Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Randy Moss vs. Joe Mauer

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Randy Moss vs. Joe Mauer

Post by Decker23 »

Two great players that I am proud to have played for Minnesota.

Which one made a bigger impact on their organization and sport?

"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Randy Moss vs. Joe Mauer

Post by RubeTube »

Decker23 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:21 pm Two great players that I am proud to have played for Minnesota.

Moss had the bigger impact on the sport and Mauer had a bigger impact on his organization.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:35 pm
Decker23 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:21 pm Two great players that I am proud to have played for Minnesota.

Moss had the bigger impact on the sport and Mauer had a bigger impact on his organization.
Who had a bigger impact on the Vikings organization?
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Decker23 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:43 pm

I don't know about impact but there are better player's who have played here imo. AP is one of them who comes to mind.

Moss wasn't here that long. I was a big fan when he came on the scene but slowly tired of his bitch made nature.

He's not one of my all time favorite Vikings. I don't care what guys do off the field as much as being a complete turd on it.

The first odd year's were great and then he had as many games where he didn't give a rats ass as good ones.

I think Mauer was mediocre by the way but he played his whole career here and was the face of the Twins.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

It's a crime that #84 isn't retired. A complete travesty.

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Moss had an ENORMOUS impact on the Vikings organization.

They were seemingly always in danger of local TV blackouts in the late 90’s up until they drafted Moss.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

This thread is in jest, right?
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

How about Joe Mauer to Randy Moss? Always wonder what Mauer would've done as a QB. 6'5 rocket arm, fairly athletic and solid between his ears.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:06 am How about Joe Mauer to Randy Moss? Always wonder what Mauer would've done as a QB. 6'5 rocket arm, fairly athletic and solid between his ears.
Yeah. It seems like he had tools, but he struggled to hold up and stay healthy under the rigors of baseball. I wonder if he’d have been tough enough for the nfl.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:27 pm
whiskerbiscuit wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:06 am How about Joe Mauer to Randy Moss? Always wonder what Mauer would've done as a QB. 6'5 rocket arm, fairly athletic and solid between his ears.
Yeah. It seems like he had tools, but he struggled to hold up and stay healthy under the rigors of baseball. I wonder if he’d have been tough enough for the nfl.
QBs are protected a lot, unless you're behind the Vikings offensive line.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:24 am
QBs are protected a lot, unless you're behind the Vikings offensive line.
:lol:
Hole Nova Level

Post by Hole Nova Level »

WTF did Mauer ever do for the "organization"!?!?!
Dude

Post by Dude »

Mauer was the face of a mediocre-at-best Twins franchise for 14 years. I can understand why the organization is honoring him and retiring his number, but he's relatively forgettable in the big picture of the MLB during his time.

Moss changed the NFL, affected drafting habits in the NFC North during his prime years here, and is one of the top 5 players at his position of all time.

This thread is dumb.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Joe at catcher was one of the best for that period of time. After that he was just a guy.

Moss gave the franchise a black eye, didn't last long with any one team but he did alter the WR position and the way it's played.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:53 pm

I don't know about impact but there are better player's who have played here imo. AP is one of them who comes to mind.

Moss wasn't here that long. I was a big fan when he came on the scene but slowly tired of his bitch made nature.

He's not one of my all time favorite Vikings. I don't care what guys do off the field as much as being a complete turd on it.

The first odd year's were great and then he had as many games where he didn't give a rats ass as good ones.

I think Mauer was mediocre by the way but he played his whole career here and was the face of the Twins.
Honestly, I think you never have a clue what you are talking about and just make things up as you go.

7 years is "not that long"? How long is "long"?

Play when he wanted to play? You mean other than 90 TD's and 9200 yards? I guess that is ok for someone who doesn't try.

No one was going to Vikings games before Moss. He basically saved this franchise. For the better part of a decade, we had constant threats of blackouts.

Moss' turd year was 1350 yards and 7 TD's.

You may know fast food but you know shit about sports. :thumbsup:
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

twgerber wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:33 pm Joe at catcher was one of the best for that period of time. After that he was just a guy.

Moss gave the franchise a black eye, didn't last long with any one team but he did alter the WR position and the way it's played.
Please define long. 3/4 of a decade is not long enough?
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Joe was off the charts good for a few years, but had no fire or competitive edge. He was just as likely to succeed in the 3rd inning of a blowout as he was in the bottom of the 9th in a tie game. Probably the most bland and boring super star athlete I've ever seen.

Moss was the best in the game the moment he stepped on the field. He was the main ingredient in the two best offenses of all time, both of which were nowhere near historic levels before he go to there. Randy Moss is the greatest man that ever lived.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:38 pm

Honestly, I think you never have a clue what you are talking about and just make things up as you go.

Play when he wanted to play? You mean other than 90 TD's and 9200 yards? I guess that is ok for someone who doesn't try.

No one was going to Vikings games before Moss. He basically saved this franchise. For the better part of a decade, we had constant threats of blackouts.

He was only 27 his last year as a Viking. He played almost as many year's in the league on other teams as he did here.

