Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

The Nfl Running Back Problem

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Philo Beddoe

The Nfl Running Back Problem

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Elliot and Gordon both threatening to hold out for new contracts. Vikings fans don't care right now, but we should, if Dalvin Cook has that breakout season this year, he will want to get paid.

Vikings fans know all too much what happens when you have to pay big money to a RB. Things get neglected, like the offensive line.

My idea, each team gets 2 RB position waivers where those players salaries only count 60% against the cap. So if you pay a RB $10 million only $6 million counts against cap.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: The Nfl Running Back Problem

Post by RubeTube »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:18 pm Elliot and Gordon both threatening to hold out for new contracts. Vikings fans don't care right now, but we should, if Dalvin Cook has that breakout season this year, he will want to get paid.

Vikings fans know all too much what happens when you have to pay big money to a RB. Things get neglected, like the offensive line.

My idea, each team gets 2 RB position waivers where those players salaries only count 60% against the cap. So if you pay a RB $10 million only $6 million counts against cap.
These RBs should hold out. It's asinine that sub par QBs around the league are signing 100 million dollar deals and top RBs vet nothing. They have the shortest shelf life and take the most abuse too.

AP was arguably the best player in the league many of his years and deserved his pay. Meanwhile a turd like Mike Glennon can get a 15 million dollar deal for a year of play. They will have to figure this out on the next agreement.

Also, Cook isn't getting paid close to these guy's with one big year. If he does, you let him walk. One year isn't enough for me. He needs to ahow he can play a couple years without getting hurt.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Chuck North

Post by Chuck North »

Cook has played 15 games in his NFL career. That's the last thing you need to worry about at this point.

In fact, you better hope he has a decent year or he risks being labeled an injury prone bust.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Chuck North wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:29 pm Cook has played 15 games in his NFL career. That's the last thing you need to worry about at this point.

In fact, you better hope he has a decent year or he risks being labeled an injury prone bust.
This.

You would think he's a star around here. I am a fan, like the pick and he has the talent but he's been disappointing so far.

He's got 6 TDS and hasn't even rushed for 1K if you add up his seasons and we are going to year #3.

I hope this is his breakout year.

Maybe it's karma for the moronic "Dime a dozen" comments many here had during APs year's. He's not even in the same stratosphere as Adrian.

Adrian as a old man is putting up bigger #'s and can stay on the field.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

You don't need to play games with the salary cap. This is economics. Zeke Elliot is better than Mike Boone. But if you pay Elliot $20M, you have a problem.

Mike Boone can give you a greater percentage of what Elliot brings your for league minimum than a league minimum quarterback gets you when compared with a $20M quarterback.

If Cook holds out, send him packing. Roll with Mattison and another rookie, even if Cook has a good year. We're paying Cousins $31M next year. No way we can pay a RB $10-15M or whatever. However good Cook is, Mattison, Boone, and a rookie could give us a fair replacement value corps for pennies. In fact, that may be why RB2 was prioritized in the 3rd round over the objections of many rubes (self included). Maybe the idea is to never pay a RB a 2nd contract. It just doesn't make financial sense. RBs get hurt all the time and have a short shelf-life. It is the easiest position to transition from college and make an immediate impact. You can get fair production out of basement-level contracts. Why break the bank for a RB when you can cycle through young, fresh talent on the cheap every 3-4 years?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Hector

Post by Hector »

This is looking like a great year for running backs with bruisers like Najee Harris and AJ Dillion, and guys more like Cook in Dobbins, Cam Akers, Taylor and the Gophers Smith so Cook shouldn't have too much leverage.

I think they should have gone late round on a guy this year but I guess we'll see what Mattison has...a third just seems really steep.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

The league is in a passing era. That means dont pay a lot of money for a RB. Simple.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:40 am You don't need to play games with the salary cap. This is economics. Zeke Elliot is better than Mike Boone. But if you pay Elliot $20M, you have a problem.

Mike Boone can give you a greater percentage of what Elliot brings your for league minimum than a league minimum quarterback gets you when compared with a $20M quarterback.

If Cook holds out, send him packing. Roll with Mattison and another rookie, even if Cook has a good year. We're paying Cousins $31M next year. No way we can pay a RB $10-15M or whatever. However good Cook is, Mattison, Boone, and a rookie could give us a fair replacement value corps for pennies. In fact, that may be why RB2 was prioritized in the 3rd round over the objections of many rubes (self included). Maybe the idea is to never pay a RB a 2nd contract. It just doesn't make financial sense. RBs get hurt all the time and have a short shelf-life. It is the easiest position to transition from college and make an immediate impact. You can get fair production out of basement-level contracts. Why break the bank for a RB when you can cycle through young, fresh talent on the cheap every 3-4 years?
This. RBs are a dime a dozen. You can pay 3 quality RBs a total of $8mil, for 90% of the total production of a $15mil RB. Look at the Bell/Connor situation last year. Do you think the Steelers regret not giving Bell a huge contract? No, of course not. They're better off now that they can use the money saved to bolster weaker positions, or resign players that have a bigger impact on the team.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

The best way for the players themselves to fix this problem is, when coming up young, the players that would have flocked to RB should instead flock to CB.
Same size/speed relatively, with much higher earning potential, longer careers, and less physical toll.

Let the market take care of itself.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:40 am You don't need to play games with the salary cap. This is economics. Zeke Elliot is better than Mike Boone. But if you pay Elliot $20M, you have a problem.

I think that's the takeaway
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

Yes, heaven forbid they get themselves into a situation where they need to retain their core with sizable contracts. I'm sure they wont figure it out and lose who they want keep like the past two years.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

Chuck North wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:29 pm Cook has played 15 games in his NFL career. That's the last thing you need to worry about at this point.

I wouldn't call a 2nd rounder a bust. I've already labeled him as an injury prone overrated player though.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
Bleeds Purple

Post by Bleeds Purple »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:28 pm
Philo Beddoe wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:18 pm Elliot and Gordon both threatening to hold out for new contracts. Vikings fans don't care right now, but we should, if Dalvin Cook has that breakout season this year, he will want to get paid.

These RBs should hold out. It's asinine that sub par QBs around the league are signing 84 million dollar deals and top RBs vet nothing. They have the shortest shelf life and take the most abuse too.

AP was arguably the best player in the league many of his years and deserved his pay. Meanwhile a turd like Mike Glennon can get a 15 million dollar deal for a year of play. They will have to figure this out on the next agreement.

Also, Cook isn't getting paid close to these guy's with one big year. If he does, you let him walk. One year isn't enough for me. He needs to ahow he can play a couple years without getting hurt.
Fixed it for you! :thumbsup:
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Bleeds Purple wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:18 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:28 pm

These RBs should hold out. It's asinine that sub par QBs around the league are signing 84 million dollar deals and top RBs vet nothing. They have the shortest shelf life and take the most abuse too.

Fixed it for you! :thumbsup:
Kirk is one of the guy's worth the money.

LEARN TEH GAME, SASQUATCH!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Bleeds Purple

Post by Bleeds Purple »

Let these fuckers walk. RBs are pretty much getting to be a dime-a-dozen in today's NFL. For the most part, a team's offense needs to a have a semi-decent RB to keep the opposing defense honest. Just so the opposing defense can not camp in the backfield, waiting for the coming pass. Other than that, the day of the big-time RB is pretty much over in the NFL, for the time being.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:20 pm
Kirk is one of the guy's worth the money.

LEARN TEH GAME, SASQUATCH!
LOL. Based on what we've seen so far, there's no way to make this statement unless you're trolling or are just ignoring reality. Cousins is the 2nd highest paid QB in the NFL this year. He obviously didn't play like a Top 5 QB.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Bleeds Purple wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:22 pm Let these fuckers walk. RBs are pretty much getting to be a dime-a-dozen in today's NFL. For the most part, a team's offense needs to a have a semi-decent RB to keep the opposing defense honest. Just so the opposing defense can not camp in the backfield, waiting for the coming pass. Other than that, the day of the big-time RB is pretty much over in the NFL, for the time being.
I actually really like the idea now of using a high pick on a rookie RB and then just burning through their first contract, then draft another (or multiple) all over again.
I do still think there's a clear benefit of having a stud RB, but guys like David Johnson, Le'Veeon Bell, Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, etc have all shown as Day 2 picks that they can be those studs from Day 1, yet super cheap.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:41 am The league is in a passing era. That means dont pay a lot of money for a RB. Simple.
This is correct. THe bigger problem is that there are so few good QB’s. That’s why they make as much as they do.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Bob Wiley wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:31 am
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:41 am The league is in a passing era. That means dont pay a lot of money for a RB. Simple.
This is correct. THe bigger problem is that there are so few good QB’s. That’s why they make as much as they do.
Exactly. The league office and rules committee dictate what type of faculty members (players) teams need to be successful. The lack of great players at that position is actually a positive for them (NFL) because the demand by the audience is higher (audience being people at home).

The NFL has become a tv show, the league office is the producers of the show. The show has the need for great leading men (QB's). You pay the leading men more than you do the supporting actors (RB's).

If every team has a great QB, then none of the QB's are great. Running Backs are no longer in high demand, because the league cant protect them as easily, and many of them have faults with off-the-field issues whereas QB's typically do not. This is your 2019 NFL.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
FLYING_FINN'SSIDEKICK

Post by FLYING_FINN'SSIDEKICK »

True, but I do believe he will have a good season and hopefully stay Healthy!!!
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

If I ran a team, I’d never pay top dollar for any RB.

