Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

One last move you'd like to see?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Hector

One last move you'd like to see?

Post by Hector »

Whether it's signing a vet WR (Bryant, Crabtree...) Trading Wayne's and extending Mac is there one last tweak that is reasonably achievable that you would like to see?
B-Town

Re: One last move you'd like to see?

Post by B-Town »

I think they should take a long look at the guys available in the supplemental draft.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Hector

Post by Hector »

B-Town wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:05 am I think they should take a long look at the guys available in the supplemental draft.
I think that's a thread in itself😎
Dude

Post by Dude »

B-Town wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:05 am I think they should take a long look at the guys available in the supplemental draft.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

A 3rd WR is the ONLY missing link right now.

This team is STACKED and ready to DOMINATE.

#Hoist
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Dude

Post by Dude »

Seriously though, I wonder how bad Eric Berry's health is. If there's any chance he could return to form that would be a nice addition. Tre Boston might be interesting too, but they're probably going cost more than what the Vikings could afford based on what their roles would be.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:17 am A 3rd WR is the ONLY missing link right now.

#Hoist
I am in agreement with this, although the 3rd WR needs to be specifically a slot type receiver. One wild card I mention is Marcus Simms, available in the supplemental draft.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Dude wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:21 am Seriously though, I wonder how bad Eric Berry's health is. If there's any chance he could return to form that would be a nice addition. Tre Boston might be interesting too, but they're probably going cost more than what the Vikings could afford based on what their roles would be.
I don’t think safety is a huge need with Smith and Harris, but I guess if it were a low-risk contract, it wouldn’t hurt.

I agree that adding a third WR would be ideal.

Thielen played in the slot almost 50% of the time in 2018, so I don’t know that an addition at WR would necessarily have to be a slot guy. A big-bodied WR or a pure deep threat could help as well.

I don’t want Dez Bryant. Not worth the headlines or hassle. Same with Crabtree.

It’s funny. Remember when we signed Mike Wallace a few years ago? I know he’s washed up now, but that’s the type of WR I think would fit well in this offense. You’d have Thielen who can operate anywhere, Diggs for screens and good route running on the outside and then the deep threat clearing space for everyone.
Last edited by Ash Ketchum on Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

While the o line is improved would like to see some more talent added
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:28 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:17 am A 3rd WR is the ONLY missing link right now.

#Hoist
I am in agreement with this, although the 3rd WR needs to be specifically a slot type receiver. One wild card I mention is Marcus Simms, available in the supplemental draft.
Hasn't Thielen been running the majority of his routes out of the slot? Curious as to why you'd want to move him out of the spot he's had the most success, in order to post pictures of a hotel pool...

Stup up, Abe!
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Phrooster wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:03 pm While the o line is improved would like to see some more talent added
Agreed here. Maybe bring in a cap casualty or 2 at the end of camp or the preseason.

Stup up, Abe!
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Gotta have that one token "project guy" in camp. A Babatunde Aiyegbusi, a Moritz Bohringer, a Todd Lowber. Some guy who played 2 years of High School ball, then joined the French Foreign Legion for a stint, then played intramural lacrosse at Colgate or some shit. Untapped Potential Upside Guy.
Fortune Tellers Make a Killing Nowadays
Dude

Post by Dude »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:15 am
Dude wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:21 am Seriously though, I wonder how bad Eric Berry's health is. If there's any chance he could return to form that would be a nice addition. Tre Boston might be interesting too, but they're probably going cost more than what the Vikings could afford based on what their roles would be.
I don’t think safety is a huge need with Smith and Harris, but I guess if it were a low-risk contract, it wouldn’t hurt.

I agree that adding a third WR would be ideal.

Thielen played in the slot almost 50% of the time in 2018, so I don’t know that an addition at WR would necessarily have to be a slot guy. A big-bodied WR or a pure deep threat could help as well.

I don’t want Dez Bryant. Not worth the headlines or hassle. Same with Crabtree.

It’s funny. Remember when we signed Mike Wallace a few years ago? I know he’s washed up now, but that’s the type of WR I think would fit well in this offense. You’d have Thielen who can operate anywhere, Diggs for screens and good route running on the outside and then the deep threat clearing space for everyone.
Safety isn't a huge need, certainly not at the level a 3rd receiver might be. There's just not much there in free agency that moves the needle.

Depth on the OL would be nice, but again there isn't anyone out there worth getting excited about.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

B-Town wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:18 pm

#Hoist
Hasn't Thielen been running the majority of his routes out of the slot? Curious as to why you'd want to move him out of the spot he's had the most success, in order to post pictures of a hotel pool...
YOu think that was a hotel? Nice. That is how I live every day bud. I get the jealousy. But maybe it is time to let it go.

AS far as Thielen in the slot, he is not a slot receiver. He is often the Z, or flanker, off the line. But that is different from the Y or slot receiver. WHole different route trees with the slot receiver operating mostly in the underneath zones and a lot of specialized routes. IF you can find a slot receiver that can also run vertical routes from the slot it is a bonus.

DIggs and Thielen are the X and Z receivers. I think both Thielen and Diggs could play as "slot" receivers and I am sure that they sometimes run those types of routes. But unless we can find a X or Z better than they are, I would not move them.

IF we had a true slot guy, or Y receiver, we would have a much more complete passing attack. A solid receiver that can get open from the slot, workign with the TE, Diggs, and Thielen would really give Cousins options he has lacked. The slot receiver makes it really difficult to roll the coverage to Diggs and Thielen, which our opponents did last year, and with our receiving corps a good slot receiver would be open.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Fire Spielman!

A message board with pictures of a bunch of dildos.

About sums this place up!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#moist
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

You are such an ass the Best part of you ran down your mom's leg
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Oscar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:55 pm Fire Spielman!

A message board with pictures of a bunch of dildos.

About sums this place up!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#moist
What makes you moist, dildos or the packers?

My guess is C: All the above
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Wilfs sell and coaching staff fired.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:22 am

YOu think that was a hotel? Nice. That is how I live every day bud. I get the jealousy. But maybe it is time to let it go.

AS far as Thielen in the slot, he is not a slot receiver. He is often the Z, or flanker, off the line. But that is different from the Y or slot receiver. WHole different route trees with the slot receiver operating mostly in the underneath zones and a lot of specialized routes. IF you can find a slot receiver that can also run vertical routes from the slot it is a bonus.

DIggs and Thielen are the X and Z receivers. I think both Thielen and Diggs could play as "slot" receivers and I am sure that they sometimes run those types of routes. But unless we can find a X or Z better than they are, I would not move them.

IF we had a true slot guy, or Y receiver, we would have a much more complete passing attack. A solid receiver that can get open from the slot, workign with the TE, Diggs, and Thielen would really give Cousins options he has lacked. The slot receiver makes it really difficult to roll the coverage to Diggs and Thielen, which our opponents did last year, and with our receiving corps a good slot receiver would be open.
I know you don't need money and are rich and all (I mean those pictures for sure prove that!!! :lol: ) but you should look into becoming an NFL Asst coach. The knowledge you have compared to the rest of us morons is frightening.
Last edited by hategreenticemase on Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
hategreenticemase

#Hoist

Please,please, please look at me!!! :lol:
hategreenticemase

B-Town wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:19 pm
Phrooster wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:03 pm While the o line is improved would like to see some more talent added
Agreed here. Maybe bring in a cap casualty or 2 at the end of camp or the preseason.
Of course OL remains and has been all along, our biggest need. This notion that it's "fixed" is laughable. It may be, and I damn sure hope it is, but there is ZERO reason to assume it's fixed at this point. MAJOR question marks remain - handing a starting job to a cast off in Kline and handing another starting job to a guy who regressed and wasn't good enough last year AND is changing positions to G.

No one hopes Kline is an answer, that Elf returns to rookie form and performs at G, and that the true improvement comes from the OL gurus added more than I do. I choose to be optimistic about that will be what gets it done. However, just assuming it's fixed is preposterous.

At this point all we know is this - our guard play will be at least better but that's mostly due to it was about as bad as an NFL team can be last year. C play should improve also as Bradbury appears to be real deal and Elf below avg last year. Fair chance our T play will be better also - promising rookie had an offseason to add strength and Reiff had some injuries last year. But here is the real, true point and the part many fail to realize - I agree there is little doubt this unit will be improved - it simply has to be. That, however, doesnt automatically equal "good enough"

I have said this 100 times prior. I believe if this OL can ascend to "slightly above avg" that Cousins will be pretty damn good and this offense will be top 5. That said, the OL would have to be DRAMATICALLY improved to get to slightly above avg.
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

Oscar to a whore house
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:01 am
B-Town wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:19 pm
Of course OL remains and has been all along, our biggest need. This notion that it's "fixed" is laughable. It may be, and I damn sure hope it is, but there is ZERO reason to assume it's fixed at this point. MAJOR question marks remain - handing a starting job to a cast off in Kline and handing another starting job to a guy who regressed and wasn't good enough last year AND is changing positions to G.

No one hopes Kline is an answer, that Elf returns to rookie form and performs at G, and that the true improvement comes from the OL gurus added more than I do. I choose to be optimistic about that will be what gets it done. However, just assuming it's fixed is preposterous.

At this point all we know is this - our guard play will be at least better but that's mostly due to it was about as bad as an NFL team can be last year. C play should improve also as Bradbury appears to be real deal and Elf below avg last year. Fair chance our T play will be better also - promising rookie had an offseason to add strength and Reiff had some injuries last year. But here is the real, true point and the part many fail to realize - I agree there is little doubt this unit will be improved - it simply has to be. That, however, doesnt automatically equal "good enough"

I have said this 100 times prior. I believe if this OL can ascend to "slightly above avg" that Cousins will be pretty damn good and this offense will be top 5. That said, the OL would have to be DRAMATICALLY improved to get to slightly above avg.
ZzZzZ

Thanks for coming back! You have became predictable and archaic.

Follow around Teh Tube and spit some drivel about the Oline.

Take the Summer off. Maybe you can find it in you to return with some better content.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Another quality o lineman.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Theilen ran half of his routes from the slot and produced top WR numbers.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:04 am

Again running routes from the slot is the same as being a slot receiver. Not the same route tree, not the same route combinations.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:29 am

Again running routes from the slot is the same as being a slot receiver. Not the same route tree, not the same route combinations.
Which routes are you watching Thielen run to prompt you to say he’s not a “slot” receiver?

Many of the true “slot” receivers play in that spot are there because their stature and skill set don’t allow them to play anywhere else.

Thielen can play both. Bringing in another WR who can ONLY play from the slot just means Thielen will be there less, which I don’t want.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:25 pm

Which routes are you watching Thielen run to prompt you to say he’s not a “slot” receiver?

Many of the true “slot” receivers play in that spot are there because their stature and skill set don’t allow them to play anywhere else.

Thielen can play both. Bringing in another WR who can ONLY play from the slot just means Thielen will be there less, which I don’t want.
Obviously you don't want a slot receiver that can "ONLY" run the short, underneath "slot" routes. Having a receiver that can also turn vertical routes is very valuable. But, Thielen is too valuable of a receiver to put in the normal slot position. On occasions you can mix him underneath and send the slot guy more vertical, but the offense truly needs one of the classic slot receivers that can get open underneath.

It doesnt need a big receiver as teh "3rd WR", it needs a Julian Edelman clone.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:33 pm

But, Thielen is too valuable of a receiver to put in the normal slot position.
Preposterous. Part of the value in having Thielen on the team is that he can produce from multiple positions, including the slot.

Thielen has feasted on opposing nickel backs for the past two seasons.

You can do so much with him from the slot. The “V” route, where Thielen fakes like he’s going to run a deep over route but then stops and sprints to the sideline on a corner route is a staple in this offense. He is excellent at whip routes, which is the kind of thing you’re talking about with traditional slot WRs.

The idea that we’re somehow wasting Thielen by not playing him on the outside 100% of the time is absolutely wrong because, again, a huge part of what makes Thielen so good is that you can easily move him around.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:47 pm
mlhouse wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:33 pm

But, Thielen is too valuable of a receiver to put in the normal slot position.
Preposterous. Part of the value in having Thielen on the team is that he can produce from multiple positions, including the slot.

Thielen has feasted on opposing nickel backs for the past two seasons.

You can do so much with him from the slot. The “V” route, where Thielen fakes like he’s going to run a deep over route but then stops and sprints to the sideline on a corner route is a staple in this offense. He is excellent at whip routes, which is the kind of thing you’re talking about with traditional slot WRs.

The idea that we’re somehow wasting Thielen by not playing him on the outside 100% of the time is absolutely wrong because, again, a huge part of what makes Thielen so good is that you can easily move him around.
Well, that is the beauty of the Z receiver who is lined up off the line. YOu can position him in a variety of positions and motions, and run an entire route tree to attack the defense. Where the Vikings offense bogged down was they rolled the defense up on Thielen and Diggs, and the Vikings did not have the counter to take advantage. Putting a true slot receiver on the field as part of the standard offense could potentially be the difference maker. The prototypical slot receiver is more quick than fast, and has the entire change of direction routes as part of the combination. Top level slot receivers can turn their routes upfield too.

Working with Diggs, Thielen, and Smith, a true slot receiver will be a huge gift to Cousins.