Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Anyone Else Worried About This Season?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
hategreenticemase

Re: Anyone Else Worried About This Season?

Post by hategreenticemase »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:28 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:27 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:15 pm The thing about Cousins is that he tantalized us all with his play early on in the season.

In 6 out of the first 7 weeks (excluding the awful Buffalo game), the offense was averaging 28.5.

It's in there somewhere, but he's got to figure out how to put it together in the clutch and against better competition. Doesn't have to be 400 yard games against the better defenses, but move the chains and score enough points to give us a chance.
Its not even really about points. Obviously, scoring fn points matter, thats not what I am saying. But when you evaluate this team and how its constructed, it is built to win games by controlling the ball and the clock. The D excel's at getting off the field on 3rd down. Mitigate how often you turn the ball over and put other team near our red zone and also how many 5 play or less drives we have on offense, and this D will usually hold other team to less than 20.

We so clearly got beat late in games last year because our excellent D got wore down due to putrid offensive performances. For F sakes, the one Bears game we had 12 fricken first downs. We keep our D fresh, and we will win games late.

All that said, if OL is legitly better AND we can run the ball, this offense wont just be a good ball controlling team, it will be a very good and high scoring offense as well.
Well said.

Remember when we had AP putting up monster seasons, and we just needed the QB to manage the game and make timely throws to keep the chains moving? That's kind of how I think Zimmer wants this offense to run.

It all comes down to the OL being able to consistently pave the way for a good running attack. This would be huge because if Cousins' is asked to throw less -- similar to what Bridgewater and Keenum were asked to do -- I believe he can do that at a very high level.
I get that it's the village idiot and everything, and he is so craves attention that he just wants so badly to be right about something, hell anything, but his "Zim wants 1980s" football is fucking priceless shit. You have to wonder if the retarded monkey even watches the games. He allowed the off to have the 6th most pass attempts in the NFL, but all he wants is "1980s football". :lol:

I agree on the throwing less will actually improve his overall performance. A MASSIVE reason for that will be the guy is just really damn good at 2 things. One, he sells play action well. Not elite, but damn solid at selling it. Two, the guy - when given time - is very accurate downfield. Its why improving the run game won't simply reallocate what percentage of total yards is running vs pass, it will increase overall yards due to our pass game will be explosive as well. People who understand football can figure that out.

I believe an improved running game will lead to more explosive plays, more overall yards gained and more points - in addition to the obvious increased first downs and time of possession.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:04 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:27 pm

Its not even really about points. Obviously, scoring fn points matter, thats not what I am saying. But when you evaluate this team and how its constructed, it is built to win games by controlling the ball and the clock. The D excel's at getting off the field on 3rd down. Mitigate how often you turn the ball over and put other team near our red zone and also how many 5 play or less drives we have on offense, and this D will usually hold other team to less than 20.

We so clearly got beat late in games last year because our excellent D got wore down due to putrid offensive performances. For F sakes, the one Bears game we had 12 fricken first downs. We keep our D fresh, and we will win games late.

All that said, if OL is legitly better AND we can run the ball, this offense wont just be a good ball controlling team, it will be a very good and high scoring offense as well.
Well said.

Remember when we had AP putting up monster seasons, and we just needed the QB to manage the game and make timely throws to keep the chains moving? That's kind of how I think Zimmer wants this offense to run.

It all comes down to the OL being able to consistently pave the way for a good running attack. This would be huge because if Cousins' is asked to throw less -- similar to what Bridgewater and Keenum were asked to do -- I believe he can do that at a very high level.
I get that it's the village idiot and everything, and he is so craves attention that he just wants so badly to be right about something, hell anything, but his "Zim wants 1980s" football is fucking priceless shit. You have to wonder if the retarded monkey even watches the games. He allowed the off to have the 6th most pass attempts in the NFL, but all he wants is "1980s football". :lol:

I agree on the throwing less will actually improve his overall performance. A MASSIVE reason for that will be the guy is just really damn good at 2 things. One, he sells play action well. Not elite, but damn solid at selling it. Two, the guy - when given time - is very accurate downfield. Its why improving the run game won't simply reallocate what percentage of total yards is running vs pass, it will increase overall yards due to our pass game will be explosive as well. People who understand football can figure that out.

I believe an improved running game will lead to more explosive plays, more overall yards gained and more points - in addition to the obvious increased first downs and time of possession.
Gee.. You think having a improved running game from one of the worst last year will help? :P :lol:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:11 pm

Well said.

Gee.. You think having a improved running game from one of the worst last year will help? :P :lol:
It's obvious but so true.

Some of the rushing woes are on Flip, though. He gave up on the run way too early and often in games last year.

I'm hopeful. Bradbury is essentially tailor-made for Kubiak and Dennison's ZBS.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:18 pm

Some of the rushing woes are on Flip, though. He gave up on the run way too early and often in games last year.

You can't blame him for giving up on the running game, it was terrible. The Vikings played the best ball when they opened it up.

They went to GB in week #2 and force fed Cook the ball all game in a absolutely anemic offense against a poor Packers D.

They finally got their head out of the ass in the 4th and lit GB up.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:20 pm

You can't blame him for giving up on the running game, it was terrible. The Vikings played the best ball when they opened it up.

They went to GB in week #2 and force fed Cook the ball all game in a absolutely anemic offense against a poor Packers D.

Oh, don't get me wrong. Ineffectiveness and poor run blocking were definitely a huge part of the lack of run game last season.

But when you refuse to stick with the run game at least early in games, it makes the defense's job so much easier and play-action -- one of Kirk's specialties -- is thrown out the window.

When your line can't hold the point of attack, try other things. Tosses, sweeps, stretch plays, traps, something.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:24 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:20 pm

Oh, don't get me wrong. Ineffectiveness and poor run blocking were definitely a huge part of the lack of run game last season.

But when you refuse to stick with the run game at least early in games, it makes the defense's job so much easier and play-action -- one of Kirk's specialties -- is thrown out the window.

When your line can't hold the point of attack, try other things. Tosses, sweeps, stretch plays, traps, something.
Believe me, I come from the era of wanting to pound the rock. I loved watching AP. It was maddening last year watching them try to run though.

Zimmer seems to have a hard on for grinding games out. You have a offense here that can throttle teams. Use it! This isn't the Bridgewater Vikings with Charles Johnson as your #1.

I agree you need to run the ball but this is a team with their strengths and the league as a whole is to pass to setup the run. Not the other way around for this team.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Ash, you realize that what you are attempting to do is akin to trying to teach politics to a 3rd grader, right? Fucking classic. :lol:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:28 pm

Believe me, I come from the era of wanting to pound the rock. I loved watching AP. It was maddening last year watching them try to run though.

Zimmer seems to have a hard on for grinding games out. You have a offense here that can throttle teams. Use it! This isn't the Bridgewater Vikings with Charles Johnson as your #1.

I agree you need to run the ball but this is a team with their strengths and the league as a whole is to pass to setup the run. Not the other way around for this team.
This is something I pointed out last season: having a defensive head coach means you probably are going to be behind the 8-ball on offense.

Zimmer is wrong on this. The way the rules in the NFL changed (not necessarily the explicit rules, but how htey call penalties), grinding out a running game is idiotic. You only run the ball when the defense gives you the run. WHen you can use the "hug" technique to pass block with impunity passing is much more effective if you are willing to attack the whole field rather than the conservative check downs the Vikings like to run.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:48 pm

This is something I pointed out last season: having a defensive head coach means you probably are going to be behind the 8-ball on offense.

Zimmer is wrong on this. The way the rules in the NFL changed (not necessarily the explicit rules, but how htey call penalties), grinding out a running game is idiotic. You only run the ball when the defense gives you the run. WHen you can use the "hug" technique to pass block with impunity passing is much more effective if you are willing to attack the whole field rather than the conservative check downs the Vikings like to run.
Spot f'n on!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

mlhouse wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:48 pm

Yeah, thats what he does, his main goal is "grind out a running game". You are as bad as the VI. :lol:

I also love the "conservative checkdowns" comment. Yep, that's the plan, run twice and throw a 3 yarder on 3rd down. WTF team did you watch last year? You indeed have seen that at times the last two decades. The checkdowns under Chili were because of running a HS level offense. Under Zim, when TB was qb, it was because a rookie qb was running for his life. Last year we threw the ball downfield a lot, and would have more had we not had atrocious OL play. Yes a lot of checkdowns, surely not by design, but due to a poor pocket presence qb had no time and increasingly became sensitive to getting hit. Its that simple.

Lastly, it wasnt just OL that hindered the run game. It was very poor run scheme and play calling. We went from elite play calling and run game design under Shurmur, to a guy who for whatever reason didnt do well.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:59 am

Yeah, thats what he does, his main goal is "grind out a running game". You are as bad as the VI. :lol:

I also love the "conservative checkdowns" comment. Yep, that's the plan, run twice and throw a 3 yarder on 3rd down. WTF team did you watch last year? You indeed have seen that at times the last two decades. The checkdowns under Chili were because of running a HS level offense. Under Zim, when TB was qb, it was because a rookie qb was running for his life. Last year we threw the ball downfield a lot, and would have more had we not had atrocious OL play. Yes a lot of checkdowns, surely not by design, but due to a poor pocket presence qb had no time and increasingly became sensitive to getting hit. Its that simple.

Lastly, it wasnt just OL that hindered the run game. It was very poor run scheme and play calling. We went from elite play calling and run game design under Shurmur, to a guy who for whatever reason didnt do well.
Dude, Stephan Diggs had multiple games with his YPR under 10. Against the Jets, 8 receptions for 33 yards. Against the Bears, 8 receptions for 47 yards. Against Detroit, 2 receptions for 10 yards.

At the beginning of the year the team did throw the ball down the field more. But as the year progressed the team went into a shell and went back to the conservative, checkdown passing game with 3 yard pass plays usually to receivers who just ran a stop route.

I agree that Cousins was being pressured and you need to react to that pressure. THe problem is the Vikings coaching staff responds to pressure by going into a conservative game plan, EXACTLY what the opponents want you to do. They did little else and their ability to adjust their pass protection was atrocious.

Hopefully we can rectify this situation with a oLine coach who has been there the entire off season and the influx of talent to the line. I am not sure if they did enough, but I think they took a step forward instead of back.
hategreenticemase

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:06 am

Dude, Stephan Diggs had multiple games with his YPR under 10. Against the Jets, 8 receptions for 33 yards. Against the Bears, 8 receptions for 47 yards. Against Detroit, 2 receptions for 10 yards.

At the beginning of the year the team did throw the ball down the field more. But as the year progressed the team went into a shell and went back to the conservative, checkdown passing game with 3 yard pass plays usually to receivers who just ran a stop route.

I agree that Cousins was being pressured and you need to react to that pressure. THe problem is the Vikings coaching staff responds to pressure by going into a conservative game plan, EXACTLY what the opponents want you to do. They did little else and their ability to adjust their pass protection was atrocious.

Hopefully we can rectify this situation with a oLine coach who has been there the entire off season and the influx of talent to the line. I am not sure if they did enough, but I think they took a step forward instead of back.
Your last paragraph is spot on. My thoughts exactly, on each point, also. I fear they didnt do enough, but am choosing optimism that that Dennison and Kubiak make a large impact.

I am not doubting or disagreeing with you on the results. I am simply saying you arent looking big picture. When you cant run and defenses know you cant run, you better have Brady, Brees or Rodgers behind center. When you cant pass block, or as you pointed out, adjusting pass protection is a joke - well, qb's tend to get skitty. Ours definitely did. I truly believe he tired of getting hit or hearing about turnovers so he went way too much into checkdown charlie mode.

My point simply was, Zim is indeed a defensive minded coach. This notion the village idiot is feebly trying to sell that he is some 3 yd and a cloud of dust guy and wants 45 rushes per game is of course, hogwash. Last year going from Shurmur to anyone was a problem - but going to someone who then actually strugged, just fucking killed us. With our OL we had to have very good scheme and play calling. It went all the way down to "poor" and some periodic great play from Cousins and our two stud receivers are the only reason the entire year wasnt a disaster offensively.

I feel a much better plan, and much better run game coming. If we also give him some time, I think we will kill teams in play action. Our receivers are so good at contesting balls, if they get any sort of opening downfield Cousins can now let them make a play. I really think if all I said happens, this offense will be unrecognizable this year.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

I'll add that Cousins IS actually elite with play action. But, good discussion fellas.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:27 am

Your last paragraph is spot on. My thoughts exactly, on each point, also. I fear they didnt do enough, but am choosing optimism that that Dennison and Kubiak make a large impact.

I am not doubting or disagreeing with you on the results. I am simply saying you arent looking big picture. When you cant run and defenses know you cant run, you better have Brady, Brees or Rodgers behind center. When you cant pass block, or as you pointed out, adjusting pass protection is a joke - well, qb's tend to get skitty. Ours definitely did. I truly believe he tired of getting hit or hearing about turnovers so he went way too much into checkdown charlie mode.

My point simply was, Zim is indeed a defensive minded coach. This notion the village idiot is feebly trying to sell that he is some 3 yd and a cloud of dust guy and wants 45 rushes per game is of course, hogwash. Last year going from Shurmur to anyone was a problem - but going to someone who then actually strugged, just fucking killed us. With our OL we had to have very good scheme and play calling. It went all the way down to "poor" and some periodic great play from Cousins and our two stud receivers are the only reason the entire year wasnt a disaster offensively.

I feel a much better plan, and much better run game coming. If we also give him some time, I think we will kill teams in play action. Our receivers are so good at contesting balls, if they get any sort of opening downfield Cousins can now let them make a play. I really think if all I said happens, this offense will be unrecognizable this year.
In the end, this is what happened to the Vikings season.

1. THielen started out hot with 9,987 consecutive games over 100 yards.
2. Other teams defenses decided, fuck that, we are just going to roll our coverage to Thielen and also give Diggs special attention.
3. This coincided with playing some of the tougher defenses.
4. Minnesota's offensive scheme could not compensate for the defensive adjustment.

First 8 games of the season, Thielen had 74 receptions for 825 yards. Last 8 games of the season, Thielen had 39 receptions for 448 yards. Diggs did not have as big of a drop off, but he still had a drop off. First 8 games of hte season: 58 receptions for 587 yards. Second half: 44 receptions for 434 yards.

Our talent in the 2nd half was good enough to beat crappy teams: Packers, Dolphins, Lions. But we had zero chance against Chicago x 2, New England, and Seattle.
hategreenticemase

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:35 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:27 am

In the end, this is what happened to the Vikings season.

1. THielen started out hot with 9,987 consecutive games over 100 yards.
2. Other teams defenses decided, fuck that, we are just going to roll our coverage to Thielen and also give Diggs special attention.
3. This coincided with playing some of the tougher defenses.
4. Minnesota's offensive scheme could not compensate for the defensive adjustment.

First 8 games of the season, Thielen had 74 receptions for 825 yards. Last 8 games of the season, Thielen had 39 receptions for 448 yards. Diggs did not have as big of a drop off, but he still had a drop off. First 8 games of hte season: 58 receptions for 587 yards. Second half: 44 receptions for 434 yards.

Our talent in the 2nd half was good enough to beat crappy teams: Packers, Dolphins, Lions. But we had zero chance against Chicago x 2, New England, and Seattle.
Pretty much exactly what I said. Like I pointed out, when you have no run game and half the time dont even try, its pretty simple to gameplan to take away your elite receivers when you also do not need to blitz to get to the qb.

Good info on the numbers - I didnt realize the drop off was that stark. Proves what both of us were saying. You are also spot on regarding the scheme and lack of adjustment (and as you said earlier, lack of pass protection adjustments) were a MAJOR part of this. All I was disputing in your orig post was the notion that all Zim wants to do is "grind out a running game". That aint what happened nor what he is looking for. Yes, he wants a ball control offense that doesnt turn the ball over, but he isnt some overly conservative coach.

God I hope Kubiak/Stefanski and Dennison are as good as we all hope they are.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:23 pm
Pretty much exactly what I said. Like I pointed out, when you have no run game and half the time dont even try, its pretty simple to gameplan to take away your elite receivers when you also do not need to blitz to get to the qb.

Good info on the numbers - I didnt realize the drop off was that stark. Proves what both of us were saying. You are also spot on regarding the scheme and lack of adjustment (and as you said earlier, lack of pass protection adjustments) were a MAJOR part of this.

God I hope Kubiak/Stefanski and Dennison are as good as we all hope they are.

I am not sure what the Vikings were doing. Claiming they had no run game in 2018 is a bit much given that their 2 top RBs averaged more than 4 yards per carry last season. Latavious Murray averaged 4.1 yards per carry in 2018 versus 3.9 in 2017. Dalvin Cook averaged 4.6 yards per carry versus Jerrick McKinnon's 3.8 in 2017. Cook and Murray combined for 1193 yards versus Murray and McKInnon's 1412 in 2017.

Overall, we rushed for only 1,412 yards in 2018 versus 1,957 yards in 2017 but the YPC in 2018 overall was 4.2 versus 3.9 in 2017.

But then, in 2017 we were a 13-3 team that had the lead in a lot of games and needed to run the clock. In 2018 we simply had to pass the ball more to try to compete. In 2018 we threw the ball 80 more times but had 144 fewer rushing attempts overall versus 2017.

To win in the NFL you have to throw the ball and run enough to keep the opponents off balance. Hopefully, as you state, the new offensive tteam will be ble to strke the right balance.
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

What's there to be worried about? I'm 35 and have never seen the Vikings make it to a Super Bowl, with each crushing defeat I've taken them less seriously as a franchise so basically if they every make it then I'll be shocked rather than pretending it's an expectation. Sit back, enjoy some football and don't let a disappointment at the end of the season ruin your day / week / month / year.
"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations." - Joe Biden, July 2021
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Why Not Us wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:39 pm What's there to be worried about? I'm 35 and have never seen the Vikings make it to a Super Bowl, with each crushing defeat I've taken them less seriously as a franchise so basically if they every make it then I'll be shocked rather than pretending it's an expectation. Sit back, enjoy some football and don't let a disappointment at the end of the season ruin your day / week / month / year.
Good post!

Just think, if you are 43 years old or younger, you have never ever seen the Vikings play in a Super Bowl.

And....no matter your age, you have never ever seen them win one.

But....every year the same bozos tell you this is the year!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Every year has the potential when a team is a competitive team year in and year out. There are few teams that have NO chance entering the year.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Just a down year-

#Vikings coach Mike Zimmer called out his defense today in a press conference, saying they've been complacent and the offense is usually beating them. Asked about the defenders getting the message, he said he hopes they saw the press conference.

#MOIST
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

Oscar wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:55 am Just a down year-

#Vikings coach Mike Zimmer called out his defense today in a press conference, saying they've been complacent and the offense is usually beating them. Asked about the defenders getting the message, he said he hopes they saw the press conference.

#MOIST
That's great news Oscar, thanks for sharing this. The offense is trending up!

#HOIST
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Oscar wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:03 am
Why Not Us wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:39 pm What's there to be worried about? I'm 35 and have never seen the Vikings make it to a Super Bowl, with each crushing defeat I've taken them less seriously as a franchise so basically if they every make it then I'll be shocked rather than pretending it's an expectation. Sit back, enjoy some football and don't let a disappointment at the end of the season ruin your day / week / month / year.
Good post!

Just think, if you are 43 years old or younger, you have never ever seen the Vikings play in a Super Bowl.

And....no matter your age, you have never ever seen them win one.

But....every year the same bozos tell you this is the year!

trolling, trolling, trolling, little Marky trolling...
Bleeds Purple

Post by Bleeds Purple »

The final game of 2018, VS Chicago, is a snapshot of Kirk’s career in a nutshell! A game where he needed to step up and be the MAN! He fell flat on his face and the team followed him. Cousin’s is a mediocre QB at best. He is a QB that needs to have all facets of the offense firing on all cylinders to be successful. He is not, nor never will he be, a QB that can put the team on his and lead them to victory. Until KDC moves into the next level of QBdom, we, the fans of Minnesota Vikings football, are in for some very average football.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Bleeds Purple wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:32 pm The final game of 2018, VS Chicago, is a snapshot of Kirk’s career in a nutshell! A game where he needed to step up and be the MAN! He fell flat on his face and the team followed him. Cousin’s is a mediocre QB at best. He is a QB that needs to have all facets of the offense firing on all cylinders to be successful. He is not, nor never will he be, a QB that can put the team on his and lead them to victory. Until KDC moves into the next level of QBdom, we, the fans of Minnesota Vikings football, are in for some very average football.
100% agree! He just isn’t good enough.

This is the first offseason I can remember where the defense is sounding like they are coming along slow. This could be for two reasons:

1. Kubiak is the best offensive coach we have had here since God know when...

2. Zimmer knows every training camp he bitches about the slow progression of the offense and is trying to play nice.

I lean toward #2, but I am excited to see what Stefanski, Kubiak, and Dennison come up with. Kind of like Kubiak is HC of the offense and Stefanski is his OC.

What could go wrong?
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Bleeds Purple wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:32 pm The final game of 2018, VS Chicago, is a snapshot of Kirk’s career in a nutshell! A game where he needed to step up and be the MAN! He fell flat on his face and the team followed him. Cousin’s is a mediocre QB at best. He is a QB that needs to have all facets of the offense firing on all cylinders to be successful. He is not, nor never will he be, a QB that can put the team on his and lead them to victory. Until KDC moves into the next level of QBdom, we, the fans of Minnesota Vikings football, are in for some very average football.
The Bears game was a snapshot of Zimmer’s career in Minnesota. He never has his team ready to go in big games.

He has one playoff win and it took a miracle for that to happen.

Zimmer is the Marvin Lewis of the NFC. His defense last year gave up the 2nd most points since he has been here. He has never made back to back playoffs.

His defense is full of a bunch of over paid underachievers who are a year older.

But keep blaming Cousins.

cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Oscar wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:39 am
The Bears game was a snapshot of Zimmer’s career in Minnesota. He never has his team ready to go in big games.

He has one playoff win and it took a miracle for that to happen.

Zimmer is the Marvin Lewis of the NFC. His defense last year gave up the 2nd most points since he has been here. He has never made back to back playoffs.

His defense is full of a bunch of over paid underachievers who are a year older.

But keep blaming Cousins.

You are not very consistent except in what you rip the Vikings for. You seem even more desperate this season... feeling a little nervous that the Packers might become the Lions or go back to what they were before Favre?

The defense is fine. You have to have ball control to win with a defensive team. Cousins goes 3 and out too often and it all trickles down from there. You MUST get first downs to control the clock and TOP. All we need a quarterback to do is to get first downs.

And that is why we won more games with Teddy than we did with Bradford or Cousins. Keenum and Gus Ferotte were good at that too at getting first downs and controlling the clock. It is how the 1998 Vikings were beat twice that season. You won’t win many games when your offense is on the sideline. Your defense gets gassed late, you can’t run because you are trailing, and you lose.

We’ll see though. Kubiak understands this and hopefully with Stefanski can create plays and gameplans to counter the stupidity of Cousins. Like when you need 3 yards on 3rd down having him run for it or throw for 4 yards. Don’t look 20 yards down the field and loft it up into no mans land... or worse yet, hold the ball looking way down field and get strip fumbled or sacked.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Who are the NFL's most tortured fan bases right now in 2019?

Man, has a window ever opened so wide and slammed shut so hard as it has for the Vikings? Just 18 months ago, Stefon Diggs was eluding the Saints and bringing salvation to an entire chunk of the country. Now, after a just-barely-over-.500 season and an uncertain future with Kirk Cousins under center, the Vikings are sliding into that also-ran status. Is it better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all? Vikings fans can tell you right about now. Between the still-pretty-new stadium, the SKOL chant, and the afterglow from that Saints Miracle, Vikings fans are still in denial about the real trouble they’re in, like a guy happily ice fishing in July.

https://sports.yahoo.com/who-are-the-nf ... 34347.html
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

#Vikings DT Linval Joseph has yet to fully participate in any of the team's training camp practices this year

#MOIST

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

#Vikings running back Dalvin Cook not in pads tonight. Should be plenty of work for Alexander Mattison.

#Vikings defensive tackle Jalyn Holmes, who left practice early yesterday, not in pads tonight.

#Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph is not in pads for the night practice. He got a "vet day" yesterday at practice.

#Vikings tackle Aviante Collins, who was taken off on a cart at Thursday's practice, is at tonight's workout standing in the end zone. He seems to have escaped serious injury.

#MOIST

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

I can’t believe you bozos aren’t worried yet! Linval Joseph hasn’t practiced yet and the depth at DT is weak.

Two of the first three plays last night Rhodes and Waynes got torched for big plays.

Just must be an off training camp for the defense!

#MOIST