Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Trent Williams or Josh Jones?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings

Trade for Trent Williams or move up for Josh Jones?

Williams
61%
Jones
39%

Total votes: 18

Ash Ketchum

Trent Williams or Josh Jones?

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Hypothetically:

Let's say Trent Williams costs a 3rd rounder.

Would you rather use that 3rd rounder to:

A) Trade for Trent Williams

B) Move up in Rd2 to take someone like Josh Jones.

Discuss.
Car Ramrod

Re: Trent Williams or Josh Jones?

Post by Car Ramrod »

It’s tough but I say Jones just because I feel that they should draw a hard line with the Redskins and offer no higher than a 4th.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

I'd go for Williams. I just want a plug and play elite tackle. We all know Cousins does best the more time he has to throw and I'd rather not wait on yet another young linemen to develop.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

In your pole, josh Jones costs two picks.

So it’s josh Jones for a second and third or Williams for a third and having the second for someone else.

Jones is cheaper but also a project. And he costs two picks in your scenario.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

How do mean he's a project? Like he's a unknown rookie? Cause the dude has 45 starts in college if I'm not mistaken.

I think it's a good question Ash, I had a hell of time find more than one game to watch on Josh Jones but I know PFF graded him out pretty good.

I'm really hoping they can swing the trade for Trent because I know he's a stud. It's risky but man if he can stay on the field what a tremendous addition to offense, for both pass pro and run blocking. I love his mean streak and fire.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

I voted for Williams.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Neither.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:16 pm How do mean he's a project? Like he's a unknown rookie? Cause the dude has 45 starts in college if I'm not mistaken.

I think it's a good question Ash, I had a hell of time find more than one game to watch on Josh Jones but I know PFF graded him out pretty good.

I'm really hoping they can swing the trade for Trent because I know he's a stud. It's risky but man if he can stay on the field what a tremendous addition to offense, for both pass pro and run blocking. I love his mean streak and fire.
His fundamentals are lacking. Yes, they can be fixed and coached and he has the build and athleticism to be great but he has gotten away with flawed fundamental due to competition.

He will Really look like a rookie In his first year. Especially without offseason. All rookie do but he needs to fix a little more than the average highly touted LT.

I also heard he is soft. But can’t verify.

It wouldn’t be a bad pick. Just not one helpful now.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Doesn't have to be Jones specifically.

If Ezra Cleveland is more your flavor, that's fine.

My questions is basically use the pick to address LT with the short term fix veteran (who will cost a pretty penny in terms of salary and guaranteed money) or try to address the LT spot with a more longterm, cheaper option.

I voted Jones because Brian O'Neill is already going to need to be extended, likely after this season. Wouldn't it be better for the longterm to go from Reiff to a rookie contract at LT given that we're going to have to pay O'Neill as one of the better offensive linemen in the league?
RM22

Post by RM22 »

It's about draft capital. Skins have the 2nd pick in rounds 2,3 and 4. But no 5th round pick. So what is the realistic trade value? A later 3rd or later 4th?

Spielman is moving up from 58. Bet on it. So he can't use the 3rd or 4th rounders. Only way is a 2021 pick.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Da Gas Man wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:58 pm In your pole, josh Jones costs two picks.

So it’s josh Jones for a second and third or Williams for a third and having the second for someone else.

Right. So in this scenario, it’s Williams + one of Winfield, McKinney, Blacklock, Gallimore, Gross-Matos, Epenesa, Davis, (for example) or Jones.

That’s easy.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:29 pm
Da Gas Man wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:58 pm In your pole, josh Jones costs two picks.

Right. So in this scenario, it’s Williams + one of Winfield, McKinney, Blacklock, Gallimore, Gross-Matos, Epenesa, Davis, (for example) or Jones.

That’s easy.
This. Williams is the key for me right now.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

That’s easy.
I was opposed to trading with Washington originally, but I basically think it is a 50-50 deal right now.

I make the move if :

1. the pick we give DC is 105 or lower although throwing in another 5-7th round pick is worth it ;
2. he checks out medically and ;
3. he is willing to restructure his contract.

If this happened, I would restructure both Reiff and Williams and move Riley inside.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

That’s easy.
Or it's Jones + whatever you decide to do with the likely $15 million/year you'd be giving Williams.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:40 pm

That’s easy.
Or it's Jones + whatever you decide to do with the likely $15 million/year you'd be giving Williams.
For me the entire point you are fairly guaranteed to have above avg LT play AND you don't use a valuable draft bullet of you get Williams. The othee scenario neither aspect is true but you save a ton of money for 3-4 years.

I will take Williams.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:18 pm I voted for Williams.
me too :thumbsup:
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

TW is high risk! The guy hasn't played football in almost 2 years. He is old. He is a salary cap leech. Josh Jones can be your LT for 10 years and has a high ceiling.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

TW is high risk! The guy hasn't played football in almost 2 years. He is old. He is a salary cap leech. Josh Jones can be your LT for 10 years and has a high ceiling.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

Triple post...WOW
witljon

Post by witljon »

I voted Williams, but question how hard he will be on our salary cap.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:40 pm I voted Williams, but question how hard he will be on our salary cap.
His arrival would likely coincide with a Reiff departure. That would balance things somewhat.

- Isaac Asimov
Herky

Post by Herky »

Williams helps you more right away. Jones helps you more long term if he’s good.

Minnesota has a small window to win so if you can make the contract work trade for Williams.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Herky wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:45 pm Williams helps you more right away. Jones helps you more long term if he’s good.

Minnesota has a small window to win so if you can make the contract work trade for Williams.
Right. And there are tackles as good as josh Jones in every draft. He’s not a special prospect.

You can get a josh Jones in 2021 or 2022.

- Isaac Asimov
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

I don't know who Josh Jones is, so not him.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:44 pm
witljon wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:40 pm I voted Williams, but question how hard he will be on our salary cap.
His arrival would likely coincide with a Reiff departure. That would balance things somewhat.
If we trade Harris we may be able to keep and restructure Reiff, if he's willing. Harris is like 11.5 off the books, right? I like Ash's idea of one of our 3rds+Harris for Cleveland's 2nd and take Winfield if he's there.

I want Williams but wouldn't give up more than a 4th for him. Maybe a 3rd, but next year.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:01 pm
If we trade Harris we may be able to keep and restructure Reiff, if he's willing. Harris is like 11.5 off the books, right? I like Ash's idea of one of our 3rds+Harris for Cleveland's 2nd and take Winfield if he's there.

I want Williams but wouldn't give up more than a 4th for him. Maybe a 3rd, but next year.
You'll give a 3rd and Harris for a rookie but not a 4th for a 7 time pro bowler?
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

What about Ezra Cleveland?

Imho, you have to come out of this weekend with one of the three.

- Isaac Asimov
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Mandatory wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:06 pm
whiskerbiscuit wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:01 pm

You'll give a 3rd and Harris for a rookie but not a 4th for a 7 time pro bowler?
I said I would give up a 4th for him.

If you wouldn't get rid of Harris and a 3rd for CLE's next pick you'd be insane. It would help get the money we need for Williams.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
RM22

Post by RM22 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:15 pm What about Ezra Cleveland?

Imho, you have to come out of this weekend with one of the three.
I think there are better tackles. Why are so many obsessed with the tackles? Vikings have 2 starters. Many other holes to fill.

4th round tackles. Charlie Heck. Alex Taylor. Trey Adams