Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Is Grabbing the Front Collar the Same as Illegal Hands to the Face?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
cunningham

Re: Is Grabbing the Front Collar the Same as Illegal Hands to the Face?

Post by cunningham »

Well, at least the Lions won't be angry or anything when we play them this week. :roll:

Those still shots are really damning. Didn't see the game, but looks like the typical Packers' ref free for all!
Dude

Post by Dude »

JPM wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:40 am Amazing how Viking fans scrutinize EVERY call in a Packer game but Packer fans rarely do that in a Viking game.

#insecuritychat
"Vikings fans" lol.

Have you been on any sports media site today besides this one? The officiating in last nights game is being criticized nationally.
Eroder

Post by Eroder »

Dude wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:11 pm
JPM wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:40 am Amazing how Viking fans scrutinize EVERY call in a Packer game but Packer fans rarely do that in a Viking game.

#insecuritychat
"Vikings fans" lol.

Have you been on any sports media site today besides this one? The officiating in last nights game is being criticized nationally.
Christ, there are Bushmen in the nether regions of Africa who have never seen civilization that are saying the Packers were given a gift win...
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Bracket Champion for Eternity

"The injustices on this site know no bounds" - Abe Froman
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

Get rid of replay totally.

Or you allow anything and everything to be reviewed.you get 2, plus a bo us if correct on both

Want to review a false start in the 1st quarter. Go ahead, but you may need to review a BS hands to the face call.

No more auto reviews.

All reviews have to be done at game speed, no frame by frame slow mo that makes a touch on the arm look like a mugging.

I remember when refs would throw a flag if it had an effect on the play, not calling a hold on a WR lined up wide left on a 3 yard run to the right. Guys are 30 yards from a play and getting called for shit.

I used to look forward to Sunday all week, friends, family would be over. Making food, beers.

Now after the vikings game I couldnt care less.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

Packers #1 in the league in beneficiary penalties.
Eroder

Post by Eroder »

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:15 pm Packers #1 in the league in beneficiary penalties.
But only since they starting tracking that stat in 1991

Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

If they don’t increase the number of challenges a coach can make in any one game, I don’t see why they can’t make every referee call on the field reviewable.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Baktiari admitted that he pressed the ref to call those penalties and the fucking pansy-ass ref did.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

I liked the idea floated earlier about one ref is in a booth and can stop the game. Should be very highly paid and best of the pool.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:35 pm If they don’t increase the number of challenges a coach can make in any one game, I don’t see why they can’t make every referee call on the field reviewable.
This.

This is the biggest problem I have with it.

That Saints Rams game caused the PI reviews. What's next? A big holding call in a big game and we start reviewing that?

Just let the coaches review anything they want with their challenges. It's dumb you can look at one penalty but not another.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:41 am
JPM wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:32 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:42 am

Says the Packer fan who logs onto a Minnesota Sports based message forum daily.
Lurking? After 12 -13 years on Rube Chat. Good one.
Can you even read?
For God sakes he isn't a Packer fan. :lol:
hategreenticemase

-Jaymo- wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:55 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:06 am The irony, and it was very very subtle but it happened, is Bahktari actually put his hand on the De facemask briefly on that play.

The screaming that never ends here about GBay gets every call etc is of course nonsense by dummies. But man, last night was bad. The first one is bad enough, but the second one directly cost them the game. Pathetic.

The good news is, I think we can all feel better about Green Bay. They are nothing special. Not even close.
The first hands to the face happened on third down and extended the packers drive on which they scored a TD three plays later. It had as much, if not more, impact as any call of the game.

Lions got fucked sans lube, no two ways about it.
To be honest I forgot they were separate drives. For some reason I was thinking both same drive. You are correct. The first one is literally like a turnover. They are getting ball back, and now they ain't with that call. Terrible
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

Eroder wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:31 pm
Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:15 pm Packers #1 in the league in beneficiary penalties.
But only since they starting tracking that stat in 1991
:lol:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I'll email league offices and see what I come up with.

Stay Tuned!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

What I don't get is why the Lions coach did not challenge the obvious pass interference
Eroder

Post by Eroder »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:35 pm What I don't get is why the Lions coach did not challenge the obvious pass interference
Have you not been paying attention to what's been going on with that new rule?

Riveron has not been calling anything that's been challenged or reviewed. (Except, of course, on Cook that negated the Diggs TD)

It would have been a waste of a time out..

minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

One thing you can count on.... The refs will come back with some make up calls for the lions this weekend when they play the Vikes.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Eroder wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:45 pm
mlhouse wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:35 pm What I don't get is why the Lions coach did not challenge the obvious pass interference

Riveron has not been calling anything that's been challenged or reviewed. (Except, of course, on Cook that negated the Diggs TD)

The Lions were ahead in the game and never got to use those time outs. It was OBVIOUS defensive pass interference and well worth the risk of losing a time out.
Eroder

Post by Eroder »

minnemike wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:46 pm One thing you can count on.... The refs will come back with some make up calls for the lions this weekend when they play the Vikes.
Of course they will. I'm guessing 10-12 penalties for 90-120 yards

Eroder

Post by Eroder »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:49 pm

The Lions were ahead in the game and never got to use those time outs. It was OBVIOUS defensive pass interference and well worth the risk of losing a time out.
So you haven't been paying attention.

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Eroder wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:50 pm

It was well worth the use of a timeout to force a review of that defensive PI. It was a mistake to not challenge.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

I think there is something blatant going on behind closed doors with league officials. It appears they have decided to ignore the PI review and just keep in place whatever was called. Maybe there has been a reverse or two but I haven't saw any. I seen some opportunities they could have corrected themselves.

I don't know if it's ego or what but if I made a bad call I'm all good with making it right. It's so bad right now teams are afraid to lose a TO and a challenge because the refs won't be honest with the challenge.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

JPM wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:15 am In the pool report interview, referee Clete Blakeman said "prolonged" and "forceful" contact to the "head or neck area" creates the illegal use of hands foul. Trey Flowers flagged twice for the infraction in the fourth quarter.
See that's the fine print. I never really seen an illegal hands that wasn't hands to the face.

If the rule does state neck area it would have to be considered a foul, he's grabbing and holding the pads under his neck and pushing up toward the neck and using that leverage to drive back to the pocket.

I don't know, it looked like bad calls at the time but I don't have any fine prints on the hand book rules.

Someone said Baktiari notified the ref that the Flowers was doing what he was doing, maybe he knows something about the rules we don't.

Either way it did look like the Lions got jobed, the roughness call on Walker was also tough call, IMO that was inadvertent helmet to helmet as they were both going for the ball. It was a tough call on Walker.
hategreenticemase

I'm starting to like you. Well played. :lol:
Eroder

Post by Eroder »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:17 pm

I'm starting to like you. Well played. :lol:
Not playing. Just stating how I see things.

PS: Charles Davis was most certainly biased against the Vikes on Sunday. If you didn’t see that, then you didn’t pay attention.

Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:58 pm

It was well worth the use of a timeout to force a review of that defensive PI. It was a mistake to not challenge.
What he is saying is that challenges against PI calls have been rarely overturned, and it’s clear the league has instructed the refs to only overturn calls when they are as egregious as the Saints/Rams one.

I agree that it was pretty blatantly PI last night, but there have been clearer instances than that that have been upheld.
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:46 pm

What he is saying is that challenges against PI calls have been rarely overturned, and it’s clear the league has instructed the refs to only overturn calls when they are as egregious as the Saints/Rams one.

I agree that it was pretty blatantly PI last night, but there have been clearer instances than that that have been upheld.
How many times have we seen Rodgers throw that same ball. Comes up short, the receiver stops and the DB with his back to the wall gets called.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I must be a fucking idiot because the play last night was way more egregious than whatever Dalvin Cook did in the GB game.

Who the fuck knows what PI is anymore? Throw the challenge flag. Who knows what they’ll see? Maybe they’ll call traveling or a balk or something.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Yes, but at least give the referees the chance to review it in such a critical juncture. The probability of the Lions winning rises dramatically if they make that first down rather than punt the ball.

BTW, the other crock was when they overturned the Kenyron Johnson fumble into an incomplete pass. The ruling on the field was a completed pass with the ball fumbled out of bounds. There was not clear and compelling evidence that he did not have control, in fact, I think it was pretty clear he had control. He caught the ball with two hands, took steps, shifted the ball to his outside arm but then his leg hit the ball. Terrible review.
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

While the packers are getting bailed on on every call they got to start the years with 5 home games in the first 7 weeks.

One of them was week 1. Then they get 10 days off before 3 straight home games. Then they finally get another road game. But 10 days off before it. Then They get 8 days off before 2 more home games in a row.

Couldn't ask for a better schedule for a rookie headcoach.