Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Which rookie will have biggest impact?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
twgerber

Which rookie will have biggest impact?

Post by twgerber »

From Tony Pauline:

What rookie do you think will have the biggest year/impact this coming season?
There are two rookies who I think will have the biggest impact this coming season. The first is offensive lineman Garrett Bradbury from the Vikings. Obviously, you won’t be able to measure his impact with stats but he’s going to be a day one starter and I think he’s only going to get better as the season progresses.

The other is wide receiver N’Keal Harry from the New England Patriots. When you look at the situation Harry is in with the Patriots, when you look at his strengths and the Patriots needs, I think this is a match made in heaven.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tony ... -thompson/

Geez from reading this forum I would have thought he was a bust or at best a barely Ok pick.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Ash Ketchum

Re: Which rookie will have biggest impact?

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Harry is gonna eat.

He’s essentially going to be in the Gronk-type role for them.
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

Irv Smith Jr. playing te. Stays on the field in passing downs lack of talent 3wr. Spot may line up a fb. So bet he's on the field alot.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Phrooster wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:42 pm Irv Smith Jr. playing te. Stays on the field in passing downs lack of talent 3wr. Spot may line up a fb. So bet he's on the field alot.
I think he will disappoint many Vikings fans who's expectations are high for his rookie season. Rookie TE's everywhere in the league have trouble adjusting. Also that he won't be the top TE target (Rudolph), and David Morgan will also likely be the TE brought in for blocking packages. Irv might be TE #3. Not to say he doesnt have a bright future. The odds, and the depth chart are just stacked against him.

Now, this Mattison guy. He's one to keep an eye on for impact. Should be the goal line back, with numerous TD opportunities...and, Cook has trouble staying on the field, so Mattison could become the work horse for a stretch at some point this season.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:51 am
Phrooster wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:42 pm Irv Smith Jr. playing te. Stays on the field in passing downs lack of talent 3wr. Spot may line up a fb. So bet he's on the field alot.
I think he will disappoint many Vikings fans who's expectations are high for his rookie season. Rookie TE's everywhere in the league have trouble adjusting. Also that he won't be the top TE target (Rudolph), and David Morgan will also likely be the TE brought in for blocking packages. Irv might be TE #3. Not to say he doesnt have a bright future. The odds, and the depth chart are just stacked against him.

Now, this Mattison guy. He's one to keep an eye on for impact. Should be the goal line back, with numerous TD opportunities...and, Cook has trouble staying on the field, so Mattison could become the work horse for a stretch at some point this season.
"Man Down" is going to be a fawking beast.

Irv won't have a rookie adjustment. He's that good.

Explosive plays will be all over the field.

Hopefully Zimmer can quit being a dope and trying to win 17-13 games.

#Hoist

#KDC

#LombardiComingToMinnesota
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Dude

Post by Dude »

If Bradburry is effective for 16 games and Elflein upgrades his guard spot, Bradburry is the easy answer.

After that it's Mattison. Even if Cook stays healthy for 16+ games, Mattison is going to get a lot of play.

I don't think Irv was a bad pick or will be a bad player, but I really don't think he's going to get consistent opportunities this year unless there are multiple injuries.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Dude wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:47 am If Bradburry is effective for 16 games and Elflein upgrades his guard spot, Bradburry is the easy answer.

After that it's Mattison. Even if Cook stays healthy for 16+ games, Mattison is going to get a lot of play.

I don't think Irv was a bad pick or will be a bad player, but I really don't think he's going to get consistent opportunities this year unless there are multiple injuries.
I get where you are coming from, but if a RB we damn sure didn't have to have has the bIggest impact, I think that's an indictment more than a positive. If Bradbury doesnt have the biggest impact we are in trouble.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:10 am
Dude wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:47 am If Bradburry is effective for 16 games and Elflein upgrades his guard spot, Bradburry is the easy answer.

I get where you are coming from, but if a RB we damn sure didn't have to have has the bIggest impact, I think that's an indictment more than a positive. If Bradbury doesnt have the biggest impact we are in trouble.
So if another Rookie vastly outperforms his draft slot that's an indictment on Bradbury? Seriously?
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
hategreenticemase

twgerber wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:46 pm

So if another Rookie vastly outperforms his draft slot that's an indictment on Bradbury? Seriously?
Jesus Christ, don't be an ass. Fairly sure you understood the point. That being, since RB wasn't a top 3-4 need on this team an argument could have been made the pick should have never happened in the 3rd round to begin with. Therefore, him being the one who has biggest impact would more likely be due to something bad happening - ie, our very good starter going down. So my point is, our ONE major deficiency is clear - if that's not much better, it really doesn't matter how any other rookie does.

I hated the pick. He may end up being a good player and I hope I eat my words. It's not the player I had issue with, it's taking a fucking Rb that high (I believe in taking RB's later in drafts, it's a proven strategy) - ESPECIALLY when it was very clearly not a critical need. We will see.
Dude

Post by Dude »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:13 pm

Jesus Christ, don't be an ass. Fairly sure you understood the point. That being, since RB wasn't a top 3-4 need on this team an argument could have been made the pick should have never happened in the 3rd round to begin with. Therefore, him being the one who has biggest impact would more likely be due to something bad happening - ie, our very good starter going down. So my point is, our ONE major deficiency is clear - if that's not much better, it really doesn't matter how any other rookie does.

I hated the pick. He may end up being a good player and I hope I eat my words. It's not the player I had issue with, it's taking a fucking Rb that high (I believe in taking RB's later in drafts, it's a proven strategy) - ESPECIALLY when it was very clearly not a critical need. We will see.
It can go both ways though... I sincerely don't believe that Mattison was so much more talented than other backs on the board that he had to be taken in the third round. I was surprised by the pick and thought they could have waited at least another round to backfill that role.

However, given the speculated "re-commitment" to the running game this year and the role he should be filling, he fits the description of "impactful rookie," but it's more about the role he's filling than where he was taken.

In regards to Bradbury- that's the easiest and most likely answer. If it's not him, then they're probably screwed anyway.
hategreenticemase

Dude wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:30 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:13 pm

It can go both ways though... I sincerely don't believe that Mattison was so much more talented than other backs on the board that he had to be taken in the third round. I was surprised by the pick and thought they could have waited at least another round to backfill that role.

However, given the speculated "re-commitment" to the running game this year and the role he should be filling, he fits the description of "impactful rookie," but it's more about the role he's filling than where he was taken.

In regards to Bradbury- that's the easiest and most likely answer. If it's not him, then they're probably screwed anyway.
That's pretty much what my point was. Hey, I hope the kid is a stud, but bottom line is, I hated the pick. I'd have hated taking ANY rb in ANY of top 3 rounds. Just didn't need one more than a G, Dt, Wr or LB. Not to mention, I feel strongly you can get decent rb options 4th Rd or later...
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

I don't disagree that taking a RB in round 3 was a surprise. Not what I expected at all so disappointed that way. They must have seen something in the RB though.

I just don't think how he does is a reflection on Bradbury in any way shape or form.

Yes if the RB makes a huge impact it means our potential star RB is out with injury yet again.
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
hategreenticemase

twgerber wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:15 am I don't disagree that taking a RB in round 3 was a surprise. Not what I expected at all so disappointed that way. They must have seen something in the RB though.

I just don't think how he does is a reflection on Bradbury in any way shape or form.

Yes if the RB makes a huge impact it means our potential star RB is out with injury yet again.
I will concede both Bradbury can be good and the rb can have a bigger impact if Cook goes down. Not sure that will be good, but could happen.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

I hope it’s Bradbury. I saw a recent ranking of the upcoming season and the Vikings are still on 24-25. We need the to play like a 14-15 for the Vikings to go far.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Bob Wiley wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:39 pm I hope it’s Bradbury. I saw a recent ranking of the upcoming season and the Vikings are still on 24-25. We need the to play like a 14-15 for the Vikings to go far.
If Bradbury isn't noticed by fans it will mean he played well :coolio:

Oline rankings don't mean much when 3 of the 5 positions have changed. To be expected going into the year. Most rankings really are done with an eye at last year. No one can really predict how this line will play until they do. Can't wait for camp to start.
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

twgerber wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:43 am Can't wait for camp to start.
Preach it brother! The sports abyss is killing me.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse