Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Randy Moss vs. Joe Mauer

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
zeitgeist

Re: Randy Moss vs. Joe Mauer

Post by zeitgeist »

I've long been a supporter of Joe Mauer and I think he was on an absolute Hall of Fame trajectory before he had to move off of the catching position. He still has an outside shot at getting in but it's going to be tough given he was pretty mediocre for the last several years. For about 9 years as catcher he was one of the best players in baseball.

With that said, Moss is one of the greatest offensive threats in football history. I think Moss had a bigger impact on wins than Mauer did in his sport. A big reason for that goes beyond the touchdowns, the receptions, the yards and into the simple impact he had on defensive schemes for being on the field, in a way that I'm not sure any other receiver has had.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

zeitgeist wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:52 am I've long been a supporter of Joe Mauer and I think he was on an absolute Hall of Fame trajectory before he had to move off of the catching position. He still has an outside shot at getting in but it's going to be tough given he was pretty mediocre for the last several years. For about 9 years as catcher he was one of the best players in baseball.

With that said, Moss is one of the greatest offensive threats in football history. I think Moss had a bigger impact on wins than Mauer did in his sport. A big reason for that goes beyond the touchdowns, the receptions, the yards and into the simple impact he had on defensive schemes for being on the field, in a way that I'm not sure any other receiver has had.
I would agree Moss had a bigger impact on his sport than Mauer did. I still think Mauer is a baseball HOF'er for his catching.

Now which has a bigger impact on the organization?

Moss in a negative way. His shinanigans while on the team distracted so much. Just think what his rep would be if he hadn't been a bone head at that time.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
D_H

Post by D_H »

Please don't put Joe Mauer and Randy Moss in the same sentence Randy Moss might be the greatest receiver Eva and a Hall of famer .......Joe will never sniff the Hall of Fame.

End of thread!!
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

Moss changed the course of nfl football. He changed the league.

Teams like the packers spent half their draft on DBs to try and limit the damage he did.

Did Cleveland, Detroit, KC or Chicago load up on pitchers because Joe had them awake at night?

Joe could get stats without his teammates. Randy needed things to go right at other positions to do his job.

Maybe in 5 or 6 years you can compare thielens career with Joe's.
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

Lol so disrespectful
Too Bad I Have To Destroy You Now
Herky

Post by Herky »

Moss was one of the best ever to play WR. Some say he was the best considering he never had a steady career of quality QBs.

Mauer was a good player but nothing compared to what Moss was at his position.
FLYING_FINN'SSIDEKICK

Post by FLYING_FINN'SSIDEKICK »

I like Joe, But I'm going to say Randy defintley had the bigger impact!!
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

FLYING_FINN'SSIDEKICK wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:18 pm I like Joe, But I'm going to say Randy defintley had the bigger impact!!
How do us as fans get the ball rolling to retire #84? Riot? Protest at US Bank Stadium? There has to be a logical way to gain some type of momentum where the Vikings organization will take notice.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan