Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

1st unofficial depth chart: Chad Beebe is #3 WR (ahead of Treadwell)

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
mlhouse

Re: 1st unofficial depth chart: Chad Beebe is #3 WR (ahead of Treadwell)

Post by mlhouse »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:06 pm
mlhouse wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:18 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:55 am

As always, you seem to be missing my point. My whole comment way back at the beginning, was specifically regarding Cutting actually winning the job. If he doesn't, then that whole draft process you felt the need to bring up (and spend your own time pulling back quotes that you wrote for some reason) is overthinking of the process towards a position that isn't that important in the grand scheme of things and for a prospect who obviously wasn't that good.
Again, hypothetical scenario. All of what you said is voided if he doesn't actually doesn't win the job.

Regarding the late round picks, you're again missing my point. I get it and for the most part I'm okay with it; I was never saying from a strategy standpoint that it was wrong, so again don't need the lecture about the whys.
But when they acquired this 5th rd pick in one of the 3rd rd trade downs, they sent out one of their 6th rd picks, so they obviously wanted to be in this 5th rd range and not just stockpile more 6th/7th rd picks.
There was great value in the 5th rd, but I don't think they got it. For whatever reason the Day 3 LB market was diminished, and there was some higher rated prospects like Cashman, Mack Wilson, Vosean Joseph, Ben Burr-Kirven, Justin Hollins. Mack Wilson specifically could have gone Day 2 and nobody would have batted an eye, but because he may only be a 2 down MLB, he got devalued. But he's a very good 2 down MLB and with him we could have him as base MLB and use Kendricks as WLB, which is a stronger unit than using Gedeon as base.

That's well worth an extra 7th rd pick when we've already traded down multiple times already. But instead we seemed to get the last LB of the run, who doesn't seem to have near the ceiling that some taken closely before do, and who is just going to take a job from someone good already on the roster like Brothers or Downs. Someone can be okay with a trade down strategy while at the same time comment on a missed opportunity.

And again, this convo doesn't have to be about LBs because there were many other good positions on the board. Are you really saying you wouldn't have given up an extra pick to move up for Amani Oruwariye considering you took him in the Froob mock with a first round pick?
1. If Cutting doesnt win the job then a 7th round draft pick was lost. Big deal.
2. Again, obviously the Vikings FO thought differently than you on the 5th round pick. SOmetimes these guys are wrong and you are right, but that is just the way it was. I personally do not see much difference in the LBs you are mentioning and Cameron Smith. The only LB of that group I would take over Smith was Cashman.
3. With Oruariye I am not sure why he fell so far. Sometimes the NFL scouts have information that is not available to the general public. And although I "scout" these players, scouting a DB with the tools available to an amateur is a lot harder to do because so much of the play isn't visible. I don;t have access to all-22 video so on DBs and WRs I am not as confident about.
And now that I think about, wasn’t it you the day after the draft leading the “I would have traded down in Rd 1” charge while it was all of us saying “they have more access than we do so they must really like Bradbury?”

I’m pretty sure you also said you would pull the trigger on Jawaan Taylor in Rd1 even though no other GM was willing to touch him with fear of the unknown.

Just ironic that it’s now you leading the other side and bowing to their expertise.
I'm not. I said sometimes the "professionals" are right and sometimes you are. The Vikings obviously thought differently than you. YOu could be 100% right. That is exactly what I said. I mostly disagree with you. I think Gedeon and WIlson are solid backups that cover lots of roles so they were not that interested in trading up for a LB. I also think that you underrate Smith a bit (but not that much) and overrate the others.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:22 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:06 pm
mlhouse wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:18 pm

1. If Cutting doesnt win the job then a 7th round draft pick was lost. Big deal.
2. Again, obviously the Vikings FO thought differently than you on the 5th round pick. SOmetimes these guys are wrong and you are right, but that is just the way it was. I personally do not see much difference in the LBs you are mentioning and Cameron Smith. The only LB of that group I would take over Smith was Cashman.
3. With Oruariye I am not sure why he fell so far. Sometimes the NFL scouts have information that is not available to the general public. And although I "scout" these players, scouting a DB with the tools available to an amateur is a lot harder to do because so much of the play isn't visible. I don;t have access to all-22 video so on DBs and WRs I am not as confident about.
And now that I think about, wasn’t it you the day after the draft leading the “I would have traded down in Rd 1” charge while it was all of us saying “they have more access than we do so they must really like Bradbury?”

I’m pretty sure you also said you would pull the trigger on Jawaan Taylor in Rd1 even though no other GM was willing to touch him with fear of the unknown.

Just ironic that it’s now you leading the other side and bowing to their expertise.
I'm not. I said sometimes the "professionals" are right and sometimes you are. The Vikings obviously thought differently than you. YOu could be 100% right. That is exactly what I said. I mostly disagree with you. I think Gedeon and WIlson are solid backups that cover lots of roles so they were not that interested in trading up for a LB. I also think that you underrate Smith a bit (but not that much) and overrate the others.
Fair enough.

I too like Gedeon and Wilson and I agree with your takes on them. That’s why I said I wouldn’t have thought to use a 5th rd pick on a LB at all, but considering they decided to I personally would have swung a little higher and tried to get one of the ones that had more potential to start, even if it came with higher bust potential.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:51 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:29 pm Spot on.

Any "scouting" any Rube here is doing is not scouting.

You're watching highlights and a limited amount of game film that is easily available to the average person and doing the best you can to come to a conclusion on those players.

Actual scouts and coaches get to see the players in ways we can't, and that usually makes a huge difference.
1. I do not watch highlights at all. Most "highlights" of college players are from mismatched games.

2. IT is scouting. You can say what you want, but it is still scouting. Pro scouts have better tools and inside information thta they get to weigh.
You can call it scouting (and I'm not sure why you insist that what you do be called "scouting"), but you, me and everyone on here is in the same boat: we watch the content available to us on our computers/devices and we try our best with limited knowledge and resources to come up with the most educated opinions we can.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:07 pm
mlhouse wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:51 pm

You're watching highlights and a limited amount of game film that is easily available to the average person and doing the best you can to come to a conclusion on those players.

Actual scouts and coaches get to see the players in ways we can't, and that usually makes a huge difference.
1. I do not watch highlights at all. Most "highlights" of college players are from mismatched games.

2. IT is scouting. You can say what you want, but it is still scouting. Pro scouts have better tools and inside information thta they get to weigh.
You can call it scouting (and I'm not sure why you insist that what you do be called "scouting"), but you, me and everyone on here is in the same boat: we watch the content available to us on our computers/devices and we try our best with limited knowledge and resources to come up with the most educated opinions we can.
And since what you are watching is sports prospects, it is "scouting".

Like I said, I have been right in a lot of cases were teh "professional" scouts have been wrong. And sometimes I have been wrong.

I don't deny that scouts have insider information: interviews with coaches, observations at practice, all-22 video, injury and background information that we do not have. But that is why some players we expect will go higher in the draft fall.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

fwiw: https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/8/10 ... son-opener

Which Vikings helped and hurt their chances in the preseason opener
Which Vikings helped their chances on Friday night?

Bisi Johnson, WR - With the competition for the Vikings’ #3 wide receiver spot still pretty wide open, the seventh-round pick from Colorado State may have just jumped himself up to the top spot. He had two very nice catches on Friday night, including an 18-yard touchdown catch on a throw by Sean Mannion into very good coverage. He also got an opportunity as a kick returner in this one.

Nate Meadors, CB - I’m not sure what his odds of actually making the roster at this point are, but there’s no scenario where a pick-six is going to go down as a negative, so he pretty clearly helped himself. As we’ve said all offseason, with Mike Hughes’ status up in the air and Holton Hill’s status very well-known, there could be some room at the bottom of the cornerback depth chart in Minnesota, and Meadors is making his case.

Tyler Conklin, TE - Fellow tight end Cole Hikutini has been one of the hot names at Training Camp so far this year, but if the Vikings are going to keep four tight ends, it looked tonight like Conklin is comfortably in the lead for that spot at this point. He led the Vikings in receiving yardage on Friday, despite having just two catches. He averaged 28 yards/reception, and showed some nifty skills after the catch on a screen pass in the second quarter.

The Vikings’ young defensive linemen - With both the Vikings’ starting defensive tackles out of this one, some of the younger players up front got some chances to shine, and both Hercules Mata’afa and Jalyn Holmes did just that. Ifeadi Odenigbo also made the most of his opportunities on Friday night. There are going to be some very, very difficult decisions that have to be made among the defensive linemen on cutdown day, as has been the case the past few years.

Which Vikings hurt their chances on Friday night?

Vikings’ receivers not named Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs, or Bisi Johnson - The rest of the Vikings’ wide receivers weren’t exactly prominent on Friday night. Laquon Treadwell didn’t have any receptions, nor did Chad Beebe or Brandon Zylstra. I don’t have the snap breakdowns in front of me at this point or anything, but no catches from the players that are competing for that third wide receiver spot doesn’t strike me as a good thing.

Ameer Abdullah, RB - A run like the 42-yard burst that Abdullah gave the Vikings on a draw play late in the second quarter will get the attention of the coaching staff. Another thing that will get the attention of the coaching staff is coughing up the football in the red zone. . .completely untouched. The fumble bug has been something that has followed Abdullah throughout his career, and if he doesn’t get it under control, he’s going to be looking for work again.

Bené Benwikere, CB - I know that he’s the new guy, but he definitely didn’t have a great night on Friday. He was flagged for a 20-plus yard pass interference penalty, and was beaten on several other occasions as well. Hopefully, for his sake, it’s just a bit of rust that he’s dealing with.

That’s what I’ve got as far as who helped themselves and who didn’t in the preseason opener. Who were some of the players that impressed you? Who were some of the players you were disappointed by?
salamander

Post by salamander »

While I agree with your assessment 100%, you can find more than just "highlights".

---

Other than that I think everyone debating the scouting point is in general agreement and just arguing over semantics at this point.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

salamander wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:00 pm

While I agree with your assessment 100%, you can find more than just "highlights".

---

Other than that I think everyone debating the scouting point is in general agreement and just arguing over semantics at this point.
Yup that's why the actual quote says "highlights and a limited amount of game film."
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

Ask Not wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:11 pm This feels somewhat official.
Lacks ***

Btw we all know treadwell is a bust...Holton hill is in jail ( read eppstein jail)....our kicking game is likely set for another year of angst....and we “may be” talking butt sweat all season long.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Where was Abdullah tonight? Did he lose his roster spot?

The Blasingame kid looks nice. Probably not gonna keep two FB's though, and Ham has the job. On KFAN they were saying it will be hard to get Blasingame onto the PS.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:36 pm Where was Abdullah tonight? Did he lose his roster spot?

The Blasingame kid looks nice. Probably not gonna keep two FB's though, and Ham has the job. On KFAN they were saying it will be hard to get Blasingame onto the PS.
Abdullah was inactive. Don’t know why.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov