Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2020 Minnesota Vikings on Paper

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Ash Ketchum

2020 Minnesota Vikings on Paper

Post by Ash Ketchum »

QB Kirk Cousins / Sean Mannion / Nate Stanley
RB Dalvin Cook / Alex Mattison / Ameer Abdullah / Mike Boone
FB CJ Ham
WR Adam Thielen
WR Justin Jefferson
WR3 Bisi Johnson / Tajae Sharpe / KJ Osborn / Chad Beebe / Dillon Mitchell
TE Kyle Rudolph
TE2 Irv Smith Jr. / Tyler Conklin

LT Riley Reiff / Ezra Cleveland
LG Pat Elflein / Avionte Collins / Olisaemeka Udoh
C Garrett Bradbury / Brett Jones
RG Dru Samia / Dakota Dozier
RT Brian O'Neill / Rashod Hill

DE Danielle Hunter / DJ Wonnum
DT Shemar Stephen / Jalyn Holmes / James Lynch
NT Michael Pierce / Jaleel Johnson
DE Ifeadi Odenigbo / Anthony Zettel / Eddie Yarborough

MLB Erik Kendricks / Cam Smith
SLB Anthony Barr
WLB Ben Gedeon / Eric Wilson / Troy Dye

CB Mike Hughes / Jeff Gladney / Holton Hill / Cam Dantzler / Kris Boyd / Harrison Hand
S Harrison Smith / Josh Metellus
FS Anthony Harris / Brian Cole

K Dan Bailey
P Britton Colquitt
LS Austin Cutting
RM22

Re: 2020 Minnesota Vikings on Paper

Post by RM22 »

Bisi Johnson sucks. No way he starts over Sharpe.

Starting Elflein really shows Spielman's incompitance.

I do agree on on most of the rest. It just doesn't scream top 10 roster in the NFL.
Last edited by RM22 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

LOS is just plain disappointing. Again.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

on paper it feels like it's going to be a rebuilding year. i'd guess that spielman and zimmer have already gone to the wilfs and told them that-so with this weird off-season and however the regular season plays out i suspect their jobs are secure thru the 2021-22 season.

the cornerback positions are a big question mark. an interior pass rush is another thing you're going to have to take on faith. the cook situation hasn't been clarified yet. the offensive line needs to be taken on faith also.

the kicker/punter/long snapper positions should be stable.

all that on paper. you still have to play the games.

i think kfan is bringing back the whole crew for the radio presentation-so there is that.

SKOL!
Last edited by weimy froob on Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

RM22 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:20 pm Bisi Johnson sucks. No way he starts over Sharpe.

I do agree on on most of the rest. It just doesn't scream top 10 roster in the NFL.
I'm not proclaiming anyone is starting over anyone right now, just how I wrote it out.
RM22

Post by RM22 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:33 pm
RM22 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:20 pm Bisi Johnson sucks. No way he starts over Sharpe.

I'm not proclaiming anyone is starting over anyone right now, just how I wrote it out.
Gotcha. I just do not get this fascination with Bisi Johnson. He had a couple easy red zone touchdowns and all of a sudden he is some great wr. He dropped some really key 3rd downs last year. He couldn't get open. He just isn't that good compared to Sharpe.

Thanks for posting the roster.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:15 pm QB Kirk Cousins / Sean Mannion / Nate Stanley
FB CJ Ham
WR Adam Thielen
WR Justin Jefferson
TE Kyle Rudolph

SLB Anthony Barr

CB Mike Hughes / Jeff Gladney / Holton Hill / Cam Dantzler / Kris Boyd / Harrison Hand

K Dan Bailey
P Britton Colquitt
LS Austin Cutting
Our defensive line makes me want to puke. I'll feel a bit differently about it if they can get Griff back and rotate him around. I think Hill will be CB2 and Gladney will play nickel. Rebuilding year for sure, but I'm good with that. They need to reload the next couple years. Who knows? Maybe they'll get lucky this year.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

RM22 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:37 pm

Gotcha. I just do not get this fascination with Bisi Johnson. He had a couple easy red zone touchdowns and all of a sudden he is some great wr. He dropped some really key 3rd downs last year. He couldn't get open. He just isn't that good compared to Sharpe.

Sharpe sucks too
RM22

Post by RM22 »

Might want to go back and watch him last year. He had a decent season. And he has had some injury issues.

But at least you agree Bisi Johnson sucks. :D
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

When your 2020 team looks almost identical to your 2019, that’s a bad sign unless you had a great 2019.

They didn’t and yet, they seem committed to bringing back the gang and guessing that they will all improve.

Who will improve? I don’t know. The great players were already great and the older great players are older. They do have a couple of young guys in the secondary who have not started before and we can only hope they are better but weren’t good enough to beat out the bad corners from last year.

Most importantly, the lines were a weakness and they might not be any better.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:31 pm on paper it feels like it's going to be a rebuilding year. i'd guess that spielman and zimmer have already gone to the wilfs and told them that-so with this weird off-season and however the regular season plays out i suspect their jobs are secure thru the 2021-22 season.

the cornerback positions are a big question mark. an interior pass rush is another thing you're going to have to take on faith. the cook situation hasn't been clarified yet. the offensive line needs to be taken on faith also.

i think kfan is bringing back the whole crew for the radio presentation-so there is that.

SKOL!
Your corona virus terror is rich.

The season will be pretty normal imo and no one is getting a pass.

Aren't Zimmer and Spielman on the last year of their deals? Doesn't sound like they have convinced the Wilfs of anything.

Ecuses already being made. What are teams like Tampa doing? Didn't they hear that this season doesn't matter? :lol:

8-8 team and Zimmer is for sure fired. I think Spielman should be but that's 50/50. He seems to have nine lives.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Florida Guy

Post by Florida Guy »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:15 pm QB Kirk Cousins / Sean Mannion / Nate Stanley
FB CJ Ham
WR Adam Thielen
WR Justin Jefferson
TE Kyle Rudolph

SLB Anthony Barr

K Dan Bailey
P Britton Colquitt
LS Austin Cutting
I agree with almost all of it. A couple of things.

- This roster on paper is worse than last year. Seems like a “mini-rebuild” to me.
- I don’t see A. Watts on there at all. I thought I read that Zim really likes him. Not sure it’s “he’s a starter” like him or “he’ll make the roster” like him.
- I read that Gary Kubiak thinks Udoh has a lot of similarities to Kelechi Osemele when he was OC in Baltimore. Like above, I don’t think Kubiak is saying he’s a sure fire starter, but probably at least LG backup.
- How do I say this nicely... I kind of think Hughes is no good. Not sure why he is penciled I’m in front of Hill right now (other than Hill is a dumb move away from not playing all year).
- IMO Reiff needs to get cut if he isn’t moved inside. That would save us a lot of money this year (which if not used rolls over to next year), but saves us a TON of money next year. And he’s just ok. I get he’s probably the best LT on the roster but I’d rather have the money in 2021.
witljon

Post by witljon »

I hope our safetys remain healthy.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Ironically, Bisi ended up tied with Thielen for second in team receptions with 59 I think. He looked competent, likely not exceptional.
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

Sad and disappointing roster
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:04 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:31 pm on paper it feels like it's going to be a rebuilding year. i'd guess that spielman and zimmer have already gone to the wilfs and told them that-so with this weird off-season and however the regular season plays out i suspect their jobs are secure thru the 2021-22 season.

SKOL!
Your corona virus terror is rich.

The season will be pretty normal imo and no one is getting a pass.

Aren't Zimmer and Spielman on the last year of their deals? Doesn't sound like they have convinced the Wilfs of anything.

Ecuses already being made. What are teams like Tampa doing? Didn't they hear that this season doesn't matter? :lol:

8-8 team and Zimmer is for sure fired. I think Spielman should be but that's 50/50. He seems to have nine lives.
If Zimmer goes...as he should, Spielman 100% has to go with him. Under no circumstance should Spielman be allowed to can Zimmer and then pick another coach and draft a QB for that coach. This can’t happen.

The Wilf’s and this fanbase needs to get their heads out of their asses where this is concerned. Move on, it’s been time to move on for quite some time.

SKOL VIKES!! :thumbsup:
Simpson Get Lifted

Post by Simpson Get Lifted »

Who said that?
RM22

Post by RM22 »

More of the same. Clown starting shit.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

you guys are too hard on bisi. most 247th picks don't even make the practice squad - let alone catch 31 passes in their rookie year. beebe's the one whose time should be over. 6 receptions in 2 years. compared to that, bisi is a success story that deserves more time and opportunity. is he our "third" receiver? i don't know. but he's certainly not the disappointment some are making him out to be.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Small Hands wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:46 pm

Our defensive line makes me want to puke. I'll feel a bit differently about it if they can get Griff back and rotate him around. I think Hill will be CB2 and Gladney will play nickel. Rebuilding year for sure, but I'm good with that. They need to reload the next couple years. Who knows? Maybe they'll get lucky this year.
Makes you want to puke?

The defense replaced Joseph with Pierce, and I think that is a big upgrade.

They lost Everson Griffin but I think he will be back on a minimum contract.

They lost Weatherly, but Odenigbo really improvedd last season to the point he was equal to Weatherly.

I think it is entirely possible, in fact almost certain, that James Lynch is the starting 3-technique and a huge improvement over Shamar Stephens.

I also think that they struggled the first half of the year to find a front 4 pass rush solution. They tried Hercules, etc but they finally found a good formula by putting 4 defensive ends on the line in passing down/distance. They know this so if they bring back Griffin, the package of Griffin-Lynch-Odenigbo-Hunter will be effective from game one.

Some "ifs", but it isn't to the puke stage yet.

And, it is doubtful Hill is the starter. Betting people will put odds that he is suspended ahead of that. And, I think it is entirely possible that by the end of the preseason Gladney and Dantzler are the starters, with Hughes the slot CB, and Hill and Boyd the 4-5 CB, and Harrison Hand starting out as the 6th CB. According to most "analytics", Rhodes and Waynes were the amongst the worst CBs in the league last year so just about anyone can improve on them, right?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:08 pm

Makes you want to puke?

They lost Weatherly, but Odenigbo really improvedd last season to the point he was equal to Weatherly.

I think it is entirely possible, in fact almost certain, that James Lynch is the starting 3-technique and a huge improvement over Shamar Stephens.

I also think that they struggled the first half of the year to find a front 4 pass rush solution. They tried Hercules, etc but they finally found a good formula by putting 4 defensive ends on the line in passing down/distance. They know this so if they bring back Griffin, the package of Griffin-Lynch-Odenigbo-Hunter will be effective from game one.

And, it is doubtful Hill is the starter. Betting people will put odds that he is suspended ahead of that. And, I think it is entirely possible that by the end of the preseason Gladney and Dantzler are the starters, with Hughes the slot CB, and Hill and Boyd the 4-5 CB, and Harrison Hand starting out as the 6th CB. According to most "analytics", Rhodes and Waynes were the amongst the worst CBs in the league last year so just about anyone can improve on them, right?
I agree on DL. It won't be much better and it won't be much worse.

I don't agree that Lynch will be the starter. I think it will be a rotation of fresh mediocre guys.

Where I do think we are likely no better is at CB and OL.

Worse overall at WR too. This team also stayed pretty healthy last year. I just don't see it. It's a less talented team than 2018 and 2019 and they couldn't put it together. On top of that guys like Smith, Thielen, Reiff, Rudolph, Griff (If back) are just another year older.

8-8 or 9-7 imo.

The good news is the division will be tough but mediocre .

10-6 will win it and all 4 teams will finish 7-9 or better imo.

I think GB and Chicago are both better than the Vikings right now. Couldn't beat either of them when it mattered last year.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Simpson Get Lifted

Post by Simpson Get Lifted »

RM22 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:30 pm More of the same. Clown starting shit.
I asked a question, why is that starting shit to you? Who said Bisi Johnson is a great WR?
RM22

Post by RM22 »

Simpson Get Lifted, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Makes you want to puke?

i thought you said that the film work showed that rhodes wasn't a disaster? the CB situation is about as uncertain as it can get-i think they take a pretty big step back on D.

and even though i think the coach and GM should have very warm seats going into the season i just don't see it with ownership. they'll be back unless it's a total collapse. 7-9 and they'll be back imo. yes the coronavirus situation will play a part in that decision from the wilfs. everybody gets a pass from ownership.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Looking at the team on paper, it’s difficult to guess how this will turn out.

They’ve got some really good pieces, but it’s impossible to know much about how the rookies will help, or hurt.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:28 pm

Makes you want to puke?

i thought you said that the film work showed that rhodes wasn't a disaster? the CB situation is about as uncertain as it can get-i think they take a pretty big step back on D.

and even though i think the coach and GM should have very warm seats going into the season i just don't see it with ownership. they'll be back unless it's a total collapse. 7-9 and they'll be back imo. yes the coronavirus situation will play a part in that decision from the wilfs. everybody gets a pass from ownership.
Lol. If they go 7-9, they won't be back.

You won't even hardly hear about corona virus by this time unless you go looking for it.

Until November that is. If Tump is looking like he has any chance at re-election, it will "Come back" right before we vote.

I HATE Trump but this is media driven hysteria.

So why worry about the season then? You have already made your excuses and there will be no repercussions. See you in 2021.

Be quite the scene when Tampa, Niners etc are 12-2 trying to seal up a bye week and Wiemy is here to tell us "Corona virus guys"
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:32 pm

Makes you want to puke?

You won't even hardly hear about corona virus by this time unless you go looking for it.

Until November that is. If Tump is looking like he has any chance at re-election, it will "Come back" right before we vote.

so you think that there's going to be fans in the stands and the season gets off the ground on week one? unless there's real dissension and unrest from the fan base i think the wilfs will stand pat. there's no media pressure on these guys going into the season-that's for sure.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:37 pm

so you think that there's going to be fans in the stands and the season gets off the ground on week one? unless there's real dissension and unrest from the fan base i think the wilfs will stand pat. there's no media pressure on these guys going into the season-that's for sure.
Yes, I think there will be fans in the stands. Will they let full capacity? I'm not so sure. There will be fans though. The NFL is planning on it.

Secondly, what do the fans matter? We been shittin our pants when the fans are there. It just shows me this team can't win with or without pressure.

The corona virus didn't cause this team to rarely beat a winning football team for the last two years.

I would agree with you if these were rather new HC and GM. The GM has been here a decade and the HC going on year 7 and they haven't even had back to back playoff seasons, paying a QB millions upon millions of dollars and only have him inked the next three years and they don't care because "Corona virus" it's laughable and a loser mentality.

How come the teams that end up being good this year didn't need that excuse?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:43 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:37 pm

Yes, I think there will be fans in the stands. Will they let full capacity? I'm not so sure. There will be fans though. The NFL is planning on it.

Secondly, what do the fans matter? We been shittin our pants when the fans are there. It just shows me this team can't win with or without pressure.

The corona virus didn't cause this team to rarely beat a winning football team for the last two years.

I would agree with you if these were rather new HC and GM. The GM has been here a decade and the HC going on year 7 and they haven't even had back to back playoff seasons, paying a QB millions upon millions of dollars and only have him inked the next three years and they don't care because "Corona virus" it's laughable and a loser mentality.

How come the teams that end up being good this year didn't need that excuse?
i didn't say that i would do that i said i think the wilfs will do that. i think it's baked into the cake right now with them. fans in the stands is an important component of the nfl experience. it's not even a real season if the fans aren't there. you have a season like that and whatever the results unless it's a total collapse the wilfs will be content to hit the reset button. i think even seven wins would bring them back under that scenario.

i think it's a more realistic expectation than yours last year with your hoist talk.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Makes you want to puke?

I am quoting other people's opinion. Notice the quotes and the rhetorical right.

I think that people making these 7-9 or worse predictions are overly pessimisstic. 6-10 and 7-9 certainly are in the realm of possibilities, but I think it is more likely that this is a 9-7, 10-6 team. But the distribution of estimates should be all over the board.