Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Minkah

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Hector

Minkah

Post by Hector »

Would you do it and what would you give up?

The Minnesota Vikings would be wise to approach the Dolphins about Minkah Fitzpatrick. His versatility would be a dangerous addition to the defense.
Things are falling apart in a hurry for the Miami Dolphins. They recently traded their most promising young player in Laremy Tunsil. Several veterans in the locker room voiced their displeasure before Tunsil was shipped off to Houston in exchange for draft picks. Recently acquired quarterback Josh Rosen failed to secure the starting job in camp. The long off-season seemed to never end.

Miami followed that up with a disastrous 59-10 loss at home to the Baltimore Ravens in Week 1. As the rebuild takes shape, pieces are starting to align. Minkah Fitzpatrick is now on the trade block as the team searches for a new plan.

The Minnesota Vikings should go all-in and make an offer for the disgruntled stud.

The Dolphins have granted permission to DB Minkah Fitzpatrick to seek a trade, according to multiple sources who say Miami's asking price is too high. Dolphins have no comment. Story coming with help from @CameronWo
Fitzpatrick was a first-round draft selection in 2018 and played well as a rookie. He played in all 16 games last season and made an impact all over the field. By year’s end, Fitzpatrick had two interceptions and nine pass breakups to go along with 80 tackles. He is a versatile defensive back with the ability to line up just about anywhere in the secondary. Fitzpatrick saw snaps at both safety spots, outside corner, and in the slot. He is the perfect young defensive back for Mike Zimmer.

The Minnesota Vikings absolutely need to contact Miami. Their own defensive backs cannot seem to stay healthy. Mackensie Alexander is battling a dislocated elbow with no timetable for his return. Mike Hughes has yet to play since tearing his ACL last season. With a dwindling secondary and a championship window in mind, the Vikings need to make something happen. The Dolphins already have a handful of high draft picks for the future, so they may not be too greedy. Even if they are, what do the Vikings have to lose?

If you ask me, the Vikings should do all they can to bring Fitzpatrick up north. A second-round pick – and change – is a no-brainer. If Miami wants a first-round pick, that works also. The Minnesota Vikings have had horrible luck with recent first-round draft picks. If they can find a starting-caliber talent at that price right now, they have to acquire him.

Realistic trade to consider: Minnesota’s 2020 second-round pick and DL Jalyn Holmes for Minkah Fitzpatrick.

It is all speculation for now, but Fitzpatrick could be an incredible addition to Mike Zimmer’s defense with his versatility in the passing game. For now, it’s all a waiting game. If a move is indeed made, I will follow up with more!
twgerber

Re: Minkah

Post by twgerber »

It just won't happen.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Fitzpatrick is making 3.7M this season. Vikings have 1.6M available cap space.

He makes 4.4M next season and the Vikings show being 4.3M over the cap for next season already.

Don’t expect the Vikings to be big players in FA either. This team needs OL more then anything.

#MOIST

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
Mnsportsfan22

Post by Mnsportsfan22 »

I think a trade for him would mean rhodes or waynes are gone next year. But him being Rhodes replacement isn't a bad thing get younger and save some money
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I like Minkah and any time talent becomes available, you have to consider it.

But I reject the premise of the article. Making a dramatic move because Alexander and Hughes are out is short-sighted. They’ll be back, after all.

Also, one of the reasons he wants out is because he’s bounced around the backfield so much. He wants to settle in at one position and thrive (or so I heard on the radio yesterday).

I make the move if I feel I can get a talent at below market value, not to fill a temporary hole due to injury. Or, keep an eye on the future and maybe move Waynes and a 2 or 3, since Waynes is a FA next year and not likely to return. Not sure if Miami would do that, but it should be an angle for the Vikes to consider, if they feel Fitzpatrick could come in and start with little drop off or learning curve.

But we’re not as DB desperate as the article implies and absolutely don’t need to make a move that isn’t a value move for us.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

I would consider a 1 and a 3.

He is cheap, you control him for a couple more years.

Should be a late 1st. Plus, waynes probably leaves in free agency and nets as high as a 3rd as a compensatory pick.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I have been on the Dolphins forums the last week with this one.

First off, I think a 2nd rounder gets it done. They haven't had much interest. Maybe it would take a 1st since the Vikings will be selecting late.

Secondly, Dolphins fans seem to view this guy more as a safety than a CB. When viewed as a CB, they like him as more of a slot guy.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:36 am I have been on the Dolphins forums the last week with this one.

First off, I think a 2nd rounder gets it done. They haven't had much interest. Maybe it would take a 1st since the Vikings will be selecting late.

Secondly, Dolphins fans seem to view this guy more as a safety than a CB. When viewed as a CB, they like him as more of a slot guy.
I think his greatest value to us would be in the slot as a long-term replacement for Alexander, if he leaves in FA. We have Hughes as a replacement for Waynes if we lose him.

- Isaac Asimov
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

A 2nd round pick definitely gets it done!

The Dolphins are reportedly looking for a first-round pick and “something else” in order to deal Fitzpatrick. Per the report, some teams do not believe the Dolphins will find takers at that price.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media also reports that a first-round pick is a must for the Dolphins in a trade, but has a rosier report in terms of Miami’s chances of landing that compensation. He reports that there’s been “real and serious” interest and that a deal could come to fruition this week.

#MOIST

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

BlackDog

Post by BlackDog »

Dan33185 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:32 pm
On to Jalen Ramsey lol
“Your boos mean nothing to me, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Hmmm.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

Wow. Steelers are 0-2 with Ben gone for the year, that could easily be a top 10 pick.
"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations." - Joe Biden, July 2021
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

That may be the dumbest fucking trade I have ever seen. Wow.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Miami now has 3 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders.

Sounds good but you gotta hit!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

twgerber wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:53 am It just won't happen.
There are $84 million reasons why we cant afford it.

Hey why not?!.........we did it with Mauer and look how many HRs that bought us.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

No
In Kwesi we trust.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Even for a 2nd round pick this would be a bad deal.

My cornerback plan is :

1. Resign Trae Waynes
2. Use a premium (first - third) round pick on a cornerback.

Even if you want to claim that Fitzpatrick is better than a 2nd round pick, I am not that high on him I would rather have the 2nd round guy. A 2nd round rookie deal fits better and Zimmer can develop him for the long run.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:36 pm Even for a 2nd round pick this would be a bad deal.

My cornerback plan is :

1. Resign Trae Waynes

Even if you want to claim that Fitzpatrick is better than a 2nd round pick, I am not that high on him I would rather have the 2nd round guy. A 2nd round rookie deal fits better and Zimmer can develop him for the long run.
Are you keeping Rhodes or cutting him?

What about Alexander? He’s a FA this year too.

What about Kearse? He plays in the slot and can play safety too.

Speaking of safety, what about Harris?

All these guys are going to be a hell if a lot richer by this time next year. There’s no way we keep them all. Can’t afford it, especially with ~$30M guaranteed to the quarterback.

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:41 pm
mlhouse wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:36 pm Even for a 2nd round pick this would be a bad deal.

My cornerback plan is :

1. Resign Trae Waynes

All these guys are going to be a hell if a lot richer by this time next year. There’s no way we keep them all. Can’t afford it, especially with ~$30M guaranteed to the quarterback.
There is enough contract value to work with to create room to bring back Waynes, Harris, and Kearse. I reluctantly let Alexander walk. But with Hughes coming back and using a decent draft pick (1-2-3a-3b), that is a top level 4 deep CB depth chart.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

vikesbumeout wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:16 pm
twgerber wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:53 am It just won't happen.
There are $84 million reasons why we cant afford it.

Hey why not?!.........we did it with Mauer and look how many HRs that bought us.
No they didn't do the same thing with Mauer. He was already on the team that wasn't up against the cap
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Yeah, that’s a pretty terrible trade for the Steelers.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:41 pm

My cornerback plan is :

1. Resign Trae Waynes

Maybe the Vikings should be in fire sale mode and build up for that draft!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
stout93

Post by stout93 »

So you guys want to spend another 1st round pick on a CB? My God...

I think it's a given the first will be used on a QB, whether that is via the draft or as part of a trade.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

One loss and people want to give up on the season? Seriously?

WOW just WOW
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
BlackDog

Post by BlackDog »

OL is shit
WR depth isn’t good
Gonna need a DT
Possible QB

But hey, let’s just use another high pick on corner. :roll:
“Your boos mean nothing to me, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”
vikesbumeout

Post by vikesbumeout »

twgerber wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:45 am One loss and people want to give up on the season? Seriously?

WOW just WOW
Not true. Its an 18 game evaluation and conclusion.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
Hector

Post by Hector »

stout93 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:39 am So you guys want to spend another 1st round pick on a CB? My God...

I think it's a given the first will be used on a QB, whether that is via the draft or as part of a trade.
Original speculation was it'd be a second or possibly even third for Minkah. I'd do that all day long.

I'm most definitely on the "bomb for Fromm" bandwagon, he's great in the intermediate game which seems to be lacking badly here. I never wanted Kirk for anything more than a placeholder for a rookie.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

vikesbumeout wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:06 pm
twgerber wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:45 am One loss and people want to give up on the season? Seriously?

WOW just WOW
Not really. Every season is different and I was more replying to those calling for a fire sale.
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
vikesbumeout

Post by vikesbumeout »

twgerber wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:35 pm
vikesbumeout wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:06 pm

WOW just WOW
Not really. Every season is different and I was more replying to those calling for a fire sale.
So we can both be right then.

Every season stands alone and an 18 game body of work is statistically significant to judge competence.