Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2021 Draft Talk

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
RM22

Re: 2021 Draft Talk

Post by RM22 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:52 pm

It, in itself, is a bad “take” to make any wide sweeping claims based on one or two games.

Remember when you saw Keenum throw one miracle TD and then proclaimed that the Vikings should give him a big money multi-year extension?

That being said, I’m about ready to eat crow on Cousins. He’s still a good QB if he has a clean pocket, but that’s not really a reality here.

Zimmer, I’m about done with him too.

Rick, I still maintain is a good GM. I fully realize I’m in the minority on this, but it’s just my opinion.
Talking out of both sides of your mouth. It wasn't just 1 throw. It was road wins in Chicago, Washington, Detroit nd Atlanta. He also came back in the road game vs Carolina only to have the defense give up the long run to James Stewart.

Big contract to Keenum? It would've been 15 million per season. 2 years. Now we are in Cousins 3rd years and 2 more on the books. Bridgewater is making 21 million. Giving Cousins a huge deal was a total mistake. Top 10 GMs do not do that. On top of not having anything on the OL to protect his multi million dollar mistake.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

cunningham wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:07 am
SKOLTROL wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:52 pm

Hypothesize this: Chase, Moore, Bateman, etc. Lets do this.
I can’t believe Ash, the biggest Cousins/Spielman ballwasher started this thread after the first game. Granted he only really cares about drafts, but this someone who has built up Rick and Kirk on these boards more than most.

Just cannot make it up how bad of takes some have had here on these new boards.
It, in itself, is a bad “take” to make any wide sweeping claims based on one or two games.

Remember when you saw Keenum throw one miracle TD and then proclaimed that the Vikings should give him a big money multi-year extension?

That being said, I’m about ready to eat crow on Cousins. He’s still a good QB if he has a clean pocket, but that’s not really a reality here.

Zimmer, I’m about done with him too.

Rick, I still maintain is a good GM. I fully realize I’m in the minority on this, but it’s just my opinion.
He is not. He sucks. Which has been my argument for years.

Keenum could have don’t better than Cousins these last two games and I don’t even know if he is still in the league at this point.

And my point back then was to sign Keenum and draft Lamar Jackson. Dwayne Haskins would have been better than Cousins today. The Love guy who we could have had would have been better.

Hell, Christian Ponder would have been better.

Spielman and Cousins should never have been resigned, but when Rick did extend Cousins it showed how messed up this team is.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

cunningham wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:07 am
SKOLTROL wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:52 pm

Hypothesize this: Chase, Moore, Bateman, etc. Lets do this.
I can’t believe Ash, the biggest Cousins/Spielman ballwasher started this thread after the first game. Granted he only really cares about drafts, but this someone who has built up Rick and Kirk on these boards more than most.

Just cannot make it up how bad of takes some have had here on these new boards.

Here's the thing, and its simply baffling - the OL was awful yesterday, but Cousins was horrible ALL the time. Plays he had plenty of time he was horrible - and this just in, week 1 the ol wasn't nearly as bad as yest, not even close - yet Cousins sucked. I think if the OL plays "ok" yesterday Cousins would have still sucked. Something has changed or is wrong as it simply doesn't make sense. Its amazing how bad he was.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

RM22 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:04 pm Rick wins every draft! Just ask Ash and Mlhouse.
Moron, go actually read how I evaluate Spielman's drafts. You are a total simpleton.
RM22

Post by RM22 »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:23 am
RM22 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:04 pm Rick wins every draft! Just ask Ash and Mlhouse.
Moron, go actually read how I evaluate Spielman's drafts. You are a total simpleton.
I know it's not in your vocabulary. But you were wrong.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

RM22 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:25 am
mlhouse wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:23 am
I know it's not in your vocabulary. But you were wrong.
Simpleton! Again, go actually read how I evaluate Spielman's drafts.
Gordonbombay

Post by Gordonbombay »

witljon wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:41 am
jffl_commish wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:57 pm The bright side of today's loss is that they're sill in the running for Trevor Lawrence.
I don’t think 8-8 is going to get him.
You think this team is capable of winning 8 games??????
witljon

Post by witljon »

Gordonbombay wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:28 pm
witljon wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:41 am
jffl_commish wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:57 pm The bright side of today's loss is that they're sill in the running for Trevor Lawrence.
I don’t think 8-8 is going to get him.
You think this team is capable of winning 8 games??????
That’s what I thought before the season started.
What did you think?
Gordonbombay

Post by Gordonbombay »

I had them at 9-7 roughly. This is looking like the 2011 version team that went 3-13
dRUSH

Post by dRUSH »

These kids are so good today I think a lot has to do with the place they’re drafted. Some staffs can develop players others can’t.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

CBS Sports latest mock for 2021.

