Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Is Mike Zimmer losing control of the Minnesota Vikings?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
PurpleFloyd

Is Mike Zimmer losing control of the Minnesota Vikings?

Post by PurpleFloyd »

https://thevikingage.com/2020/04/15/mik ... kings/amp/

With several veterans out the door, are the Minnesota Vikings in a reloading phase or has Mike Zimmer lost control of his team?

Under Mike Zimmer, the Minnesota Vikings have enjoyed plenty of success. The Vikings head coach has a record of 57-38-1 and he has secured a pair of NFC North titles since his hiring prior to the 2014 season. This resume is just as good as Dennis Green and Bud Grant when it comes to best coaches in the history of the franchise.

But how has he done it? Many will tell you that he’s built a defense that is routinely in the top 10 of the NFL. Others will describe his no-nonsense, hard-nosed approach that has helped Minnesota win games with teams that have no business winning. But another key component of his success has been the loyalty of his players.

That loyalty has fallen apart over the past couple of weeks as the Vikings have signaled a massive roster overhaul. Some of this was expected. But the other half has been auspicious as players who were figured to be coming back, slammed the door in Zimmer’s face.

—————

I think there is truth to this. It seems like the team isn’t behind him like they were in the past. I hope the coaches he put in place can help pull the team together.
In Kwesi we trust.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Is Mike Zimmer losing control of the Minnesota Vikings?

Post by RubeTube »

Here's the thing, I keep hearing froobs say we need to start "Developing" and "Rebuilding".

I'm fine with that but not will Zimstone and Fickle Rick.

They had their turn. Remember, it was put up or shut up? This is the last year of their deals.

Either build this fucker to compete for it all this year (Not even close right now) or blow it up. Including the head honchos.

How many overhauls has Rick already been a part of? Time to move on. We have 2 playoff wins in over a decade. Some teams do that in one year.
Last edited by RubeTube on Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:44 pm Here's the thing, I keep hearing froobs say we need to start "Developing" and "Rebuilding".

They had their turn. Remember, it was put up or shut up? This is the last year of their deals.

Either build this fucker to compete for it all this year (Not even close right now) or blow it up. Including the head honchos.
los angeles has already come out saying there won't be any sporting events with people in the stands until 2021. if there's going to be football it will be without the fans. something that screwed up almost guarantees that everybody will be getting a pass for another season no matter how it turns out.

Garcetti: Sporting events, concerts unlikely in Los Angeles until 2021

https://www.politico.com/states/califor ... 21-1276698
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:48 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:44 pm Here's the thing, I keep hearing froobs say we need to start "Developing" and "Rebuilding".

los angeles has already come out saying there won't be any sporting events with people in the stands until 2021. if there's going to be football it will be without the fans. something that screwed up almost guarantees that everybody will be getting a pass for another season no matter how it turns out.

So now we have to make.excuses because there are not fans? :lol:

This team should excel without them. They crap em on the biggest stages.

I also don't believe there won't be fans yet. The media has people wound tighter than a drum over this.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:52 pm
weimy froob wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:48 pm

So now we have to make.excuses because there are not fans? :lol:

This team should excel without them. They crap em on the biggest stages.

I also don't believe there won't be fans yet. The media has people wound tighter than a drum over this.
that's just my speculation. i doubt if the wilfs would pull the trigger after such a weird season unless it goes totally pear-shaped. and even then i'd say it'd have to be a four win season for them to do it. 7-8 wins and everybody keeps their job for another year would be my guess.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

That's the dumbest sh*t I've heard, kinda like the UFC securing an island for fights without the fans.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:55 pm That's the dumbest sh*t I've heard, kinda like the UFC securing an island for fights without the fans.
i agree. but that's what they're going to try to sell to the fans. without the fans in the stands it's just a glorified scrimmage to me.
Simpson Get Lifted

Post by Simpson Get Lifted »

I mean, Mike Zimstone had a mutiny a few years ago with his defense here.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Sign him up for another 5 years.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

salamander wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:12 pm Sign him up for another 5 years.
This is the truth.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Zimmer lost control years ago. He is not a head coach. He is a defensive coordinator.

He will not win a Super Bowl here. He is a loser.

I hope the season is cancelled and I get my season ticket money back. This team is going to blow.

But you bozo’s keep drinking the purple kool-aid.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Zimmer is fine. Retool the team and get younger again. Like Percy, the vets that left will miss playing here when their career is over.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Oscar wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:51 am Zimmer lost control years ago. He is not a head coach. He is a defensive coordinator.

He will not win a Super Bowl here. He is a loser.

I hope the season is cancelled and I get my season ticket money back. This team is going to blow.

But you bozo’s keep drinking the purple kool-aid.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh...................did you get sick of taking crap from one of your other 50 fake accounts? Mom on vacation?
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:16 am Zimmer is fine. Retool the team and get younger again. Like Percy, the vets that left will miss playing here when their career is over.
I'm certainly interested to see what they do in this draft. I've been good with letting all the vets go that they did, with the exception of Mac and Diggs. I think they should have re signed Mac, and The Diggs move will really hurt this offense. Zimmer isn't a bad coach. He isn't an elite coach either. I believe it would take another number 1 ranked defense for him to have a chance at a SB. Can he re build the defense very quickly? I don't know, but Rick has a lot of picks this year. 3 in the top 60 is a good start.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

We could get rid of Zimmer and elevate Kubiak and have a coach with a proven record and not even miss a beat.
In Kwesi we trust.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Zimmer has as good of a resume as Bud Grant? lulz
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

Is it Zim or Capt Kirk but when they go up against good teams other than the saints the team chokes
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

“Players who were figured to be coming back, slammed the door in Zimmer’s face.”

Like who?

Alexander? Weatherly?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:17 am “Players who were figured to be coming back, slammed the door in Zimmer’s face.”

Like who?

Alexander? Weatherly?
I assume Waynes, Griff and Mac
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:37 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:17 am “Players who were figured to be coming back, slammed the door in Zimmer’s face.”

Like who?

Alexander? Weatherly?
Griff has said he’s open to coming back. So that’s not it. I think most of us expected waynes to go get money. And Mac?

Okay.

- Isaac Asimov
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:52 pm

Like who?

Alexander? Weatherly?
Griff has said he’s open to coming back. So that’s not it. I think most of us expected waynes to go get money. And Mac?

Okay.
Jayron is the only guy that comes to mind, but he was the #4 Safety on the team, so fuck 'em.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:48 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:52 pm

Okay.
Jayron is the only guy that comes to mind, but he was the #4 Safety on the team, so fuck 'em.
Yeah, this really seems like clickbait.

- Isaac Asimov
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

There’s this weird idea in American sports that the benchmark that everyone should shoot for regarding coaches is finding a Belichik or Bear Bryant or someone who can stay in the job for 15 years.

In soccer over in Europe, even the most successful managers for the worlds top clubs leave after 3-4-5 years no matter what because it’s widely agreed upon that that’s the amount of time that a coach can do his thing without getting stale.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:12 pm There’s this weird idea in American sports that the benchmark that everyone should shoot for regarding coaches is finding a Belichik or Bear Bryant or someone who can stay in the job for 15 years.

In soccer over in Europe, even the most successful managers for the worlds top clubs leave after 3-4-5 years no matter what because it’s widely agreed upon that that’s the amount of time that a coach can do his thing without getting stale.
Are you saying it's time for Zimstone to go?

His play books have to be heavy to lug around.

— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:42 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:12 pm There’s this weird idea in American sports that the benchmark that everyone should shoot for regarding coaches is finding a Belichik or Bear Bryant or someone who can stay in the job for 15 years.

Not necessarily. I’m just saying it’s different in European football.

Jose Mourinho, who currently manages Tottenham, has been manager of Manchester United, Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Chelsea again and Porto all in the last decade and a half.

There’s no sense that he’s lost his edge or the game has passed him by just because he’s moved on from team to team.

That’s because the attitude is different over there. You go in, manage the team and advance the project as far as you can, and in a few years, it’s time for a fresh voice to see if you can continue it even further.

In the US, you either are a Greg Popovich, Jerry Sloan, Bobby Cox lifer or something is wrong with you and you’re fired with the idea that you can’t or shouldn’t coach anymore.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:00 pm

Jose Mourinho, who currently manages Tottenham, has been manager of Manchester United, Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Chelsea again and Porto all in the last decade and a half.

There’s no sense that he’s lost his edge or the game has passed him by just because he’s moved on from team to team.

That’s because the attitude is different over there. You go in, manage the team and advance the project as far as you can, and in a few years, it’s time for a fresh voice to see if you can continue it even further.

In the US, you either are a Greg Popovich, Jerry Sloan, Bobby Cox lifer or something is wrong with you and you’re fired with the idea that you can’t or shouldn’t coach anymore.
What is roster turnover like in euro soccer?

Could play a role. NFL rosters turn over pretty rapidly.

- Isaac Asimov
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:29 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:00 pm

What is roster turnover like in euro soccer?

Could play a role. NFL rosters turn over pretty rapidly.
About the same rate as other American sports. Star players stick around longer, but middling and end of roster guys change every season to varying degrees depending on what size club you are.

The fact that you can loan players out (send them to other clubs to play for an agreed upon time frame while you technically still hold their rights) is a big difference, but I don’t know if that is relevant to this discussion.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

It's soccer that's not weird. OK. I refer you to flopping and getting stabbed by a drunk mob.

What is stupid about NFL fans is they want to fire anyone who's not Belichek winning a title every other year. All you can ask of a football coach is be a playoff team with a chance to advance. Zimm would have 15 job offers if we let him go by 15 teams smarter than Vikes fans. Maybe Les Steckel, Mike Tice, Leslie Frazier, or Childress are still available. Is fucking Jerry fucking Burns still alive? Fuckers! Fuckers!

Not appreciating Zimm is like a Wolves fan not appreciating Flip. Because the new fresh thing is his pussy kid.
mancini199

Post by mancini199 »

Zimmer time should have been up a few years ago..He isn't a good head coach and wants to return football to the 70s with his style of play
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

Zimmer lost control about a week after the Minneapolis Miracle and hasn't recovered since. Should have cleaned house this offseason and went into a full rebuild and they were in perfect position to do it. Better to start the rebuild on time than being 2 years too late.