The job description for a RB is the easiest in football.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:45 pm
Bleeds Purple wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:22 pm Let these fuckers walk. RBs are pretty much getting to be a dime-a-dozen in today's NFL. For the most part, a team's offense needs to a have a semi-decent RB to keep the opposing defense honest. Just so the opposing defense can not camp in the backfield, waiting for the coming pass. Other than that, the day of the big-time RB is pretty much over in the NFL, for the time being.
I actually really like the idea now of using a high pick on a rookie RB and then just burning through their first contract, then draft another (or multiple) all over again.
I do still think there's a clear benefit of having a stud RB, but guys like David Johnson, Le'Veeon Bell, Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, etc have all shown as Day 2 picks that they can be those studs from Day 1, yet super cheap.
Agreed 100% and I hope this is the strategy the Vikes employ from here on out. Don't pay the RB. Get a new one. It might bite you in the ass a time or two, but overall it will be a sound strategy.

If you want elite players at some positions (and have to pay for them) then you have to go cheap somehwere. RB seems like the most logical place to do it.

Key to having good bang-for-buck players: Draft well, so you have good players on rookie deals. Extend those players a year before their contracts are up so you get a discount. Avoid Free Agency when possible. Cycle through RBs on rookie deals. Draft players a year BEFORE you need them to start (except first round picks and total stud prospects).
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:54 pm
Agreed 100% and I hope this is the strategy the Vikes employ from here on out. Don't pay the RB. Get a new one. It might bite you in the ass a time or two, but overall it will be a sound strategy.

If you want elite players at some positions (and have to pay for them) then you have to go cheap somehwere. RB seems like the most logical place to do it.

Key to having good bang-for-buck players: Draft well, so you have good players on rookie deals. Extend those players a year before their contracts are up so you get a discount. Avoid Free Agency when possible. Cycle through RBs on rookie deals. Draft players a year BEFORE you need them to start (except first round picks and total stud prospects).
That’s why I didn’t mind the RB pick for us this year. Now Mattison was certainly not the one I expected, but when we were doing the Froob Draft I had the Vikes in the 4th rd and took Devin Singletary because I wanted another good RB. (Singletary ended up going Top 3rd in real draft.

I know that coaches were pounding the tables for Mattison so I’ll defer to them for now, but I do worry whether that they maybe went for too much of a complimentary specialist vs an actually all around great back, like they did when they took McKinnon over Devonte Freeman.

I like the strategy though, and getting Samia in the 4th helps offset.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Hector

Post by Hector »

Oriole81 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:21 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:54 pm

That’s why I didn’t mind the RB pick for us this year. Now Mattison was certainly not the one I expected, but when we were doing the Froob Draft I had the Vikes in the 4th rd and took Devin Singletary because I wanted another good RB. (Singletary ended up going Top 3rd in real draft.

I know that coaches were pounding the tables for Mattison so I’ll defer to them for now, but I do worry whether that they maybe went for too much of a complimentary specialist vs an actually all around great back, like they did when they took McKinnon over Devonte Freeman.

I like the strategy though, and getting Samia in the 4th helps offset.
This is the big hinge for the running game, if he's a CJ Anderson, Alfred Morris, Blount type and for that type of role-they probably should have just signed one of them. I hope he's a guy that can take over if needed because he might be needed, the fact that Kubiak was in house during the selection does make it seem like a good pick but he never really spent third rounders on any of his backs...we'll see.
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:18 pmif Dalvin Cook has that breakout season this year, he will want to get paid.
So we're worried about Cook who hasn't even suited up for 75% of a season yet (15 games in 2 years)?

He was 10th in his class of RBs in rush yards last season. Let's see if he can eclipse that 650 yard mark or 2 rushing TD mark before worrying about extensions.
"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations." - Joe Biden, July 2021
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Lots of Negative feedback about Dalvin Cook in this thread.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
salamander

Post by salamander »

The way the NFL is now, you pay the RB if your QB spot is unstable. You don't if you've got relative stability at QB.

Its shitty but that's just the way it is. You can get great RBs every 2 or 3 years in the 3rd or 4th. You let Cook walk, Mattison becomes the #1 and you burn a 3rd rounder for your backup. When Mattison wants money 3 years later, you let him walk, promote Mattisons backup and burn another 3rd rounder for the newest backup.

That's the best plan anyways. Not everything goes to plan.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

With Kubiak bringing in his offensive scheme we can get 1000 yards out of pretty much anyone just like they used to in Denver.

Cook is awesome and I hope he has a long, celebrated career but if he gets too expensive they can just elevate one of the rookies and save that money for other players.
In Kwesi we trust.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

If I were a GM, I would NEVER not have a starting RB on his rookie deal unless his extension was palatable and/or I have an elite QB on his rookie deal for the entire duration of the RB's contract (and even then, you're much better spending that money elsewhere).
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:28 pm If I were a GM, I would NEVER not have a starting RB on his rookie deal unless his extension was palatable and/or I have an elite QB on his rookie deal for the entire duration of the RB's contract (and even then, you're much better spending that money elsewhere).
That’s what the Rams did with Gurley while Goff was on his rookie deal. They paid him because they could and he was elite. Even at a position not nearly as valuable as QB, pass rusher, or corner. Once Goff’s new extension kicks in big time, Gurley will be gone or taking a significant pay cut.