Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

So how do we fix this?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
cunningham

Re: So how do we fix this?

Post by cunningham »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:18 am Bench Reiff and O’Neal.

Sign Josh Kline, TJ Clemmings, and Willie Beavers to pair with Bradbury and Samia for the OL.

Cousins Retires.

Problem solved.
:clap:

He will get a Bradford/TJack injury soon, but Rick and Mike need yo be fired now.

Otherwise I doubt anyone show up to the next game.

Imagine all those empty seats and a blackout! That will send a message! JK
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:18 am Bench Reiff and O’Neal.

Sign Josh Kline, TJ Clemmings, and Willie Beavers to pair with Bradbury and Samia for the OL.

Cousins Retires.

Problem solved.
Well played. :lol:
hategreenticemase

1. Fire Spielman.
2. Fire Zimmer.
3. Fire Kubiak.
4. Patterson interim guy.

Do not give away guys, but actively try and trade following if can get any sort of commensurate value:

1. Reiff
2. Rudolph. Ok, good one, but one can dream.
3. Either S. I really dont want to lose Smith, he is still a very good player, but given Cousins contract, how can this legitimately be anything other than a 2 year rebuild? What good is he to us if we arent good again til 2023?
4. Thielen for same reason as Smith. What good is he to us if we arent good again til 2023?
5. Obviously Cousins, but is that even remotely possible? Or cut him whenever it is the smartest cap date to do it.

Beefie or anyone, what is cap scenario of we traded Cousins?
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:55 am 1. Fire Spielman.
2. Fire Zimmer.
3. Fire Kubiak.

Do not give away guys, but actively try and trade following if can get any sort of commensurate value:

1. Reiff
3. Either S. I really dont want to lose Smith, he is still a very good player, but given Cousins contract, how can this legitimately be anything other than a 2 year rebuild? What good is he to us if we arent good again til 2023?
4. Thielen for same reason as Smith. What good is he to us if we arent good again til 2023?
5. Obviously Cousins, but is that even remotely possible? Or cut him whenever it is the smartest cap date to do it.

2023 is a long, long time away.... rebuilds in the NFL happen quickly with the right pieces.

Cousins they're stuck with for now.. you can cut him in the first three days of the league year in March and just take his 35 mil cap hit as a dead cap hit I think... that at least makes it easier for 2022 cap hit.

I do agree they need to explore trades.. Rudolph/Reiff/Harris for sure. Not sure I punt on Smith.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
hategreenticemase

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:58 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:55 am 1. Fire Spielman.
2. Fire Zimmer.
3. Fire Kubiak.

1. Reiff

2023 is a long, long time away.... rebuilds in the NFL happen quickly with the right pieces.

Cousins they're stuck with for now.. you can cut him in the first three days of the league year in March and just take his 35 mil cap hit as a dead cap hit I think... that at least makes it easier for 2022 cap hit.

I do agree they need to explore trades.. Rudolph/Reiff/Harris for sure. Not sure I punt on Smith.
I totally agree that is normally the case but you are completely missing the point. There is no way they can rebuild in one year as its not just a qb they need, and the real point is, until Cousins contract is cleared, they cant make other moves.

Meaning, they can absolutely end up with the qb they need, but with the albatross contract, they wont have solved enough of G,G,LT, DT, Maybe DE depending on Yannick and S. And this assumes the corners they have can be developed enough to be good next year.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:43 pm First order of business is to figure out a way to get some team to trade for Kirk Cousins and get a portion of his dead money settled.

Right now, Cousins stands to count a ridiculous $45 million against the cap in 2022, his final year. And that entire 2022 salary is guaranteed on the 3rd day of the league year in 2021. The rub is that if you cut Cousins prior to that 3rd day of the 2021 league year, it hits you with $41 million in dead money.

They are fucked until 2022 is over unless they can get someone to trade for Cousins and take on some of that cap burden (I don’t even know if that’s how it works).
https://m.startribune.com/souhan-far-f ... 572789842/

He would be a $10 million dead cap hit if they cut him after 2021 according to Souhan in this article.

They need to draft a QB and let him develop in 2021 behind Kirk. After that, cut Kirk and let it roll.

I’d be open to keeping Zim and firing Speilman, but have Zim on a short leash next year. Let the new GM decide on the HC after 2021.

If they fire both Zim and Speilman, I really would like for them to go hard after Bieniemy or Lincoln Riley for HC. I’d offer the brinks truck to KC’s GM or bring in his Assistant GM.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:14 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:43 pm First order of business is to figure out a way to get some team to trade for Kirk Cousins and get a portion of his dead money settled.

Right now, Cousins stands to count a ridiculous $45 million against the cap in 2022, his final year. And that entire 2022 salary is guaranteed on the 3rd day of the league year in 2021. The rub is that if you cut Cousins prior to that 3rd day of the 2021 league year, it hits you with $41 million in dead money.

They are fucked until 2022 is over unless they can get someone to trade for Cousins and take on some of that cap burden (I don’t even know if that’s how it works).

He would be a $10 million dead cap hit if they cut him after 2021 according to Souhan in this article.

They need to draft a QB and let him develop in 2021 behind Kirk. After that, cut Kirk and let it roll.

I’d be open to keeping Zim and firing Speilman, but have Zim on a short leash next year. Let the new GM decide on the HC after 2021.

If they fire both Zim and Speilman, I really would like for them to go hard after Bieniemy or Lincoln Riley for HC. I’d offer the brinks truck to KC’s GM or bring in his Assistant GM.
If that's true about cutting him after 2021 for $10 million, that's great. You cut him then.

I've heard that his entire 2022 salary becomes guaranteed before the 2021 season, and cutting him before the 2021 season would result in like $41 million in dead cap money, which would be catastrophic.

I don't know which is right now I guess.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:11 pm
Small Hands wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:14 pm

If that's true about cutting him after 2021 for $10 million, that's great. You cut him then.

I've heard that his entire 2022 salary becomes guaranteed before the 2021 season, and cutting him before the 2021 season would result in like $41 million in dead cap money, which would be catastrophic.

I don't know which is right now I guess.
I think the article is wrong.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Any real fix will take years.

Since I’m in control, I fire Spielman and Zimmer immediately. I play out this season explaining to all my players this is a tryout for next year. I build in the trenches. I make sure our oline and line are very good.

I keep Jefferson, Cook, and Irv Smith on the offensive side. I don’t have anyone I absolutely have to keep, but I probably keep Gladney and Danzler.

Every other decision I make, is based on three years to get back into the playoffs.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Sid Hartman lived 100 years and never saw a single Vikings Super Bowl win.

That about sums up this franchise!

#Moist

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

Need to tank and get one of the top 3 QB's in the draft. Major rebuild, doubt you can get much in trade for our older veterans.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

The Vikings should keep disastrous guard Dru Samia out of the lineup...
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/301 ... ns#cousins
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

What’s the COVID clause Did Rob Brzezinski sneak in during the last restructuring? Could that kick in this year?
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

How depressing.

I would just keep telling the team to do what they are doing. Keep losing and get a higher draft pick.

The moment the season ends you fire all of the coaches and the GM. Bring in a new GM and build this thing right. Let the GM pick his coaches and totally rebuild. Trade all the vets. Barr, Smith, Rudolph, Thielen, etc.

Tell Cousins you are drafting someone and he will be a full in. Let Cousins whine to his agent and ask for a trade. Otherwise he is our bridge quarterback next season.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

The fix is going to be long and painful, and to tell you the truth, unexpected. But here are the steps we need to take in my opinion.

1. Mike Zimmer and the coaching staff needs to be fired. The only assistant coach I would consider retaining is Patterson. Mike Zimmer, Gary Kubiak, and Dom Zimmer have had their day, and those days were 20+ years ago. I think Zimmer would still be a very competent, and perhaps very good, defensive coordinator. I would even have the balls to ask him if he would take that job. Other people have brought it up, but I wonder what the inclusion of these coaches sons amongst the coaching staff had any impact?

You can argue otherwise, but 80% of Kirk Cousins' problems is that we run a very simplistic offense by even NCAA or some top rated HIGH SCHOOL program standards. It is conservative by design because Mike Zimmer wants to be safe with the football, use time of possession, and win the field position battle. Then his elite defense will snuff the opponents offenses and eventually the field position and grinding will win the day 17-13.

Instead, I hire a younger, offensive minded coach who can bring the full, modern NFL offense to the team's playbook. A guy like Joe Brady who will bring in spread and RPO concepts, along with a complete passing game scheme. There is a risk involved in bringing in a young guy without head coaching experience, but it is the risk that needs to be taken.

2. While this is not the only restructuring that needs to happen, my first move is a complete restructure of Kirk Cousins contract that eliminates the 2022 salary guarantee and restructures his $21 million 2021 base into signing over the next 3 years. Like with Riley Reiff this season, it is a take it or leave it deal and I will eat the entire dead if he refuses. I only want him as a caretaker QB for the 2021 season anyways and with the team tanking there are going to be major cuts of the roster of high salary players it really should not matter.

3. If we are going to tank rebuild, there is going to be a slaughter amongst the top 15 paid players on the team. Including Cousins, I would seriously entertain releasing 10 of them, only keeping Hunter, Kendricks, Pierce, Cook, and Bradbury with Kendricks and Pierce being maybes. Releasing Cousins, Barr, Thielen, Smith, Rudolph, amongst others will be hard because they were great players but for the ownership and future of the team it just isn't the cap hit, it is the hard currency they are paying out without the results. If you are Zygi WIlf do you want to pay Adam Thielen, a very popular player $11.1 million in salary or take a fake $5.4 million cap "hit" (money you have already paid him)?

4. This team is going to have some glaring holes but I think they still have a lot to rebuild around. On offense, they would have Dalvin Cook, Justin Jefferson, Irv Smith, and a reasonable core to build around on the offensive line in ONeil, Cleveland, and Bradbury. On defense you would have Hunter, Pierce, Kendricks, Dantzler, Gladney, and Dye. But this is were the young guys drafted in 2020 and the butt load of draft picks we have in 2021 come into play. We get the 2020 guys on the field, even a 5th round guy like Harrison Hand, and get them reps in practice and in the game. We are tanking for a high pick and firing the coaching staff, so who cares about wins-losses. Experience and evaluation are everything. And we need to do things that the current coaching staff would never even dream of: start Ezra Cleveland not at guard but OT (it is doubtful Cousins is our 2021 QB so who gives a fuck about him, and I am one of the biggest Cousins bobos out there). Feature Irv Smith as a real TE threat throwing the ball down the seams. Start James Lynch. Start Troy Dye if he gets off IR. Try to find a marginal safety free agent and give him rotational time.

5. Of course, with a new offensive minded coaching staff and picking at the top of the draft we will focus on a quarterback prospect in the draft. Hopefully we will be in position to select Justin Fields at a minimum. I trade up for him if it is doable. We go as far and fast as teh coaching staff and that QB can take us.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:03 pm The fix is going to be long and painful, and to tell you the truth, unexpected. But here are the steps we need to take in my opinion.

1. Mike Zimmer and the coaching staff needs to be fired. The only assistant coach I would consider retaining is Patterson. Mike Zimmer, Gary Kubiak, and Dom Zimmer have had their day, and those days were 20+ years ago. I think Zimmer would still be a very competent, and perhaps very good, defensive coordinator. I would even have the balls to ask him if he would take that job. Other people have brought it up, but I wonder what the inclusion of these coaches sons amongst the coaching staff had any impact?

You can argue otherwise, but 80% of Kirk Cousins' problems is that we run a very simplistic offense by even NCAA or some top rated HIGH SCHOOL program standards. It is conservative by design because Mike Zimmer wants to be safe with the football, use time of possession, and win the field position battle. Then his elite defense will snuff the opponents offenses and eventually the field position and grinding will win the day 17-13.

Instead, I hire a younger, offensive minded coach who can bring the full, modern NFL offense to the team's playbook. A guy like Joe Brady who will bring in spread and RPO concepts, along with a complete passing game scheme. There is a risk involved in bringing in a young guy without head coaching experience, but it is the risk that needs to be taken.

2. While this is not the only restructuring that needs to happen, my first move is a complete restructure of Kirk Cousins contract that eliminates the 2022 salary guarantee and restructures his $21 million 2021 base into signing over the next 3 years. Like with Riley Reiff this season, it is a take it or leave it deal and I will eat the entire dead if he refuses. I only want him as a caretaker QB for the 2021 season anyways and with the team tanking there are going to be major cuts of the roster of high salary players it really should not matter.

3. If we are going to tank rebuild, there is going to be a slaughter amongst the top 15 paid players on the team. Including Cousins, I would seriously entertain releasing 10 of them, only keeping Hunter, Kendricks, Pierce, Cook, and Bradbury with Kendricks and Pierce being maybes. Releasing Cousins, Barr, Thielen, Smith, Rudolph, amongst others will be hard because they were great players but for the ownership and future of the team it just isn't the cap hit, it is the hard currency they are paying out without the results. If you are Zygi WIlf do you want to pay Adam Thielen, a very popular player $11.1 million in salary or take a fake $5.4 million cap "hit" (money you have already paid him)?

4. This team is going to have some glaring holes but I think they still have a lot to rebuild around. On offense, they would have Dalvin Cook, Justin Jefferson, Irv Smith, and a reasonable core to build around on the offensive line in ONeil, Cleveland, and Bradbury. On defense you would have Hunter, Pierce, Kendricks, Dantzler, Gladney, and Dye. But this is were the young guys drafted in 2020 and the butt load of draft picks we have in 2021 come into play. We get the 2020 guys on the field, even a 5th round guy like Harrison Hand, and get them reps in practice and in the game. We are tanking for a high pick and firing the coaching staff, so who cares about wins-losses. Experience and evaluation are everything. And we need to do things that the current coaching staff would never even dream of: start Ezra Cleveland not at guard but OT (it is doubtful Cousins is our 2021 QB so who gives a fuck about him, and I am one of the biggest Cousins bobos out there). Feature Irv Smith as a real TE threat throwing the ball down the seams. Start James Lynch. Start Troy Dye if he gets off IR. Try to find a marginal safety free agent and give him rotational time.

5. Of course, with a new offensive minded coaching staff and picking at the top of the draft we will focus on a quarterback prospect in the draft. Hopefully we will be in position to select Justin Fields at a minimum. I trade up for him if it is doable. We go as far and fast as teh coaching staff and that QB can take us.
if that plan includes keeping spielman on as GM-hard pass.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:10 pm
mlhouse wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:03 pm The fix is going to be long and painful, and to tell you the truth, unexpected. But here are the steps we need to take in my opinion.

This. They all need to go.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

I thought I was the new GM.... but I keep Spielman as the GM. I believe that given the injury situation we had at QB and the team that Mike Zimmer wanted, Spielman has been a quality GM. The team's record over the past decade proves this.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:28 pm

I thought I was the new GM.... but I keep Spielman as the GM. I believe that given the injury situation we had at QB and the team that Mike Zimmer wanted, Spielman has been a quality GM. The team's record over the past decade proves this.
How does the teams record over the last decade prove it?

He has about a .500 record as GM and has never had a playoff team in consecutive seasons.

He's as mediocre as it gets. Hughes looks like shit, Bradbury has been god awful, traded away a first rounder for Bradford etc..

I don't want him gone as bad as Zimmer but I don't know why anyone would care if we lost him.

He also just extended Kirk.

The Vikings are on the same trajectory they have been my whole life no matter the GM. Once every decade they have a really good team that ends up shitting it's pants in the NFCCG.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:24 pm

This times 3. No brainer, and RS should be the first one to go, period.

Mlhouse, I like most of your thoughts above but it is beyond ludicrous to suggest RS should stay. Laughable, really.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:03 pm

Mlhouse, I like most of your thoughts above but it is beyond ludicrous to suggest RS should stay. Laughable, really.
Again, the Vikings have the 12th best record over the past decade in the NFL. That is a more than substantial achievement, particularly when the top 5 teams all had Hall of Fame quarterbacks that almost never were injured. Claining this is meaningless is idiotic.

In this span, the Vikings have had significant injury problems at the QB position that has really cost them a lot of value. That is a critical variable outside the GMs control. If Bridgewater does not blow out his knee, then they can build other positions in the draft around him.

Some specific issues: Mike Hughes. Anyone who claims to be a "Best Player Available" drafter should shut their mouths because that is what this pick was. I also believe it was heavily influenced by the head coach. Hughes' career is probably done because of a serious neck injury and he blew out his ACL his rookie year that probably hindered his development significantly.

Garrett Bradbury: this is an example of not everyone is perfect. I criticized this pick when it was made, presented an alternative scenario that would have been significantly better, and stated this was a mistake by Spielman. Not everything Rick does has been correct.

I would not be adverse to Spielman leaving, but the fact is he has built talent up and down the roster over more than a decade. It would also be refreshing if the criticism of Spielman was actually based on reality, not some Rube's anger because Rick upset their NFL draft viewing by trading down.
salamander

Post by salamander »

I was high on Spielman until the last couple years. He's done nothing to fix this trash oline and he shows no signs of doing it anytime soon.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
RM22

Post by RM22 »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:53 pm

Again, the Vikings have the 12th best record over the past decade in the NFL. That is a more than substantial achievement, particularly when the top 5 teams all had Hall of Fame quarterbacks that almost never were injured. Claining this is meaningless is idiotic.

In this span, the Vikings have had significant injury problems at the QB position that has really cost them a lot of value. That is a critical variable outside the GMs control. If Bridgewater does not blow out his knee, then they can build other positions in the draft around him.

Some specific issues: Mike Hughes. Anyone who claims to be a "Best Player Available" drafter should shut their mouths because that is what this pick was. I also believe it was heavily influenced by the head coach. Hughes' career is probably done because of a serious neck injury and he blew out his ACL his rookie year that probably hindered his development significantly.

Garrett Bradbury: this is an example of not everyone is perfect. I criticized this pick when it was made, presented an alternative scenario that would have been significantly better, and stated this was a mistake by Spielman. Not everything Rick does has been correct.

I would not be adverse to Spielman leaving, but the fact is he has built talent up and down the roster over more than a decade. It would also be refreshing if the criticism of Spielman was actually based on reality, not some Rube's anger because Rick upset their NFL draft viewing by trading down.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

salamander wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:06 pm I was high on Spielman until the last couple years. He's done nothing to fix this trash oline and he shows no signs of doing it anytime soon.
Drafted O'Neil in the 2nd, Bradbury in the first, and now Cleveland in the 2nd???? I am not going to claim that those were all the greatest moves, but claiming he has "done nothing" is not the case, right?

For example, and you can go read the forum to verify, in 2019 instead of drafting Bradbury are 18 I would have traded down and selected Jawaan Taylor and then in the 2nd traded up an taken Eric McCoy. Both players were first team all-rookie last season.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

RM22 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:12 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Care to explain how the GM of a team with the 12th best record over the decade he was the GM isn't essentially a top 10 GM? What is really funny is morons like you pretending that we have been some sort of bottom feeder throughout the course of his tenure.
hategreenticemase

This is hogwash. Zimmer is much like Denny Green in that he will usually always raise a team to competency and have them be able to compete whether or not they are as talented as others. Green had a great offensive scheme and Zimmer a Def one. Both got players to play hard and be accountable. Greens teams were front runners and not physical and this is one are Zimmer is far better than Green as his team's are physical.

The point is I would give VASTLY more credit to Zimmer for the record we have. When you play Defense and are physical and control turnovers and penalties you are at minimum going to be a quality team and compete. This isn't some big sell job on Zimmer - I am ready to move on. Need a new vision and I am ready to move on from him. But it's also an accurate account to point out he is a guy who would be good raising a team to relevancy just like it is to say about Green, a guy I despised but still would give him that same credit. Zimmer is the reason for improved consistency way more tha RS is.

I could care fucking less about trading down - you are right there are dummies here (biggest one being super douchebag who why you ever engage him is beyond comprehension) who that is their biggest complaint. That has no part of my argument, just making that clear. Couldn't care less.

A very strong case can be made that on draft misses or decisions alone he should be fired. I dont need that case. Wanted to make that clear. But for damn sure the Ponders, Patterson, Treadwell, and many more killed this team.

If I go into detail, this post will be 18 fucking paragraphs so I will just summarize it into this. Here are simply a handful of reasons he should be fired.

1. Retaining Jeff Davidson. This is where the 6 year ol debacle was born.
2. This team was on the cusp for a half decade and undone every fucking year by the same fucking issue. He massively failed to fix it.
3. He has mangled the qb position and back up qb position more often than he has had it right. Mannion is our fn back up for F sakes. Bradford trade was a debacle.
4. Signing Cousins to a massive contract and then not ensuring he has a competent OL is a fireable offense in of itself.
5. Allowing a scenario to unfold where we lose ALL 3 top corners in one offseason.

Again, a case can be made on drafting alone. While there has been gems also, overall its too many bad misses and head scratching decisions. But the handful of reasons above (not a complete list) is more than enough to warrant firing.

It's absurd he still has a job.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

Oscar wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:47 pm Sid Hartman lived 100 years and never saw a single Vikings Super Bowl win.

That about sums up this franchise!

#Moist

:lol: :lol: :lol:
101 wouldn’t have helped him a bit in that regard
In Kwesi we trust.
RM22

Post by RM22 »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:18 am
RM22 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:12 pm

Care to explain how the GM of a team with the 12th best record over the decade he was the GM isn't essentially a top 10 GM? What is really funny is morons like you pretending that we have been some sort of bottom feeder throughout the course of his tenure.
I'm not the one pretending. You are. He sucks. I've told you he sucks. Countless better players he has missed on. Terrible QB signing. And never fixed the offensive line.

You are the Moran.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Lots of great stuff in here, if you can sort through the personal attacks...feels like political season LOL. First of all, it's funny how fast shit can turn south. We lost to two good teams (Tenn & Sea) by 1 point each game. Could've easily won both. And even if we would've just beat Seattle, I think we handle Atlanta fairly easily--though you see the 'dead cat bounce' quite often when a team changes coaches. Anyways, the crushing nature of the Seattle defeat is hard to truly quantify. I kinda liken this to Chilly's last year--I don't think anyone could foresee that collapse. But, then again, it's hard to overcome such a crushing defeat like Chilly's team did in New Orleans.

So...I fully expect this to get uglier and uglier. I guess I really looked at Rick/Zim/Kirk being connected at the hip. I've used 'roster prioritization' before when critiquing Spielman...I know he's used relatively high draft capital with Elflein, Bradbury, and Cleveland. Nonetheless, I still contend that either the Barr or the Harris (or both) money should've went to the offensive line considering he's had enough of a sample size with Kirk at QB.

It feels like it's time to fully blow this up--especially since there seems to be some legit long-term answers at QB in the draft. If we go the route of changing the power structure and drafting a QB, I guess I do whatever is possible to get Kirk's contracts off-the-books after 2021. If it means having an enormous cap hit next year but we're free-and-clear in 2022, so be it--we're gonna suck next year on a rebuild, anyways. I would probably look to trade any movable veterans, too--though the trade market for old dudes making big dollars in the NFL isn't very high--too bad--Rick could've probably collected a handful more 7th round picks.

So...how bad does this get? We're not gonna be able to 'usurp' the Jets for Lawrence. So, is it time for 'Feeble for Fields'?
hategreenticemase

Angry Waters wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:39 am Lots of great stuff in here, if you can sort through the personal attacks...feels like political season LOL. First of all, it's funny how fast shit can turn south. We lost to two good teams (Tenn & Sea) by 1 point each game. Could've easily won both. And even if we would've just beat Seattle, I think we handle Atlanta fairly easily--though you see the 'dead cat bounce' quite often when a team changes coaches. Anyways, the crushing nature of the Seattle defeat is hard to truly quantify. I kinda liken this to Chilly's last year--I don't think anyone could foresee that collapse. But, then again, it's hard to overcome such a crushing defeat like Chilly's team did in New Orleans.

So...I fully expect this to get uglier and uglier. I guess I really looked at Rick/Zim/Kirk being connected at the hip. I've used 'roster prioritization' before when critiquing Spielman...I know he's used relatively high draft capital with Elflein, Bradbury, and Cleveland. Nonetheless, I still contend that either the Barr or the Harris (or both) money should've went to the offensive line considering he's had enough of a sample size with Kirk at QB.

It feels like it's time to fully blow this up--especially since there seems to be some legit long-term answers at QB in the draft. If we go the route of changing the power structure and drafting a QB, I guess I do whatever is possible to get Kirk's contracts off-the-books after 2021. If it means having an enormous cap hit next year but we're free-and-clear in 2022, so be it--we're gonna suck next year on a rebuild, anyways. I would probably look to trade any movable veterans, too--though the trade market for old dudes making big dollars in the NFL isn't very high--too bad--Rick could've probably collected a handful more 7th round picks.

So...how bad does this get? We're not gonna be able to 'usurp' the Jets for Lawrence. So, is it time for 'Feeble for Fields'?
This team wouldn't need to be a two year rebuild. Cousins contract is what necessitates that, as you pointed out, we have to take the gulp on dead money. Unless we can trade him somehow I don't see a way around that as we won't have money to fill other non qb needs. Thus, its a two year deal.

Rest of year you get Udoh some time, you start Cleveland at LT, you get Collins some time at G. Right now we have 3 decent lineman in our two T and Bradbury. Reiff is going away and if I can trade him he is my first guy I try to move. I believe Elf can be a decent 6th man. So, minus Reiff we have 3 ok guys of the 6 we need. So, rest of season is all about figuring out of we have ANY others that can be ok next year. If we are lucky 1 will emerge. This leaves us still needing two lineman.

Corners get trial by fire. Hopefully Zims prowess at developing corners is rubbed off on remaining coaches and Gladney and Dantzler are functional by years end. Maybe we only need one corner.

I'd consider trading Thielen if I can get value.