Round 1 - Pick 14 - Vikings

Rashawn Slater OL
NORTHWESTERN • JR • 6'3" / 305 LBS

PROJECTED TEAM
Minnesota

PROSPECT RNK
25th

POSITION RNK
4th

The Vikings have real needs along the interior offensive line and Slater, who was dominant at left tackle last season -- he played right tackle the two seasons before that -- has the versatility to line up anywhere. In fact, his future may be inside at guard, which fits exactly what Minnesota needs right now.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Keep an eye on this kid. He's rising up draft boards.

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
salamander

Post by salamander »

I think the guy I'd want most out of this draft is Wyatt Davis (IOL). He's a monster and you don't find players with a better motor. He would immediately fix our LG spot.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

salamander wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:24 am I think the guy I'd want most out of this draft is Wyatt Davis (IOL). He's a monster and you don't find players with a better motor. He would immediately fix our LG spot.
Wyatt Davis would be a great consolation prize if the Vikings are unable to land a top QB.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:10 am
salamander wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:24 am I think the guy I'd want most out of this draft is Wyatt Davis (IOL). He's a monster and you don't find players with a better motor. He would immediately fix our LG spot.
Wyatt Davis would be a great consolation prize if the Vikings are unable to land a top QB.
He is a perfect fit for a Zone blocking team and has been described as a “destroyer of worlds”

If we unfortunately can not draft Lawrence or Fields. The guys I want right now are...

Sewell
Davis
Chase
Rousseau
Surtain
Parsons
Holland
Wilson
Dylanmoses
Waddle
Smith
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Car Ramrod wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:29 am
He is a perfect fit for a Zone blocking team and has been described as a “destroyer of worlds”

If we unfortunately can not draft Lawrence or Fields. The guys I want right now are...

Sewell
Davis
Chase
Rousseau
Surtain
Parsons
Holland
Wilson
Dylanmoses
Waddle
Smith
Parsons is going to be a stud.

I don't know if the Vikings could justify drafting a LB that high, but he is gonna be a problem for NFL teams.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

What do you guys think of Patrick Jones II, edge rusher from Pitt?

Seen him mocked to the Vikes recently.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:48 am

Sewell
Davis
Chase
Rousseau
Surtain
Parsons
Holland
Wilson
Dylanmoses
Waddle
Smith

I don't know if the Vikings could justify drafting a LB that high, but he is gonna be a problem for NFL teams.
I don't think we could justify drafting Parsons, especially if we have already re-signed Wilson, but I think that'd be a great spot for a trade down.
There's been big trade ups for LBs in the past two first rounds (Bush and Murray) and Parsons is a better prospect than both.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:05 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:48 am

Sewell
Davis
Chase
Rousseau
Surtain
Parsons
Holland
Wilson
Dylanmoses
Waddle
Smith

I don't think we could justify drafting Parsons, especially if we have already re-signed Wilson, but I think that'd be a great spot for a trade down.
There's been big trade ups for LBs in the past two first rounds (Bush and Murray) and Parsons is a better prospect than both.
Good point.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:00 pm What do you guys think of Patrick Jones II, edge rusher from Pitt?

I watched him a bit last season when it looked like he might enter the draft. He was considered more of a late 4th or later pick.

But if you watch this video highlights you can see why he is moving well up the boards. He shows a little bit of everything. Solid run-pass read. Good recognition of a possible screen pass. Good enough bend, speed rush, spin move, and power leverage move. The Louisville offensive line was completely befuddled with him that on a couple plays they literally used 3 offensive linemen to block him and double teamed him whenever he could. Pitts other edge defender is pretty good too. I once did a mock draft on thedraftnetwork and picked both of them.

He has good size and length. Adequate power.

What he really needs to work on is his hand work. He isn't powerful enough to overpower all offensive linemen and needs the proper hand techniques to disengage.

A few more games like this and we might not be in a position to draft him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suU0_PK ... mandaboss1
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:56 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:00 pm What do you guys think of Patrick Jones II, edge rusher from Pitt?

I watched him a bit last season when it looked like he might enter the draft. He was considered more of a late 4th or later pick.

But if you watch this video highlights you can see why he is moving well up the boards. He shows a little bit of everything. Solid run-pass read. Good recognition of a possible screen pass. Good enough bend, speed rush, spin move, and power leverage move. The Louisville offensive line was completely befuddled with him that on a couple plays they literally used 3 offensive linemen to block him and double teamed him whenever he could. Pitts other edge defender is pretty good too. I once did a mock draft on thedraftnetwork and picked both of them.

He has good size and length. Adequate power.

What he really needs to work on is his hand work. He isn't powerful enough to overpower all offensive linemen and needs the proper hand techniques to disengage.

A few more games like this and we might not be in a position to draft him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suU0_PK ... mandaboss1
He looks the part. How do you think he’ll do in run defense?

The little I’ve watched of him today, I haven’t seen him really show he is nfl caliber in that regard. Not saying he isn’t. Just curious your thoughts.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:30 pm

The little I’ve watched of him today, I haven’t seen him really show he is nfl caliber in that regard. Not saying he isn’t. Just curious your thoughts.
He seems to have good instincts in reading run-pass which is the first step for an edge player playing against the run. The other thing I see in him is the ability to quickly change direction against the run game. He gets low and really digs in for that upfield pass rush, but when he reads run he quickly shifts direction and is able to make the right plays.

He might be a little bit light and need another 5-10 lbs of muscle to anchor, but as a 4-3 front DE I think you can project him as a NFL caliber run defender for his position.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:19 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:30 pm

He seems to have good instincts in reading run-pass which is the first step for an edge player playing against the run. The other thing I see in him is the ability to quickly change direction against the run game. He gets low and really digs in for that upfield pass rush, but when he reads run he quickly shifts direction and is able to make the right plays.

He might be a little bit light and need another 5-10 lbs of muscle to anchor, but as a 4-3 front DE I think you can project him as a NFL caliber run defender for his position.
Will be interesting to see how he does at the combine/pro days.

If this guy tests well, he might go Top 10, like you said.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Another interesting QB prospect is Kellen Mond from A&M.

Athletic, can throw on the run, etc. but questions about whether the NFL will just be way too fast for him.

I haven't watched much on him yet.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:31 pm Another interesting QB prospect is Kellen Mond from A&M.

Athletic, can throw on the run, etc. but questions about whether the NFL will just be way too fast for him.

Kellen Mond is not a good quarterback. He is draftable in that you might make a late round stab at him to see if he can come put the pieces together. But it isnt there. His inconsistent play and poor decisions making isn't going to take steps forward moving up football levels.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:52 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:31 pm Another interesting QB prospect is Kellen Mond from A&M.

Kellen Mond is not a good quarterback. He is draftable in that you might make a late round stab at him to see if he can come put the pieces together. But it isnt there. His inconsistent play and poor decisions making isn't going to take steps forward moving up football levels.
That’s what I’ve heard on him too. Still have to watch. He’s gaining some steam though.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Whoa, the TE for the University of Florida, Kyle Pitts.

Wow.

Sign me up.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:01 am Whoa, the TE for the University of Florida, Kyle Pitts.

Wow.

Sign me up.
Yeah, if we're in the 10-20 range, there's no real need based pick that gets me excited, so might be worth taking a look at someone like Pitts. Or, can't believe I'm going to say it, Farley or Surtain if one of them falls.

Especially if we're keeping Reiff another year, I don't think we NEED to go OL in the first, so I'm opening up to getting creative with that pick.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:54 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:01 am Whoa, the TE for the University of Florida, Kyle Pitts.

Wow.

Sign me up.
Yeah, if we're in the 10-20 range, there's no real need based pick that gets me excited, so might be worth taking a look at someone like Pitts. Or, can't believe I'm going to say it, Farley or Surtain if one of them falls.

Especially if we're keeping Reiff another year, I don't think we NEED to go OL in the first, so I'm opening up to getting creative with that pick.
Ya, with all the holes this team has, let's take a TE. :lol:

They can't even use Irv properly.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:23 am
Oriole81 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:54 am

Wow.

Sign me up.

Ya, with all the holes this team has, let's take a TE. :lol:

They can't even use Irv properly.
They would have 4 good to great OL at that point, so need to take a 5th as there's a law of diminishing returns at that point. It would give us one more year to evaluate if any of Brandel, Hinton or Udoh can rise up to becoming a full time starter, and if not, then prioritize OL high again the next year.

Other than that, who else is really on the board in that range that jumps out at you?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo