Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Rhodes

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Beef Supreme

Re: Rhodes

Post by Beef Supreme »

I loved Winfield, but the idea that he was comparable to Rhodes as a cover man is preposterous. Look at what Rhodes has done to elite WRs in his career. Winfield never gave us that.

Winfield was definitely better in run support and you can argue that his durability and class make him better overall if you want (I wouldn’t, but it’s a legit take), but saying he compared in coverage is asinine.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

That 2005 defense sucked ass too.

I’d take Kevin Williams over Shemar Stephen and probably Winfield over Waynes (not 100% sure on that one either).

Sharper was good, but I’m taking Smith over him at FS. If I can take Sharper over Harris, I’ll do that. I like EJ Henderson too, but give me Kendricks. If I can put EJ over Gedeon, I’ll do that.

Otherwise, the 2019 defense is leaps and bounds better. It has way better depth. Stephen Weatherly is better than any end on that team and backups like Alexander and Kearse would start for the 2005 team.

- Isaac Asimov
Housedealer21

Post by Housedealer21 »

The Flying Sendejo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:12 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:01 pm Anyone who was around for the late 90's - mid 2000's Vikings where we were trotting out Surwanga, Eric Kelly, Ramos McDonald, Corey Fuller, Chris Dishman, etc. should thank their lucky stars for the situation we're in.
I would take Winfield all day over Rhodes.

Came to play, hardest hitting CB I've ever seen, and I don't remember him limping off the field every other game.

Matter of fact, I'll take that whole 2005 defense over this one. That includes Sharper, Chavous, Brain Williams, EJ, and that front four.
The 2019 Vikings D would be better at every single level than the '05 D. Not sure why you would want to have a D that ranked in the bottom half of the league versus a truly elite top-5 D.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:19 am That 2005 defense sucked ass too.

I’d take Kevin Williams over Shemar Stephen and probably Winfield over Waynes (not 100% sure on that one either).

Sharper was good, but I’m taking Smith over him at FS. If I can take Sharper over Harris, I’ll do that. I like EJ Henderson too, but give me Kendricks. If I can put EJ over Gedeon, I’ll do that.

Otherwise, the 2019 defense is leaps and bounds better. It has way better depth. Stephen Weatherly is better than any end on that team and backups like Alexander and Kearse would start for the 2005 team.
It's, of course, laughable to even compare the two defenses. What the hell was the 05 even rated? I'd be surprised if it was top 10.

Your contrast of Winfield and Rhodes is good, albeit Winfield was a good cover guy also, just not a shutdown guy to Shadow opponents stud with. Here is best way for me to describe it - Winfield better at every single corner aspect except the one that matters the most - shutdown ability. Rhodes is elite at that. Winfield with 6 more inches would have been unbelievable. He was an elite tackler and playmaker - great Blitzer at times.
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:48 am
The Flying Sendejo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:45 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:56 amWas just going to say this.

Rhodes all day over Winfield when it comes to coverage.

Winfield was a great tackler and run stopper. He wasn't a shutdown CB. Rhodes is the better CB.

Waynes style of play is more comparable to Winfield. He's obviously not as good.

Rhodes is a "shutdown corner?"
Do you watch the games? :lol:

P.S. if you are wondering when your argument went off the rails, it's when talking about 2005 D being better than 2019. Good God.

If you scroll up a bit, you'd see I did correct myself on that take. The 08 defense was ridiculous. I'd take that one in a heartbeat. In 08 they were 6th overall and number 1 against the run. Averaging 76.9 yards a game.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

The Flying Sendejo wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:57 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:48 am
The Flying Sendejo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:45 am

Rhodes is a "shutdown corner?"
Do you watch the games? :lol:

P.S. if you are wondering when your argument went off the rails, it's when talking about 2005 D being better than 2019. Good God.

If you scroll up a bit, you'd see I did correct myself on that take. The 08 defense was ridiculous. I'd take that one in a heartbeat. In 08 they were 6th overall and number 1 against the run. Averaging 76.9 yards a game.
I am not taking the 08 defense over this one either.

I definitely give you the Dline that year.

Your CB #2 was Cedric Griffin and no depth.

The starting LBs that year was Greenway and Leber.

No way.

That Dline was absolutely ridiculous though.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 pm Dude is a stud. Legit #1 corner and as close to a shut down guy as there is in the modern nfl.

Solid b the run too.

We’d miss him if he were gone.
......and he plays hurt.
hategreenticemase

witljon wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:51 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 pm Dude is a stud. Legit #1 corner and as close to a shut down guy as there is in the modern nfl.

Solid b the run too.

We’d miss him if he were gone.
......and he plays hurt.

Well played. :lol:
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

He's great against big wideouts like Julio, Odell etc.

Struggles badly with little fast guys like Edelman and Diggs.

All about match ups but he's great. Imagine if we had him and Winfield together with Harry in the back. Best in Vikings history for sure.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:41 am He's great against big wideouts like Julio, Odell etc.

Struggles badly with little fast guys like Edelman and Diggs.

All about match ups but he's great. Imagine if we had him and Winfield together with Harry in the back. Best in Vikings history for sure.
When has Rhodes struggled against Edelman? I don't think they even matched up last year when the two teams played. Rhodes doesn't get matched up with slot WRs.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:12 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:01 pm Anyone who was around for the late 90's - mid 2000's Vikings where we were trotting out Surwanga, Eric Kelly, Ramos McDonald, Corey Fuller, Chris Dishman, etc. should thank their lucky stars for the situation we're in.
I would take Winfield all day over Rhodes.

Came to play, hardest hitting CB I've ever seen, and I don't remember him limping off the field every other game.

Matter of fact, I'll take that whole 2005 defense over this one. That includes Sharper, Chavous, Brain Williams, EJ, and that front four.
:lol:
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

When a player reaches the caliber of Rhodes, the fans suddenly judge them far harsher where only perfect, flawless play is tolerated despite the fact that the entire format of the rules of the NFL making the job of a cornerback virtually impossible on a consistent basis.

Let's say we got exactly the same production that Rhodes gave us in 2018 but from a 3rd round rookie. We'd all be beside ourselves with happiness.

If we didn't have Rhodes, we'd be in trouble.
Offsides 97 defense

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:59 pm When a player reaches the caliber of Rhodes, the fans suddenly judge them far harsher where only perfect, flawless play is tolerated despite the fact that the entire format of the rules of the NFL making the job of a cornerback virtually impossible on a consistent basis.

Let's say we got exactly the same production that Rhodes gave us in 2018 but from a 3rd round rookie. We'd all be beside ourselves with happiness.

To clarify again, I like Rhodes and happy that he's ours. He's a good player and one of the better corners in the league. My argument is the claim he's the best corner in the league or that he's on Jaylen Ramsey or Patrick Peterson's level. He is not. Those two are elite. I never see them routinely beat by third Wr's or get banged up like Rhodes does.

My opinion is that Winfield was the better corner. I stand behind that. Didn't have all the intangibles Rhodes does, but the man was dynamite in the run game, and played pretty well in coverage.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
Dude

Post by Dude »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:32 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:59 pm When a player reaches the caliber of Rhodes, the fans suddenly judge them far harsher where only perfect, flawless play is tolerated despite the fact that the entire format of the rules of the NFL making the job of a cornerback virtually impossible on a consistent basis.

To clarify again, I like Rhodes and happy that he's ours. He's a good player and one of the better corners in the league. My argument is the claim he's the best corner in the league or that he's on Jaylen Ramsey or Patrick Peterson's level. He is not. Those two are elite. I never see them routinely beat by third Wr's or get banged up like Rhodes does.

My opinion is that Winfield was the better corner. I stand behind that. Didn't have all the intangibles Rhodes does, but the man was dynamite in the run game, and played pretty well in coverage.
I'm not going to argue over which one is better, but Winfield and Rhodes played essentially two different positions.

Winfield was fine as a cover corner but he was an elite slot corner, especially blitzing and against the run.

Rhodes is an elite cover corner on par with Ramsey and Peterson when he's healthy, but the health issue has been huge for him. You're right, Ramsey and Peterson are more complete cornerbacks than Rhodes is, but when it comes to shutting down top end receivers, Rhodes is definitely in that conversation.

Either way, I'd rather have Rhodes on this team than not.
Offsides 97 defense

Dude wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:39 pm

I'm not going to argue over which one is better, but Winfield and Rhodes played essentially two different positions.

Winfield was fine as a cover corner but he was an elite slot corner, especially blitzing and against the run.

Rhodes is an elite cover corner on par with Ramsey and Peterson when he's healthy, but the health issue has been huge for him. You're right, Ramsey and Peterson are more complete cornerbacks than Rhodes is, but when it comes to shutting down top end receivers, Rhodes is definitely in that conversation.

Either way, I'd rather have Rhodes on this team than not.
I agree on the two different positions take. You could argue that. A lot of it can do with schematics. Sherman would claim he's the best corner in the game, and played cover 3. Which isn't the same as what Peterson does. Peterson is always on the number 1.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I mean, if you're being fair, you'd have to mention the long list of elite WR1's across the league that Rhodes has shut down over the years as well.

Overall, through, I don't have a problem with anything you're saying. The Winfield thing especially, that's your argument with someone else.
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:41 pm I will preface this by saying I'm a big Rhodes guy, and it was good to see him play well Sunday. But seriously, have we ever had a bigger wussy here? As God is my witness, I think this guy has come off the field "hurt" more times than anyone in purple history.

I would bet my house he has come off the field 40 plus times. It's almost comical.
He limps off these days every time a WR catches a pass on him for a 1st down.
"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations." - Joe Biden, July 2021
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:45 pm

I mean, if you're being fair, you'd have to mention the long list of elite WR1's across the league that Rhodes has shut down over the years as well.

Overall, through, I don't have a problem with anything you're saying. The Winfield thing especially, that's your argument with someone else.
In 2017, Rhodes was the best CB in the NFL. He shut down everybody.

I think he was not consistent in 2018 and the injuries he has has been ridiculous to tell you the truth. Just tackle the guy instead of going for the big (often cheap) hit. But, Rhodes is still a dominant cornerback.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Rhodes is ELITE, folks!

With that said, we can't afford him limping off this Sunday for any plays.

#HOIST
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Why Not Us wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:39 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:41 pm I will preface this by saying I'm a big Rhodes guy, and it was good to see him play well Sunday. But seriously, have we ever had a bigger wussy here? As God is my witness, I think this guy has come off the field "hurt" more times than anyone in purple history.

I would bet my house he has come off the field 40 plus times. It's almost comical.
He limps off these days every time a WR catches a pass on him for a 1st down.
He is a great player, but he is beyond comical in this dept. It's absurd. Last year Zimmer was pretty funny mocking him for it.
hategreenticemase

Good God, is he serious???? :lol:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.twinci ... ality/amp/

Vikngs cornerback Xavier Rhodes is healthy now. He obviously hopes that remains the case, but if not, he might not try to play through injuries the way he did last season.

Rhodes missed two games in 2018 while having foot and groin issues and also was hampered during the season by hamstring and hip problems. He said it was unwise playing at times when he was injured.

“I was out there and I hurt my team by being out there,’’ Rhodes said in an interview with the Pioneer Press. “(This season), if I can play through (an injury), yeah. If I can’t, no. I’m not going to force myself to go out there. … I need to better understand my body and better understand the injury.

“We had depth last year (in the secondary), but it was the fact that it was my mentality, I just didn’t want to be out. I didn’t want to sit out. This year I have to realize that, if I’m hurt, if I can’t go, I have to accept that instead of just fighting through an injury.’’

Rhodes made the Pro Bowl in 2016 and 2017 and also was named All-Pro in 2017. Last season, in the first year that a five-year, $70 million contract extension kicked in, he received no postseason honors.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said in March at the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix that Rhodes needed to “play up to his contract” and have better technique. Zimmer regularly has spoken well of Rhodes’ play since the start of spring drills.

Rhodes, whose Vikings play Sunday at Green Bay, said injuries were the reason his play declined last season.

Rhodes was listed on the injury report eight of the 16 weeks during the 2018 season. He missed seven practices and was limited in seven others.

“The main concern about me is staying healthy,’’ said Rhodes, who had the 12th-best rating among cornerbacks by Pro Football Focus in the first week of the regular season. “Last year, as you can see, I was in and out of the game. There were two games I didn’t play. I battled multiple injuries. You can’t play the same way if you’re hurt. It’s impossible.

“Name one player that can play the same exact way when they’re hurt. They’re either going to be slower or they’re limited in some things. No team is going to have pity on me if I’m hurt. They’re going to take advantage of it, they’re going to try to expose it, so I need to understand that and not expose my team.’’

Rhodes, in his seventh season, said he has had plenty of conversations with team officials over the years about injuries. He admits he has been stubborn at times about wanting to play when hurt.

“That was always a battle,’’ said Rhodes, 29. “I always knew that, but I just never accepted it. The point is just accepting the fact that I just couldn’t go.’’

Related Articles
Vikings-Packers rivalry is always special because it’s ‘truly a border battle’
Vikings sign LB Devante Downs off practice squad, waive CB Mark Fields
The Loop Fantasy Football Update Week 2: What can Brown do for Patriots?
Jace Frederick: ‘Life is good’ for 92-year-old Vikings icon Bud Grant
Vikings’ Dalvin Cook including the guys ‘in the trenches’ in his TD celebrations
Now, Rhodes vows to have a better handle on the situation.

“You’re going to have nicks and bruises that are going to bother you throughout the whole season,’’ Rhodes said. “You’ve just got to fight through that and you have to know your body, if your body is going to allow you to play through that. If not, you have to tell yourself mentally, can I fight through that? If I can’t and I still put myself out there, not only am I harming myself, but more than anything I’m harming my team because I’m not at least 60 or 70 percent. So you have to understand that mentality that I can’t go.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:07 am I loved Winfield, but the idea that he was comparable to Rhodes as a cover man is preposterous. Look at what Rhodes has done to elite WRs in his career. Winfield never gave us that.

Winfield was definitely better in run support and you can argue that his durability and class make him better overall if you want (I wouldn’t, but it’s a legit take), but saying he compared in coverage is asinine.
Exactly. He was a great tackler but in our cover 2 he made so many tackles because teams basically completed passes at will in front of him.
In Kwesi we trust.
Offsides 97 defense

Can somebody tell me after watching this game what they find elite about Rhodes? Burnt repeatedly, several missed tackles, completely dominated.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
hategreenticemase

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:19 pm Can somebody tell me after watching this game what they find elite about Rhodes? Burnt repeatedly, several missed tackles, completely dominated.
GB had 191 passing yards. "Totally dominated". Do you even watch the games? :lol:

Rhodes didn't have a good game and at times struggled, but not sure how you watch the game and conclude Rhodes was the big issue. :lol:
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:21 pm
Offsides 97 defense wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:19 pm Can somebody tell me after watching this game what they find elite about Rhodes? Burnt repeatedly, several missed tackles, completely dominated.
GB had 191 passing yards. "Totally dominated". Do you even watch the games? :lol:

Rhodes didn't have a good game and at times struggled, but not sure how you watch the game and conclude Rhodes was the big issue. :lol:
Turned the ball over 3 times. Missed a FG and an XP, but blame the defense when they only gave up 21 points?

- Isaac Asimov
Offsides 97 defense

He was personally dominated and sucked at tackling time. Two times looked like he wasn't even trying. Gave up two huge third downs.

Let's just keep an active log rolling.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

Davante got the best of him today. He let Adams run wide open at the end of the game to seal it for the Pack.

He almost always gets beat on crossing routes.

Since 2017 (30+ games) he only has 3 INTs. I am a Xavier fan but that doesn’t exactly scream shutdown CB.
hategreenticemase

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:31 pm

Turned the ball over 3 times. Missed a FG and an XP, but blame the defense when they only gave up 21 points?
Exactly. Its hilarious. :lol:

How many dummies here would have said "You can have Rodgers only throw for 191 yards at home" and not taken that win to the bank? I know I would have.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Without Rhodes Minnesota's defense is worse. He had a rough start but cleaned things up later in the game.
hategreenticemase

Herky wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:01 pm Without Rhodes Minnesota's defense is worse. He had a rough start but cleaned things up later in the game.
Lets remember we played the game without two of our top 4 corners. Tell me they get 191 passing on a day we dont have any depth at all, and I say "sign me up". Defense had almost NOTHING to do with losing this game. In fact, it gave the O every fucking opportunity to win, you know, like all the games vs good teams down stretch last year. Its fucking nauseating.