Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

So how do we fix this?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
SKOLMN

So how do we fix this?

Post by SKOLMN »

Where do we go from here to fix the team and get us back on the right track. Not just for this year, beyond that. What are some opinions, other than the obvious of firing spielman, zimmer, etc. what coach/gm should we hire? What type of scheme should we implement? What are some players you think we should go after? What are ones on the team we should get rid of?

Personally I think promoting Patton makes sense for the gm, then I would put on the full court press for bienemy. After that I would get rid of kubiak’s scheme. In a passing league it’s unacceptable we hardly ever run 3 wr sets, especially when there are so many quality wr’s in the league. I would look to the draft for a speed demon to add to theilen and Jefferson and make that our base offense. Move some of the focus to the passing game so hopefully cook’s workload will be a bit lighter, saving some wear and tear.

Reiff, Rudolph, shamar, are easy cuts to make. Barr is someone I would look to offload, Wilson’s play has shown how overrated he is to this defense. Tough to predict the draft since there’s still a ton of season left, but a franchise qb is top of the list. Hopefully we’re in a position for one of either fields or lance, preferably fields since the jets seem destined for Lawrence. Outside of that oline hopefully becomes a priority.

This is a rebuild that’s going to last several years unfortunately, but if done right we could be set up favorably with the talent already on the roster.
Ash Ketchum

Re: So how do we fix this?

Post by Ash Ketchum »

First order of business is to figure out a way to get some team to trade for Kirk Cousins and get a portion of his dead money settled.

Right now, Cousins stands to count a ridiculous $45 million against the cap in 2022, his final year. And that entire 2022 salary is guaranteed on the 3rd day of the league year in 2021. The rub is that if you cut Cousins prior to that 3rd day of the 2021 league year, it hits you with $41 million in dead money.

They are fucked until 2022 is over unless they can get someone to trade for Cousins and take on some of that cap burden (I don’t even know if that’s how it works).
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

Get rid of Spielman. I suppported him, but he's had 14 years and plenty of chances to get it right.

Mike Borgonzi as GM. He's currently director of player personnel and football operations for the Chiefs. (He'll be a hot commodity at the end of this year)

Get rid of this defensive coordinator as head coach. This team needs an injection of youth into its coaching staff.

The pieces are there. You have an outstanding young running back. You have the best WR tandem in the NFL. One who is on his way to ROY and possibly All-Pro.

You get some important pieces back next year with Hunter and Pierce. Keep your core on defense.

Kirk is a good quarterback (when things are in-sync), he's just on the wrong team. He needs an O-line that will protect him. He's never gonna win us a championship with his arm talent only. Trade him and get what you can so that contract is transferred.

And for the love of Christ, THE MINNESOTA VIKINGS SHOULD BE DRAFTING A QUARTERBACK EVERY YEAR TILL YOU HIT ON ONE!! I don't care what round it is. Draft one every year!
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

By not winning any more games the rest of the season.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

First order is not winning another game this year. If we do that and other teams sneak a few out we can fix the QB spot.

Then figure out what system the QB we get is good at and use that system.
In Kwesi we trust.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Fire coach. Cut Cousins and every vet. See you in 2 years.
RM22

Post by RM22 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:43 pm First order of business is to figure out a way to get some team to trade for Kirk Cousins and get a portion of his dead money settled.

Right now, Cousins stands to count a ridiculous $45 million against the cap in 2022, his final year. And that entire 2022 salary is guaranteed on the 3rd day of the league year in 2021. The rub is that if you cut Cousins prior to that 3rd day of the 2021 league year, it hits you with $41 million in dead money.

They are fucked until 2022 is over unless they can get someone to trade for Cousins and take on some of that cap burden (I don’t even know if that’s how it works).
I told you this before the season started. You thought Rick was a top 10 GM.

Trade Cousins to Dallas and get back at least that 2nd rounder they wasted on Yannick.
bri

Post by bri »

Need to completely clean house. Bye bye Spielman and Zimmer. Let the new hire decide on the rest. Trade away any older (27+) vets that will gain future picks.
Mnsportsfan22

Post by Mnsportsfan22 »

Start by firing everyone and trading players for something. Can reiff get us anything? I think some LT's have gone down recently. Just unload and try to out tank the jets
RM22

Post by RM22 »

Fix it by getting rid of Spielman. And (Unfortunately) Zimmer. Rick ruined this team. And I will bet my life that Zimmer hates Rick.

Trade Theilen. Trade Yannick. Trade Harris. Trade Cousins to Dallas.

And DRAFT BEST AVIALBLE PLAYERS!!!
CasualObserverGuy

Post by CasualObserverGuy »

PurpleFloyd wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:01 pm First order is not winning another game this year. If we do that and other teams sneak a few out we can [TRY TO] fix the QB spot.

Then figure out what system the QB we get is good at and use that system.
FTFY
Jesus threw the money changers out of the Temple in Jerusalem. We need to throw the bankers out of Washington.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:43 pm First order of business is to figure out a way to get some team to trade for Kirk Cousins and get a portion of his dead money settled.

You have to get a replacement first. We need a top pick.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RM22

Post by RM22 »

Only a stupid GM would trade for Kirk Cousins and his salary.

Thanks Rick!

Top 10 GM!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Doesn't matter what QB we get. Does any QB under a Zimstone offense excite you?

Get Spielman and Zimmer out of here before handling a young QB.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
CasualObserverGuy

Post by CasualObserverGuy »

It all flows downhill. The GM doesn't understand the game, or where it's going.. He hired a coach to fix a problem, but the other side of the ball imploded under his leadership and has no foreseeable direction forward. We burned up all that good defense capital with middling offense.

Gotta go try and get a QB. That's the best chance at 7-13 years of relevance. The other positions, primarily the trenches, only have dominance in waves due to the turnover and injuries, so if you have the QB, then you can catch greatness when you get that rare opportunity for both to be in sync.

The window on defensive teams closes sooo fast. There's nothing wrong with a defensive-minded coach if the QB is practically the coach on the field.
Jesus threw the money changers out of the Temple in Jerusalem. We need to throw the bankers out of Washington.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

CasualObserverGuy wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:42 pm It all flows downhill. The GM doesn't understand the game, or where it's going.. He hired a coach to fix a problem, but the other side of the ball imploded under his leadership and has no foreseeable direction forward. We burned up all that good defense capital with middling offense.

Gotta go try and get a QB. That's the best chance at 7-13 years of relevance. The other positions, primarily the trenches, only have dominance in waves due to the turnover and injuries, so if you have the QB, then you can catch greatness when you get that rare opportunity for both to be in sync.

The window on defensive teams closes sooo fast. There's nothing wrong with a defensive-minded coach if the QB is practically the coach on the field.
Here is the answer. Salary caps these days shortens teams windows to success and for the most part only the teams with elite or near elite QB's can have a decade straight or more or relevance. Kirk isn't terrible but he's not good enough to lead a rebuilding team to any success. Can we FINALLY get ourselves a big timer in the draft? It's a long shot to get Lawerence but their are a couple other studs who I'd certainly take over Kirk. We deserve an elite QB...we really do!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

Since it will more than likely take a full year for Dak to completely recover from his ankle injury it seems to me we should approach Dallas about trading Cousins to them for something like 7 players and 7 draft picks including their #1 pick for the next 3 years, a couple twos and a few others. Maybe get a LB, a couple DBs , a DE and a few prospects.
In Kwesi we trust.
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

RM22 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:14 pm Fix it by getting rid of Spielman. And (Unfortunately) Zimmer. Rick ruined this team. And I will bet my life that Zimmer hates Rick.

Trade Theilen. Trade Yannick. Trade Harris. Trade Cousins to Dallas.

And DRAFT BEST AVIALBLE PLAYERS!!!
I bet Zim dislikes Rick as well.

if we trade Cousins to Dallas it is a lock he wins them a Super Bowl. Our trades with Dallas are cursed. Maybe trade him to Cleveland or better Vegas.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

No GM is stupid enough to trade for Cousins. That salary is a dealbreaker for most teams.

Fire Spielman to send a message down the line.

Then again. Just keep doing what we are doing for now to keep losing games. Look at Atlanta. They had a spark, and we don’t need a spark right now. We need to lose a lot for a big pick!
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

cunningham wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:17 am No GM is stupid enough to trade for Cousins. That salary is a dealbreaker for most teams.

Then again. Just keep doing what we are doing for now to keep losing games. Look at Atlanta. They had a spark, and we don’t need a spark right now. We need to lose a lot for a big pick!
My post is meant to be read as sarcasm in memory of the Walker trade. For those old enough to remember it.
In Kwesi we trust.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

PurpleFloyd wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:34 am
cunningham wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:17 am No GM is stupid enough to trade for Cousins. That salary is a dealbreaker for most teams.

My post is meant to be read as sarcasm in memory of the Walker trade. For those old enough to remember it.
I know. Others were saying to trade Cousins too. I was joking that we have the only GM dumb enough to extend a guy in his contract year who is questionable.

Sergeant Rubetube was saying this offseason that the 49ers and Rams might have interest in a trade. Wishful thinking.

The problem is that quarterbacks are eating up too much of the cap and it is make or break for an entire organization with the cap. Maybe the league puts a cap on position pay? But I suppose that is the part that makes the cap force competition in the league. You can draft a guy and build a team around him for several years. Then when he peaks you need to win. If the peak passes and you don’t you have to draft another.

We went from Teddy about to hit his payday, gave the payday to Bradford, didn’t work. At that point we had to win in the next two years or start over. We didn’t.

The dumb move was to extend Cousins and start rebuilding at other positions. The window closed long ago and we are just getting worse now. The window is shut and this whole thing busted.
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

We dont have to have the top pick to get a franchise QB.

They just have to pick one.

They have used as many if not more picks on kickers, punters, and long snappers then they have on QBs since Spielman showed up.

For a team that hasnt had their guy for decades, that's disgusting.

Ponder in 2011, then in 2012 Wilson, Foles, and even Kirk were available in the 3rd or later.

They said fuck that we got out guy. Ponder has been out of the league a few years, and 2 of those QBs have won a super bowl.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Remove the dinosaurs and their way of playing the game. It doesn't work anymore. Fire Spielman too. Draft a damn QB already. Spielman has never allowed any QB competition, nor had an heir apparent around, to push the starter. Ponder doesn't count. Everyone on the planet not named Rick Spielman knew that was a joke. Teddy was unlucky. Other than that, zero resources draft wise have gone to the QB position. The most important in the game, and they ignore it.

Other than that, there's some talent here. They just need a real leader under center. One the team knows they can count on. Attitude is everything. Maybe address the OL a bit wouldn't be a bad idea someday either.
Let's get Tropical
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

You dont fix it. YOu throw it into the dumpster and save up to buy next years model brand new
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

shoteh wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:59 pm By not winning any more games the rest of the season.
This is really all that needs to be said. So many people breaking down meaningless games at this point. Zimmer is a good coach, not great. Spielman is an OK gm, could the VIkings do better? Of course. I'm not sure on Kubiak as the OC, he's probably OK but I'm all aboard a rookie qb over Cousins at this point.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
focker

Post by focker »

You have to make the O line an actual priority, and not a patchwork of hopes and maybe's...
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

We hope that SF trades us a #7 pick for Kirk, his contract and a future first rounder - obviously. Either that, or we pay Kirk 44 million, and suck for a few years.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

You don't fix this.. you just ride it out.

Fire Zimm and Spielman now. You're not getting out from under the Cousins contract. You have to keep playing him, unless you cut him. But you're going to have to take the cap hit. No way you get rid of that. It's going to be at least two years before this team can start to be competitive again.. you just have to try and stash as much young talent as you can now. No reason to keep any veterans.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

BuDG123 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:23 am We hope that SF trades us a #7 pick for Kirk, his contract and a future first rounder - obviously. Either that, or we pay Kirk 44 million, and suck for a few years.
we don't pay him $44M.
we only him $21M in actual real money, but we have an extra $20M leftover from his signing bonus that has yet to hit the cap, which is triggered if we release him.
That's where we get the $41M cap hit next year to release him. It's still only $21M in real money.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Bench Reiff and O’Neal.

Sign Josh Kline, TJ Clemmings, and Willie Beavers to pair with Bradbury and Samia for the OL.

Cousins Retires.

Problem solved.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov