Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

How Do We Get #84 Retired?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

How Do We Get #84 Retired?

Post by Decker23 »

I'm going to start making T-Shirts and selling them when tailgating. Are there any other good ideas? I've reached out to numerous journalists on Twitter, and I've only been able to have a discussion with Doogie. He said the Vikings are done retiring numbers... I don't think he knows for sure though.

WHY THE FUCK IS #84 NOT RETIRED!!!????
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
AaronVikes

Re: How Do We Get #84 Retired?

Post by AaronVikes »

Maybe if you would apologize.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

AaronVikes wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:57 am Maybe if you would apologize.
Yeah................maybe if Moss would apologize to the giant money man he pissed off?

I say we retire 28 and give 28 million to abused children.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I don’t think Irv Smith has earned it yet, frankly.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:07 am I don’t think Irv Smith has earned it yet, frankly.
Just...............................give it a quarter or two.

He's gonna be a beast.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Decker23 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:56 am I'm going to start making T-Shirts and selling them when tailgating. Are there any other good ideas? I've reached out to numerous journalists on Twitter, and I've only been able to have a discussion with Doogie. He said the Vikings are done retiring numbers... I don't think he knows for sure though.

keep up the good work. the vikings are burying a big part of their history when they don't acknowledge #84.
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

Can't keep retiring numbers. It was kind of a stupid concept to begin with because after a while you're going to run out of numbers. Do we want football players in the 100s someday?
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:10 am
Decker23 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:56 am I'm going to start making T-Shirts and selling them when tailgating. Are there any other good ideas? I've reached out to numerous journalists on Twitter, and I've only been able to have a discussion with Doogie. He said the Vikings are done retiring numbers... I don't think he knows for sure though.

keep up the good work. the vikings are burying a big part of their history when they don't acknowledge #84.
Come on now. How many superbowls with Moss?

Look, I love the guy and as a player he is probably 2nd to Randle as an all time talent. But let's face it. He pissed off a lot of money on his way out. He is by all accounts a great guy now. Does a lot of stuff for kids on his own dime. But ...............money. Until that old money dies or he goes the mile to make it right it's not going to be a priority for the team. We win the superbowl this year it happens immediately. Short of that it's him making it right or it doesn't happen. But do you really think Moss cares? Moss 100% knows he's the best WR that ever played. Everyone knows it. Everyone. He goes to the hall of fame with 100% as a Viking.

Wilf's didn't have him but I'd bet a bunch he ends up wit a job with this team eventually.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Night Train wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:18 am Can't keep retiring numbers. It was kind of a stupid concept to begin with because after a while you're going to run out of numbers. Do we want football players in the 100s someday?
No one should ever have 93 or 84 if you go by just freaky talent. No one ever won a superbowl so I don't see why any number would be retired. Ring of honor numbers is different. But you just don't give 93 or 10 or 84 to some scrub. Make it an extra obligation. Motherfucker you wear 84. We gonna need more from you! Let's see it! Then bring Moss in to practice to say "hey 84. What's up."
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

Night Train wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:18 am Can't keep retiring numbers. It was kind of a stupid concept to begin with because after a while you're going to run out of numbers. Do we want football players in the 100s someday?
I hate this excuse. Are we really worried about having 100 Randy Moss like players that we're going to run out of numbers? Give me a break. Ridiculous. Best WR to ever play the game and #84 is not retired? FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!!
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I think we should move to irrational numbers.

- Carl Jung
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Thrillkill wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:10 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:07 am I don’t think Irv Smith has earned it yet, frankly.
Just...............................give it a quarter or two.

He's gonna be a beast.
Aundrea Allison had a catch or two though!

- Carl Jung
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:38 am I think we should move to irrational numbers.
:lol:

Is 1 superbowl an irrational number?

Has been mu whole life. My favorite thing as a Vikes fan is at least I wasn't alive for the KC loss.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Thrillkill wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:40 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:38 am I think we should move to irrational numbers.
:lol:

Is 1 superbowl an irrational number?

Has been mu whole life. My favorite thing as a Vikes fan is at least I wasn't alive for the KC loss.
It is for this franchise, apparently! :lol:

- Carl Jung
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Decker23 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:36 am
I hate this excuse. Are we really worried about having 100 Randy Moss like players that we're going to run out of numbers? Give me a break. Ridiculous. Best WR to ever play the game and #84 is not retired? FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!!
It's not an excuse, it's a fact of life. Sure, Moss was great, so were a lot of other great Vikings that never got us a championship... gonna retire them all? Just ring of honor him and let his career speak for itself. Why hide his number on the field?

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Cooper

Post by Cooper »

The best ever if you ignore the fact that Jerry Rice existed.
Teh DMB

Post by Teh DMB »

Can they even fit 3 numbers on a jersey?
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Thrillkill wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:29 am
No one should ever have 93 or 84 if you go by just freaky talent. No one ever won a superbowl so I don't see why any number would be retired. Ring of honor numbers is different. But you just don't give 93 or 10 or 84 to some scrub. Make it an extra obligation. Motherfucker you wear 84. We gonna need more from you! Let's see it! Then bring Moss in to practice to say "hey 84. What's up."
Agreed. Retire 22 and 28 while they are at it.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

Night Train wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:02 pm
It's not an excuse, it's a fact of life. Sure, Moss was great, so were a lot of other great Vikings that never got us a championship... gonna retire them all? Just ring of honor him and let his career speak for itself. Why hide his number on the field?
Randy is arguably the best WR ever. His number needs to be retired. There were a ton of great players for the Vikes, but Randy is Minnesota. If CC's #80 is retired, #84 should be right next to it. Everyone wants this.

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

Teh DMB wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:51 pm Can they even fit 3 numbers on a jersey?
Sounds like a good problem to have.

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Decker23 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:30 pm

Randy is arguably the best WR ever. His number needs to be retired. There were a ton of great players for the Vikes, but Randy is Minnesota. If CC's #80 is retired, #84 should be right next to it. Everyone wants this.
I love Moss as much as the next guy, but his best year was with another team. He represents an era in MN, but he's not MN. No numbers should be retired. Ring of fame and NFL HOF should be enough. To say 'you can't wear this number ever' is stupid, I don't care who it is.

Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

Night Train wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:37 pm

I love Moss as much as the next guy, but his best year was with another team. He represents an era in MN, but he's not MN. No numbers should be retired. Ring of fame and NFL HOF should be enough. To say 'you can't wear this number ever' is stupid, I don't care who it is.
Wow. So the Chicago Bulls should just let Kris Dunn wear #23?

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Decker23 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:49 pm

Yes, no ones going to forget Jordan existed because someone else dare wear his number.

Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

Night Train wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:59 pm
Decker23 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:49 pm

Yes, no ones going to forget Jordan existed because someone else dare wear his number.
I like you. But, you should be banned for saying that.

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

Retiring numbers, at one point which was cool, has now become stupid at the point Joe Mauer's number was retired just a few short months after his retirement.
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

Face The Facts wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:35 pm Retiring numbers, at one point which was cool, has now become stupid at the point Joe Mauer's number was retired just a few short months after his retirement.
Having your number retired is the greatest personal accomplishment of your life. Randy deserves it.

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
Florida Guy

Post by Florida Guy »

Isn’t he in the Ring of Honor? I don’t live in MN so I’m not totally sure. As for retiring numbers, you can’t really do it. There’s only so many numbers certain positions can wear.
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

Florida Guy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:34 pm

Isn’t he in the Ring of Honor? I don’t live in MN so I’m not totally sure. As for retiring numbers, you can’t really do it. There’s only so many numbers certain positions can wear.
If there are only so many numbers a position can wear, why don't the Vikings simply retire his number, then publicly say that they are done doing that?

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
Teh DMB

Post by Teh DMB »

You 2 effing Dtwothree?
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Doesn't deserve to be retired.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.