Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

If You Could Add Any Single Player from the 2009 Vikings in Their Prime to the 2020 Vikings, Who Would it Be?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Ash Ketchum

If You Could Add Any Single Player from the 2009 Vikings in Their Prime to the 2020 Vikings, Who Would it Be?

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Kevin Williams for me.

Who you got? And why?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: If You Could Add Any Single Player from the 2009 Vikings in Their Prime to the 2020 Vikings, Who Would it Be?

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:14 pm Kevin Williams for me.

Who you got? And why?
Adrian Peterson. He's perfect for Mike Zimmer. AP could rip runs off behind poor olines and only had one year where he played with a good QB.

A very close 2nd is Jared Allen. Having him on one side and Hunter on the other would be dirty.

There isn't anyone else I would even consider over these two.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Re: If You Could Add Any Single Player from the 2009 Vikings in Their Prime to the 2020 Vikings, Who Would it Be?

Post by Beef Supreme »

Kevin Williams is a good one. Sid Rice would be another. Don't have a WR like him right now.

Maybe Steve Hutchinson?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:19 pm Kevin Williams is a good one. Sid Rice would be another. Don't have a WR like him right now.

Maybe Steve Hutchinson?
Hutch would be nice.

Sid Rice wasn't good. He had one fluke year in his career.

I remember the old board calling him Fitz 2.0 and we had to resign him. I begged that they didn't.

They dodged a bullet as he went to Seattle and never did anything again.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:22 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:19 pm Kevin Williams is a good one. Sid Rice would be another. Don't have a WR like him right now.

Maybe Steve Hutchinson?
Hutch would be nice.

Yeah, 2009. That's what the thread is about.

- Isaac Asimov
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I take it back.

If some magical entity granted me the ability to grab any player from the 09 Vikes and put him — in his 2009 form — on the 2020 Vikes, Id take Favre.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:28 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:22 pm

Maybe Steve Hutchinson?
Hutch would be nice.

Yeah, 2009. That's what the thread is about.
Well I thought he was just saying off that team and not the same exact year stat wise.

If we are going purely on those stats, I'll take Jared Allens 14.5 sacks, GENTLEMEN.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:34 pm I take it back.

If some magical entity granted me the ability to grab any player from the 09 Vikes and put him — in his 2009 form — on the 2020 Vikes, Id take Favre.
Well ya. I didn't know if we were saying same exact year wise.

Favre was good enough that year to galvanize 75% of the teams in the league.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

How much better was Favre that year than KDC though? Kirk had a better year last year statistically than Brett Lorenzo Favre in 09.

Jared Allen is a huge upgrade at the opposite end to Hunter.

I'm stick with Jared Scot Allen.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Bros Before Shiancoes

Post by Bros Before Shiancoes »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:37 pm

How much better was Favre that year than KDC though? Kirk had a better year last year statistically than Brett Lorenzo Favre in 09.

Ah but you’re forgetting that, with the old coot Zim, Favre would have been the only guy to say fuck it, we’re not running the ball all game long.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Bros Before Shiancoes wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:42 pm

Ah but you’re forgetting that, with the old coot Zim, Favre would have been the only guy to say fuck it, we’re not running the ball all game long.
There is that.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

Jared Allen is the player who could give the biggest upgrade I think. Although the Two Williams could make a strong argument.
In Kwesi we trust.
Bleeds Purple

Post by Bleeds Purple »

I'd be willing to bet that the "Old Coot" would let Farve sling the ball as much as he wanted to and to the level of '09. Favre had almost 20 years of stats to back him up.

My guess is more along the lines of Old Coot still does not have complete trust in Mr. Mediocre.
Bros Before Shiancoes

Post by Bros Before Shiancoes »

Bleeds Purple wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:42 am

I'd be willing to bet that the "Old Coot" would let Farve sling the ball as much as he wanted to and to the level of '09. Favre had almost 20 years of stats to back him up.

My guess is more along the lines of Old Coot still does not have complete trust in Mr. Mediocre.
And you’d lose that bet. We have years of the 2 QB’s slinging the ball, and we have years of Zim doing everything he can to avoid slinging the ball. You have, well, your “hunch”.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Ah yeah, I was laughing at the first several replies as there is only one correct answer which of course is this one. Although Kwill would change this D.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Shouldn't this thread be in the fantasy football forum? :thinking:
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:44 am

Ah yeah, I was laughing at the first several replies as there is only one correct answer which of course is this one. Although Kwill would change this D.
Not even a shoutout from you for Hutch?

Kinda surprised.

- Isaac Asimov
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Favre, Favre, and then Favre.

(Hutch might be next)
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Obviously Favre would have the most impact if we had him in his prime. JAllen was the best DE in his prime we have had since Doleman. He could take over games. Kwilliams in his prime was a top 3 Viking DT. Hitch was a beast, but a guard..Peterson in his Prime was the best RB.

From there, they were just all decent to good players. You take the QB first, then probably the DE if you want to impact the game. Peterson also took a lot of heat of Favre in 2009, and likely the one player in his prime that affected the defenses playing against us the most - the problem is outside of 2009 - the QBs playing in the backfield with him were bottom 1/3 tier QBs, and the defense sucked until 2015- so we never got to see how far we could go -Teddy was a mid tier QB, and we almost went to the NFCC game then. The Leslie years sucked.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

BuDG123 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:30 am Obviously Favre would have the most impact if we had him in his prime. JAllen was the best DE in his prime we have had since Doleman. He could take over games. Kwilliams in his prime was a top 3 Viking DT. Hitch was a beast, but a guard..Peterson in his Prime was the best RB.

From there, they were just all decent to good players. You take the QB first, then probably the DE if you want to impact the game. Peterson also took a lot of heat of Favre in 2009, and likely the one player in his prime that affected the defenses playing against us the most - the problem is outside of 2009 - the QBs playing in the backfield with him were bottom 1/3 tier QBs, and the defense sucked until 2015- so we never got to see how far we could go -Teddy was a mid tier QB, and we almost went to the NFCC game then. The Leslie years sucked.
Teddy almost to the NFCCG huh? They didn't get out of rd #1.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

What will be the team's greatest weakness this year and beyond? You think Jared Allen is going to fix that?
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:54 am

Kinda surprised.
:mrgreen:

I thought about it, but my brain instantly went to qb and while Cousins was pretty good and I strongly believe he would be pretty damn good if we had a quality OL, I doubt he performs like Favre in 09 did.

My other issue was, I honestly couldnt remember how good Hutch was in 09, was he beginning to slide? I cant remember. I just know that team (especially in 2010) weakness was, OL. Favre was fn killed in 2010, and had issues in 09. But, HOF he is, dealt with it in 09 very well.

But yea, I would sacrifice your pinky to have Hutch on this squad! :lol:
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:10 am

Kinda surprised.

I thought about it, but my brain instantly went to qb and while Cousins was pretty good and I strongly believe he would be pretty damn good if we had a quality OL, I doubt he performs like Favre in 09 did.

My other issue was, I honestly couldnt remember how good Hutch was in 09, was he beginning to slide? I cant remember. I just know that team (especially in 2010) weakness was, OL. Favre was fn killed in 2010, and had issues in 09. But, HOF he is, dealt with it in 09 very well.

Hutch crushed it in ‘09. Pro-bowl and first team All-Pro.

For the record, it was his last of 7 pro-bowls and his last of 5 All-pro teams.

The slide started in ‘10, but I still thought the was pretty good. He was pretty bad in ‘11, his last year here.

- Isaac Asimov
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

With our young secondary Mr. Winfield would be nice but give me Hutch, McKinnie (you said prime) or Allen
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
RM22

Post by RM22 »

"Tarvaris Jackson is the Vikings best shot at a Championship"
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:23 pm

Kinda surprised.

The slide started in ‘10, but I still thought the was pretty good. He was pretty bad in ‘11, his last year here.
Doesn’t fit the ZBS, they would have no interest.

Lol, jk.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:56 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:23 pm

Doesn’t fit the ZBS, they would have no interest.

Lol, jk.
Know you’re kidding, but Hutch was a very good athlete, especially for a guy with his size/strength.

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

It isn't even close: Brett Favre in his prime. When Mike ZImmer sent in another run play into the 9 man line, Brett would just call whatever play he wanted like he did with Brad Childress.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Bonus question:

If you could add any 2009 player or 1998 Randy Moss or the starting QB at Wayzata HS, which would you choose?