#LearnDaGame
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:39 pm
twgerber wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:33 pm Joe at catcher was one of the best for that period of time. After that he was just a guy.

Please define long. 3/4 of a decade is not long enough?
9 years as a catcher:

From 2004-13, the years that Mauer was primarily a catcher, his 44.7 WAR (Baseball-Reference) dwarfed all others at the position (minimum 45 percent of games at catcher), with Victor Martinez (28.2) and Yadier Molina (27.5) coming in second and third, respectively. Of all players, regardless of position, between '04 and '18, Mauer's 55.1 WAR ranks ninth, behind Adrián Beltré (81.9), Albert Pujols (79.2), Robinson Canó (69.2), Cabrera (68.8), Chase Utley (65.1), Trout (64.3), Votto (58.8) and Ian Kinsler (57.3).

Mauer is the only catcher to claim three batting titles, having paced the American League in 2006, '08 and '09. His .365 mark in the last of those three seasons represents the highest single-season mark by any primary catcher in modern history with at least 500 plate appearances.

See all 7 reasons here: https://www.mlb.com/news/the-hall-of-fa ... c300524458

I know many dont' care for him for some reason but I think he was a very great player for the twins overall while at catcher and avg at 1st base.
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

I was never a huge Mauer fan. It was either him or Mark Prior. Prior blew out his arm early in his career so the Twins got lucky there. A few good seasons behind the plate with an MVP. He got paid power hitter money and never lived up to the deal. He always took the first pitch, boring. I can count on one hand how many times I jumped up and got excited when he got a single in a clutch situation.

Moss was the greatest WR in the NFL. He changed the game. I miss the days of an explosive offense.

The only thing these guys have in common are they both played for cheap owners and never brought a Championship to Loserville, USA!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

They both had a huge impact on their teams. Mauer was the best catcher in the game when he played there. Moss was arguably the best WR when he played.

Mauer will be criticized because of his lack of production at 1st base, and not living up to his huge contract. The numbers he put up before he moved to 1st were HOF worthy. Too bad he had bi lateral dick weakness and concussions or he'd be Headed there.

Moss was the most explosive player the Vikes have ever seen. AP was a close second.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:29 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:38 pm

He was only 27 his last year as a Viking. He played almost as many year's in the league on other teams as he did here.

#LearnDaGame
Moving the goalposts. You said: "Moss wasn't here that long." 7 years in pro sports and specifically football is a long time, especially when you were the best WR in the game over that period of time.
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

Joe Mauer had no heart and never put in the work in the off-season to bigger, stronger, better, etc. and his career reflected that. If Joe Mauer was from North Carolina playing for the Twins, nobody would hold him up as a superstar.

Randy Moss accomplished something in his rookie year Joe Mauer never accomplished: Helped his team win a playoff game
"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations." - Joe Biden, July 2021
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

Oscar wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:48 am I was never a huge Mauer fan. It was either him or Mark Prior. Prior blew out his arm early in his career so the Twins got lucky there.
Maybe, one may say we were unlucky to get a guy that we built a team around for 15 years that accomplished nothing at all.

Personally, I'd trade all the Mauer years to see what the playoffs looked like in 2002, 2003 and 2004 with Prior in the rotation: Johan Santana / Eric Milton / Brad Radke / Mark Prior
"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations." - Joe Biden, July 2021
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Bi-lateral leg weakness.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Why Not Us wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:33 pm
Oscar wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:48 am I was never a huge Mauer fan. It was either him or Mark Prior. Prior blew out his arm early in his career so the Twins got lucky there.
Maybe, one may say we were unlucky to get a guy that we built a team around for 15 years that accomplished nothing at all.

Personally, I'd trade all the Mauer years to see what the playoffs looked like in 2002, 2003 and 2004 with Prior in the rotation: Johan Santana / Eric Milton / Brad Radke / Mark Prior
I don't think the Twins built the team around Mauer at all. He was a key component for many years though but it wasn't and isn't built around one player. MLB team are rarely built that way.

NFL teams don't build around one player either unless it's one of those top 3 QB's that are HOF bound. Otherwise it doesn't really happen as much as people think.
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
D_H

Post by D_H »

LOLOL

This can't be a serious question?

one guy is one of the greatest of all time at his position the other was a slightly above average baseball player

Plz child :lol:
D_H

Post by D_H »

Would have missed 10 games per year
D_H

Post by D_H »

Why Not Us wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:17 pm

Joe Mauer had no heart and never put in the work in the off-season to bigger, stronger, better, etc. and his career reflected that. If Joe Mauer was from North Carolina playing for the Twins, nobody would hold him up as a superstar.

Randy Moss accomplished something in his rookie year Joe Mauer never accomplished: Helped his team win a playoff game
Bingo

Lazy azz
Subarudrivingsnowflake

Post by Subarudrivingsnowflake »

Randy moss is a god. All I remember before he came was blackouts and wildcard losses. The Vikings became fun to watch when he showed up.

The food at D’ Amicos sucks and Moss is absolutely correct to berate them over it.