Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Souhan: Vikes should sign Kaepernick

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Souhan: Vikes should sign Kaepernick

Post by RubeTube »

It's all rigged anyway. A SB in MN with Colin coming in midway through the year is just what the NFL needs in the Rona year.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:17 pm Doesnt play the system. Isn't that good to begin with. Too costly. Not worth the fucking problems.

Pretty easy decision for every NFL team to pass. Maybe if you time travel back a couple of years for him he could be a backup to Lamar Jackson.

Further, tokens are not what is required nor is a thug like Kaepernick a guy who helps bring people together. He is divisive.

If you want change, you have to vote for change. Minneapolis has been run by the same party for generations. It will never change.
Calling someone who led a peaceful protest (something everyone is begging for at the moment) a thug shows what a disgusting piece of garbage you are. People like you are what’s wrong with society today.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SKOLMN wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:51 pm
mlhouse wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:17 pm Doesnt play the system. Isn't that good to begin with. Too costly. Not worth the fucking problems.

Pretty easy decision for every NFL team to pass. Maybe if you time travel back a couple of years for him he could be a backup to Lamar Jackson.

Further, tokens are not what is required nor is a thug like Kaepernick a guy who helps bring people together. He is divisive.

If you want change, you have to vote for change. Minneapolis has been run by the same party for generations. It will never change.
Calling someone who led a peaceful protest (something everyone is begging for at the moment) a thug shows what a disgusting piece of garbage you are. People like you are what’s wrong with society today.
Go fuck yourself. I help more people of all races than you ever will you you pathetic moron.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:15 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:02 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:55 am

the problem is he isn't realistic on price.
he demanded $20M to play in the frickin XFL.

if you want to be a backup QB w/ chance to win a starting job, there's opportunities out there but you have to be self aware and realistic on price/terms in order to get an offer. that's the same thing that would be told to any similar rated fringe QB.

You can't ask for starter level salary and then complain that nobody wants you.
Sure. If he’s still on that, it’s a non-starter for the vikes anyway.

But he was totally blackballed. Since his last season in 1016, there has never been a time where there were 32 better quarterbacks than him playing in the nfl. I get why he wants starter money.
He was offered $7M by Denver in 2016, which would have tied him for 22nd on the list of QB salaries, but he rejected that.
That would have tied him by the way with Bradford and Fitzpatrick, who are probably better than him.
He instead chose to sit out the whole year.

In 2017 Baltimore was then prepared to sign him until his girlfriend made that horrible message about Bisciotti being a slave owner, so no wonder that nobody brought him in after.

I don't think its "blackballing" per se, just that 32 individual owners deciding that he's not worth the headache, which is their right. It doesn't matter that Kaep is better than guys like Sean Mannion or David Blough because that's not what personnel decisions are always made about.
Kaepernick being blackballed was 100% solidified the moment Blaine gabbert, someone Colin once replaced in the starting lineup, was awarded a job while Colin was still unsigned.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:54 pm

Go fuck yourself. I help more people of all races than you ever will you you pathetic moron.
I doubt that is true. And your response demonstrates that he pushed a button. Yes, he called you names but you responded in kind.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:57 pm

I doubt that is true. And your response demonstrates that he pushed a button. Yes, he called you names but you responded in kind.
Doubt all you want. No, I responded in the way that was appropriate for such an ignorant little pissant.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

REALLY??? STOP THE PRESS EVERYONE!! MLHOUSE HELPS PEOPLE OF ALL RACES!! You’re a modern day gandhi! Congratulations, literally changes nothing from my original point.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:02 pm

Doubt all you want. No, I responded in the way that was appropriate for such an ignorant little pissant.
One callout and mlhouse has gone unhinged. Are we sure this isn’t a trump burner account?

RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

SKOLMN wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:23 pm

REALLY??? STOP THE PRESS EVERYONE!! MLHOUSE HELPS PEOPLE OF ALL RACES!! You’re a modern day gandhi! Congratulations, literally changes nothing from my original point.
:lol: :thumbsup:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Bros Before Shiancoes

Post by Bros Before Shiancoes »

Maybe the non racists can weigh in here (so not Mlhouse). Is Kaepernick a thug?
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Why is kaepernick a thug? I disagree with him. But even if you think his wrong or self centered, why do you think that makes him a thug? You used the term so I am questioning it.
Bros Before Shiancoes

Post by Bros Before Shiancoes »

You’ll have to excuse Mlhouse fellas, this is his version of “I have black friends”. However, he has to compensate and trump it up (no pun intended), or as I like to call it “Elevator it up”. The reality is somewhere around “Filthy NY subway stairs it up”.
BigInflateable

Post by BigInflateable »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:48 am I don't really think "a show" of good faith is what anyone is really asking for. It seems like everyone just gets good with "shows" of good faith when shit happens, but then nothing actually improves, and everyone is all like "idk why nothing got better, the Vikings did sign Kaepernick".... As though that was the big change anyone actually cared about... I honestly think it would be more a slap in the face to people than anything.
Good take that paints a good picture of the reality of this situation. For the record, I certainly wouldn't go as far as calling Keap. a thug, which was stated earlier. He has IMO been out of football for too long to come in and be any real benefit to the team.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:48 am I don't really think "a show" of good faith is what anyone is really asking for. It seems like everyone just gets good with "shows" of good faith when shit happens, but then nothing actually improves, and everyone is all like "idk why nothing got better, the Vikings did sign Kaepernick".... As though that was the big change anyone actually cared about... I honestly think it would be more a slap in the face to people than anything.
Right. They should have looked at him years ago, maybe. But not now. That ship has sailed.

Besides, it would be such a transparent, pandering gesture that even if Kaep did it, which I doubt he would, I can’t imagine it having positive effect. It might backfire.

I mean, what protestor/demonstrator/rioter is going to say, “hold up, guys! Stop! Everyone go home! The Vikings signed Colin Kaepernick! We win!”
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
mancini199

Post by mancini199 »

hell no, Kaep wasn't even good the last time he was playing...Teams caught on to his play style really quick, and he never adapted to that. He was never an accurate QB to begin with. Besides all my negatives about bring him in. Zimmer is so old school I can't see him being ok with having to implement a 2nd style of offense
why not Gus

Post by why not Gus »

Any comments on Obamagate, Jarhead? Nobody divided the country more than Obama!

Pound sand, SkolMN!
BigInflateable

Post by BigInflateable »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:20 am
BigInflateable wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:52 am
Good take that paints a good picture of the reality of this situation. For the record, I certainly wouldn't go as far as calling Keap. a thug, which was stated earlier. He has IMO been out of football for too long to come in and be any real benefit to the team.
For the record, I am not calling him a thug. I just don't think signing NFL QB who hasn't played in years has anything to do with ending police brutality.
The thug comment in my post wasn't directed at anything from your post. It was a previous post were someone had referenced him as being such.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Night Train wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:32 am Is he nuts? Souhan thinks the Vikings should sign Kaepernick as a show of goodwill. Did the Vikings put their knee on Floyd's neck and I missed it?
A strong statement is needed, and the Vikings signing Colin Kaepernick would do it
Signing Colin Kaepernick would signal the Vikings care about social justice, and that the NFL acknowledges its wrongful blackballing of a talented quarterback. It would also make football sense.

The silent protest of injustice of Colin Kaepernick (middle, kneeling during a 49ers game in 2016 between Eli Harold and Eric Reid) made too many waves for the NFL. The quarterback is out of the league, but the injustice he decried continues.

This weekend, five days after a cop knelt on George Floyd’s neck in bright daylight on a Minneapolis street, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell issued a statement.

Either he took five days to toss a meaningless word salad, or he belatedly realized that he was among the last sports leaders to have failed to acknowledge the killing, and on Saturday quickly tossed a meaningless word salad.

I could reprint Goodell’s statement here, but it might be easier for you to just Google “Generic press release template.”

Ignore Goodell. He facilitated the blackballing of Colin Kaepernick, who was peacefully protesting killings just like that of George Floyd, and he has failed to persuade NFL owners to hire a reasonable number of black coaches and general managers in a sport filled with high-achieving black men. He possesses the same credibility as a new Twitter user with zero followers and a Russian handle.

Instead, today, read the piece written by Joe Lockhart for CNN.com. Lockhart worked as an NFL executive. He also worked in the White House.

Lockhart’s essay exposes all that Goodell and NFL owners have tried to obscure — that Kaepernick remained unsigned because NFL teams didn’t want to anger portions of their fan base or bring unwanted media attention to their locker rooms.

Lockhart writes that he thought the NFL did good work in trying to encourage discussions about race and protest, and that Goodell at least had good intentions. “Though Kaepernick didn’t get his job back, I thought we had done a righteous job, considering.”

If that was the culmination of Lockhart’s piece, he would have exposed himself as exactly the kind of self-congratulatory and cloistered NFL figure who has kept the league’s worldview rooted firmly in the 1950s.

But he had more to say.

“I was wrong,” he wrote. “I think the teams were wrong for not signing him. Watching what’s going on in Minnesota, I understand how badly wrong we were.”

Lockhart concludes the Vikings could do the world and the league a lot of good by signing Kaepernick.

He’s right. Signing Kaepernick would signal that the Vikings care about social justice, and that the NFL acknowledges its wrongful blackballing of a talented player.

Signing Kaepernick would also make football sense.

He is 32, healthy and remains in remarkable shape. The Vikings’ current backup is Sean Mannion, the kind of extra quarterback that nobody wants to see take the field.

Kaepernick would give the Vikings a chance to win if Kirk Cousins gets injured, and he’s young enough that he might become the franchise’s quarterback of the future.

The best aspect of signing Kaepernick would be that he could become a familiar presence in Minnesota and in national media.

Plenty of Minnesota sports figures have taken the same stance as Kaeper-nick. Lynx players wore shirts emblazoned with “Black Lives Matter” after the killing of Philando Castile and Alton Sterling.

Gophers women’s basketball coach Lindsay Whalen is a vocal supporter of social justice and stood with her black Lynx teammates at that time. Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve champions equality for all.

Former Twins star Torii Hunter spoke last week about being profiled, and former NBA player Stephen Jackson spoke eloquently in Minneapolis on Friday about racism and police killing unarmed black men.

Timberwolves players have tried to raise awareness about racism and have openly mourned Floyd’s killing. Wolves GM Gersson Rosas and coach Ryan Saunders have spoken in support of their black players.

None of these Minnesota sports figures have been treated locally the way Kaepernick was treated nationally, because we know them, and we listen to them. We know they are good people. Even racists have trouble getting mad at Maya Moore or Karl-Anthony Towns.

They have not been reduced to symbols and talking points. In Minnesota, Kaepernick could become a powerful and familiar force for good. He might win a few football games, too.
Saw this. *Barf*
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

why not Gus wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:55 pm

Pound sand, SkolMN!
:lol:

This country is on the brink of another civil war, yet no one divided us more than Obama..

Seek help immediately.
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:52 pm

Why is kaepernick a thug? I disagree with him. But even if you think his wrong or self centered, why do you think that makes him a thug? You used the term so I am questioning it.
He used the term as a stand in for the N-word. There is no wordsmithing around that.
He sees his afro, his urban attire, his passion for black America's struggles and uses the newest substitute for N*****.
Lampin'
Kyle Guy

Post by Kyle Guy »

What about Kyle?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

SKOLMN wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:26 pm
why not Gus wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:55 pm

Pound sand, SkolMN!
:lol:

This country is on the brink of another civil war, yet no one divided us more than Obama..

Seek help immediately.
Haha.

Wow! We have quite the group here. Racists, pedos and their apologists.

What a place. What. A. Place.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

Seriously TK Tommy Kramer probably has more football in him than Kap. In just the topic of football only Kap more than likely is not good enough to make any NFL team besides that his motivation is not playing football its something else
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

EnLiteEndOne wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:14 pm

He used the term as a stand in for the N-word. There is no wordsmithing around that.
He sees his afro, his urban attire, his passion for black America's struggles and uses the newest substitute for N*****.
No, you're the one applying the n-word to 'thugs'.

I love how liberals just love to interpret what common every day words mean and turn them into their little dog-whistle racism bullshit.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Night Train wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:05 am

I love how liberals just love to interpret what common every day words mean and turn them into their little dog-whistle racism bullshit.
The word thug has become an alternative for the n-word. Just as once upon a time gay became more than just an expression of happiness, these things happen.

Are you defending his use of the word THUG to describe CK or do you just take issue with the fact that it has evolved into a denigrating race-specific term over the past 10-15 years?
Lampin'
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

EnLiteEndOne wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:16 am

The word thug has become an alternative for the n-word. Just as once upon a time gay became more than just an expression of happiness, these things happen.

Are you defending his use of the word THUG to describe CK or do you just take issue with the fact that it has evolved into a denigrating race-specific term over the past 10-15 years?
Says who? You? I still use it to describe thugs, doesn't matter what color they are, it's an all-encompassing term. You're the ones only applying it to one race and saying it means something else.

Let him use thug, who gives a shit? CK doesn't need you to run and defend him over any slur you might wrongly interpret.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Night Train wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:20 am

Says who? You? I still use it to describe thugs, doesn't matter what color they are, it's an all-encompassing term. You're the ones only applying it to one race and saying it means something else.

Let him use thug, who gives a shit? CK doesn't need you to run and defend him over any slur you might wrongly interpret.
Do you still say 'colored people' perhaps 'negros'?
Lampin'
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

EnLiteEndOne wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:27 am

I use what everyone uses, black people, blacks, African Americans... I guess the latest buzzwords are 'people of color' or shortened to POC. Just because you think thugs is the n-word doesn't mean everyone thinks or even considers that when using it.

EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Night Train wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:32 am

I use what everyone uses, black people, blacks, African Americans... I guess the latest buzzwords are 'people of color' or shortened to POC. Just because you think thugs is the n-word doesn't mean everyone thinks or even considers that when using it.
Dude, I understand the word in the context you are implying. Frankly it is an apt word in those situations. Unfortunately, that is not the context Mlhouse used it in. 'Thug' used in that context has seen a drastic increase over the past years. That was the point I was making.
Are you defending the context Mlhouse used or not?
Lampin'
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

EnLiteEndOne wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:43 am
Night Train wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:32 am

Dude, I understand the word in the context you are implying. Frankly it is an apt word in those situations. Unfortunately, that is not the context Mlhouse used it in. 'Thug' used in that context has seen a drastic increase over the past years. That was the point I was making.
Are you defending the context Mlhouse used or not?
I very seriously doubt Mlhouse was typing along and got to 'Kaepernick is a nig... Ope, can't use that, better break out my racial term thesaurus and see what we have here... okay, Thugs, that's it, Kaep is a thug.'

That's you applying a derogatory term to it, that's your interpretation, it doesn't make it true.