Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Rhodes

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
hategreenticemase

Rhodes

Post by hategreenticemase »

I will preface this by saying I'm a big Rhodes guy, and it was good to see him play well Sunday. But seriously, have we ever had a bigger wussy here? As God is my witness, I think this guy has come off the field "hurt" more times than anyone in purple history.

I would bet my house he has come off the field 40 plus times. It's almost comical.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Re: Rhodes

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

Clearly he hasn't won enough retiree softball trophies that would qualify him as a tough guy.
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

Good corner. Good attitude. Most overrated Viking I've ever seen.

There are people on this board who claim he's the best cornerback this team has ever had.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

I think a few years ago a few dopes here were desperate to say the Vikes had themselves a shut down corner. Rhoades has been up and down, in and out, and overall has been an above average playa. Glad he's on our team!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

The Flying Sendejo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:06 pm Good corner. Good attitude. Most overrated Viking I've ever seen.

There are people on this board who claim he's the best cornerback this team has ever had.
He was arguably the best CB in the NFL in 2017. Unfortunately the consistency wasn't there in 2018 and if 2019 is any indication he will be like you said a good cb, not an elite one. Was hoping for an elite shutdown corner last year and this year. Just not in the cards. Let's hope he doesn't get injured for a long period of time.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Rhodes is a good corner who found a really good run of form in 2017.

He seems to get nicked up a lot, and I think that affects his play.

He's the type of player the Rubes love to rip on, but the first guy we'd miss dearly if/when he gets hurt and has to miss a game or more.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Dude is a stud. Legit #1 corner and as close to a shut down guy as there is in the modern nfl.

Solid b the run too.

We’d miss him if he were gone.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

He doesnt give up too many big plays, but when he does, he's sure to act injured.
Offsides 97 defense

PurpleHaze wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:13 pm
The Flying Sendejo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:06 pm Good corner. Good attitude. Most overrated Viking I've ever seen.

He was arguably the best CB in the NFL in 2017. Unfortunately the consistency wasn't there in 2018 and if 2019 is any indication he will be like you said a good cb, not an elite one. Was hoping for an elite shutdown corner last year and this year. Just not in the cards. Let's hope he doesn't get injured for a long period of time.
He was not the best corner in the NFL in 2017 and never has been. I'm happy to have him. Long, athletic, fast corner who occasionally plays well.

Too often injured, gets beat by receivers he has no business being beaten by, and a sub-par tackler.

Like I said, good player, overrated and certainly not elite.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
Offsides 97 defense

I guarantee you at some point this Sunday he checks out against Green Bay.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
hategreenticemase

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:44 pm Clearly he hasn't won enough retiree softball trophies that would qualify him as a tough guy.
You are one of the strangest mofo's I have encountered. Is Clark taking over Cunningham's spot for you? That was neither applicable, mildly relatable or remotely funny. Other than that, great post.
hategreenticemase

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 pm Dude is a stud. Legit #1 corner and as close to a shut down guy as there is in the modern nfl.

Solid b the run too.

We’d miss him if he were gone.
No question. Like I said, I love his game. But he is hilarious with his bitchness.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:10 pm
Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:44 pm Clearly he hasn't won enough retiree softball trophies that would qualify him as a tough guy.
You are one of the strangest mofo's I have encountered. Is Clark taking over Cunningham's spot for you? That was neither applicable, mildly relatable or remotely funny. Other than that, great post.
Should I have someone else explain it to you, so you can then respond to me without actually engaging me or nah?
hategreenticemase

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:46 pm
Should I have someone else explain it to you, so you can then respond to me without actually engaging me or nah?
I finally figured out why you are on Cunningham night and day like white on rice. It actually makes sense. You ain't real good at this and it's your way of staying in the shallow end. I now agree with you that this is the right strategy for you.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:10 pm
Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:46 pm

I finally figured out why you are on Cunningham night and day like white on rice. It actually makes sense. You ain't real good at this and it's your way of staying in the shallow end. I now agree with you that this is the right strategy for you.
Lemme ask rube tube, he'll respond for me shortly.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

he Is a very talented player and really anchors the defense in many ways but it’s gotten to the point where you keep thinking in the back of your mind which play is he going to suddenly get injured.
In Kwesi we trust.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Anyone who was around for the late 90's - mid 2000's Vikings where we were trotting out Surwanga, Eric Kelly, Ramos McDonald, Corey Fuller, Chris Dishman, etc. should thank their lucky stars for the situation we're in.
Offsides 97 defense

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:01 pm Anyone who was around for the late 90's - mid 2000's Vikings where we were trotting out Surwanga, Eric Kelly, Ramos McDonald, Corey Fuller, Chris Dishman, etc. should thank their lucky stars for the situation we're in.
I would take Winfield all day over Rhodes.

Came to play, hardest hitting CB I've ever seen, and I don't remember him limping off the field every other game.

Matter of fact, I'll take that whole 2005 defense over this one. That includes Sharper, Chavous, Brain Williams, EJ, and that front four.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

The Flying Sendejo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:12 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:01 pm Anyone who was around for the late 90's - mid 2000's Vikings where we were trotting out Surwanga, Eric Kelly, Ramos McDonald, Corey Fuller, Chris Dishman, etc. should thank their lucky stars for the situation we're in.

Came to play, hardest hitting CB I've ever seen, and I don't remember him limping off the field every other game.

Matter of fact, I'll take that whole 2005 defense over this one. That includes Sharper, Brain Williams, EJ, and that front four.
Winfield was class.

I was pretty much talking about the line of CB's that came through here before him, though.

I'd take the 2019 defense over the 2005 every day of the week. Erasmus James and Darrion Scott were your starters that year on the edge, and the defense ranked 19th in total defense.
Offsides 97 defense

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:16 pm

Matter of fact, I'll take that whole 2005 defense over this one. That includes Sharper, Brain Williams, EJ, and that front four.
Winfield was class.

I was pretty much talking about the line of CB's that came through here before him, though.

I'd take the 2019 defense over the 2005 every day of the week. Erasmus James and Darrion Scott were your starters that year on the edge, and the defense ranked 19th in total defense.
You are correct, Allen didn't come till 08 (I believe). I'd still take that defense and especially AW over any corner we've ever had.

I don't get the fascination for Rhodes. I'll try again Sunday to see what stands out I guess.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
salamander

Post by salamander »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:41 pm I will preface this by saying I'm a big Rhodes guy, and it was good to see him play well Sunday. But seriously, have we ever had a bigger wussy here? As God is my witness, I think this guy has come off the field "hurt" more times than anyone in purple history.

I would bet my house he has come off the field 40 plus times. It's almost comical.
Gaborik
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

The Flying Sendejo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:20 pm

Winfield was class.

You are correct, Allen didn't come till 08 (I believe). I'd still take that defense and especially AW over any corner we've ever had.

I don't get the fascination for Rhodes. I'll try again Sunday to see what stands out I guess.
Rhodes in 2017 was pretty superior to any year of Winfield IMO in terms of coverage. Winfield has always been superior as a tackler.

To each his own, though. Winfield was fucking good.
Offsides 97 defense

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:16 amRhodes in 2017 was pretty superior to any year of Winfield IMO in terms of coverage. Winfield has always been superior as a tackler.

I don't see it.

Winfield wasn't bad in coverage.

Winfield was the superior tackler.

Winfield played special teams.

Winfield didn't limp off every other game.

Comparing the best years between both (statistically)

Rhodes 2016

5 interceptions
14 games played
1 forced fumbles
52 tackles/44 solo
11 passes defended

Winfield 2008

2 interceptions
16 games played
4 forced fumbles
2 Sacks
95 tackles/81 solo
11 passes defended

The career totals when it comes to turnovers/sacks/tackles/assists/ are not even close. Winfield had 27 interceptions in his career spanning 14 years. Rhodes has ten in now his eighth year. Think he'll make it to 14 to catch him?

I think part of this is Rhodes looks like a corner, Winfield did not...and had trouble with taller elite receivers. But I can't hold this against Winfield because I see this "elite" corner of ours Rhodes get routinely smoked by bums.

I'm not trying to change your mind, I just don't understand how Rhodes can be considered "the best corner we've ever had" when the evidence suggest otherwise.

And God knows what Zimmer could have done with Antoine. The man would have been perfect in his D.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

Matter of fact, I'll take that whole 2005 defense over this one. That includes Sharper, Chavous, Brain Williams, EJ, and that front four.
this
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:16 am
The Flying Sendejo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:20 pm

Winfield was class.

Rhodes in 2017 was pretty superior to any year of Winfield IMO in terms of coverage. Winfield has always been superior as a tackler.

Was just going to say this.

Rhodes all day over Winfield when it comes to coverage.

Winfield was a great tackler and run stopper. He wasn't a shutdown CB. Rhodes is the better CB.

Waynes style of play is more comparable to Winfield. He's obviously not as good.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

And there is no way the 2005 defense was as good as this. Lol.

When they got Jared Allen and had the Williams wall, I would take that Dline over this one but the linebackers and secondary were not remotely as good or deep as what we have now.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Offsides 97 defense

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:56 amWas just going to say this.

Winfield was a great tackler and run stopper. He wasn't a shutdown CB. Rhodes is the better CB.

Waynes style of play is more comparable to Winfield. He's obviously not as good.

Rhodes is a "shutdown corner?"
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

The Flying Sendejo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:45 am

Yes.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Winfield is better than Rhodes.

Winfield had to play in that BS Cover 2 defense we had to watch. Rhodes gets a lot of help from Smith when they roll a ton of double coverage against top WR’s.

Winfield was already developed when he came over from the Bills. Who was their CB Whisper?

#MOIST

:lol: :lol: 8-)
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
hategreenticemase

The Flying Sendejo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:45 am

Do you watch the games? :lol:

P.S. if you are wondering when your argument went off the rails, it's when talking about 2005 D being better than 2019. Good God.