Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

This team would be better off with Case Keenum

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
D_H

This team would be better off with Case Keenum

Post by D_H »

No he doesn't have the arm, doesn't have the physical stature , doesn't have the look, but what's between his chest is more important and I guarantee you he was more respected by his teammates than Kirk Cousins is. The money we're paying him should have been spent on the O-line, Case Keenum was just fine in this system. I have a feeling Mike Zimmer didn't want him, it was a GM move.
Beef Supreme

Re: This team would be better off with Case Keenum

Post by Beef Supreme »

Maybe.

I think the argument that Case + player we acquired with cap space savings > Cousins is legit. No sure if we’re better with a straight up swap or not.

But remember. We loved 2017, but Case exposed his limitations in the playoffs. Nobody is going to win a title with Case. So we tried Cousins. Looks like that ain’t going to work either. I just wish we weren’t locked into year 3...
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Case looks bad in Washington, BTW...

- Carl Jung
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Teddy looks awful in New Orleans...

Maybe we never had the answer and need to keep looking.

Trevor Lawrence?

- Carl Jung
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Knee jerk reaction of course wanting Case. The only thing that would have helped is to save 7 or 8 million in cap space a year. No, it's clear once again that we have not found our franchise QB and if I'm Spieldope I am having a scout be on the lookout for a hidden gem for next April's draft. OR maybe Rahgers becomes available!!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Team’s not going anywhere with either.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Herky

Post by Herky »

All Case would have done was saved them money. Don't forget he wasn't that great near the end of the season when teams had tape on him. He sucked in the Eagles game in the playoffs too.
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:14 pm Teddy looks awful in New Orleans...

Trevor Lawrence?
You'd have to be the worst team in the NFL next season to win that lottery since he's only a sophomore.

Miami this season alone has given up 102 points and scored 10 in their first two games, good luck trying to dive beneath them in the next couple years.
"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations." - Joe Biden, July 2021
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Why Not Us wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:44 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:14 pm Teddy looks awful in New Orleans...

Trevor Lawrence?
You'd have to be the worst team in the NFL next season to win that lottery since he's only a sophomore.

Miami this season alone has given up 102 points and scored 10 in their first two games, good luck trying to dive beneath them in the next couple years.
Think they’ll get their QB this year?

- Carl Jung
Herky

Post by Herky »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:55 pm
Why Not Us wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:44 pm

Trevor Lawrence?

Think they’ll get their QB this year?
Tua Togovailoa?
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

Not sure if I would want Keenum back.

But he did beat some good teams.

More than Captain Crap My Pants.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Tmoney wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:04 pm Not sure if I would want Keenum back.

He didn't curl up in the fetal position like Cousins does .......that just bothers me. I think his teammates can sense his mental weakness.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

D_H wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:07 pm
Tmoney wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:04 pm Not sure if I would want Keenum back.

He didn't curl up in the fetal position like Cousins does .......that just bothers me. I think his teammates can sense his mental weakness.
In fairness, If Stephon Diggs was 9 feet tall, he would have given Cousins a better window to fit that ball in.

- Carl Jung
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Team might be better with Keenum but still not good enough. So if Cousins can get you 9 wins and Keenum can get you to 10 but neither can get you a SB win, why would you want Keenum?
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Keenum isn't a good option either. I'd still take Cousins over 11-12 other starting QBs in the league right now (keenum included). Cousins is what he is. A middle of the road QB. He's not going to win you games. This should be a good learning lesson for Zim and Kubiak. You pound the rock and take any and all pressure off Cousins. He's not gonna win you games. Stop trying to make him into something he's not.

The Vikings had no business throwing the ball on that last INT anyway. Fricken bone head call. We were running it down their throat.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:17 am Team might be better with Keenum but still not good enough. So if Cousins can get you 9 wins and Keenum can get you to 10 but neither can get you a SB win, why would you want Keenum?
I agree with you, but the reason to want Keenum would be that he probably makes less money, on a non-guaranteed contract. The Vikings could theoretically walk away after this season, when their cap situation turns sours, and not have to carry his salary into a rebuild.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

QB's that this team would be better with than Cousins... that were available.

Keenum
Kaepernick
Fitzpatrick
Foles
Tannehill
Tyrod Taylor
Bridgewater

Keeping in mind, we would have saved anywhere between $8 million-$15 million with each of these QB's

Kirk Cousins is not a good QB. I am 100% convinced now. If I am the Wilfs, I am in Spielmans office this morning wondering who the fuck thought Cousins at $27 million/year would be a good idea.

That game yesterday was ripe for the taking... everything fell into place after the poor defensive start... The running game was clicking... the defense was dominate... the only turd sandwich in the equation was Kirk Cousins.

Kirk Cousins deserves every bit of hate that he is getting right now. This team has all the pieces in place to be a Super Bowl team... we just need slightly above average QB play. At $27 million per year, that is not too much to ask for... slightly above average.

Fuck Zimmer, Fuck Spielman... and a huge fuck you to Kirk Cousins.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

Hindsight is 20/20. We'd probably be in the same position had we kept Keenum, except this time it would be easier to give a younger QB a shot because people aren't fretting over '$84 MILLION'. It's easier to bench a 15 mil/year QB than a 30 mil/year QB
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

I guess when I said keep Keenum and draft Lamar Jackson doesn’t look like that bad of an idea anymore.
RC3

Post by RC3 »

Herky wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:21 pm All Case would have done was saved them money. Don't forget he wasn't that great near the end of the season when teams had tape on him. He sucked in the Eagles game in the playoffs too.
Could they not have used the extra money to upgrade at other positions?
reddish?

I will have my vengeance.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

B-Town wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:36 am
Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:17 am Team might be better with Keenum but still not good enough. So if Cousins can get you 9 wins and Keenum can get you to 10 but neither can get you a SB win, why would you want Keenum?
I agree with you, but the reason to want Keenum would be that he probably makes less money, on a non-guaranteed contract. The Vikings could theoretically walk away after this season, when their cap situation turns sours, and not have to carry his salary into a rebuild.
Yes. They would have more cap to get more playmakers but still have a QB who can't get you all the way. And that is really all that matters. Winning a SB with a non-elite (or elite-playing) QB happens once every 20 years. (Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson but those times might not be happening anymore)
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

RC3 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:10 am
Herky wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:21 pm All Case would have done was saved them money. Don't forget he wasn't that great near the end of the season when teams had tape on him. He sucked in the Eagles game in the playoffs too.
Could they not have used the extra money to upgrade at other positions?
To what end? In today's league, great playmakers around an average QB doesn't get you a SB.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

cunningham wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:03 am I guess when I said keep Keenum and draft Lamar Jackson doesn’t look like that bad of an idea anymore.
I'm not saying that Cousins was the correct idea but I'm still not sold on Lamar. He has beaten two bad teams this year. Last year, was mostly running. That being said, he is starting to make a believer of me.
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

Trevor Lawrence?
I would have liked to see what Sloter could do.

I guess the reality is that if we needed him as an insurance policy then we were already screwed any way.

And here we are.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:12 am
B-Town wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:36 am
Yes. They would have more cap to get more playmakers but still have a QB who can't get you all the way. And that is really all that matters. Winning a SB with a non-elite (or elite-playing) QB happens once every 20 years. (Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson but those times might not be happening anymore)
Actually, that's not really my argument. I'll explain a little more. In 2020, the Vikings cap situation is a disaster. They've been handing out huge contracts like candy and next year is the year that the house of cards starts to crumble. Assuming that neither Keenum or Cousins were going to get us a Super Bowl in 2018 or 2019, I'd rather have Keenum, because his contract and salary are less likely to interfere with the rebuild that's going to have to take place. The fact that Cousins has a fully guaranteed $28mil salary is going to mean that the team will lose an additional 1-2 high level starters.

Stup up, Abe!
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

vikesbumeout wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:15 am

Trevor Lawrence?
I would have liked to see what Sloter could do.

I guess the reality is that if we needed him as an insurance policy then we were already screwed any way.

And here we are.
:lol:

I actually expected this to be brought up a lot earlier....

Stup up, Abe!
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:14 am
cunningham wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:03 am I guess when I said keep Keenum and draft Lamar Jackson doesn’t look like that bad of an idea anymore.
I'm not saying that Cousins was the correct idea but I'm still not sold on Lamar. He has beaten two bad teams this year. Last year, was mostly running. That being said, he is starting to make a believer of me.
He was Teddy’s replacement and looked better physically.

Think of the cost savings and the offensive line we could have built. The weapons that could have been brought in.

Strapping this team to Cousins like this should get Spielman fired. This isn’t his first mistake. Hell, Bradford was bad too. Freeman, Ponder, TJoke, etc.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

The team really rallied around Case Keenum. Also you have to remember just how bad the Vikes offensive line was that year and especially against the Eagles game in the playoffs. No QB stood a chance against the Eagles.

Cousins is the exact same QB he has always been his whole career. There is no improvement in Kirk's game he is way past development. The Vikings are screwed for 2 more years. Its going to take NEW Management to draft the next franchise QB and that remains this teams biggest weakness since Wade Wiskey Wilson took the field!!
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

cunningham wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:25 am
Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:14 am
He was Teddy’s replacement and looked better physically.

Think of the cost savings and the offensive line we could have built. The weapons that could have been brought in.

Strapping this team to Cousins like this should get Spielman fired. This isn’t his first mistake. Hell, Bradford was bad too. Freeman, Ponder, TJoke, etc.
I agree. I don't want Speilman making the next QB decision. But I remember saying, "at least Speilman and Ponder are tied at the hip". That didn't work out.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Tank in 2020 for Trevor Lawrence. Bring back Sloter and let him start all 16 games with Cousins on the bench (or released) next season.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.