Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Players Holding Out

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
beetlebum71

Players Holding Out

Post by beetlebum71 »

Why are fans so quick to turn on a player who holds out for a better contract, but hardly ever treat front offices the same when they cit a guy halfway through his deal. It seems like fans expect players to honor their contract regardless of how unfair it may be, but don't hold owners and GMs to the same standard.

Why would people choose to pocket protect for billionaire owners, but not millionaire players?
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Re: Players Holding Out

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

beetlebum71 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:29 pm Why are fans so quick to turn on a player who holds out for a better contract, but hardly ever treat front offices the same when they cit a guy halfway through his deal. It seems like fans expect players to honor their contract regardless of how unfair it may be, but don't hold owners and GMs to the same standard.

Why would people choose to pocket protect for billionaire owners, but not millionaire players?
The story of America is people siding with management over labor. And individuals can decide for themselves whether that’s good, bad, or irrelevant. But it’s mostly true.
Dude

Post by Dude »

It pisses me off because of fantasy football. FIGURE IT OUT MELVIN!
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I will continue to say it, the runningbacks got absolutely screwed when the rookie scale salaries were introduced. The system had to get fixed because the Sam Bradford's of the world were paid too much before doing anything but rbs have such a short shelf life. I don't know the system and legalities enough to know what the right fix is but I never fault a rb like Bell or Ingram or Elliot who wants that money now. Maybe a fix is shorter rookie contracts but for more money and if a player hits certain escalators the salary gets bumped up automatically. I don't know... either way, I do not fault the players at all. Is it annoying as a fan? Sure, but these guys have performed well, their teams should compensate them or trade them.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:55 pm I will continue to say it, the runningbacks got absolutely screwed when the rookie scale salaries were introduced. The system had to get fixed because the Sam Bradford's of the world were paid too much before doing anything but rbs have such a short shelf life. I don't know the system and legalities enough to know what the right fix is but I never fault a rb like Bell or Ingram or Elliot who wants that money now. Maybe a fix is shorter rookie contracts but for more money and if a player hits certain escalators the salary gets bumped up automatically. I don't know... either way, I do not fault the players at all. Is it annoying as a fan? Sure, but these guys have performed well, their teams should compensate them or trade them.
Specific to Zeke is the fact that he might decide to smack his bitch up again and get suspended for a year. He had better make his paper now before she puts the dishes back in the cupboard wrong, again.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

beetlebum71 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:32 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:55 pm I will continue to say it, the runningbacks got absolutely screwed when the rookie scale salaries were introduced. The system had to get fixed because the Sam Bradford's of the world were paid too much before doing anything but rbs have such a short shelf life. I don't know the system and legalities enough to know what the right fix is but I never fault a rb like Bell or Ingram or Elliot who wants that money now. Maybe a fix is shorter rookie contracts but for more money and if a player hits certain escalators the salary gets bumped up automatically. I don't know... either way, I do not fault the players at all. Is it annoying as a fan? Sure, but these guys have performed well, their teams should compensate them or trade them.
Specific to Zeke is the fact that he might decide to smack his bitch up again and get suspended for a year. He had better make his paper now before she puts the dishes back in the cupboard wrong, again.
Spousal abuse is so funny!
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Straight Edge Raven

Post by Straight Edge Raven »

You signed a contract. If you're under a contract you should honor it. If the team wants to work with you on a new one great. If not....honor what you agreed to.
Slava Ukraini
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
Dude

Post by Dude »

Straight Edge Raven wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:42 pm You signed a contract. If you're under a contract you should honor it. If the team wants to work with you on a new one great. If not....honor what you agreed to.
This would hold water if owners were held to the same standard.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

beetlebum71 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:29 pm Why are fans so quick to turn on a player who holds out for a better contract, but hardly ever treat front offices the same when they cit a guy halfway through his deal. It seems like fans expect players to honor their contract regardless of how unfair it may be, but don't hold owners and GMs to the same standard.

In the real world, I would typically side 90/10 with labor versus management. In the sports world, it's probably closer to 60/40. Specifically speaking about football, I have no problem with a player asking for a raise, if they've clearly out-performed their current deal. What I don't understand, though, is when a player is clearly delusional in their demands. In regards to Melvin Gordon, I believe the Chargers (without knowing the EXACT details--none of us know that) are offering him a NEW contract that is more than fair! He's a very nice RB. But he's not the guy that should be re-setting the bar. This whole "re-setting" the pay scale is a large part of the problem. Specifically speaking of Melvin Gordon, he should be making top 5 to 10 RB money--not Gurley money. Shame on him if he's going to be an idiot. To be honest, this may simply be a ploy for him to get out of training camp. He may have every intention of signing a re-worked deal before the start of the season. We'll see...
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

A lot of the blame lies with the body of the Players Union. There are a helluva lot more guys that make up roster spots 11-53 than the guys who make up the top 10--and take up the lion's share of the cap. The players, as a whole, are going to get their 55% (or whatever the percentage is) of the total NFL revenue pie. They need to do a better job amongst themselves of distributing said money. Maybe they need their OWN positional salary cap where a QB can only make...say...15% of the salary cap versus the 20+% some are now making. In my opinion, it's really the salary leap-frogging of average to below-average quarterbacks (the Staffords, Carrs, Cousins, etc... of the NFL world) that really hurt the market for the vast majority of good NFL players.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Straight Edge Raven wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:42 pm You signed a contract. If you're under a contract you should honor it. If the team wants to work with you on a new one great. If not....honor what you agreed to.
Why aren’t teams held to that standard in football?
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

I think the fourth year of a rookie should be a player option.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

B-Town wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:35 pm
beetlebum71 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:32 pm
Spousal abuse is so funny!
Fuck off , whiner. I was ripping Zeke, not making light of his actions.
salamander

Post by salamander »

This is weird to me as well (depending on the circumstances).

