Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Punt Returner - Who will it be?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
mlhouse

Re: Punt Returner - Who will it be?

Post by mlhouse »

Obi-Wan wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:55 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:26 am
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:26 am

1. A top level special team coverage player of Sherels skill and experience are much more valuable than any 6th CB.
That value isn’t even close.

2. Given his experience, it is doubtful that a rookie 7th round draft pick will be a better CB than Sherels for at least one, if not a couple of years, and the reality is a 7th round selection will never be.

3. Even ignoring the punt returning ability it is difficult to make your case.
In general, bullet number one may be mostly accurate. Specifically here - not necessarily. Why? Let me make that case.

The number strength of Zim and co is finding and developing DB talent. We are the real deal in this area. As a consequence, we almost always are deep in the position. So, the flaw in your thinking is this - absolutely, on this specific team, it's possible a number 6 corner can be more valuable than overall value Sherels brings. Meaning, a number 6 corner here may actually be better than many teams #4 and more importantly within 1-2 years may be starter potential.

I helieve that this is a HUGE asset we need to expertly leverage. Meaning, we need to utilize being a corner factory to A. Always be deeper than everyone else, B. Trade guys for positions of need as we know we can continually restock and C. Use it also to avoid paying huge salary to corners by trading them in their major money years.

Again I agree with your assessment of his value and I would have tried to find a way to get creative roster wise to keep him. But if they felt 5/6th guys were legit long term prospects I have no issue moving on. I just would have preferred finding a diff way to keep him.
If his number one strength is developing DB than why do they need to spend high picks and large contracts on them. While here, who has he developed that was not a 1st or 2nd round pick? Anthony Harris? Holton Hill? They are the only ones I can think of and they are still works in progress.
Because talent.....
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Obi-Wan wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:55 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:26 am
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:26 am

1. A top level special team coverage player of Sherels skill and experience are much more valuable than any 6th CB.
That value isn’t even close.

2. Given his experience, it is doubtful that a rookie 7th round draft pick will be a better CB than Sherels for at least one, if not a couple of years, and the reality is a 7th round selection will never be.

3. Even ignoring the punt returning ability it is difficult to make your case.
In general, bullet number one may be mostly accurate. Specifically here - not necessarily. Why? Let me make that case.

The number strength of Zim and co is finding and developing DB talent. We are the real deal in this area. As a consequence, we almost always are deep in the position. So, the flaw in your thinking is this - absolutely, on this specific team, it's possible a number 6 corner can be more valuable than overall value Sherels brings. Meaning, a number 6 corner here may actually be better than many teams #4 and more importantly within 1-2 years may be starter potential.

I helieve that this is a HUGE asset we need to expertly leverage. Meaning, we need to utilize being a corner factory to A. Always be deeper than everyone else, B. Trade guys for positions of need as we know we can continually restock and C. Use it also to avoid paying huge salary to corners by trading them in their major money years.

Again I agree with your assessment of his value and I would have tried to find a way to get creative roster wise to keep him. But if they felt 5/6th guys were legit long term prospects I have no issue moving on. I just would have preferred finding a diff way to keep him.
If his number one strength is developing DB than why do they need to spend high picks and large contracts on them. While here, who has he developed that was not a 1st or 2nd round pick? Anthony Harris? Holton Hill? They are the only ones I can think of and they are still works in progress.
It's offset by his ability to find and develop mid round DL prospects, so it's all a wash.

And that's what he talks about when he's interviewing for the job, so the team should have known that prior to hiring him. He would point to in Cinci that he had first round DBs Leon Hall, Johnathan Joseph, Dre Kirkpatrick, Reggie Nelson, Adam Jones, as well as 2nd rd picks of Taylor Mays, Madieu Williams. (Not perfectly confirming timeline on these players, just from memory.)

But he also had mid round gems elsewhere that he can point to in Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, Michael Johnson, Donato Peko, Vontaze Burfict, Vincent Rey.

Same he's done here for the most part. You're allowed to have a preference as long as you can still offset the other positions and it doesn't affect the overall team, which it hasn't.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

I heard PA talking up Bebe as the returner this morning.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Obi-Wan wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:46 am Have not had to wonder about it for years.

Diggs?
Thielen?
Beebe?
Zylstra?
Mike Hughes?
Amir Abdullah?
Abdullah The Butcher! He will poke your eye out and take it to the house! :lol:
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:22 am
Obi-Wan wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:46 am Have not had to wonder about it for years.

Diggs?
Thielen?
Beebe?
Zylstra?
Mike Hughes?
Amir Abdullah?
I'll do it!
Is this guy bothering the folks of Purple Chat? Let me know if I need to call Clint.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

OK I've seen enough of Hughes as PR. I would prefer Sherels back but he is now on the Dolphins. Next up is Abdullah? I would prefer Diggs but I do not think they would put him there.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Obi-Wan wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:57 am OK I've seen enough of Hughes as PR. I would prefer Sherels back but he is now on the Dolphins. Next up is Abdullah? I would prefer Diggs but I do not think they would put him there.
Hmm, that reminds me of when the Vikes used Randy as a PR!!

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners: