Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

The Best Vikings RB in the Last Decade

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Dude

The Best Vikings RB in the Last Decade

Post by Dude »

https://www.vikings.com/news/minnesota- ... om-2010-19

I recently stumbled upon the link above which ranks the best Vikings running backs of the last decade. Peterson finishes first, but it's not unanimous.

Where/how would you rank the running backs over the last decade?
cunningham

Re: The Best Vikings RB in the Last Decade

Post by cunningham »

Dude wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:48 pm https://www.vikings.com/news/minnesota- ... om-2010-19

I recently stumbled upon the link above which ranks the best Vikings running backs of the last decade. Peterson finishes first, but it's not unanimous.

Peterson

Cook

Everyone else
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Tahi
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

ADRIAN 4 LYFE!!!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
salamander

Post by salamander »

A lot of this is similar to people who don't think OJ is the best RB in the history of football.
Cook hasn't played enough to even be considered #1.

AP
everyone else (I assume Cook will rise out of this pile)
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

salamander wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:08 pm A lot of this is similar to people who don't think OJ is the best RB in the history of football.

AP

You think Cook will be better than AP and OJ? :lol:

Good. lord.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:11 pm
salamander wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:08 pm A lot of this is similar to people who don't think OJ is the best RB in the history of football.

AP

Good. lord.
Not likely but entirely possible.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:59 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:11 pm

AP

Good. lord.
Not likely but entirely possible.
No. Just. No.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

Dude wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:48 pm https://www.vikings.com/news/minnesota- ... om-2010-19

Dalvin Cook has played 29 games in 3 seasons as a Viking, 9.6 games a season.

I'm not sure how anyone could actually say he's been the best RB of the last decade unless they're trying to extrapolate the big "what if" of if Dalvin Cook could make it through a full season.

"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations." - Joe Biden, July 2021
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Why are we so triggered by a fan poll online?

We all know AP is the answer to the question. Does it need to bother you so guys so much that some idiot fans voted the other way on a meaningless poll?

This is the second thread about this today.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

AP
You think OJ was better than Jim Brown? Are you nuts?

Not even close, bud.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:45 pm

Yeah. The first one was locked because you triggered Abe so I thought I'd restart it. You're welcome.

I swear you're the least self aware smart guy I've ever encountered.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Dude wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:37 pm

Yeah. The first one was locked because you triggered Abe so I thought I'd restart it. You're welcome.

I’ve talked shit about Abe in several threads. That one got banned because people weren’t even talking football in it.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Long read, but it may forever change your life: :scooter: (edited trying to get links to work)

False “facts” and invented stats or grossly exaggerated realities vs stuff that really happened - let’s talk about that. That’s Peterson’s legacy in a nutshell anyway.

First of all, people jumping to race in that last thread.. - “The Great White North” is where I grew up (Shakopee) and I didn’t edit anything in the banned post - go back and look, it’s in the last paragraph, last 3 words - ever heard of Hoser? It’s a song, probably before your time..again, race was never part of my posts-someone else brought that in...

Let’s start with the Adrian Peterson fumble falacy-:

Peterson has 3036 carries, 41 fumbles - that’s straight from NFL.com and thats one fumble every 74.0487804878 carries. 8

http://www.nfl.com/player/adrianpeterso ... areerstats

Cook has 457 carries in his career, 7 fumbles = one fumble every 65.2857142857 carries.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... okDa01.htm

So that means, obviously Cook fumbles more often than Peterson. Yet Peterson is known as the big fumbler. :roll: shocking? Yet true.

Peterson is not nearly the natural receiver Cook is, but then again, he played with these 22 QBs, try not to drool over these beauts:

2007 - Tavaris Jackson
2007 - Kelly Holcomb
2007 - Brooks Bollinger
2008 - Gus Frerotte
2009 - Brett Favre
2010 - Joe Webb
2011 - Donovan McNabb
2011 - Christian Ponder
2013 - Matt Cassel
2013 - Josh Freeman
2014 - Teddy Bridgewater
2016 - Shaun Hill
2016 - Sam Bradford
2017 - Drew Brees
2017 -Carson Palmer
2017 -Drew Stanton
2018 -Alex Smith
2018/19-Colt McCoy
2018 -Mark Sanchez
2018 -Josh Johnson
2019 -Case Keenum
2019 -Dwayne Haskins

Cook:
Well, Kirk has to be better than a few on that list..but what about that 2013-15 Oline and all the Probowlers we had? What, we were ranked 32nd and paid the Oline the most in the league? Impossible! That would mean Cook has better blockers than Peterson.. Yet again, yep these things too really happened. As bad as Cooks Oline has been, it was never, even on their worst day, worse than Peterson’s Olines after 2008. Maybe Peterson had better WR to take the heat off him a little..maybe not.. :shrug:

Then there’s more on the receiving myth:

Peterson averaged 350-450 receiveing yards with Favre and go back and look again at the infamous 22 QBs list to understand the rest.

Cook with Kirk 90, 300, 519 in 3 years, with a west coast OC..

Go ahead and read this article if you doubt me (it’s about Peterson’s receiving being the cornerstone of his success in Washington). Yeah he can catch, we just couldn’t throw or block in space for years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... s-catcher/

Hard to believe Peterson can actually catch when paired with a decent QB like Kirk, isn’t it? we’ve heard so much smoke otherwise..

So I hope that helps clarify my resources, facts and reasoning as to why most of the anti-AD “facts” are really far from it(which explains the 4500 Cook is better votes) and What’s really surprising is how the false facts seems to have fooled usually intelligent, reasonable football minds. They were mislead. They still insist it must be true when the stats clearly reflect that it never was. Hype carries I guess, even when not grounded in facts. I think Chip Bayless is to blame. Only he could mesmerize the masses so erroneously. Flipping Chip Bayless.. :D :punch:
Last edited by BuDG123 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:16 am, edited 12 times in total.
Bleeds Purple

Post by Bleeds Purple »

Matt Asiata has to be right up there. During his career with the Vikings, he averaged 1 TD for every 69.94 yards rushed.

Peterson on the other hand is up around 1 TD for every 121.1 yards rushed.

Therefore, Asiata is a much better RB than Peterson ever was!
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Bleeds Purple wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:08 am Matt Asiata has to be right up there. During his career with the Vikings, he averaged 1 TD for every 69.94 yards rushed.

Peterson on the other hand is up around 1 TD for every 121.1 yards rushed.

Therefore, Asiata is a much better RB than Peterson ever was!
If he was an option, pretty sure they (4500 voters) would have voted him a close second. Don’t think he made the minimum carry requirements. Maybe they will vote him most dominant RB in 2013 next time. Par.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:27 pm

AP

Not even close, bud.
Hey Don, do you happen to know how many Probowl Lineman did Jim Brown play behind? Do you know how his replacement did when Brown retired, did he too make the Probowl and average more yards per carry than even Jim behind the same line? Does he hold the all time record for yards after contact? You’d sure think so, if not Brown, who could it be? So many surprising stats..don’t get me wrong, I think Brown was awesome, near the top.
Last edited by BuDG123 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

BuDG123 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:59 pm False “facts” and invented stats or grossly exaggerated realities vs stuff that really happened - let’s talk about that. That’s Peterson’s legacy in a nutshell anyway.

First of all, people jumping to race in that last thread.. - “The Great White North” is where I grew up (Shakopee) and I didn’t edit anything in the banned post - go back and look, it’s in the last paragraph, last 3 words - ever heard of Hoser? It’s a song, probably before your time..again, race was never part of my posts-someone else brought that in...

Let’s start with the Adrian Peterson fumble falacy-:

Peterson has 3036 carries, 41 fumbles - that’s straight from NFL.com and thats one fumble every 74.0487804878 carries. 8

http://www.nfl.com/player/adrianpeterso ... areerstats

Cook has 457 carries in his career, 7 fumbles = one fumble every 65.2857142857 carries.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com ... okDa01.htm

So that means, obviously Cook fumbles more often than Peterson. Yet Peterson is known as the big fumbler. :roll: shocking? Yet true.

Peterson is not nearly the natural receiver Cook is, but then again, he played with these 22 QBs, try not to drool over these beauts:

2007 - Tavaris Jackson
2007 - Kelly Holcomb
2007 - Brooks Bollinger
2008 - Gus Frerotte
2009 - Brett Favre
2010 - Joe Webb
2011 - Donovan McNabb
2011 - Christian Ponder
2013 - Matt Cassel
2013 - Josh Freeman
2014 - Teddy Bridgewater
2016 - Shaun Hill
2016 - Sam Bradford
2017 - Drew Brees
2017 -Carson Palmer
2017 -Drew Stanton
2018 -Alex Smith
2018/19-Colt McCoy
2018 -Mark Sanchez
2018 -Josh Johnson
2019 -Case Keenum
2019 -Dwayne Haskins

Cook:
Well, Kirk has to be better than a few on that list..but what about that 2013-15 Oline and all the Probowlers we had? What, we were ranked 32nd and paid the Oline the most in the league? Impossible! That would mean Cook has better blockers than Peterson.. Yet again, yep these things too really happened. As bad as Cooks Oline has been, it was never, even on their worst day, worse than Peterson’s Olines after 2008. Maybe Peterson had better WR to take the heat off him a little..maybe not.. :shrug:

Then there’s more on the receiving myth:

Peterson averaged 350-450 receiveing yards with Favre and go back and look again at the infamous 22 QBs list to understand the rest.

Cook with Kirk 90, 300, 519 in 3 years, with a west coast OC..

Go ahead and read this article if you doubt me (it’s about Peterson’s receiving being the cornerstone of his success in Washington). Yeah he can catch, we just couldn’t throw or block in space for years.

[url] https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... tcher/[url]

Hard to believe Peterson can actually catch when paired with a decent QB like Kirk, isn’t it? we’ve heard so much smoke otherwise..

So I hope that helps clarify my resources, facts and reasoning as to why most of the anti-AD “facts” are really far from it(which explains the 4500 Cook is better votes) and What’s really surprising is how the false facts seems to have fooled usually intelligent, reasonable football minds. They were mislead. They still insist it must be true when the stats clearly reflect that it never was. Hype carries I guess, even when not grounded in facts. I think Chip Bayless is to blame. Only he could mesmerize the masses so erroneously. Flipping Chip Bayless.. :D :punch:
Worthless to even discuss it with these haters. He's the only player to win MVP that's not a QB in 13 years.

Dalvin Cook won't run for 2K+, He won't get in the top 5 RBs of all time. Hell, he won't even sniff the top 25.

Cooks best year as a pro wasn't much bettet than APs at 33 years old.

I don't think many remember how much of a beast this guy was. He was a one man wrecking crew that single handedly won games when every opponent knew this shit hole of a franchise had no one that throw the football.

He was Vikings football for a decade.

Dalvin Cook is just merely a guy not the franchise nor a legend.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

BuDG123 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 am

AP

Not even close, bud.
Hey Don, do you happen to know how many Probowl Lineman did Jim Brown play behind? Do you know how his replacement did when Brown retired, did he too make the Probowl and average more yards per carry than even Jim behind the same line? Does he hold the all time record for yards after contact? You’d sure think so, if not Brown, who could it be? So many surprising stats..don’t get me wrong, I think Brown was awesome, near the top.
I don't think advanced stats like yards after contact were kept in the fifties and sixties. Feel free to post them, though.

Brown averaged 6.4 yards per attempt in his best year at his peak. Let me know which Browns running back who replaced him ever topped that.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Brown was a beast, his peak was incredible and he was the dominant back for the whole time he played. Retired a little early - but still played 9 seasons - retired before he started breaking down, much like Sanders.
Last edited by BuDG123 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:53 pm

Not even close, bud.
I don't think advanced stats like yards after contact were kept in the fifties and sixties. Feel free to post them, though.

Brown averaged 6.4 yards per attempt in his best year at his peak. Let me know which Browns running back who replaced him ever topped that.
Jim Brown is one of my all time favorites and there is no doubting he is more of a legend than AP. He also played at a time where he had more to worry about than just playing football.

With that said... AP is still a top 5 great imo.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:17 pm

Jim Brown is one of my all time favorites and there is no doubting he is more of a legend than AP. He also played at a time where he had more to worry about than just playing football.

Jim Brown wasn't just the best running back to ever play football, he is probably the best athlete the United States has ever produced.

He is a member of 3 Hall of Fames: the National Football, the College Football, and the Lacrosse.

He was an All-American in both football and lacrosse at Syracuse.

While in college he not only was on the varsity football and lacrosse teams, but was a starter on the varsity basketball team and finished 5th in the National Decathalon with the track team. Not just a running back, he was also the teams kicker.

Athletically, he was way ahead of his time with the size/speed elements of a modern day NFL player.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:12 pm

Jim Brown wasn't just the best running back to ever play football, he is probably the best athlete the United States has ever produced.

He is a member of 3 Hall of Fames: the National Football, the College Football, and the Lacrosse.

While in college he not only was on the varsity football and lacrosse teams, but was a starter on the varsity basketball team and finished 5th in the National Decathalon with the track team. Not just a running back, he was also the teams kicker.

Athletically, he was way ahead of his time with the size/speed elements of a modern day NFL player.
Absolutely spot on. The very definition of a "man among boys ". I have heard a number of times in various bio shows on him that he may just be the greatest college Lacrosse player in history as well.

Way, way, way before his time.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:31 am

Absolutely spot on. The very definition of a "man among boys ". I have heard a number of times in various bio shows on him that he may just be the greatest college Lacrosse player in history as well.

No doubt. Superman on a football field. Hell, even as of a few years ago, he looked like he could still suit up and play--like he was invincible to even the ageing process. It was a little weird seeing him with a cane at the recent NFL 100 celebration during the Super Bowl.
NutCupGuy

Post by NutCupGuy »

There is at least one and possibly a few more folks who spent a decade+ rubbing themselves to Adrian. I'm talking watched highlight videos weekly, listened to every interview, read every story, bought every version of his jersey, etc.

Then one day he was gone and they didn't know what to do with themselves, let alone how to handle it mentally. When this person/people then heard froobs say critical things about Adrian... Oh boy.

And here we are now, all these years later and they're no closer to letting this go. Adrian is not a Viking and never will be again. Please read this final statement back to yourself at least 3 times...

He's gone, he's not coming back, it's over, move on.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Angry Waters wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:34 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:31 am

No doubt. Superman on a football field. Hell, even as of a few years ago, he looked like he could still suit up and play--like he was invincible to even the ageing process. It was a little weird seeing him with a cane at the recent NFL 100 celebration during the Super Bowl.
Thought the same thing. Remember when there was rumor he may come back to play for Raiders when he was 47? He is one guy who may have been "not terrible" as a 47 year old back!
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

Adrian Peterson is the best running back of all-time. The Vikings will put him in the stupid Rind of Honor and he'll end up being forgotten and compared to bad running backs.

You're welcome for seeing the future.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

NutCupGuy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:49 am There is at least one and possibly a few more folks who spent a decade+ rubbing themselves to Adrian. I'm talking watched highlight videos weekly, listened to every interview, read every story, bought every version of his jersey, etc.

Then one day he was gone and they didn't know what to do with themselves, let alone how to handle it mentally. When this person/people then heard froobs say critical things about Adrian... Oh boy.

And here we are now, all these years later and they're no closer to letting this go. Adrian is not a Viking and never will be again. Please read this final statement back to yourself at least 3 times...

He's gone, he's not coming back, it's over, move on.
he will get his purple jersey retired.
Last edited by BuDG123 on Fri May 15, 2020 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Dude wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:37 pm

Somebody else (not me) Triggered Abe, 3 other posters carrying an argument over from polichat and not discussing Cook or Peterson at all...and I get banned from posting for 3 months and counting for simply starting the thread THEY chose to derail.

Makes complete sense. :drinky: Kill the bystander?

Here I thought I could get my mind off my 24/7 care for my dying mom by coming here and discussing football like the old days and I get wacked with this instead. Thanks for the help boys. Thanks a lot.
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

Adrian Peterson is the best running back the Vikings have ever had and a first-ballot hall of farmer. Regardless of your feelings for him. Votes for anyone else is agenda-driven.

However, I like Cook's game a lot better. It was posted somewhere that Dalvin Cook had 1135 yards, 519 receiving yards, and 13 td's in 2019 all in 14 games. The only other players to do that are Faulk, Holmes, and Gurley.

My personal opinion for the best rb ever is that guy from Detroit who wore #20. Yeah, that guy.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"