Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Anyone else think this will be an average defense at best?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Face The Facts

Anyone else think this will be an average defense at best?

Post by Face The Facts »

I'm not high on the Vikings this year. I'm concerned that our defense won't be top 15 this year. Too many signs of aging last year.
If this isn't a top 15 defense, this won't be a great team unless Cousins does something no one is expecting.

Anyone else agree or are most people pretty optimstic?
I'm thinking 7-9 / 8-8.
Ash Ketchum

Re: Anyone else think this will be an average defense at best?

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Defensive regression is certainly possible.

Rhodes, Smith, Griffen and Joseph could all regress (again) this year and we wouldn't be shocked based on last year.

CB depth and interior DL are question marks as well.

That thing that gives me comfort is that I think Zimmer is very good at coaching defense. I read he hasn't had a team finish in the bottom half of the league defensively in a very long time, and our defense has been together for a while.
Dude

Post by Dude »

They need to be better against the run. They've got a good pass defense, but I don't have much confidence in their run D.

Linval needs to be better, and the LBs need to play better. If that's the case, they'll return to form. If not, they could very well struggle.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Slightly above average. Still a ton of talent but they're not getting younger. If Rhodes is toast, the Vikings will find out soon and will need to get Hughes going with Waynes and Alexander. Barr/Kendricks/Smith/Hunter/Joseph still a ton of talent.

Team will be 7-9 or 8-8 though if the offense doesn't improve.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
salamander

Post by salamander »

I thought they regressed last year and still ended up being top 5. I can't believe they'd drop another 10 spots.
They'll be a top 10 offense at minimum.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

They won't be number one but they won't be average either. An older Griffen isn't worse than Weatherly. Hunter will be Hunter. Linval's age might be an issue. I'm not worried about the corners any more than I worried last year. I think they will be as good as last year - which was a down year.

I am worried about the playcalling against premier offensive playcallers. Like I was last year.

I think this team can be anywhere between 7-9 and 10-6.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

I'm concerned Rhodes starts the season slow, seems like that's his norm lately.

Julio, then Del Monte Adams.
Fortune Tellers Make a Killing Nowadays
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Yep, I was wrong. Looking at game stats, Rhodes starts out ok, unless you count the Rams game last year.

Nevermind.
Fortune Tellers Make a Killing Nowadays
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

I am not worried one BIT about the defense. I am being told by one of the greatest football minds on this forum that it was just a down year last season for the defense!

#MOIST

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Oscar wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:57 pm I am not worried one BIT about the defense. I am being told by one of the greatest football minds on this forum that it was just a down year last season for the defense!

#MOIST

The Vikings had a down year and STILL were top 10. How did you're almighty packers fare last year? :lol: :lol:
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
mancini199

Post by mancini199 »

I can see em regressing a bit, not to 15th though...top 10 still
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Oscar wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:57 pm I am not worried one BIT about the defense. I am being told by one of the greatest football minds on this forum that it was just a down year last season for the defense!

#MOIST

Again it was preseason, but the other QB’S made them look foolish. I watched Wilson from Seattle throw downfield darts for wide open 20 yard pickups. It looked way to familiar to me.

Hoping they turn it on when it counts.

SKOL VIKES!! :thumbsup:
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

jodaman01 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:28 pm

#MOIST

Again it was preseason, but the other QB’S made them look foolish. I watched Wilson from Seattle throw downfield darts for wide open 20 yard pickups. It looked way to familiar to me.

Hoping they turn it on when it counts.

SKOL VIKES!! :thumbsup:
If you were a Lions fan would you be incredibly optimistic because they went 4-0? Like you said before preseason means nothing.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Just like Oscar at a gay bar in Wisconsin, DP!!!!
Simpson Get Lifted wrote

Oscar on the Vikes:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Said it before. They are going to need more exotic looks. This defense has become stale. You can no longer just rush the front four. It's time for Zimmer to "Coach it up"

I have also said that I will take a top 10 defense that creates a lot of turnovers over a top 5 defense that doesn't.

This defense hasn't created a lot the last couple years. In 2016, we started unbelievable in that category. That was back when Zimmer was sending nasty looks. I feel like the deal was so solid in 17 that he got conservative. It's time to bring back that wild man Zimmer defense like when he first got here.

I say this defense will be rated #8 when all said and done.

Offense will be #6.

#Hoist

#Balanced

#NoFear
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

I think so much of this defense relies on Rhodes having a bounce back year. Unfortunately now that you can review pass interference, I think Rhodes will become a victim numerous times, as he is a physical corner
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Facetheboredom is back? Just what this place needs, with the "look at me, look at me" non stop peacock strutting bullshit from the village idiot, some down home vanilla from FTB will be very appreciated! Welcome back!
hategreenticemase

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:43 pm Slightly above average. Still a ton of talent but they're not getting younger. If Rhodes is toast, the Vikings will find out soon and will need to get Hughes going with Waynes and Alexander. Barr/Kendricks/Smith/Hunter/Joseph still a ton of talent.

Rhodes toast? Get real.

I think this defense will be damn good like it is every year, however, how "right" ol HGTM is DIRECTLY to how our OL and Kirk Cousins performs. IF we can run the ball, Cousins will be WAY better than last year. If thats the case, this D will be VERY good. Book it.

If its the same OL bullshit or only slight improvement, then it may regress to slightly above avg as you stated. Everyone keeps forgetting, against the good teams down the stretch, our D was GREAT until late in those games and it was entirely due to poor Offense and way way too many 5 play or less drives. They were flat out spent in Seattle, NE, Chi games....
Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:28 am
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:43 pm Slightly above average. Still a ton of talent but they're not getting younger. If Rhodes is toast, the Vikings will find out soon and will need to get Hughes going with Waynes and Alexander. Barr/Kendricks/Smith/Hunter/Joseph still a ton of talent.

Rhodes toast? Get real.

I think this defense will be damn good like it is every year, however, how "right" ol HGTM is DIRECTLY to how our OL and Kirk Cousins performs. IF we can run the ball, Cousins will be WAY better than last year. If thats the case, this D will be VERY good. Book it.

If its the same OL bullshit or only slight improvement, then it may regress to slightly above avg as you stated. Everyone keeps forgetting, against the good teams down the stretch, our D was GREAT until late in those games and it was entirely due to poor Offense and way way too many 5 play or less drives. They were flat out spent in Seattle, NE, Chi games....
I hope you are right regarding the offense being much better for the defense.

We lost Richardson in the center of our line, and I worry about whether C Griffin still is a high level DE. Was more confident in our CB play about 17 regular season games ago.

Seems like teams now have plans for Zimmer's schemes.

Hope I'm wrong and you are right.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Rhodes faces-

Week 1: Julio
Week 2: Adams
Week 3: AB

Rhodes open!

#MOIST

1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

Oscar wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:47 am Rhodes faces-

Rhodes open!

#MOIST

Instead of "Rhodes Closed" he shall be called Autobahn.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

PurpleHaze wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:31 pm

#MOIST

The Vikings had a down year and STILL were top 10. How did you're almighty packers fare last year? :lol: :lol:
We already know you pull out a Sharpie and write Super Bowl Champions on the Vikings schedule every year!

#MOIST

hategreenticemase

Face The Facts wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:46 am

Rhodes toast? Get real.

I hope you are right regarding the offense being much better for the defense.

We lost Richardson in the center of our line, and I worry about whether C Griffin still is a high level DE. Was more confident in our CB play about 17 regular season games ago.

Seems like teams now have plans for Zimmer's schemes.

Hope I'm wrong and you are right.
You are forgetting that the "seems like teams now have plans for Zimmer's schemes" applied to early last year (and post season the year prior). He got outcoached and badly. To his credit, he has since admitted he needed to simplify some things and adjust, and once he did that, the D was back to what it typically had been, albeit, without EG being a dominant force, it wasnt quite as great as they have been. That said, it was damn good down the stretch.

The offense is almost entirely the reason this team missed the playoffs - the Seattle, NE and both Bears game I was losing my mind as the D was playing great, and kept getting thrown out on the field and not given any sort of break. All frustrating games that were very winnable.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Rhodes toast? Get real.

I thought the defense was fine last year. I have concerns about Rhodes and Griffen going into this season, that's all. They looked like they lost a step or two last year, hope that isn't the case.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Fans of the Vikings have gotten really comfortable with the fact that the defense features a glut of Pro Bowl quality talent. We've forgotten, rather quickly, that most of the league doesn't have the type of personnel that we do. Even if a guy or two craps the bed, the Vikings have no excuse for not being a Top 5 defense.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:35 am

Rhodes toast? Get real.

I thought the defense was fine last year. I have concerns about Rhodes and Griffen going into this season, that's all. They looked like they lost a step or two last year, hope that isn't the case.
Rhodes looked pretty bad in the preseason. Not sure that matters, but he was not good. I think Griffin is going to be more of a rotational guy this year. He lost a step after his foot injury in the London game in 2017.

I've said numerous times in here that the defense will take another step back this year. The loss of Richardson will hurt. Our key players are starting the decline. They will still be top 10 IMO, but I don't see them as an elite defense anymore. Joseph and Griffin have one foot out the door.

I just hope that the OLine is effective enough to control TOP with a more balanced rushing attack. If that happens, they should keep the aging players fresh enough to play at a higher level.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

I thought the defense was good once the exploitation of Barr was curbed. Speedy receivers were carving him up like a Thanksgiving turkey!

If we can control the time of possession we will be fine. Last season we were ranked #24 for time of possession. No defense can overcome that! We were at 29:10, compared to 32:07 the season before. You cannot be on the negative side with our type of team and win games. We have to control the ball early and keep the defense off the field. Once they wear down we are toast.

It is a little scary that Stefanski actually struggled even more than DeFillippo did with ball control. Last three games we were below the season average at 28:13, but the Bears game we were 22:52. That is HORRIBLE!

Defensive teams are based upon ball control offense. If we go three and out early like we did last season we are screwed.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Oscar wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:53 am
PurpleHaze wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:31 pm

#MOIST

We already know you pull out a Sharpie and write Super Bowl Champions on the Vikings schedule every year!

#MOIST

As per usual you're wrong like always. How does it truly feel to be always wrong? No joke, I'm serious.

What made you hate the Vikings so much and made you want to troll Vikings fans going on however many decades now?
Simpson Get Lifted wrote

Oscar on the Vikes:
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Oscar wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:47 am Rhodes faces-

Rhodes open!

#MOIST

Let's revisit this one in 3 weeks packerboy.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote

Oscar on the Vikes: