Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Which veteran's roster spot is vulnerable?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Hector

Which veteran's roster spot is vulnerable?

Post by Hector »

I'm going to say CJ Ham is in a tough spot. With Irv Smith's versatility (and I'm pretty sure upgrade at fullback talent) I can't really see the other tight ends losing their spots on the roster.

What may save CJ is Kubiak's tendency to value the fullback (Shurmur did too) but is he valuable enough to up the roster to five FB/TEs from four last year?
mlhouse

Re: Which veteran's roster spot is vulnerable?

Post by mlhouse »

Everson Griffin.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Thielen.

Can only have so many white receivers on one roster.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Sloter
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Dude

Post by Dude »

Linval. Love the dude, but he seems to be regressing at a pretty quick rate. Johnson is on his heels and I can see Linval becoming more of a rotational player as the season goes on if Jaleel continues to develop.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Dude wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:50 am Linval. Love the dude, but he seems to be regressing at a pretty quick rate. Johnson is on his heels and I can see Linval becoming more of a rotational player as the season goes on if Jaleel continues to develop.
yeah would sure help out our 2020 cap situation if Johnson/Stephen/?? can take over full time NT responsibilities and allow us to move on from Linval and his $11.5M salary.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Dude wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:50 am Linval. Love the dude, but he seems to be regressing at a pretty quick rate. Johnson is on his heels and I can see Linval becoming more of a rotational player as the season goes on if Jaleel continues to develop.
After losing Sheldon, no chance Zimmer releases Linval.

I do think Griffen is hanging out there and probably the most expendable.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:11 am

yeah, not this year on Linval we should clarify. His dead cap hit would go up more than his normal cap number would be, so fiscally wouldn't make sense anyway.

But I think you could see him go to more of a platoon role, which could be good because it would allow him to stay healthy until the end of the year.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

I really can't think of any true veterans that are actually vulnerable of not making the team, but I could definitely see it for guys like Brothers, Gedeon, Ham, Bower, Collins just off the top of my head. All guys that have been here multiple years.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:36 pmSloter
It's either him or Mantooth as the backup QB. The other is gone, for sure.

Griffen is definitely the player to watch.

I feel like Ham might be more valuable than a 3rd/4th string TE.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Dude

Post by Dude »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:25 am
HeHateMe wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:11 am

yeah, not this year on Linval we should clarify. His dead cap hit would go up more than his normal cap number would be, so fiscally wouldn't make sense anyway.

But I think you could see him go to more of a platoon role, which could be good because it would allow him to stay healthy until the end of the year.
Correct. I'm not necessarily that he shouldn't be on the roster this year, but his starting spot is certainly questionable. His cap hit makes it infeasible to cut him this year for the most part, but it certainly appears that he's not long for the team.

I could have said Griffen again but I figured this might be more of a talker.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

B-Town wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:38 am

Conklin is certainly vulnerable if he doesn't show up this preseason, but I do think all of Rudy, Irv and Morgan are safe.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Hector wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:31 pm I'm going to say CJ Ham is in a tough spot. With Irv Smith's versatility (and I'm pretty sure upgrade at fullback talent) I can't really see the other tight ends losing their spots on the roster.

What may save CJ is Kubiak's tendency to value the fullback (Shurmur did too) but is he valuable enough to up the roster to five FB/TEs from four last year?
Disagree on Ham. I think he sticks.

RBs:
Cook
Mattison
Boone (maybe Abdullah, but I hope not)

FB:
Ham

TEs:
Rudolph
Smith
Morgan
Conklin (if they keep 4)

So really, it might come down to Conklin or Ham, if they're skimping on the above areas to keep more OL, DL, or secondary guys. I think Ham has proven more than Conklin. He almost always succeeds in his role. He's a good blocker, a good receiver, and a good "1 tough yard" guy. I'd take that over the decent athleticism but nil production thus far of Conklin. I don't mind Conklin's upside and I'm fine keeping him around, but if any of the above guys go, I think it's him.

I'll echo others that say that Linval could get platooned a little. He has regressed somewhat. I think playing next to Richardson made him look kinda bad, though. Linval's bread and butter is run-stuffing. Richardson free-lanced a lot last year and we got gashed up the gut frequently. That makes Linval look bad even if he's doing his job. Runs up the gut come back to the DTs.

Also, maybe Reiff. Good year in 2017. Bad year last year. If he continues downward, I don't think they're going to play around. I could see the move of O'Neal to LT happen sooner rather than later. Here's hoping that Reiff's down year was due to his injuries, though.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Griffen is the correct answer.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Yep...Ev
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Phrooster

Re re x: Which veteran's roster spot is vulnerable?

Post by Phrooster »

Depending on play Xavier
PurpleHaze

Re: Re re x: Which veteran's roster spot is vulnerable?

Post by PurpleHaze »

Phrooster wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:50 am Depending on play Xavier
Talk about overreacting. :roll:
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

Bridgewater back to the Vikings as 3rd stringer ? It's looking like it and we would love to have him. He can barely walk but neither could Joe Namath near the end. If you are good then that's all you need to be.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Hummdrum wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:06 am Bridgewater back to the Vikings as 3rd stringer ? It's looking like it and we would love to have him. He can barely walk but neither could Joe Namath near the end. If you are good then that's all you need to be.
Is the bridgenator gonna get cut?
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
dantheman12

Post by dantheman12 »

McDermott
Hector

Post by Hector »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:17 pm
Hector wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:31 pm I'm going to say CJ Ham is in a tough spot. With Irv Smith's versatility (and I'm pretty sure upgrade at fullback talent) I can't really see the other tight ends losing their spots on the roster.

Disagree on Ham. I think he sticks.

RBs:
Cook
Mattison
Boone (maybe Abdullah, but I hope not)

FB:
Ham

TEs:
Rudolph
Smith
Morgan
Conklin (if they keep 4)

So really, it might come down to Conklin or Ham, if they're skimping on the above areas to keep more OL, DL, or secondary guys. I think Ham has proven more than Conklin. He almost always succeeds in his role. He's a good blocker, a good receiver, and a good "1 tough yard" guy. I'd take that over the decent athleticism but nil production thus far of Conklin. I don't mind Conklin's upside and I'm fine keeping him around, but if any of the above guys go, I think it's him.

I'll echo others that say that Linval could get platooned a little. He has regressed somewhat. I think playing next to Richardson made him look kinda bad, though. Linval's bread and butter is run-stuffing. Richardson free-lanced a lot last year and we got gashed up the gut frequently. That makes Linval look bad even if he's doing his job. Runs up the gut come back to the DTs.

Also, maybe Reiff. Good year in 2017. Bad year last year. If he continues downward, I don't think they're going to play around. I could see the move of O'Neal to LT happen sooner rather than later. Here's hoping that Reiff's down year was due to his injuries, though.
That is a well reasoned post...I'm not sure what Kubiak values the most (I feel he will have a lot of input on final offensive roster personal) it does seem odd that Irv is known as much for his play out of the backfield as he is in the traditional TE role and Ham keeps his spot but I can't disagree and say he hasn't shown more than Conklin. We'll find out soon I guess.
Hector

Post by Hector »

dantheman12 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:39 pmMcDermott
That was an obvious whiff on my part. Good answer
Hector

Post by Hector »

B-Town wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:38 am

I think Jake Browning is probably the one going...didn't the Vikings outbid Denver (Kubiak) for Shooter?