearthing something by declaring Mac Alexander left because Zimmer? No shit? :lol:
I am ok blaming Zimmer for that. Doesn't change the fact Spielman managed the roster in such a way we had to replace the top 3 corners in one offseason.
"This is how pathetic your position is - you want people to absolve Spielman of allowing a singular unit to destroy a playoff caliber team because "hey, he tried, he used some high picks"

YOu think that is a argument FOR your case against Spielman? Again, the Vikings are 12th in the NFL in win-loss record over the last decade. That is the only objctive measure.

Lastly, trying to claim that it is all Mike Zimmer for this record is ridiculous because he wasn't the coach for the entire decade.
hategreenticemase

mlhouse wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:20 pm

"This is how pathetic your position is - you want people to absolve Spielman of allowing a singular unit to destroy a playoff caliber team because "hey, he tried, he used some high picks"

YOu think that is a argument FOR your case against Spielman? Again, the Vikings are 12th in the NFL in win-loss record over the last decade. That is the only objctive measure.

Lastly, trying to claim that it is all Mike Zimmer for this record is ridiculous because he wasn't the coach for the entire decade.
The Vikings were 24-39-1 in the 4 years prior to Zimmer. For a normally smart guy, you ain't do so good on this one, bud. Give up yet? :lol:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:29 pm
mlhouse wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:20 pm

The Vikings were 24-39-1 in the 4 years prior to Zimmer. For a normally smart guy, you ain't do so good on this one, bud. Give up yet? :lol:
Yep. That marked the transition when Rick Spielman took over the player personnel decisions of the team.

2010 was the last Childress year and the year Brett Favre finally became human. We fired Childressafter a 3-7 start and had Leslie Frazier end the season 3-3 to end up 6-10.

2011 was Christian Ponder's rookie season and we struggled to a 3-13 record. This was the first draft the Spielman did without Brad Childress influence and it was by far his worst draft of his career.

2012 was Ponder's first full year as a starter and we went 10-6 and made the playoffs. While the results probably had more to do with Adrian Peterson's 2097 yards rushing, this was a very solid turnaround for the team coming out of the doldrums of the Childress era.

2013 was Leslie Frazier's last season and it was a disaster. Ponder was hurt and missed 6 games. Peterson was banged up all season and did not have the same results he did in 2012. Things were so bad we brought in Josh Freeman to be the quarterback and he turned out perhaps the worst start by an NFL QB ever (which was fascinating because Freeman in his 2nd season looked like he was going to have a solid NFL career, then it just fell off the table).

Frazier was fired and the team brought in Zimmer. So, I am not sure what your claims of those 4 years really serve except that Spielman and Zimmer started in a deep hole and they dug the franchise out. Thanks for contributing.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Bogey Bob wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:48 am The sad thing is that if we don’t finish with the top pick where Lawrence is the no brainer pick, I fear the Vikings are just going to end up picking someone at another position and pass on the other QBs.
I honestly am worried Spielman will do that even with Lawrence at our fingertips.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:01 am
I worry about that too.... in fact I bet they'd trade down to grab and extra asset.
Couple 7th rounders in play?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

We are not getting Lawrence.

If one of Fields or Lance is there and Rick goes another direction, I just might be done.

If Fields or Lance are already gone, I don't want a QB in rd #1. I might be done if Rick reaches for another Turd QB like he does so often.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

salamander wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:49 pm
I honestly am worried Spielman will do that even with Lawrence at our fingertips.
First, I do not think Lawrence is a no brainer pick at the top of the draft. He might be when all is said and done, but it is not a slam dunk.

Second, If the Vikings still have Rick Zimmer and Kubiak running the offense, passing on a top of the draft quarterback is a reasonable approach. I am not saying I would do it, but there is very solid argument for passing with the main one being resource allocation. This is also an argument for never signing and not extending Kirk Cousins, again, I am not saying I agree with the argument but it has merit and just matters how you weight the other factors.

If Mike Zimmer is your head coach then all you really need is a caretaker, game manager quarterback that doesn't make mistakes. He isn't expected to make plays. Go find a low cost QB with a little bit of mobility and sign him. He can hand the ball off much cheaper than Kirk Cousins.

Again, I weigh these arguments differently so if I have a top five pick I am getting either Lawrence or Fields and there is also the fact there is no way I go into the 2021 season with Mike Zimmer as the head coach.
hategreenticemase

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:00 pm We are not getting Lawrence.

If one of Fields or Lance is there and Rick goes another direction, I just might be done.

If Fields or Lance are already gone, I don't want a QB in rd #1. I might be done if Rick reaches for another Turd QB like he does so often.
You should be done if he is doing the picking at all.