Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2020 Minnesota Vikings on Paper

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Simpson Get Lifted

Re: 2020 Minnesota Vikings on Paper

Post by Simpson Get Lifted »

RM22 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:26 pm Simpson Get Lifted, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.
Oh no, don't attack me by asking questions pertaining to my post.
RM22 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:45 pmFucking pussy.
Last edited by Simpson Get Lifted on Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:49 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:43 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:37 pm

so you think that there's going to be fans in the stands and the season gets off the ground on week one? unless there's real dissension and unrest from the fan base i think the wilfs will stand pat. there's no media pressure on these guys going into the season-that's for sure.
Yes, I think there will be fans in the stands. Will they let full capacity? I'm not so sure. There will be fans though. The NFL is planning on it.

Secondly, what do the fans matter? We been shittin our pants when the fans are there. It just shows me this team can't win with or without pressure.

The corona virus didn't cause this team to rarely beat a winning football team for the last two years.

I would agree with you if these were rather new HC and GM. The GM has been here a decade and the HC going on year 7 and they haven't even had back to back playoff seasons, paying a QB millions upon millions of dollars and only have him inked the next three years and they don't care because "Corona virus" it's laughable and a loser mentality.

How come the teams that end up being good this year didn't need that excuse?
i didn't say that i would do that i said-i think the wilfs will do that. i think it's baked into the cake right now with them. fans in the stands is an important component of the nfl experience. it's not even a real season if the fans aren't there. you have a season like that and whatever the results unless it's a total collapse the wilfs will be content to hit the reset button. i think even seven wins would bring them back under that scenario.

Well they can keep expecting mediocrity then.
Last edited by RubeTube on Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

Why do we assume Jefferson is going to be a starting WR?
- With no OTAs and possibly a limited training camp, he may not have any idea on the route trees and no work with Cousins on timing, etc.
- Look at Patterson / Treadwell year 1s
- WR3 is ugly, Bisi wasn't very good and Sharpe hasn't shown anything as a WR3, I'd still say a FA pickup is in the cards

RB - I think we're set at, we know Cook will be missing some games and have a solid backup

OL - I don't see much improvement on the OL from last year to this year which was and still is a massive issue on this team

DL - We lost the dual threat at DE so now teams can focus on Hunter alone, Odenigbo may surprise but the position looks weaker

CB - Same story as Jefferson, with no camp and OTAs why do we think he's going to walk right in and nab a CB2 position? Alexander didn't, Hughes didn't, Traw Waynes didn't. Hughes needs to prove he can stay on the field before we can label him a CB1.

On another note, if Mike Zimmer was truly the DB whisperer as he's labeled then why the fuck do we need to draft DBs in the first round ever year, shouldn't he be able to mold a bunch of 3rd / 4th / 5th round picks into high end players?

If I took a WR ever year in round 1 / round 2, I suppose I could easily be known as some super WR coach instead of just being called a guy who needs top talent to get production from the position.
"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations." - Joe Biden, July 2021
Simpson Get Lifted

Post by Simpson Get Lifted »

Why Not Us wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:55 pm Why do we assume Jefferson is going to be a starting WR?
- With no OTAs and possibly a limited training camp, he may not have any idea on the route trees and no work with Cousins on timing, etc.
- WR3 is ugly, Bisi wasn't very good and Sharpe hasn't shown anything as a WR3, I'd still say a FA pickup is in the cards

RB - I think we're set at, we know Cook will be missing some games and have a solid backup

OL - I don't see much improvement on the OL from last year to this year which was and still is a massive issue on this team

DL - We lost the dual threat at DE so now teams can focus on Hunter alone, Odenigbo may surprise but the position looks weaker

CB - Same story as Jefferson, with no camp and OTAs why do we think he's going to walk right in and nab a CB2 position? Alexander didn't, Hughes didn't, Traw Waynes didn't. Hughes needs to prove he can stay on the field before we can label him a CB1.

On another note, if Mike Zimmer was truly the DB whisperer as he's labeled then why the fuck do we need to draft DBs in the first round ever year, shouldn't he be able to mold a bunch of 3rd / 4th / 5th round picks into high end players?

If I took a WR ever year in round 1 / round 2, I suppose I could easily be known as some super WR coach instead of just being called a guy who needs top talent to get production from the position.
Yeah, who was the guy telling us this isn't TMG?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Simpson Get Lifted wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:58 pm
Why Not Us wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:55 pm Why do we assume Jefferson is going to be a starting WR?

Yeah, who was the guy telling us this isn't TMG?
I don't think any of this is unrealistic.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:54 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:28 pm
mlhouse wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:08 pm

Makes you want to puke?

The defense replaced Joseph with Pierce, and I think that is a big upgrade.

They lost Everson Griffin but I think he will be back on a minimum contract.

They lost Weatherly, but Odenigbo really improvedd last season to the point he was equal to Weatherly.

I think it is entirely possible, in fact almost certain, that James Lynch is the starting 3-technique and a huge improvement over Shamar Stephens.

I also think that they struggled the first half of the year to find a front 4 pass rush solution. They tried Hercules, etc but they finally found a good formula by putting 4 defensive ends on the line in passing down/distance. They know this so if they bring back Griffin, the package of Griffin-Lynch-Odenigbo-Hunter will be effective from game one.

Some "ifs", but it isn't to the puke stage yet.

And, it is doubtful Hill is the starter. Betting people will put odds that he is suspended ahead of that. And, I think it is entirely possible that by the end of the preseason Gladney and Dantzler are the starters, with Hughes the slot CB, and Hill and Boyd the 4-5 CB, and Harrison Hand starting out as the 6th CB. According to most "analytics", Rhodes and Waynes were the amongst the worst CBs in the league last year so just about anyone can improve on them, right?
i thought you said that the film work showed that rhodes wasn't a disaster? the CB situation is about as uncertain as it can get-i think they take a pretty big step back on D.

and even though i think the coach and GM should have very warm seats going into the season i just don't see it with ownership. they'll be back unless it's a total collapse. 7-9 and they'll be back imo. yes the coronavirus situation will play a part in that decision from the wilfs. everybody gets a pass from ownership.
I am quoting other people's opinion. Notice the quotes and the rhetorical right.

I think that people making these 7-9 or worse predictions are overly pessimisstic. 6-10 and 7-9 certainly are in the realm of possibilities, but I think it is more likely that this is a 9-7, 10-6 team. But the distribution of estimates should be all over the board.
i saw that and figured that's what you meant-but you're also sidestepping the big question mark this team is going to have going into the season. you can make the case that they're going to be worse off at all three cornerback positions this year than they were last year-and i think you'd be right.
Last edited by weimy froob on Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:37 pm so you think that there's going to be fans in the stands and the season gets off the ground on week one? unless there's real dissension and unrest from the fan base i think the wilfs will stand pat. there's no media pressure on these guys going into the season-that's for sure.
That's an interesting question. I think it'll depend on the reopening of the states and seeing how it goes, I wouldn't be shocked if they put out an age limit restriction / advisory on games (not sure it would hold up in court though). The more data that comes in, the more we know about the people at risk and in what areas. If the antibody tests from NY are what they are, we're talking about 2+ million people in NY that have already had this with most not even knowing. I could see some states saying yes to fans and others saying no, I think the NBA is opening up practice facilities in the states that allow it now.

Let me share a video, if the doors are open, people will show.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations." - Joe Biden, July 2021
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Pessimistic?

This team went 8-7-1 and 10-6 with a better roster and I'm supposed to think they are 10-6 this year?

They don't have one CB who has proven anything as a starting caliber player. In fact, guys like Hughes have looked absolutely lost.

The line is still the same crap it was.

We have one WR who has proven to be NFL caliber.

Naw, this team simply isn't that good right now. There is a reason Vegas has them squarely in the middle of mediocre teams.

Might want to first try to beat the Packers or the Bears once when it matters.
Last edited by RubeTube on Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Why Not Us wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:06 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:37 pm so you think that there's going to be fans in the stands and the season gets off the ground on week one? unless there's real dissension and unrest from the fan base i think the wilfs will stand pat. there's no media pressure on these guys going into the season-that's for sure.
That's an interesting question. I think it'll depend on the reopening of the states and seeing how it goes, I wouldn't be shocked if they put out an age limit restriction / advisory on games (not sure it would hold up in court though). The more data that comes in, the more we know about the people at risk and in what areas. If the antibody tests from NY are what they are, we're talking about 2+ million people in NY that have already had this with most not even knowing. I could see some states saying yes to fans and others saying no, I think the NBA is opening up practice facilities in the states that allow it now.

you'll also have the spain/italy coronavirus situation that exploded because of one soccer game between teams from those two countries. spain now has the second highest total cases and italy was the first hot spot outside of china.
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:09 pm

you'll also have the spain/italy coronavirus situation that exploded because of one soccer game between teams from those two countries. spain now has the second highest total cases and italy was the first hot spot outside of china.
We don't need to discuss this on this forum but are we really going to pretend like a soccer game was the cause of this? There were tons of soccer games in other EU cities that did not result in this and I'm sure countless other concerts, etc.

That's like saying NYC's break out is the result of a single NY Knicks or Rangers or Islanders game
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Why Not Us wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:18 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:09 pm

We don't need to discuss this on this forum but are we really going to pretend like a soccer game was the cause of this? There were tons of soccer games in other EU cities that did not result in this and I'm sure countless other concerts, etc.

That's like saying NYC's break out is the result of a single NY Knicks or Rangers or Islanders game
you're right. this isn't the forum. but you like to ignore things that go against your narrative. maybe you should read up on the game. it was where the game was at that had the devastating consequences. it was just like a pork processing plant-a human petri dish.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:03 pm

i saw that and figured that's what you meant-but you're also sidestepping the big question mark this team is going to have going into the season. you can make the case that they're going to be worse off at all three cornerback positions this year than they were last year-and i think you'd be right.
Makes the defensive coaching more important. I think they can do it because I believe those rookie CBs will be pretty good, and I would not be surprised if Dantzler is the starter before Gladney.

It would be nice if Mike Hughes could have stayed healthy so he could develop and Holten Hill not do his usual so he could have made forward progress from his rookie season.

Again, with all of this, I think James Lynch is a huge wild card. If they can move him inside and get production the defense could even take a step forward.

Do you think they should sign Dre Kirkpatrick?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:46 pm

Makes the defensive coaching more important. I think they can do it because I believe those rookie CBs will be pretty good, and I would not be surprised if Dantzler is the starter before Gladney.

It would be nice if Mike Hughes could have stayed healthy so he could develop and Holten Hill not do his usual so he could have made forward progress from his rookie season.

Again, with all of this, I think James Lynch is a huge wild card. If they can move him inside and get production sthe defense could even take a step forward.

Yes and I think they will sign a vet.

There is no way Zimmer is going to be rolling out that many rookies.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

Other teams are going to test our secondary early and often.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:08 pm
Small Hands wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:46 pm

Our defensive line makes me want to puke. I'll feel a bit differently about it if they can get Griff back and rotate him around. I think Hill will be CB2 and Gladney will play nickel. Rebuilding year for sure, but I'm good with that. They need to reload the next couple years. Who knows? Maybe they'll get lucky this year.
Makes you want to puke?

The defense replaced Joseph with Pierce, and I think that is a big upgrade.

They lost Everson Griffin but I think he will be back on a minimum contract.

They lost Weatherly, but Odenigbo really improvedd last season to the point he was equal to Weatherly.

I think it is entirely possible, in fact almost certain, that James Lynch is the starting 3-technique and a huge improvement over Shamar Stephens.

I also think that they struggled the first half of the year to find a front 4 pass rush solution. They tried Hercules, etc but they finally found a good formula by putting 4 defensive ends on the line in passing down/distance. They know this so if they bring back Griffin, the package of Griffin-Lynch-Odenigbo-Hunter will be effective from game one.

Some "ifs", but it isn't to the puke stage yet.

And, it is doubtful Hill is the starter. Betting people will put odds that he is suspended ahead of that. And, I think it is entirely possible that by the end of the preseason Gladney and Dantzler are the starters, with Hughes the slot CB, and Hill and Boyd the 4-5 CB, and Harrison Hand starting out as the 6th CB. According to most "analytics", Rhodes and Waynes were the amongst the worst CBs in the league last year so just about anyone can improve on them, right?
Sure hope you're right. I think this defense takes a step back. I like Odenigbo, but he isn't ready to be an every down DE. Pierce is a great run stuffing DT, but provides zero pressure in passing downs. disagree with you on Lynch. He's a project. I like that he has the drive though. He never quits, and with proper training, he could become a solid player. It won't be this year though. The pass rush won't be what it was previously. I'm sure Zim will use some exotic blitzes like he used to a few years back, but without consistent pressure from the front four, this defense won't look the same.

I'm ok with them going through some growing pains. They have a ton of young pieces in key positions.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

Every team is under the same challenge of getting the new rookies practice time so not an issue at all since its an even playing field with every NFL team.

2020 is a transition year with many new starters on the roster. I don't expect a playoff birth this year. The Vikings are too weak on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Small Hands wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:40 am

Sure hope you're right. I think this defense takes a step back. I like Odenigbo, but he isn't ready to be an every down DE. Pierce is a great run stuffing DT, but provides zero pressure in passing downs. disagree with you on Lynch. He's a project. I like that he has the drive though. He never quits, and with proper training, he could become a solid player. It won't be this year though. The pass rush won't be what it was previously. I'm sure Zim will use some exotic blitzes like he used to a few years back, but without consistent pressure from the front four, this defense won't look the same.

1. I think you are underestimating Lynch, the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year who played completely out of position for his college team.

2. With respect to Zimmer and the blitz attack, I watch almost every game on the all-22 view and I was surprised how poorly designed the Vikings blitz schemes were. I would estimate off my casual observation 50% of the blitzes I was saying to myself how did they design that on paper and expect it to work? They seemed to have their blitzers tripping over each other a lot. I think that is why Capers is now working with the staff.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

vikesbumeout wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:05 am Other teams are going to test our secondary early and often.
They do that and they will be testing their trainer's ability to get their QB ready for next week. Hell, next month.

Anyone nervous about our young CB's needs to take a breath and look around. Best safety's in the league. New scheme coming with a shit lot more blitzing. Wicked coverage LB added to let Barr actually do what he's good at. A wicked young CB now a full season off the ACL. A new long, tough, CB in the Zim way who gave up 1 TD in the SEC! And that's not even the 1st rounder. We will be up on WR's with the CB's and up on the line with 6 rushers to start every play.

This is gonna be the best ever one class rookie contribution on a great D ever. Lynch and Willekes are gonna put up big sack numbers. Dantzler is young Dre Kirkpatrick. He'll be the 2nd starter sooner than later. Dye will have a huge role eventually and that guy makes plays. That doesn't even account for our 1st round CB, our pass rush project, or all the guys who will battle for that big dime S role.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Deep Purple wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:26 am Every team is under the same challenge of getting the new rookies practice time so not an issue at all since its an even playing field with every NFL team.

2020 is a transition year with many new starters on the roster. I don't expect a playoff birth this year. The Vikings are too weak on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.
Take a look at our rooks. How many of them are developmental guys and how many are "football players" who you could throw out there tomorrow? We have more guys ready to ball than every other team. In our division it's every team combined.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:07 pm
Deep Purple wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:26 am Every team is under the same challenge of getting the new rookies practice time so not an issue at all since its an even playing field with every NFL team.

Take a look at our rooks. How many of them are developmental guys and how many are "football players" who you could throw out there tomorrow? We have more guys ready to ball than every other team. In our division it's every team combined.
Agreed it was a very good draft but the problem the Vikings have with teams like the Bears and Packers is we get beat at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. The younger players from last year need to step up and hopefully they do or the Vikes might as well rebuild next year.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

Certainly not better than last year at Reciever, Cornerback or the Defensive Line, and can't honestly say they are stronger on the Offensive line in the short term either. Relying on alot of unproven youth on both sides to fill some big roles which isn't neccesarily a terrible thing, but this roster the way it sits today is a very fringe playoff team and peaks out as a fake contender just like we have been the last handful of years.
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:05 pm
vikesbumeout wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:05 am Other teams are going to test our secondary early and often.
They do that and they will be testing their trainer's ability to get their QB ready for next week. Hell, next month.

Anyone nervous about our young CB's needs to take a breath and look around. Best safety's in the league. New scheme coming with a shit lot more blitzing. Wicked coverage LB added to let Barr actually do what he's good at. A wicked young CB now a full season off the ACL. A new long, tough, CB in the Zim way who gave up 1 TD in the SEC! And that's not even the 1st rounder. We will be up on WR's with the CB's and up on the line with 6 rushers to start every play.

This is gonna be the best ever one class rookie contribution on a great D ever. Lynch and Willekes are gonna put up big sack numbers. Dantzler is young Dre Kirkpatrick. He'll be the 2nd starter sooner than later. Dye will have a huge role eventually and that guy makes plays. That doesn't even account for our 1st round CB, our pass rush project, or all the guys who will battle for that big dime S role.
That would be awesome. ......AND

Other teams are going to test our secondary early and often.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
witljon

Post by witljon »

RM22 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:20 pm Bisi Johnson sucks. No way he starts over Sharpe.

Starting Elflein really shows Spielman's incompitance.

I do agree on on most of the rest. It just doesn't scream top 10 roster in the NFL.
Bisi Johnson will probably be starting ahead of Justin Jefferson opening day.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:46 pm

Again, with all of this, I think James Lynch is a huge wild card. If they can move him inside and get production the defense could even take a step forward.

i don't know. but if they're even a little bit weak in the secondary it will show up a lot in the passing stats. one suspect CB will get exploited by quality NFL QBs big time.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

as we piece together an Oline - what's the word on aviante collins? an ESPN writer just predicted he gets cut - while i see back a few pages on one of these threads that some in rubeville project him as a starter.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

I would. They may be up to the task, but I would absolutely make the group prove it.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Bob Wiley wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:39 am
I would. They may be up to the task, but I would absolutely make the group prove it.
Don't worry, the pass rush will help the corners out. Wait a minute....
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:05 pm

I think there’s good reason for optimism that you will turn out correct eventually.

But there’s also good reason for skepticism that they’ll be able to get there as rookies, especially this year without OTAs and Kiki-camps, etc.

Maybe by the end of the year everything you say happens, but you’ve got to expect that there will at minimum be growing pains in September and October, right?
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:35 am as we piece together an Oline - what's the word on aviante collins? an ESPN writer just predicted he gets cut - while i see back a few pages on one of these threads that some in rubeville project him as a starter.
Personally, I’ve like why I’ve seen from him. Mostly at tackle, but he could be in the mix at guard as well.

But dude gets hurt a lot. Can’t help the club when you’re in the tub.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:35 am as we piece together an Oline - what's the word on aviante collins? an ESPN writer just predicted he gets cut - while i see back a few pages on one of these threads that some in rubeville project him as a starter.
You should never go into a season expecting someone that has been in the league for as long as he has without making any significant impact, to rise up out of nowhere and become a plus full time contributor.
Not to say it can't happen, but its's gravy and not something that you actually plan for. You bring in competition as always, and if Collins is the guy that rises to the top, then that's great. Most of the time that doesn't happen though.

I think the fact that he sat on our practice squad for most of last season speaks for itself.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis