Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Are any current Vikings on HOF trajectory?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Ash Ketchum

Are any current Vikings on HOF trajectory?

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Obviously a lot will depend on longevity and possible championships, but was asked this question by a buddy.

Does Harrison Smith have a chance?

Barr, I would say, is on that pace if he can keep it up (based on Pro Bowls). Would have to put together another 7-8 years of similar production.

Thielen, the same.

Too early to say on Cook, but he likely won't get enough volume over the years to put up HOF numbers.

Anyone else? Thoughts?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Are any current Vikings on HOF trajectory?

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:48 pm Obviously a lot will depend on longevity and possible championships, but was asked this question by a buddy.

Barr, I would say, is on that pace if he can keep it up (based on Pro Bowls). Would have to put together another 7-8 years of similar production.

Thielen, the same.

Too early to say on Cook, but he likely won't get enough volume over the years to put up HOF numbers.

Anyone else? Thoughts?
Thielen? The guy is already 30 next year. I don't see that happening.

I know you are a big Barr guy and I like him too but nothing so far says HOF to me. He's going to need better individual stats. The pro bowl doesn't mean anything anymore. Half the guys that go are replacements now.

Dirty Harry has a chance and Hunter has a career ahead of him.

Those are about the only two imo. It's hard to judge HOF talent in this league anymore though. Careers don't last as long, guys are not used the same etc..

I will tell yoh what.. If Kirk Cousins keeps putting up the same #'s and plays until he's 40 and wins a ring or two, he may be the best candidate.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:54 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:48 pm Obviously a lot will depend on longevity and possible championships, but was asked this question by a buddy.

Thielen, the same.

Anyone else? Thoughts?

I know you are a big Barr guy and I like him too but nothing so far says HOF to me. He's going to need better individual stats. The pro bowl doesn't mean anything anymore. Half the guys that go are replacements now.

Those are about the only two imo. It's hard to judge HOF talent in this league anymore though. Careers don't last as long, guys are not used the same etc..

I will tell yoh what.. If Kirk Cousins keeps putting up the same #'s and plays until he's 40 and wins a ring or two, he may be the best candidate.
Yeah, you're right on Thielen, that's my bad.

If Barr keeps going to Pro Bowls at the clip he has been so far, he's going to be in. That's a tall order, but who knows?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:05 pm

Thielen, the same.

Anyone else? Thoughts?

If Barr keeps going to Pro Bowls at the clip he has been so far, he's going to be in. That's a tall order, but who knows?
Like you said before.. Rings will go a long way in determining some of these players chances.

I think we have as good of a team as we could ask for but we don't seem to have a AP, Moss, Allen type on this squad.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Thielen, the same.

Anyone else? Thoughts?

HOF is about countable stats, and that has never been Barr's game. Derrick Brooks played OLB nina 4-3 and is a HOF player, but he'd get 150 tackles a year. Barr gets half that. Awesome player, but not HOF.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Win a super bowl and they all got a shot.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
salamander

Post by salamander »

Hunter (needs to continue for a long time) & Smith.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Spielman is a first ballot HOF lock.

No one in the NFL has produced as many A++ drafts as him!

#MOIST

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Smith and Hunter are the only two I think of. While there are above avg players pro bowl players on any single team at a single time are usually few and far between.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

beetlebum71 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:15 pm

HOF is about countable stats, and that has never been Barr's game. Derrick Brooks played OLB nina 4-3 and is a HOF player, but he'd get 150 tackles a year. Barr gets half that. Awesome player, but not HOF.
Sure, but Pro Bowls matter (for some reason).

Barr has been selected as a Pro Bowl in 4/5 seasons. I’m not saying it’s likely but if he plays another 5-6 years and makes 9-10 Pro Bowls, there’s a chance.
D_H

Post by D_H »

No
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Barr is not a HOF! Blind Homer Syndrome is in full effect here.

Maybe he can be a HOF alternate like his Pro Bowl appearances.

Give me these guys over him any day-

Khalil Mack
Vonn Miller
Luke Kuechly
Bobby Wagner

Barr is not in the same class as these guys.

#MOIST

1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:46 am
beetlebum71 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:15 pm

Sure, but Pro Bowls matter (for some reason).

Barr has been selected as a Pro Bowl in 4/5 seasons. I’m not saying it’s likely but if he plays another 5-6 years and makes 9-10 Pro Bowls, there’s a chance.
First of all, we dont know what Barr looks like the next 5 years. Schematically he is asked to do a lot and that muddies up the stats, but there are indications based on his loyalty and affinity to Zim, things Zim has said how he plans to use him etc, other factors, that he could make more splash type stats. I believe his next 4-5 years will be better than his first.

Secondly, while yes most of us could care less about Pro Bowls and they arent viewed the same as they once were, dont let Rooboobretard talk you into they are meaningless. For God sakes, why do you take that simpleton seriously? Hey, Cousins is the most likely HOF! :lol:

Maybe someone should look up how many players who have made 9 or 10 pro bowls in 80's, 90's or this century and isnt in the Pro Bowl? My guess is aint many. Of course if he makes 4 or 5 more Pro Bowls he will be in the HOF. No brainer.

I think your analysis is pretty spot on, and I wouldnt back off Thielen either. He is a top 5 receiver in the NFL, period. So, its all about how will he be? If its 4-5 more years, then he has a good shot. If he slows down, then not. Elite is rare, and he is elite - how long will he be is the question.

Smith is a lock if he plays at this level another 3-4 years even. He is extremely respected.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Only Smith right now.

Griffin stays the freak that he is and can play well into his 30's and maybe. DE's is 100% about sack totals.

Hunter just needs to stay healthy and interested and he's a lock. But he's gonna make 20 a year for a while. Decent incentive to get out with full health over a yellow sport coat.

Kendricks also has an outside chance with full health. But he like most would need a superbowl to get close.

But I'd bet on all 4 if they were all big contributors to a superbowl this year.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

In a related note, here are the former Vikings eligible for induction this year. Kinda fun to discuss their chances:

Matt Birk
Steve Hutchinson
Randall Cunningham
Donovan McNabb
Herschel Walker
Gary Anderson
Ryan Longwell

- Carl Jung
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:19 am In a related note, here are the former Vikings eligible for induction this year. Kinda fun to discuss their chances:

Matt Birk
Steve Hutchinson
Randall Cunningham
Donovan McNabb
Herschel Walker
Gary Anderson
Ryan Longwell
Birk and Hitchinson should get in eventually. Probably hutch before birk. The interior line is a tough place to get Hall cred though.

Randall should already be in.
Donavans on the cusp of maybe, maybe never.

Herschel is more infamous in the NFL than famous. That should hell him eventually.

Former Viking greats Ryan Longwell and Gary Anderson should both eventually make it. Anderson before Longwell.

I really only see Randall as a possibility this year, but i also have no clue what the numbers look like for any of these guys.
Slava Ukrijina 💙💛🇺🇦💙💛
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Tony Bongwater wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:55 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:19 am In a related note, here are the former Vikings eligible for induction this year. Kinda fun to discuss their chances:

Matt Birk
Steve Hutchinson
Randall Cunningham
Donovan McNabb
Herschel Walker
Gary Anderson
Ryan Longwell
Birk and Hitchinson should get in eventually. Probably hutch before birk. The interior line is a tough place to get Hall cred though.

Herschel is more infamous in the NFL than famous. That should hell him eventually.

Former Viking greats Ryan Longwell and Gary Anderson should both eventually make it. Anderson before Longwell.

I really only see Randall as a possibility this year, but i also have no clue what the numbers look like for any of these guys.
Hutch will get in.
Birk might.
Cunningham probably will eventually.
McNabb won’t
Walker won’t.
Anderson might
Longwell won’t.

- Carl Jung
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Xavier had a chance if he could put together two-three more seasons of 2017 Rhodes but doesn't seem like he will.

Smith is probably "Hall of very very good" just because he's not flashy.

Hunter has the best chance if he can stay on his total sack pace or even improve it. Him entering the league young will help.

Diggs is already 5 years in the league and only has one 1,000 yard season. Very unlikely.

Thielen is 29 but if he can put up 4-5 more seasons of what he did in 2018, he might have a chance.

And believe it or not....if Kirk can win a Super Bowl and have a few more 4,000/30 seasons, he might even get in the discussion.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Oscar wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:23 am Barr is not a HOF! Blind Homer Syndrome is in full effect here.

Maybe he can be a HOF alternate like his Pro Bowl appearances.

Give me these guys over him any day-

Khalil Mack
Vonn Miller
Luke Kuechly
Bobby Wagner

Barr is not in the same class as these guys.

#MOIST

Two of the very best pass rushers of this era and two of the best MLB's of this era, not exactly an indictment on Barr to rather have those guys lol.

Those guys also play different positions than Barr. Nice try though.

I'm not saying Barr is a lock. But Pro Bowls matter towards Hall of Fame, do some research. He's currently on track in that aspect.

9-10 Pro Bowls will get him in, in all likelihood. Again, not saying that 9-10 Pro Bowls is going to happen for Barr, but if it does, he's going to be in contention.
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

Matt Birk
Steve Hutchinson
Randall Cunningham
Donovan McNabb
Herschel Walker
Gary Anderson
Ryan Longwell

Other than Matt Birk, if any of these guys did make it they would never enter the hall as a Viking.
"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations." - Joe Biden, July 2021
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Why Not Us wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:36 pm

Matt Birk
Steve Hutchinson
Randall Cunningham
Donovan McNabb
Herschel Walker
Gary Anderson
Ryan Longwell

Other than Matt Birk, if any of these guys did make it they would never enter the hall as a Viking.
It’s not baseball. Players don’t “go in” as anything other than themselves. The teams they played for go on their plaque. In baseball, they wear a team’s cap on their bust. So they are said to “go in” as a member of whatever team is on their cap. Sometimes it’s a tough decision and a good and heated debate. Football doesn’t have that.

But if they did, you could argue Hutch would be a vike as well.

- Carl Jung
hategreenticemase

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:04 am

Matt Birk
Steve Hutchinson
Randall Cunningham
Donovan McNabb
Herschel Walker
Gary Anderson
Ryan Longwell

Hutch will get in.
Birk might.
McNabb won’t
Walker won’t.
Anderson might
Longwell won’t.
Cunningham? Are you being serious? If he got in they should shut the fucker down. Christ, he didn't even have 30k pass yards and was 56% completion and 81 career rating. :lol:

If it's "Pro football HOF" a case would be made for Herschel and you include his USFL stats.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:29 pm

Hutch will get in.
Birk might.
McNabb won’t
Walker won’t.
Anderson might
Longwell won’t.
Cunningham? Are you being serious? If he got in they should shut the fucker down. Christ, he didn't even have 30k pass yards and was 56% completion and 81 career rating. :lol:

If it's "Pro football HOF" a case would be made for Herschel and you include his USFL stats.
I can buy that for Hershel. Incidentally, if you add other pro leagues in, Warren Moon is an all-time great.

For Cunningham, he was a unique talent. He wasn’t the first running quarterback (Fran). But he was a trailblazer and ahead of his time. He captivated a generation of football fans and helped change the game. I think an argument can be made for him. Despite the underwhelming stats.

- Carl Jung
hategreenticemase

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Hutch will get in.
Birk might.
McNabb won’t
Walker won’t.
Anderson might
Longwell won’t.

I can buy that for Hershel. Incidentally, if you add other pro leagues in, Warren Moon is an all-time great.

For Cunningham, he was a unique talent. He wasn’t the first running quarterback (Fran). But he was a trailblazer and ahead of his time. He captivated a generation of football fans and helped change the game. I think an argument can be made for him. Despite the underwhelming stats.
Ah yeah, don't see how any argument can be made for Cunningham. He only started double digit games in 7 seasons and "underwhelming" stats is an under statement. Dude, 56%!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:49 pm

Ah yeah, don't see how any argument can be made for Cunningham. He only started double digit games in 7 seasons and "underwhelming" stats is an under statement. Dude, 56%!
4x All-Pro, ~5000 rushing yards and 35 rushing TDs, led his team in rushing 4 years straight, as a QB. More TDs, yards, and fewer interceptions than HoFer Troy Aikman and never had a player the caliber of Emmitt Smith or Michael Irving on the field with him until he came to Minnesota as an old man (and then he set records and led the league in passer rating and won a bunch of awards).

I think he’s a unique case and deserves a look beyond his raw passing stats. He was one of the most exciting players of his generation and an absolute icon in his younger days. “Did you see what Cunningham did yesterday?” was something that was said frequently. I think that kind of stuff matters, or at least, should matter.

- Carl Jung
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:17 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:49 pm

4x All-Pro, ~5000 rushing yards and 35 rushing TDs, led his team in rushing 4 years straight, as a QB. More TDs, yards, and fewer interceptions than HoFer Troy Aikman and never had a player the caliber of Emmitt Smith or Michael Irving on the field with him until he came to Minnesota as an old man (and then he set records and led the league in passer rating and won a bunch of awards).

I think he’s a unique case and deserves a look beyond his raw passing stats. He was one of the most exciting players of his generation and an absolute icon in his younger days. “Did you see what Cunningham did yesterday?” was something that was said frequently. I think that kind of stuff matters, or at least, should matter.
Spot on.
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

Matt Birk
Steve Hutchinson
Randall Cunningham
Donovan McNabb
Herschel Walker
Gary Anderson
Ryan Longwell
Matt Blair - 6 straight pro bowls
Joey Browner - 6 straight pro bowls 3x All Pro

I think Browner might have a chance since they voted Kenny easly in.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Thielen, the same.

Anyone else? Thoughts?

HOLY SHIT :lol:
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
hategreenticemase

JPM wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:03 pm

Thielen, the same.

Anyone else? Thoughts?

HOLY SHIT :lol:
To this day he thinks Demry Croft is a good QB. Does that help explain? :lol:
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Smith will get in for sure.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.