I think it all boils down to fans feeling like the team is "us" therefor they're holding out on "us".
(not my belief, just what I think the thought process is.)
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Straight Edge Raven

Post by Straight Edge Raven »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:04 pm
??? That's the contract the players association has with the teams. Contracts should absolutely be guaranteed.
Slava Ukraini
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Straight Edge Raven wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:34 pm
??? That's the contract the players association has with the teams. Contracts should absolutely be guaranteed.
So we agree then. But owners certainly don’t. No way they want to have to stick to contracts they agree to.
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

Do we ever see a player giving money back cuz they underperformed a contract?player is under contract he should be held accountable to play it out .
Dude

Post by Dude »

Phrooster wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:13 pm Do we ever see a player giving money back cuz they underperformed a contract?player is under contract he should be held accountable to play it out .
Both parties should be bound by the contract then.

If a team can sign a player for 5 years but cut him after 2 when they underperform, then players should be able to leverage a strong season towards a new contract.

How is this even a debate?
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Phrooster wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:13 pm Do we ever see a player giving money back cuz they underperformed a contract?player is under contract he should be held accountable to play it out .
Teams cut players when they underperform. Like, do you pay attention to the NFL?
mancini199

Post by mancini199 »

Dude wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:47 pm
i think this is an unfair way to look at it...Player knows when he signs a NFL that they can be released..Thats what their guaranteed money is for...Players would be smarter to take a smaller overall total and worry only bout whats guaranteed
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

mancini199 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:21 pm
i think this is an unfair way to look at it...Player knows when he signs a NFL that they can be released..Thats what their guaranteed money is for...Players would be smarter to take a smaller overall total and worry only bout whats guaranteed
So let me get this straight...you're ok with a system where the upside is all on the owners side? If they sign a player and he overperforms his contract, fuck you, you signed the contract. If the player underperforms the contract, owners/executives are going to release that player and anything not guaranteed in said contract is not being paid to the player. You can totally have that opinion, I just want to make sure that's what you're saying.
Silversword

Post by Silversword »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:08 pm

So we agree then. But owners certainly don’t. No way they want to have to stick to contracts they agree to.
Owners would be willing to guarantee contracts, but that would mean much smaller contracts and players aren't willing to make that sacrifice. This is NOT on the owners - it's just a reality of the sport.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Silversword wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:49 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:08 pm

Owners would be willing to guarantee contracts, but that would mean much smaller contracts and players aren't willing to make that sacrifice. This is NOT on the owners - it's just a reality of the sport.
Where have you EVER seen this said? Is this real? Or just your thought? Because you might not be wrong, but I've never read or heard an owner say anything of the sort.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Then players should be able to hold out if they feel they've out performed their contract.
mancini199

Post by mancini199 »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:49 pm

So let me get this straight...you're ok with a system where the upside is all on the owners side? If they sign a player and he overperforms his contract, fuck you, you signed the contract. If the player underperforms the contract, owners/executives are going to release that player and anything not guaranteed in said contract is not being paid to the player. You can totally have that opinion, I just want to make sure that's what you're saying.
somewhat I am...Players sign big time contracts with all sorts of phony money in them to bloat the total number...Knowing all along theirs a good chance of never seeing all of it....right or wrong the player signed knowing all of that....kind of hard to side with someone who to change the deal after its made..
mancini199

Post by mancini199 »

Dude wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:12 pm

Then players should be able to hold out if they feel they've out performed their contract.
and they do
Dude

Post by Dude »

mancini199 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:31 pm
Dude wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:12 pm

and they do
You might want to take a few steps back and see the post I responded to. I'm not sure what you're arguing now.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

I don't really have a problem with is given their career can literally end in one play. Running backs are certain fucked over in a hilarious way.

However, I hate it when the player jumps on social media and acts like an cock bag about it all. Running down his team/teammates, posting pictures of himself jet skiing while his teammates are in the middle of a game, posting pictures about being on vacation with a rapper mid-season, and asking for a trade/release via Twitter/social media.

Basically, I'm pointing at Le'veon Bell. The dude fucked over his teammates for months by playing his stupid games. Shit like that I find obnoxious and stupid and makes me hate the player.

I have no problem what players like Trent Williams and Gordon are doing. They're not jumping on Twitter and talking shit or being dickheads about it. If you're going to do it, be a fucking man about it and either tell the team what's going on or have your agent do it instead of acting like an immature child.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Because much of a NFL contract is not guaranteed. IF the NFL had guarnteed contracts like othe sports, the face value of the contracts would drop significantly because of the injury risk.

But, all of this is meaningless because everyone knows that the real value of a NFL contract is in the guaranteed money at signing and other guarantees throughout hte contract. NFL players push up the present value of the contract with signing bonus because they understand the nature of the risks in their contracts.

The NFL CBA even puts value on this by allowing the cap figures of a signing bonus to be amortized over the course of the contract.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

mlhouse wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:15 pm
Because much of a NFL contract is not guaranteed. IF the NFL had guarnteed contracts like othe sports, the face value of the contracts would drop significantly because of the injury risk.

But, all of this is meaningless because everyone knows that the real value of a NFL contract is in the guaranteed money at signing and other guarantees throughout hte contract. NFL players push up the present value of the contract with signing bonus because they understand the nature of the risks in their contracts.

The NFL CBA even puts value on this by allowing the cap figures of a signing bonus to be amortized over the course of the contract.
Well because all of what you stated, don't be shocked when a player holds out. And you don't have to like it, or dislike it. But it's gonna happen.