Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Take aways from this game

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
hategreenticemase

Take aways from this game

Post by hategreenticemase »

1. Zimmer had his team unprepared and got whupped to start this game. I dont care about drive to start the game, he gives up many TD drives on opening drives. Its sign of a good coach that the most success comes against them first drive of a game when team had whole week to prepare against what you usually do. But the next two drives shocked me and frustrated the shit out of me.

After that, he coached a hell of a game, and whupped the little kid on the other sideline. What a moron - I still cannot believe not just kicking the FG and going into halftime up 3 scores. Gave us huge momentum and put us right back in game. Loved the second to last 4th quarter drive passing multiple times in clock eating mode. I hope this is what Lafluer is, I thought he had the most to do with almost losing that game.

2. I am just so tired of our OL woes I could fucking puke. Kline was what we thought he was - he must have been pushed back 4-5 yards at least 8 times. LG sucked. Bradbury with penalties. We try doing play action and even then most the time he is under duress - altho, by one complaint play calling wise is we still dont do play action enough. Its infuriating. Its been 5 years of this bullshit and its all extremely avoidable. How RS has a job, I just dont understand.

3. I just dont know how a supposedly "good qb" can play worse than he did today. Lets remember should have been another pick that we broke up, and then in first half had Thielen wide open on seam and a good pass its a td, instead he has to make an incredible catch due to underthrown ball. 13-32. Its almost incomprehensible. Worse yet, he just looked fucking scared today. We are in real, real trouble with the qb position as its clear the OL is same old same old, and he simply isnt good enough to mask ANY OL deficiency.

4. I love Diggs, but you dont get to take that penalty after the two hugely killer drops you had before that. Get your head out of your ass.

5. Dalvin Cook was the best player on the field today for either team, period. Fucker single handedly almost won that game. Broke tackles, made shit out of nothing, he was really, really good today.
Why Not Us

Re: Take aways from this game

Post by Why Not Us »

My takeaway is the PI review rule is probably the dumbest thing to happen to the NFL in decades.
"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations." - Joe Biden, July 2021
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:10 pm 1. Zimmer had his team unprepared and got whupped to start this game. I dont care about drive to start the game, he gives up many TD drives on opening drives. Its sign of a good coach that the most success comes against them first drive of a game when team had whole week to prepare against what you usually do. But the next two drives shocked me and frustrated the shit out of me.

After that, he coached a hell of a game, and whupped the little kid on the other sideline. What a moron - I still cannot believe not just kicking the FG and going into halftime up 3 scores. Gave us huge momentum and put us right back in game. Loved the second to last 4th quarter drive passing multiple times in clock eating mode. I hope this is what Lafluer is, I thought he had the most to do with almost losing that game.

2. I am just so tired of our OL woes I could fucking puke. Kline was what we thought he was - he must have been pushed back 4-5 yards at least 8 times. LG sucked. Bradbury with penalties. We try doing play action and even then most the time he is under duress - altho, by one complaint play calling wise is we still dont do play action enough. Its infuriating. Its been 5 years of this bullshit and its all extremely avoidable. How RS has a job, I just dont understand.

3. I just dont know how a supposedly "good qb" can play worse than he did today. Lets remember should have been another pick that we broke up, and then in first half had Thielen wide open on seam and a good pass its a td, instead he has to make an incredible catch due to underthrown ball. 13-32. Its almost incomprehensible. Worse yet, he just looked fucking scared today. We are in real, real trouble with the qb position as its clear the OL is same old same old, and he simply isnt good enough to mask ANY OL deficiency.

4. I love Diggs, but you dont get to take that penalty after the two hugely killer drops you had before that. Get your head out of your ass.

5. Dalvin Cook was the best player on the field today for either team, period. Fucker single handedly almost won that game. Broke tackles, made shit out of nothing, he was really, really good today.
what did you think of rogers?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I’ll add that Harry played a strong game too.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

1. Totally agree about coming out flat. We were lucky it wasn't 42-0. The defense was adjusted and we played better although our run defense needs to step it up. T00 many rushing yards on first down.

2. Totally agree about Dalvin Cook. BUT WTF were the VIkings doing late in the first half. They stopped the Packers and have the ball on their own 40 with 4:56 in the first haldf down 21-7. This is one of the most important drives of the game. If the VIkings can march it down and get points, they are right back in the game. But instead of Cook, it is Mattison and Ameer Abduallah who are in the backfield for the 3 plays that end with COusins throwing an INT. Even if Cook is tired, put him in as a damn decoy and make the Packers react to him.

3. The Vikings were slow on offense to pick up that the Packers were keeping outside contain on the bootlegs, but they finally ran several very succesful cutbal plays against it later in the game.

4. The single Don Beebe play demonstrates why teh Vikings need to put more slot action in their passing game plan. If you have a good slot receiver it makes it virtually impossible for the defence to cover him when you have two receivers like Thielen and DIggs. Beebe was actually double covered on that play, but did an out and in, a route the Packers did not see coming, and broke wide open. One thing a good slot receiver adds is an almost automatic hot receiver that can present problems to the defense after the catch.

5. Speaking of the Vikings passing offense, blame the oLine and Cousins all you want, and there is a lot to blame but one real problem the passing attack has is it seems to have absolutely zero plays that are quick throws on a 3 step drop, no rhythm throws, no quick breaking routes and no timing routes. Everything is slow and ponderous with a full 5-7 step drop. Given our success running hte ball, a quick slant should break open behind the linebackers, would cut down the opponents pass rush, and help the running game.

6. With all that said, and I have been a solid defender of Kirk Cousins, he sucked today. He literally threw our chance of winning away with a panic throw that you would only expect from an NFL rookie.

7. The overturning of the Vikings touchdown was complete bullshit. It is doubtful that was even offensive PI because that was Cook's defender who was actually impeding Cook's route.

8. Again, the Vikings kicking woes are highlighted. The way Mike ZImmer wants to build his and run his team, the Vikings should have the best kicker in the league. Every possible point needs to be squeezed so you can't miss FGs under 50 yards and you can't miss XP (even if it is 48 yards).
hategreenticemase

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:36 pm I’ll add that Harry played a strong game too.
Totally meant to add that. He was fucking great.
hategreenticemase

weimy froob wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:34 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:10 pm 1. Zimmer had his team unprepared and got whupped to start this game. I dont care about drive to start the game, he gives up many TD drives on opening drives. Its sign of a good coach that the most success comes against them first drive of a game when team had whole week to prepare against what you usually do. But the next two drives shocked me and frustrated the shit out of me.

Good to start when everything was scripted, then skittish and victim of not smart coaching, then made play of game when had to on last drive - noting, it was after he was given 3 tries to do so drive before and failed. He was overall probably "pretty good". I dont think GB is that good. Look like a 7-8 win team.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

It sucks that the Packers seem to have finally found a shutdown CB in Alexander. That Diggs TD was very very close to being an int.
Flexin'

Post by Flexin' »

I was happy to see the D bounce back the way they did. They were incredible in the second half.
hategreenticemase

mlhouse wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:42 pm 1. Totally agree about coming out flat. We were lucky it wasn't 42-0. The defense was adjusted and we played better although our run defense needs to step it up. T00 many rushing yards on first down.

2. Totally agree about Dalvin Cook. BUT WTF were the VIkings doing late in the first half. They stopped the Packers and have the ball on their own 40 with 4:56 in the first haldf down 21-7. This is one of the most important drives of the game. If the VIkings can march it down and get points, they are right back in the game. But instead of Cook, it is Mattison and Ameer Abduallah who are in the backfield for the 3 plays that end with COusins throwing an INT. Even if Cook is tired, put him in as a damn decoy and make the Packers react to him.

3. The Vikings were slow on offense to pick up that the Packers were keeping outside contain on the bootlegs, but they finally ran several very succesful cutbal plays against it later in the game.

4. The single Don Beebe play demonstrates why teh Vikings need to put more slot action in their passing game plan. If you have a good slot receiver it makes it virtually impossible for the defence to cover him when you have two receivers like Thielen and DIggs. Beebe was actually double covered on that play, but did an out and in, a route the Packers did not see coming, and broke wide open. One thing a good slot receiver adds is an almost automatic hot receiver that can present problems to the defense after the catch.

5. Speaking of the Vikings passing offense, blame the oLine and Cousins all you want, and there is a lot to blame but one real problem the passing attack has is it seems to have absolutely zero plays that are quick throws on a 3 step drop, no rhythm throws, no quick breaking routes and no timing routes. Everything is slow and ponderous with a full 5-7 step drop. Given our success running hte ball, a quick slant should break open behind the linebackers, would cut down the opponents pass rush, and help the running game.

6. With all that said, and I have been a solid defender of Kirk Cousins, he sucked today. He literally threw our chance of winning away with a panic throw that you would only expect from an NFL rookie.

7. The overturning of the Vikings touchdown was complete bullshit. It is doubtful that was even offensive PI because that was Cook's defender who was actually impeding Cook's route.

8. Again, the Vikings kicking woes are highlighted. The way Mike ZImmer wants to build his and run his team, the Vikings should have the best kicker in the league. Every possible point needs to be squeezed so you can't miss FGs under 50 yards and you can't miss XP (even if it is 48 yards).
I agree with most of this. Cook is going to come out and they need to keep him fresh, but I guess my point is, it can be for 1-2 plays here, 1-2 plays there - not entire drives. Drove me bat shit crazy when we routinely took Harvin off the field in red zone back in the day. I dont care two flying fucks if you dont use him, but line the fucker up because no question the F was scared shitless of him. Same can be said for using Cook as a decoy rather than on bench.

Im not an officiating ripper too often - I thought it was bad today and Christ, even the announcers got on Vikes keep getting short end of stick.

I also think Cousins would benefit from some more quick rhythm stuff. Also will help play action as its again something not used to seeing. Problem is our OL sucks so bad he never gets clean pocket even in play action or at least not enough.
hategreenticemase

Car Ramrod wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:52 pm It sucks that the Packers seem to have finally found a shutdown CB in Alexander. That Diggs TD was very very close to being an int.
That play was sick. Sick. Cant believe he almost got that.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

My take away?

GPG!
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Car Ramrod wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:52 pm It sucks that the Packers seem to have finally found a shutdown CB in Alexander. That Diggs TD was very very close to being an int.
you could see how good he was last year. he was great against the rams.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:54 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:42 pm 1. Totally agree about coming out flat. We were lucky it wasn't 42-0. The defense was adjusted and we played better although our run defense needs to step it up. T00 many rushing yards on first down.

I agree with most of this. Cook is going to come out and they need to keep him fresh, but I guess my point is, it can be for 1-2 plays here, 1-2 plays there - not entire drives. Drove me bat shit crazy when we routinely took Harvin off the field in red zone back in the day. I dont care two flying fucks if you dont use him, but line the fucker up because no question the F was scared shitless of him. Same can be said for using Cook as a decoy rather than on bench.

Im not an officiating ripper too often - I thought it was bad today and Christ, even the announcers got on Vikes keep getting short end of stick.

I also think Cousins would benefit from some more quick rhythm stuff. Also will help play action as its again something not used to seeing. Problem is our OL sucks so bad he never gets clean pocket even in play action or at least not enough.
Slow down. Given how many games Cook has missed due to injury so far in his career, I’m fine with making sure he gets rest during the game. Besides, we invested a 3rd into Mattison (who looks good), we might as well use him. I guarantee, if Cook tweaks a hammy due to fatigue, we’d be asking for someone’s head.

With you on the officiating. I don't like to dwell on it, but the Cook OPI was bull.

- Isaac Asimov
D_H

Post by D_H »

Cousins is terrible and a mental Little Person that's all you need to know
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

D_H wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:02 pm Cousins is terrible and a mental Little Person that's all you need to know
Until he proves otherwise, this is really all that matters.

- Isaac Asimov
D_H

Post by D_H »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:04 pm
D_H wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:02 pm Cousins is terrible and a mental Little Person that's all you need to know
Until he proves otherwise, this is really all that matters.
It really is pathetic. He melts against a halfway decent team.
hategreenticemase

Don't post in my threads, jackass. We are having decent discussion here - take your garbage to the other garbage threads.
hategreenticemase

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:58 pm

Slow down. Given how many games Cook has missed due to injury so far in his career, I’m fine with making sure he gets rest during the game. Besides, we invested a 3rd into Mattison (who looks good), we might as well use him. I guarantee, if Cook tweaks a hammy due to fatigue, we’d be asking for someone’s head.

With you on the officiating. I don't like to dwell on it, but the Cook OPI was bull.
We are on same page on Cook. His health needs to be Paramount, period. I'm just saying, let's remember he is a weapon even as a decoy, and his "sitting" I would prefer in 1-2 play spellings from mattison, rather than entire drives. You can rest him just as well on a 10 play drive here he is sits 3-4 plays and only carries it 2 times.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:58 pm

Don't give him the fucking ball. Play action it. Instead, they had Mattison/Abdullah in the game and threw the ball 3 times in a row.

I am all for resting Cook, but that was NOT the drive to do it on and if they are going to throw the ball 3 times in a row, probably the only time in the game the dyd, PUT COOK IN TO MAKE THE PLAY ACTION MORE BELIEVABLE.

Just does not make sense. Good field position. Critical point in game. We decide we will throw the ball. They take Cook out. Where is the logic?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:48 pm

Good to start when everything was scripted, then skittish and victim of not smart coaching, then made play of game when had to on last drive - noting, it was after he was given 3 tries to do so drive before and failed. He was overall probably "pretty good". I dont think GB is that good. Look like a 7-8 win team.
the reason why i asked was because i thought the story of the game was the defense after the first three drives and DC. both played good enough for this team to be a legit playoff one. but if rogers is slipping i'd take that defensive play with a grain of salt.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

they already have 2 wins and will win 9-10 min.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

JPM wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:05 pm they already have 2 wins and will win 9-10 min.
Mmmkay!
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
D_H

Post by D_H »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:17 pm
Don't post in my threads, jackass. We are having decent discussion here - take your garbage to the other garbage threads.
:doublefinger:

Cousins folds vs any team that is above average.

Oh yeah :doublefinger:
hategreenticemase

weimy froob wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:03 pm

the reason why i asked was because i thought the story of the game was the defense after the first three drives and DC. both played good enough for this team to be a legit playoff one. but if rogers is slipping i'd take that defensive play with a grain of salt.
Defense was damn good. Lafluer helped, though. He kicks the no brainer fg and I think we lose 27 or 30 to 14.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Pretty good takes, Mike.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:40 pm Pretty good takes, Mike.
Hey thanks, Stanley.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Good breakdown. Lots of things to work on for sure.

I read Cousins was pressured on 60% of his passing attempts. 50% is considered not good. Not defending Cousins because he sucked today but the line was awful in pass protection.
Last edited by Herky on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hategreenticemase

weimy froob wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:03 pm

No question D gave us a chance. For damn sure they are rippable for being so unprepared - that was ridiculous. But to pitch a shutout rest of way, that's a game we need to win. I don't see GB getting More than 13-16 next time we play - unless the offense is garbage and can't get first downs and keep our d on sideline.
Herky

Post by Herky »

The defense did look completely unprepared and lost that first half. Can't start in a hole like that.