Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Play calling..

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Jacksquat

Play calling..

Post by Jacksquat »

Oc should be fired, you are running the ball at will, why throw to the endzone and of course cousins can't make a pass when it matters
Beef Supreme

Re: Play calling..

Post by Beef Supreme »

You pay a guy $30M to not make a throw that bad there.

It’s not on the playcall, it’s on the execution.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Jacksquat

Post by Jacksquat »

I guess I say ride what got you down there and it was the running game, but yes cousins should make a better decision in that situation
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Part of playcalling is running a play when no one would expect it. Probably should have run the ball there, but they wanted the dagger. If it wasnt there, you need to throw it away. 2% on Playcall there, 98% on Cousins.
sh1mmyya

Post by sh1mmyya »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:28 pm You pay a guy $30M to not make a throw that bad there.

This.
Formally known as Pooperscooper
Never forget page 116
Rip Flip
bri

Post by bri »

I don't mind the pass call, but I would have just kept running it. This is all on Cousins
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

1st and goal ya take a shot. You cant keep running because your QB might take a dump in his helmet.

That's a classic throw it out of the endzone play.

But shit for brains screwed the pooch
BigInflateable

Post by BigInflateable »

That whole deal was on Kirk. Don't even try to blame that shit on Stefanski. End of discussion.
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:28 pm You pay a guy $30M to not make a throw that bad there.

True, but that was a horseshit call. Eat the clock and score a TD. They had no chance of stopping the run. I don’t know if Cousins was trying to throw it oob or not, but you run the ball every down there and this is a Vikings win.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Minnesota was averaging 8 yards a carry and they pass on 3rd and goal. Green Bay's defense was tired.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

-Jaymo- wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:39 pm

True, but that was a horseshit call. Eat the clock and score a TD. They had no chance of stopping the run. I don’t know if Cousins was trying to throw it oob or not, but you run the ball every down there and this is a Vikings win.
Eat clock? There was 6 mins left and 3 more offensive plays, max. :lol:

They had no chance to stop the run? Ah, yeah, it gets considerably tougher to run inside the 10 due to shrinking the field down. I think I probably run for the simple fact the best player on the field for either team was 33 today, but I dont think it was a horrible call. In fact, I dont mind specifically bringing him back on the field and running play action out of it - everyone in building thought he would get it.

Play call may be slightly questionable but there is simply no question who is to blame for that play. Fucking preposterous.
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:55 pm Play call may be slightly questionable but there is simply no question who is to blame for that play. Fucking preposterous.
5 minutes left.

52 yard drive, 5 yards in the air, 1st and goal at the 8, and you suddenly want to put the game in the hands of a guy who barely completed 40% of his passes, behind an OL that couldn’t pass block for shit?

OC getting too cute when they were absolutely shoving the ball down the packer’s throat.

Horrible fucking call. Especially on 1st down. The result speaks for itself.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Cousins can never beat a good team he's the definition of phony stats he's nothing but a mental Little Person
Eroder

Post by Eroder »

D_H wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:27 pm Cousins can never beat a good team he's the definition of phony stats he's nothing but a mental Little Person
Agreed. Still better than Teddy.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Bracket Champion for Eternity

"The injustices on this site know no bounds" - Abe Froman
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

If your QB can’t at least make a throw away there, then everything else is academic.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

-Jaymo- wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:26 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:55 pm Play call may be slightly questionable but there is simply no question who is to blame for that play. Fucking preposterous.
5 minutes left.

52 yard drive, 5 yards in the air, 1st and goal at the 8, and you suddenly want to put the game in the hands of a guy who barely completed 40% of his passes, behind an OL that couldn’t pass block for shit?

OC getting too cute when they were absolutely shoving the ball down the packer’s throat.

Well the second paragraph there is an element of irony, thats for sure. :mrgreen:

Like I said, I agree I run Cook there if for no other reason than he was best player on the field. But, bringing him in as a decoy to run play action (the thing Cousins is best at) wasnt a horrid idea. Like Beefie said, there is no other top15 qb who doesnt throw that away. Thats on him.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Jacksquat wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:26 pm Oc should be fired, you are running the ball at will, why throw to the endzone and of course cousins can't make a pass when it matters
play calling obviously wasn't bad, Kirk throwing the ball WAS the problem.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
D_H

Post by D_H »

Eroder wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:33 pm
D_H wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:27 pm Cousins can never beat a good team he's the definition of phony stats he's nothing but a mental Little Person
Agreed. Still better than Teddy.

Nope
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

The play call will never ever matter if your QB makes this decision.
Bogey Bob

Post by Bogey Bob »

-Jaymo- wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:26 pm
5 minutes left.

Yeah, clearly not a great play call. But, on first down the QB needs to make a good decision. Zero reasons to try and force it in there. Any decent QB knows better.

I can’t believe the number of people that continue to make excuses for this QB. Look at his entire career! This is what he does!
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

My favorite was having Kyle Rudolph catch a swing pass in the backfield on something like 2nd and 20.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

On any given play he is Christian Ponder, or Brett Favre.

That was a Ponder pick, the TD to Diggs was a Favre throw, went right through the DBs arm but was perfect.
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

Bogey Bob wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:04 pm Yeah, clearly not a great play call. But, on first down the QB needs to make a good decision. Zero reasons to try and force it in there. Any decent QB knows better.

I can’t believe the number of people that continue to make excuses for this QB. Look at his entire career! This is what he does!
I’m not making excuses for Cousins, it’s what he does. Everybody knows it. That’s why it’s so fucking baffling that you’d put the game in his hands when you are ramming it down the throats of a obviously gassed D.

43% completions.
1 INT already (could have been several)
2 fumbles, 1 lost

^that’s who’s hands you want the ball in with the game on the line?

fuck that
Bogey Bob

Post by Bogey Bob »

-Jaymo- wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:20 pm
Bogey Bob wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:04 pm Yeah, clearly not a great play call. But, on first down the QB needs to make a good decision. Zero reasons to try and force it in there. Any decent QB knows better.

I’m not making excuses for Cousins, it’s what he does. Everybody knows it. That’s why it’s so fucking baffling that you’d put the game in his hands when you are ramming it down the throats of a obviously gassed D.

43% completions.
1 INT already (could have been several)
2 fumbles, 1 lost

^that’s who’s hands you want the ball in with the game on the line?

fuck that
I hear ya. It’s a freaking shame that he can’t be trusted in obvious situations like that. I mean, you’d even expect most rookies to know better much less a vet like him making the kind of cash he does. I dunno, man...we’re all frustrated.

I’m just still shocked there’s so many Cousins apologists out there. I know he seems like a nice guy and all but wow, he gets a lot of excuses made for him. (Didn’t mean to imply you were specifically).
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

First and goal from the 8 and rather than call a run play and take some time off the clock, they elect to pass and throw the INT and that's what ticked me off about today. It was their last chance to pull ahead and given that opportunity you'd want to try to do that and leave Rodgers as little time as possible. I have no doubt that had we scored there, we would've left too much time and shit the bed and let Rodgers march down to set up a game winning FG because that's the kind of shit that happens to this coaching staff. I'm so sick of seeing them not get called out for their terrible clock managment in games.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Night Train wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:55 pm First and goal from the 8 and rather than call a run play and take some time off the clock, they elect to pass and throw the INT and that's what ticked me off about today. It was their last chance to pull ahead and given that opportunity you'd want to try to do that and leave Rodgers as little time as possible. I have no doubt that had we scored there, we would've left too much time and shit the bed and let Rodgers march down to set up a game winning FG because that's the kind of shit that happens to this coaching staff. I'm so sick of seeing them not get called out for their terrible clock managment in games.
The Vikes were indeed runnin well and why not keep that up. However, even if they kept things on the ground Rahgers would have had plenty of time to get the Pack in FG position at the very least.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:09 pm My favorite was having Kyle Rudolph catch a swing pass in the backfield on something like 2nd and 20.
That fucking baffled me. So frustrating seeing them trying to expect Rudolph to break off big YACs, especially in screen situations where he starts behind the LOS, it's a miracle Rudolph got 5 yards on that play.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Night Train wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:58 pm
DonaldDouchebag wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:09 pm My favorite was having Kyle Rudolph catch a swing pass in the backfield on something like 2nd and 20.
That fucking baffled me. So frustrating seeing them trying to expect Rudolph to break off big YACs, especially in screen situations where he starts behind the LOS, it's a miracle Rudolph got 5 yards on that play.
Not. A. Good. Play. Call.
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:34 pm
Night Train wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:58 pm
Not. A. Good. Play. Call.
I have to assume, or atleast hope that wasnt the desired outcome. Something must have gone wrong and it was Rudolph or a sack.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Cousins was 0-4 in the Red Zone. That's not going to win you many games.