Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Anyone Else Worried About This Season?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Ash Ketchum

Anyone Else Worried About This Season?

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Man, I don’t know what it is, but now that training camp is almost here, I just look at this team and I’m not all that confident in their ability to just put it all together to make a legitimate Super Bowl run.

In 2017, our defense was insane. Two of the top pass rushers in the game flanking a dominant Linval Joseph down low. The best safety in the game. The best corner in the game. Probably the best three-down LB duo in the game.

Now in 2019, some of that shine and luster from that group that took us to the NFCCG is fading. The stars on this defense are starting to creep up in age, and while I’m not saying any of them are washed up, it’s possible and probably likely that we will start to see a decline with some of them.

So, right away, in my eyes, I consider this 2019 defense to be less dominant than the past few seasons, meaning the offense would need to really step up to help carry the team.

Can Kirk do it?

Maybe I’m being too pessimistic, but it feels like we’re depending too much on our veterans to churn out yet another season of truly elite production to have a chance. Any decline out of any of them, and we’re in trouble.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Anyone Else Worried About This Season?

Post by RubeTube »

Da FuQ?!?

This team is poised to #Hoist

The only thing that can derail this train is injuries. Same with most teams in the NFL.

Ash, this is a top 3 most talented team in teh league.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

If Everson doesnt throw a tantrum in a hotel lobby, we might be fine, so long as someone else doesnt do the same thing.
Hector

Post by Hector »

As it stands now the Vikings are going into 2020 30 plus million over the cap so this year is their all in year. I don't think it's enough with their aging defense, unwillingness to rotate players in, dumb contracts (Rudolph's comes to mind) and relying on rookies to fill big roles.

I do think overall they have tons of talent, but some of the horses need rest during blowouts and some of the inexperienced players need reps.. Holmes, Bower, J.Johnson etc.
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

This season no next yes cuz of the cap cituation I think they kick ass and take names later this year :punch:
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

AllDayCrybaby says it was just a down year for the defense. He knows how to scout talent (Ponder) better then anybody!

#moist
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
Dude

Post by Dude »

We're you more confident heading into the 2017 season than you are now? How bout when Bradford got hurt? I certainly wasn't and we all know how that went.

It's a strange league and anything can happen.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:32 am Man, I don’t know what it is, but now that training camp is almost here, I just look at this team and I’m not all that confident in their ability to just put it all together to make a legitimate Super Bowl run.

In 2017, our defense was insane. Two of the top pass rushers in the game flanking a dominant Linval Joseph down low. The best safety in the game. The best corner in the game. Probably the best three-down LB duo in the game.

Now in 2019, some of that shine and luster from that group that took us to the NFCCG is fading. The stars on this defense are starting to creep up in age, and while I’m not saying any of them are washed up, it’s possible and probably likely that we will start to see a decline with some of them.

So, right away, in my eyes, I consider this 2019 defense to be less dominant than the past few seasons, meaning the offense would need to really step up to help carry the team.

Can Kirk do it?

Maybe I’m being too pessimistic, but it feels like we’re depending too much on our veterans to churn out yet another season of truly elite production to have a chance. Any decline out of any of them, and we’re in trouble.
I agree with you on all your concerns. This is a completely different defense from 2 years ago. I hate to break it to some in here. Griffin and Joseph aren't pro bowl level players anymore. Smith and Rhodes also took steps backwards last year. I see this as a top 10-12 defense, but definitely not an elite top 3 defense this season.

Offensively, I just can't get behind this line yet. They could certainly surprise me, but I don't think adding a bottom tier starting RG and a rookie C is going to solve all their problems. I think they'll be better, but that's not difficult to accomplish, with the shit show they had last season. The kid they drafted in the 3rd round is going to be a disaster IMO. It's a downgrade from Murray.

Also, Cousins

9-7 and hope for a WC spot. I think Chicago dominates the division this season.
BlackDog

Post by BlackDog »

I think they will be competitive for a playoff spot, but I don’t believe they will make a deep playoff run for 3 reasons:

1) Lack of depth - The Vikings will need their starters to stay healthy and the offense is in the worst position. I think only TE has some depth on offense. Every other position is question marks and below average depth. Thielen and Diggs go down and you have nobody. Cook goes down and they are in trouble. Defensively it’s better, but it’s showing cracks for depth.

2) Defensive Line - This is the biggest concern for the defense. Both Joesph and Griffin need to rebound from last season or this defense will get roasted by the lack of a good pass rush.

3) Cousins - He is what he is. He needs to step up, especially come the playoff stretch or this signing is a massive bust.
“Your boos mean nothing to me, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Of course! It's the fucking Vikings.

This year we find out beyond any doubt that Cousins is the farthest thing from a gamer and an all-numbers pansy that can't win at a high level. It'll go down as one of the worst moves in franchise history.

Hope I'm wrong!
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

too focused on the twins right now to really spend much time thinking about the vikings. probably won't even have to form a real opinion about their chances until i watch their first regular season game. hope this helps.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Hector wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:23 am As it stands now the Vikings are going into 2020 30 plus million over the cap so this year is their all in year. I don't think it's enough with their aging defense, unwillingness to rotate players in, dumb contracts (Rudolph's comes to mind) and relying on rookies to fill big roles.

I do think overall they have tons of talent, but some of the horses need rest during blowouts and some of the inexperienced players need reps.. Holmes, Bower, J.Johnson etc.
Yup. It'll be an average year and the window is quickly closing.

This will be I think the 4th window of opportunity of my lifetime without a SB (appearance even) before a roster overhaul/rebuild.

98-01
02-05
06-10
15-19
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:27 am
Hector wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:23 am As it stands now the Vikings are going into 2020 30 plus million over the cap so this year is their all in year. I don't think it's enough with their aging defense, unwillingness to rotate players in, dumb contracts (Rudolph's comes to mind) and relying on rookies to fill big roles.

This will be I think the 4th window of opportunity of my lifetime without a SB (appearance even) before a roster overhaul/rebuild.

98-01
02-05
06-10
15-19
How in teh fawk do you have 06 and 07 in there?!? They went and brought a old Brad Johnson back and then went to TJack. Those teams were garbage.

02-05? Nobody thought those teams were a contender.

98-01
09-10
15-20
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

I have a good feeling about this year. Last year I had a bad feeling that it would be a replay of the '72 season: Very good team, new quarterback, high expectations...thud. This year, the expectations from the national media are pretty tame and they'll be motivated for a bounce back. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

I'm still concerned about the OL. There's no guarantee that Elflein bounces back, and Jones is a below average starter. Cousins needs a clean pocket to be effective. This could be trouble again.

Defensively, I'm not as concerned. Their big issue last year was that people were getting caught out of position more. If they can get back to playing as a unit, they should be fine.

All that said - this is it. Next year is likely the beginning of the next tear down.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Dude

Post by Dude »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:33 pm

98-01
09-10
15-20
I disagree about the 02-05 teams. The Vikings' records over those years weren't stellar, but they finished #2, #1, and #4 in total offense in 02-04 and in '05 Culpepper was coming off of a historic season as a passer. They would have been serious contenders if they could figure it out defensively.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

I am neutral as far as optimism goes.

As with any team they have to remain healthy. If they are healthy I think they are a legit playoff team.

Can they go far in the playoffs - I have no idea. I hope so but we have to see how the year unfolds. Every year they seem to have some freak thing occur - death, knees, etc. Will this be the year no major freak thing occurs?
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Dude wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:48 am

98-01
09-10
15-20
I disagree about the 02-05 teams. The Vikings' records over those years weren't stellar, but they finished #2, #1, and #4 in total offense in 02-04 and in '05 Culpepper was coming off of a historic season as a passer. They would have been serious contenders if they could figure it out defensively.
But the point is, they didn't have the defense.

Nobody thought those Mike Tice teams were SB contenders. They were not picked by any media outlets to win it.

They also had Michael Bennett as the RB who sucked etc..

That wasn't a good roster.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Worried? No. My expectations are much lower than they were a year ago right now. Lowering expectations makes the season a lot more enjoyable.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

B-Town wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:42 am I'm still concerned about the OL. There's no guarantee that Elflein bounces back, and Jones is a below average starter. Cousins needs a clean pocket to be effective. This could be trouble again.

Defensively, I'm not as concerned. Their big issue last year was that people were getting caught out of position more. If they can get back to playing as a unit, they should be fine.

All that said - this is it. Next year is likely the beginning of the next tear down.
This. Hopefully Kubiak and Dennison are the guru's we desperately need them to be, as definitely we do not have enough OL talent at this point. If they can take a terrible unit and make them even average, this offense could be very good. If that happens, this team will be very good.

Im not worried about the defense either. Truth be told, more ball control (avoiding 4-5 or less play drives) makes this defense all the better. We get into trouble when we keeping putting them out there after 2-3 straight very short possessions. That wears a team out.
JigglyPuff

Post by JigglyPuff »

I'm only worried about the offense. This team has been nothing but a QB, OC and OLINE carousel under Zimmer.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

The window already closed for this core. I thought that was made pretty clear last season. Maybe next time we build this thing up we will A. Get a legit starting Quarterback (something we spent 84 million dollars on and still do not have) on a rookie deal. B. Put together a real group of mashers that can protect the said asset from A. We are looking at a front office that has been working out of desperation for the last 2 years and still have a coach that will continue to throw everyone under the bus when things get tough.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

twgerber wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:18 am I am neutral as far as optimism goes.

As with any team they have to remain healthy. If they are healthy I think they are a legit playoff team.

Can they go far in the playoffs - I have no idea. I hope so but we have to see how the year unfolds. Every year they seem to have some freak thing occur - death, knees, etc. Will this be the year no major freak thing occurs?
The death of Sparano hurt but we werr relatively healthy last year. You could argue the year before we were also. Sure we lost Cook and Bradford but not much else.

The league is riddled with injuries anymore. There isn't some "Jinx" on the team.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bombers3shooter wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:22 pm The window already closed for this core. I thought that was made pretty clear last season. Maybe next time we build this thing up we will A. Get a legit starting Quarterback (something we spent 84 million dollars on and still do not have) on a rookie deal. B. Put together a real group of mashers that can protect the said asset from A. We are looking at a front office that has been working out of desperation for the last 2 years and still have a coach that will continue to throw everyone under the bus when things get tough.
:lol:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:42 pm
twgerber wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:18 am I am neutral as far as optimism goes.

The death of Sparano hurt but we werr relatively healthy last year. You could argue the year before we were also. Sure we lost Cook and Bradford but not much else.

The league is riddled with injuries anymore. There isn't some "Jinx" on the team.
I think Cook and Bradford hurt. And Teddy before that. And Sporano. I wouldn't call them jinx'ed at all but their injuries have been at the critical positions of QB and Coaching.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:27 am

98-01
02-05
06-10
15-19
How in teh fawk do you have 06 and 07 in there?!? They went and brought a old Brad Johnson back and then went to TJack. Those teams were garbage.

98-01
09-10
15-20
Doesn't really matter whether you start at 06 or 07 but that's when that window opened that culminated with Favre. Should've signed Jeff Garcia in 07 and we're a playoff team that year.

02-05 was Moss in his prime with a franchise qb and we had what should have been a couple playoff teams.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Oscar wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:53 am AllDayCrybaby says it was just a down year for the defense. He knows how to scout talent (Ponder) better then anybody!

#moist
You're saying that I "alldaycryvaby"? Haha wtf? Your pathetic is showing, are you sad clay Mathews is gone?

It was a down year for the defense and it pisses you off they were still top 10!! You were extremely excited though at how the Vikings finished in the win column. Pathetic Viking hater.

Ponder?? Bwahahahahs!!!!!!!!! The guy looked scared every play and was a hack. Do you pray every night that I all of a sudden loved ponder and you want the Vikes to lose every game? Haha loser packer troll.

You won't respond because you're a coward.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:32 am
Can Kirk do it?
Where did that confidence go?

Notice how quiet this team has been and especially Cousins. Do you think in his 30s he will start to win games and get first downs when we need them?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

#11-5

#KDC

#Hoist
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

cunningham wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:08 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:32 am
Can Kirk do it?
Where did that confidence go?

Notice how quiet this team has been and especially Cousins. Do you think in his 30s he will start to win games and get first downs when we need them?

I’ve never been fully on the Cousins bandwagon, and I’ve said exactly that numerous times around here.

I just think it’s ridiculous to suggest that Bridgewater or Keenum are better quarterbacks when both are seen as backup QBs in the NFL. They’re paid like it, and they will both likely serve that role this season and possibly beyond that.