Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

NFL in VR?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
salamander

NFL in VR?

Post by salamander »

Has the NFL tried to get into the VR seats thing yet? I know NBA has but it's not a great product/service yet.
I'd think the NFL would be all over this and they'd have the manpower to make a good product out.

Wouldn't it be sweet to watch Dru Samia pancake some poor sot right in front of you like a boss?
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Philo Beddoe

Re: NFL in VR?

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Train hard, eat your vegetables and study... one day you will be in the NFL
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I am sure once the technology is good enough where they could really monetize something like this it’ll happen.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:51 pm I always thought concerts would be a good thing for VR to get into. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard for them to do.
I think the overall quality of VR has to improve a bit over the next few years.

When that happens, they will be able to charge more for a virtual “seat”
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Let's work on 4k first.....
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:02 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:30 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:51 pm I always thought concerts would be a good thing for VR to get into. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard for them to do.
I think the overall quality of VR has to improve a bit over the next few years.

When that happens, they will be able to charge more for a virtual “seat”
I think they can do it now, but the tech cost doesn't work with the number of households that have a headset. I just got my first one a month ago. It's amazing what gaming is like with this thing. I haven't tried much else yet, just YouTube, but the only knock on it I have is that there aren't many triple A games for it. I have the Oculus Quest. The reason I'm reading for the lack of triple A titles is that the stand alone VR tech is still new and there just needs to be more VR headsets in households to justify the game development.

I'd imagine it's the same for sports and entertainment. They need to make sure they have the audience to sell it to. Thing is, they could even record concerts, plays and even major sporting events. I'd still watch a big time sporting event from a virtual seat if I knew the event was going to be good.
I agree that it exists now, and it’s pretty cool, but just think how good it’ll be in 5-10 years?

I think it’s smart to wait until it’s good enough where you could charge someone top dollar for a VR seat at the 50 yard line.

Right now, with VR how it is now, I don’t know that I’d pay to be there virtually.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:38 pm Right now, with VR how it is now, I don’t know that I’d pay to be there virtually.
Yeah, you look at the NBA in VR, it's incredible... when it works (other than the live sounds you don't get). Half the time it's just not working. A lot of places and things are trying to work real time in the cloud or wireless but the tech just isn't there yet unless you're spending top dollar.

I'd imagine this is the same for livestreaming NBA or NFL. I just think that with the NFL backing something like this, a lot of money would be thrown at this to accelerate the process. I guess the NFL isn't really in the business of blowing money. I mean, they can't even pay for their own stadiums.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

PS VR has NextVR for sports and it’s pretty amazing already. All the NFL has to do is have a camera broadcasting for VR.

Fans just don’t have the headsets yet.

The high powered VR headsets that require a PC can support 4K VR already. They just need the content to be created.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
salamander

Post by salamander »

Decker23 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:37 pm PS VR has NextVR for sports and it’s pretty amazing already. All the NFL has to do is have a camera broadcasting for VR.

Fans just don’t have the headsets yet.

The high powered VR headsets that require a PC can support 4K VR already. They just need the content to be created.
NextVR is incredible... when it works.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

DC4MVP wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:34 pm Let's work on 4k first.....
Let's work on 1080 for fox first...