Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official NFL Draft 2020 Thread***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Beef Supreme

Re: ***Official NFL Draft 2020 Thread***

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:09 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:08 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:43 pm brandel and hinton will be be long shots to make the team. sometimes this shit needs to be addressed earlier than 207 and 253.
They've now spent two seconds and a 1st in three years on O-line. They just don't seem to be very good at identifying talent on the line.
This. They have also spent money on players like Boone, Reiff etc..

Like you said, they don't seem to get the right ones but it isn't a lack of trying.
Reiff has been at least adequate. The previous first and second picks are starters. I’m not a huge Bradbury guy and think he was over drafted by at least a round, but he’s also at least adequate and should get better. O’Neal is pretty good.

What they haven’t been good at is identifying developmental linemen later in the draft. One thing that makes that really tough is when you change OCs and systems frequently, as we have done a lot recently until this off-season. You develop a guy one direction and then change directions. Then change again the next year. And you wonder why the 6th round guard didn’t turn out three years later.

Hopefully Samia and Udoh change that this year. I enjoyed watching them in the bears game. I think they’ve got a shot, if we stick with the kubiak system and don’t pull the rug out from under their feet just as they’re learning to stand up.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i am saying that when they HAVE chosen OLs in the earlier part of the draft, they have fared much better than trying to snag a gem in the back half. this was spielman's 9th draft - with the guys he picked this weekend, he's now chosen 18 offensive lineman in those 9 years.

here are the guys he's taken in rounds 1-3: matt kalil, pat elflein, brian o'neill, garrett bradbury and ezra cleveland. kalil was a one year wonder, then a bust. elflein looked okay as a center and has been a mess since at guard. o'neill and bradbury both look promising to me - and cleveland is an unknown. so, yeah, definite mixed results - but at least some good with the bad.

then here are the lineman spielman has taken in rounds 4-7: jeff baca, travis bond, david yankey, t.j. clemmings, tyrus thompson, austin shephard, willie beavers, danny isadora, colby gossett, dru samia, oli udoh, blake brandel and kyle hinton. the jury is still out on the last four - but for everyone else, things didn't turn out so well for the vikes or for them. i mean, uff.

cleveland is still an unknown - but i'm glad they at least got him as one of the earlier lineman chosen. if we are going to shore up the O line, i think the first three rounds are the only way to go draftwise. our history stinks rounds 4 thru 7. quality over quantity.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
RM22

Post by RM22 »

Does anyone really think Rick Spielman is a good General Manager? This draft showed some serious flaws. Is he respected around the league?
anita_hanjab

Post by anita_hanjab »

RM22 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:40 pm Does anyone really think Rick Spielman is a good General Manager? This draft showed some serious flaws. Is he respected around the league?
the trade with the saints at the end of the 3rd, is what really leaves a bad taste in my mouth..

a lot of talent there. feel like rick's eyes pop open when he hears: "a 4th, 5th, 6th, AND A 7TH?!?"...let's take that trade!!!

problem is slick rick, we already had enough draft capital without making that trade. What i hate, is that any trade we have made over the past few years is not in our favor on any of the trade value charts. GMs take note of this...

also seems like rick is addicted to the ideology of trading just to trade...even though, again, he gets the short end of the stick on all 'draft trade value charts'.

im personally not a fan of this guy leading us to a SB.
RM22

Post by RM22 »

anita_hanjab wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:58 pm
RM22 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:40 pm Does anyone really think Rick Spielman is a good General Manager? This draft showed some serious flaws. Is he respected around the league?
the trade with the saints at the end of the 3rd, is what really leaves a bad taste in my mouth..

a lot of talent there. feel like rick's eyes pop open when he hears: "a 4th, 5th, 6th, AND A 7TH?!?"...let's take that trade!!!

problem is slick rick, we already had enough draft capital without making that trade. What i hate, is that any trade we have made over the past few years is not in our favor on any of the trade value charts. GMs take note of this...

also seems like rick is addicted to the ideology of trading just to trade...even though, again, he gets the short end of the stick on all 'draft trade value charts'.

Rick also traded away a 5th round pick to the Bears. For a really good DE from Tulsa. So it wasn't just 105 it was another fairly high pick as well.
anita_hanjab

Post by anita_hanjab »

RM22 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:02 pm
anita_hanjab wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:58 pm

Rick also traded away a 5th round pick to the Bears. For a really good DE from Tulsa. So it wasn't just 105 it was another fairly high pick as well.
yes..an early 5th rounder...bears may have a decent year next year..

so we trade an early 5th for what may be a later 4th next year...just because his hands were tied for having too many picks...i just don't get this guy
Last edited by anita_hanjab on Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anita_hanjab

Post by anita_hanjab »

am i the only one that adds up the points on draft pick value charts, and notices we are always on the losing end, whether it be trading up or down?
RM22

Post by RM22 »

How many chances does one General Manager get???
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

Swear to God some of you remind me of awful girlfriends I had in my 20's. You're just not happy unless you've got something to bitch and complain about. This team had huge holes at WR, CB, DT, DE, LB, and could use a future LT, some bodies at OG, and safeties. That's a tall goddamn task going into a single draft.

They got a stud WR, 2 stud CB's, their future LT, put some depth inside and outside on the D-line, grabbed decent prospects for the back 7 that can shift around, at least not make fools of themselves if injuries press them into duty, and can play special teams. They got some developmental guys on the o-line, and their probable future return man. Plus they turned a fifth into a fourth next year, and a sixth into a fifth.

That's a pretty goddamn good job if you ask me.

Some rubes are just plain ass. Could drop 5 G's taking you all out for a night on the town and all I'd hear is how depressed cloudy days make you
Slava Ukrijina 💙💛🇺🇦💙💛
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

Great draft considering there were 31 other teams competing for players and most of the other 31 teams were not cooperating with trades.
I would venture to say that all of us know very little about the football players talents after round 2. A for sure on the 2020 Vikings draft
Reetz

Post by Reetz »

I gotta say it was a solid B draft, solid...but I do gotta say how irritated I was with the trade with the Bears and Saints as well. Look RS is a draft wizard when it comes to moving around but I'm sick of losing top end of the round picks too. Time will tell but I thought after the 4th round we really missed out today
RM22

Post by RM22 »

Tony Bongwater wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:17 pm Swear to God some of you remind me of awful girlfriends I had in my 20's. You're just not happy unless you've got something to bitch and complain about. This team had huge holes at WR, CB, DT, DE, LB, and could use a future LT, some bodies at OG, and safeties. That's a tall goddamn task going into a single draft.

They got a stud WR, 2 stud CB's, their future LT, put some depth inside and outside on the D-line, grabbed decent prospects for the back 7 that can shift around, at least not make fools of themselves if injuries press them into duty, and can play special teams. They got some developmental guys on the o-line, and their probable future return man. Plus they turned a fifth into a fourth next year, and a sixth into a fifth.

Some rubes are just plain ass. Could drop 5 G's taking you all out for a night on the town and all I'd hear is how depressed cloudy days make you
It's really not. Jefferson isn't better than Diggs. The 2 CBs are barely starters. No where as good as Wanyes and Rhodes.

They didn't get shit for Dline help. Nothing but projects. They had chances at better players and traded back both times.

Smart people dont drop 5Gs in a night on anything. Only ugly desperate people do.
Reetz

Post by Reetz »

Deep Purple wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:26 pm Great draft considering there were 31 other teams competing for players and most of the other 31 teams were not cooperating with trades.
I would venture to say that all of us know very little about the football players talents after round 2. A for sure on the 2020 Vikings draft
This is a good point too. And maneuvering around the draft has gotta be difficult and needs experience to be good at
anita_hanjab

Post by anita_hanjab »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:54 pm We set the record!
:naners:

rick one step ahead of everyone..
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

For whatever its worth, the National media seems to love the Vikings draft.

There's this whole thing though, where fans will point out to the media liking things about a team, but the national media does not know the team like the local fans that follow their teams every move, every year. So if you didn't like the draft, you got a fair opinion, and don't let people point out how much the national media loved it.

I thought we did pretty solid. I think most of it falls on the Ezra pick, who I think is our boom or bust guy. We need not just a starter on the line out of this draft, but a quality one. Ezra almost reminds me of the O'neill pick, not necessarily in style of play, but that he was considered a project when drafted, but became one of the teams more reliable guys on the line his rookie season. Likewise, Ezra seems a little raw. He needs to step up right away like O'neill did for me to be happy with this draft class, even if some of the other guys click right away.

Also liked how they added two picks next year, would have maybe liked to see it happen one or two more times though.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

RM22 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:28 pm
Tony Bongwater wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:17 pm Swear to God some of you remind me of awful girlfriends I had in my 20's. You're just not happy unless you've got something to bitch and complain about. This team had huge holes at WR, CB, DT, DE, LB, and could use a future LT, some bodies at OG, and safeties. That's a tall goddamn task going into a single draft.

It's really not. Jefferson isn't better than Diggs. The 2 CBs are barely starters. No where as good as Wanyes and Rhodes.

They didn't get shit for Dline help. Nothing but projects. They had chances at better players and traded back both times.

Smart people dont drop 5Gs in a night on anything. Only ugly desperate people do.
How do you know any of this? Let's get it straight, Waynes just flat out wasnt that good, he never reached his potential and Rhoades could barely make it through a game let alone the year. Diggs wants to be the man, that's cool...but saying a stud 1st rounder wont be as good as a former 5th has no merit. He could be a bust or he could easily be as good or better, but we filled a lot of holes. Assuming and hoping one draft replaces everything that left is stupid, but so dismissing the notion that some of these kids could be really good.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:55 pm For whatever its worth, the National media seems to love the Vikings draft.

There's this whole thing though, where fans will point out to the media liking things about a team, but the national media does not know the team like the local fans that follow their teams every move, every year. So if you didn't like the draft, you got a fair opinion, and don't let people point out how much the national media loved it.

I thought we did pretty solid. I think most of it falls on the Ezra pick, who I think is our boom or bust guy. We need not just a starter on the line out of this draft, but a quality one. Ezra almost reminds me of the O'neill pick, not necessarily in style of play, but that he was considered a project when drafted, but became one of the teams more reliable guys on the line his rookie season. Likewise, Ezra seems a little raw. He needs to step up right away like O'neill did for me to be happy with this draft class, even if some of the other guys click right away.

Also liked how they added two picks next year, would have maybe liked to see it happen one or two more times though.
I agree with this, and specifically adding depth next year. People bitch about spielman trading back a lot, but we drafted I think the most ever players and added a few picks next year. We could have done better, but i think we could have done so much worse.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

digitalwolf wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:55 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:55 pm For whatever its worth, the National media seems to love the Vikings draft.

I agree with this, and specifically adding depth next year. People bitch about spielman trading back a lot, but we drafted I think the most ever players and added a few picks next year. We could have done better, but i think we could have done so much worse.
I don't think there's a lot of people bitching about Rick trading back. Maybe 3 or so guys. Its just kind of a meme now. Its what he does, so people will make fun of it.

Other draft note, 5 Gophers drafted. Thats fantastic. PJ gets a lot of credit for where he has taken this program, but this Gopher draft class was Kill/Claeys last recruiting class. Gopher fans dog on those guys sometimes, but they were a foot stool to what PJ is doing now. The rebuild didn't start with PJ, Kill started it.

Ty Johnson better be ready for Brady...sure he's got Gronk and Evans and Godwin, but Brady always seems to make a name out of the other option, Ty needs to get in the mindset to be that guy.
anita_hanjab

Post by anita_hanjab »

i noticed a few posts regarding teams not being able to trade as much...and i completely agree.

we saw less trading this year than any of the past years.

..i will say this again, and will shut t f up forever for all you spielman ballwashers..

why do the vikings get fleeced in every trade we have made over the past few years in terms of any trade chart in existence?
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

Herky wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:58 pm
vikesbumeout wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:53 pm
mlhouse wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:49 pm Mike Vrabel's kids are rather "unique".
Very
Well he's a Trump guy so.....
super creepy though huh?
Spoiler:
yes I know I just threw you a Trump bone. But still who does that to there own kids?.......
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

RM22 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:28 pmIt's really not. Jefferson isn't better than Diggs. The 2 CBs are barely starters. No where as good as Wanyes and Rhodes.
I get you're a weak ass troll and I'm good with that, but have you been watching football? It doesn't get worse than Rhode's play last year.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
witljon

Post by witljon »

anita_hanjab wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:11 pm am i the only one that adds up the points on draft pick value charts, and notices we are always on the losing end, whether it be trading up or down?
Every draft is different (and teams big boards) which would/should change draft pick value charts.

Example : One year there might be 20 prospects with 1st round grade and 30 prospects with 2nd round grade.
The next year there might be 12 prospects with 1st round grade and 50 prospects with 2nd round grade.
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

Good post.

I really wished the Vikings would have taken a shot at one of those QB's in the 4th or 5th. Other than that, I don't know how anyone could be disappointed with what they did this year.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
RM22

Post by RM22 »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:14 am
RM22 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:28 pmIt's really not. Jefferson isn't better than Diggs. The 2 CBs are barely starters. No where as good as Wanyes and Rhodes.
I get you're a weak ass troll and I'm good with that, but have you been watching football? It doesn't get worse than Rhode's play last year.
He was definitely a step slow, but he wasn't as bad as a rookie. People forget how bad Wayne's and Alexander were their rookie years.
salamander

Post by salamander »

RM22 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:24 am
He was definitely a step slow, but he wasn't as bad as a rookie. People forget how bad Wayne's and Alexander were their rookie years.
CBs rarely play well their rookie year. It's a tough position to transition to in the NFL.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

When you notice it...

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

RM22 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:24 am
HOw do you have this foresight about how our rookies will do?

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Bleeds Purple

Post by Bleeds Purple »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:00 pm When you notice it...

Forgive my ignorance, but who are the 2 individuals in the picture? Because that's not Randy Moss in the 84 jersey, (possibly Cordarrelle Patterson) but Randy never wore the current style uniform/jersey.
Last edited by Bleeds Purple on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Bleeds Purple wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:04 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but who are the 2 individuals in the picture?
81 is Thaddeus Moss, son of Randy Moss. The 84 they used in that picture is Cordarrelle Patterson.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Bleeds Purple

Post by Bleeds Purple »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:06 pm
Bleeds Purple wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:04 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but who are the 2 individuals in the picture?
81 is Thaddeus Moss, son of Randy Moss. The 84 they used in that picture is Cordarrelle Patterson.
That's what I thought. Randy never wore the new style uniform/jersey. I was a tad bit confused. CP84 is a bit tooooo young to have a kid in college.