Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Vikings Roster Outlook 2020 and Beyond

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Ash Ketchum

Vikings Roster Outlook 2020 and Beyond

Post by Ash Ketchum »

We’re locked and loaded as best we’re going to be for 2019, but thought we could discuss the future of this roster.

Here are the 12 players whose salary make up 90% of the total 2020 salary cap for Vikings:

1. Cousins
2. Diggs
3. Hunter
4. Griffen
5. Joseph
6. Reiff
7. Rhodes
8. Thielen
9. Barr
10. Smith
11. Kendricks
12. Rudolph

Both Sportrac and Over the Cap project the Vikings to be significantly OVER the cap in 2020 if the roster remained as is (Sportrac: -$30 million; OTC: -$12 million). So it’s just simple math that a number of the players listed above will be gone after this season. Hopefully some can be extended and restructured, but with their advancing age, you will want to be careful about that.

Let’s discuss the candidates:

Kirk Cousins - $31 million cap hit (fully guaranteed)

Not a cut candidate with his fully guaranteed deal, but IF he has a strong 2019, perhaps you’re willing to extend him to decrease that cap hit for 2020. Possible that you can create some cap relief with this route, but hinges completely on whether or not he is the longterm guy. If he suffers through a terrible 2019 (completely possible), the Vikings are in a terrible spot where they are essentially stuck with him in 2020 and also don’t get to decrease his cap number with an extension. This is a HUGE season upcoming for Cousins and the Vikings.

Everton Griffen - $13.9 million cap hit (Vikings save $13.1 million)

Probably THE most likely Viking to be gone after this season because of his lack of dead money left on his deal. Unless he has a truly resurgent season and returns to double-digit sack form I. 2019, I think he will be let go as opposed to being extended. They simply NEED the cap space.

Riley Reiff - $13.2 million cap hit (Vikings save $8.8 million)

If Reiff submits another typical Riley Reiff season where he’s solid but maybe not spectacular, I am hesitant to just let him go. He comes with a $4.4 million dead cap number, and for that big of a loss, I’d be inclined to keep Reiff as long as he’s still a solid starter. Just can’t afford to lose him with the shaky state of this OL. Wait until the year after and save $11.7 by cutting him prior to the 2021 season. I could see this one go either way, though. If O’Neal really continues to blossom, perhaps you can let Reiff go.

Linval Joseph - $12.9 million cap hit (Vikings save $10.5 million)

In my opinion, it’s very unlikely that Joseph is a Viking beyond 2019. His play is still very good, but at age 31 and due huge money, I think it’s more prudent to let the big fella go rather than resign an aging nose tackle to prime pass rusher money.

Xavier Rhodes - $12.9 million cap hit (Vikings save $8.1 million)

Another player whose future sort of hinges on how good he is in 2019. If Rhodes returns to dominant form, then perhaps you feel confident in extending him a few years to get some immediate cap relief. Rhodes will be 30 in 2020.

Harrison Smith - $10.75 million cap hit (Vikings save $8.7 million)

I doubt Smith would be cut even if he had a poor 2019, but perhaps he’s an extension candidate if the Vikings could get a fair price and/or some sort of loyalty discount from Smith’s camp. He will be 31 going into 2020, and who knows if there will be a steep decline?

Kyle Rudolph - $8.8 million cap hit (Vikings save $3 million)

Rudolph’s extension was through 2023, but there’s little chance he plays out that contract. If Irv Smith emerges and Rudolph isn’t vital to the passing attack anymore, you can cut him and save $3 million. Will depends on how important the team thinks he still is.

Bottom line is that the Vikings NEED to shed a bunch of salary to get back under the cap after this season. Decisions will have to be made, but it’s pretty clear that 2019 is sort of the last hurrah before this team starts to look different.

What’s your plan, Froobs?
Beef Supreme

Re: Vikings Roster Outlook 2020 and Beyond

Post by Beef Supreme »

As a minor point, when does the cap for 2020 get set? Is it set yet or just projected? How much the cap jumps could affect this, but in general, I think you're probably pretty close to right. I bet Griffin, Reiff, and Joseph are likely gone. And that would be okay. We'll need to keep adding talent in the trenches in the draft to replace them. I think Rhodes and Smith are back, unless they have really crappy years. I think Rudy sticks around too. I think he's gone from being over-rated to being under-appreciated in pretty quick fashion.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Way too early to talk about any of this. A season is a eternity in this league.

So much can happen from now until this time next year.

Let's start this thread in February.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:16 pm Way too early to talk about any of this. A season is a eternity in this league.

Agreed
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:16 pm Way too early to talk about any of this. A season is a eternity in this league.

:lol:

Fucking priceless. Yeah, how dare he start a football topic thread when we could start threads about a "chick I met online", 25 nonsensical attention whore threads about Kirk Cousins, how we used to beat women back in the day or other phony "look at me" bullshit. You are the last person who should comment on a thread started by anyone.
hategreenticemase

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:47 pm As a minor point, when does the cap for 2020 get set? Is it set yet or just projected? How much the cap jumps could affect this, but in general, I think you're probably pretty close to right. I bet Griffin, Reiff, and Joseph are likely gone. And that would be okay. We'll need to keep adding talent in the trenches in the draft to replace them. I think Rhodes and Smith are back, unless they have really crappy years. I think Rudy sticks around too. I think he's gone from being over-rated to being under-appreciated in pretty quick fashion.
Obviously cap number matters a lot. I agree on EG, and of have moved on this year. Joseph I think depends on how he does this year - if bounces back, maybe a restructure happens, otherwise I agree he is gone.

Not sure I agree with you on Rudolph. Can't envision keeping his salary unless Smith sucks.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

The OP is pretty spot on, though I agree that a lot will depend on how the team performs. If they are bad, more guys are gone. If they're good, they'll try to get the band back together.

That said, two things I'm sure of. There's a 82% chance that the Vikings take a CB in the 1st round of the 2020 draft. And milhouse will probably take more pics to prove to everyone that he's loaded and lives in FL.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Two paths... one, they make the playoffs again and show signs of the window to competing for a super bowl still open. If that's the case, Spielman/Zimmer are back for 2020 and they likely go to Smith, Joseph, Rhodes and Cousins to all negotiate extensions that will lower cap numbers. I could see them moving on from Rhodes period to get younger at CB. Reiff probably gone. Waynes probably gone so yes, like b-town said, expect a CB early in the draft.

The other path is they miss the playoffs, Spielman for sure gets fired (Paton likely takes over) and then you start clearing the books. All those guys above except Smith are expendable. Cousins likely is back on the final year of his deal fully guaranteed but I would guess there isn't a negotiation for an extension so he knows his days are numbered. Maybe we even get some Sloter time in 2020 as we tank for the future HOF Trevor Lawrence.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:47 pm As a minor point, when does the cap for 2020 get set? Is it set yet or just projected? How much the cap jumps could affect this, but in general, I think you're probably pretty close to right. I bet Griffin, Reiff, and Joseph are likely gone. And that would be okay. We'll need to keep adding talent in the trenches in the draft to replace them. I think Rhodes and Smith are back, unless they have really crappy years. I think Rudy sticks around too. I think he's gone from being over-rated to being under-appreciated in pretty quick fashion.
Great point, didn’t think of this, and didn’t fully understand the discrepancy in numbers provided by Sportrac and OTC, but I realize now that their salary cap space number is based on a projected 2020 cap, not the real thing.
Jaamz

Post by Jaamz »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:42 am

Fucking priceless. Yeah, how dare he start a football topic thread when we could start threads about a "chick I met online", 25 nonsensical attention whore threads about Kirk Cousins, how we used to beat women back in the day or other phony "look at me" bullshit. You are the last person who should comment on a thread started by anyone.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Bomb for Fromm. Not really but he has big potential.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

If Cousins isn't willing to extend after making 60 mil off of us in two seasons and strapping our cap then fuck him. I say draft a QB and sit him. If he does, I like the idea of grooming a qb until Cousins extension is finished.

Joseph I think will stick around until the end of his career and same with Harry Smith. Those guys will extend IMO, but we're going to need to draft a big time DT regardless.

Rhodes should be gone after this year via trade or release. Move on from CB's sooner rather than later. Extend Waynes and between he, Hughes, and Hill we shouldn't have to use a high pick on a CB, but we probably will anyways.

Griffen and Reiff are gone after this year.

That means in the next couple years we need to use high picks on DE, QB, DT and T. It's a daunting task.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

What kind of money is Mack Alexander looking at? What are the chances he stays?
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Bleeds Purple

Post by Bleeds Purple »

After another dismal season, thanks to Mr. Mediocre and his $84 million lead necklace, The Vikings will, hopefully, look to the future and draft (if one is available) a QB for the future. Let Cousins take the brunt of the hits in 2021, let newbie watch the game, and learn NOT WHAT TO DO while on the field. Start newbie in 2022 and let Cousins go chock someone else's salary cap.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:06 am What kind of money is Mack Alexander looking at? What are the chances he stays?
Alexander is in the last year of his rookie deal in 2019. He will be a UFA after this season. He counts $1.3 million against the 2019 salary cap. He does not factor into the 2020 salary cap yet.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Yet it's one of the top threads reaching at almost 1K views in a weeks time.

It's about "Entertaining", Tice. Something you know nothing about with your old man "Fluff" pieces.

I am what you dream to be. Smart, Successful, Handsome, Popular. Sit back peasant, Teh Tube is speaking and people are listening.

Remember... I do this for a living. Paid the big bucks.

As my legion of "Maniacs" say...

QUOTE TEH TUBE "NEVERMORE"

P.S. This is my guy Ash's thread. Save the reply. Don't want to hijack it like you already attempted. Carry on brothers!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:25 pm Image

Yet it's one of the top threads reaching at almost 1K views in a weeks time.

It's about "Entertaining", Tice. Something you know nothing about with your old man "Fluff" pieces.

I am what you dream to be. Smart, Successful, Handsome, Popular. Sit back peasant, Teh Tube is speaking and people are listening.

Remember... I do this for a living. Paid the big bucks.

As my legion of "Maniacs" say...

QUOTE TEH TUBE "NEVERMORE"

P.S. This is my guy Ash's thread. Save the reply. Don't want to hijack it like you already attempted. Carry on brothers!
The absolutely best part of this fucker - he truly believes there are some rubes here who buy these preposterous "facts" he likes to pretend are true. Its fucking priceless. :lol:
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

A new CBA in the works? Huge increase in salary cap?
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

If we don’t win a playoff game I think we cut a lot of guys. We should have started the rebuild when Teddy’s leg fell off. Trading a first for Bradford further exasperated our situation. Going all in with Cousins payday was the end.

Spielman needs to go. I want whomever evaluates quarterbacks for the Rams to come here because Spielman is the worst talent evaluator at the quarterback position maybe in NFL history.

Because we didn’t retool when Teddy went down and double downed on retread quarterbacks we fucked our selves in the long run. Eagles get rid of Bradford and win the Super Bowl while we have a losing record. If Washington starts to get better now without Cousins it will really be telling.

Cousins isn’t worth the money. Neither are Griffin, Joseph, Rieffer, or Rudolph.

We’ll see how the season goes. Kubiak is really our only hope, but Stefanski is our OC. Kubiak has had some shitty seasons too though. He needs an elite quarterback usually. So we will know pretty quick if Cousins is hope. The guy is in his 30s now so I am tired of excuses. My fear is that teams can gameplan for him and shut him down. Especially good teams.