Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Punt Returner - Who will it be?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Obi-Wan

Punt Returner - Who will it be?

Post by Obi-Wan »

Have not had to wonder about it for years.

Diggs?
Thielen?
Beebe?
Zylstra?
Mike Hughes?
Amir Abdullah?
Beef Supreme

Re: Punt Returner - Who will it be?

Post by Beef Supreme »

Not Diggs or Thielen. That’s for damn sure.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Beebe will be punt return.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:05 pm Beebe will be punt return.
punt return will be Beebe.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

PurpleHaze wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:33 pm
Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:05 pm Beebe will be punt return.
punt return will be Beebe.
Return punts will Bebee.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I'm going Abdullah.

Beebe has turned into the new Hienecke, Sloter etc here.

If no injuries happen at WR or returner, this guy won't even be suited up on Sundays.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:15 pm I'm going Abdullah.

If no injuries happen at WR or returner, this guy won't even be suited up on Sundays.
I’m not sure Abdullah makes the team...

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:19 pm

I'm pretty confident he does.

I see Cook, Man Down, Abdullah and Boone as the RBs.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:22 pm

Cook, Mattison, Boone with Ham at fullback. I doubt they carry 5 backs.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:35 pm

They did last year and I think they will again.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Just hope they find someone...ANYONE who can hang onto the ball. If they are able to return it a few yards great, but DON'T fumble the damn ball!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

This is why it was foolish to let Marcus Sherels get away. Sherels filled 4 roles on the roster: punt returner, special teams gunner, kickoff returner, and 6th CB depth all for $1.2 million.

Sherels was sure handed, averaged more than 10 yards per return over his career, made very good FC decisions, and with 5 career touchdowns was a threat to go the distance. Having that type of returner back there also meant that other teams controlled their punt distance rather than significantly risking outkicking their coverage. I personally think he was an outstanding coverage player too and although I would not want him out there for a lot of plays from scrimmage, on a lot of teams he would be getting Dime CB snaps.

I never could understand the almost universal hatred for the guy amongst Vikings fans, particulalry since his 2019 contract was just $1.020 million with only $90,000 guaranteed. That is only a few hundred thousand dollars more than the guy who takes his roster spot.

This was a foolish loss. You make room to sign the guy. Then during preseason you work out the other punt returners and other CB/special teams options. Maybe, for example, Mike Hughes is ready to play and he demonstrates he can be an even better returner (and you decide you are willing to risk Hughes in the role). Once you establish options, then you make the decision to move on from an established (multiple) option guy like Sherels.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:40 pm This is why it was foolish to let Marcus Sherels get away. Sherels filled 4 roles on the roster: punt returner, special teams gunner, kickoff returner, and 6th CB depth all for $1.2 million.

Sherels was sure handed, averaged more than 10 yards per return over his career, made very good FC decisions, and with 5 career touchdowns was a threat to go the distance. Having that type of returner back there also meant that other teams controlled their punt distance rather than significantly risking outkicking their coverage. I personally think he was an outstanding coverage player too and although I would not want him out there for a lot of plays from scrimmage, on a lot of teams he would be getting Dime CB snaps.

I never could understand the almost universal hatred for the guy amongst Vikings fans, particulalry since his 2019 contract was just $1.020 million with only $90,000 guaranteed. That is only a few hundred thousand dollars more than the guy who takes his roster spot.

This was a foolish loss. You make room to sign the guy. Then during preseason you work out the other punt returners and other CB/special teams options. Maybe, for example, Mike Hughes is ready to play and he demonstrates he can be an even better returner (and you decide you are willing to risk Hughes in the role). Once you establish options, then you make the decision to move on from an established (multiple) option guy like Sherels.
Well stated.

He may be the best overall punt returner we ever had. He grew into an extremely reliable, smart and then also at times explosive return man. He was very underrated in returning punts, period.

A guy like him is also absolutely PERFECT as your 6th corner. Meaning the guy is a starting caliber ST player who if he never played a down of O or D you would want on your roster because he is so damn valuable on ST - but is smart enough and reliable enough he can do the corner job in short spurts. Long term he will get exposed at cb - short term he can cover your ass and all that same time be the best and most important ST guy you got.

Very underrated in what he did here. Which is exactly why he was here so long. I will miss him.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:45 am
mlhouse wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:40 pm This is why it was foolish to let Marcus Sherels get away. Sherels filled 4 roles on the roster: punt returner, special teams gunner, kickoff returner, and 6th CB depth all for $1.2 million.

Well stated.

He may be the best overall punt returner we ever had. He grew into an extremely reliable, smart and then also at times explosive return man. He was very underrated in returning punts, period.

A guy like him is also absolutely PERFECT as your 6th corner. Meaning the guy is a starting caliber ST player who if he never played a down of O or D you would want on your roster because he is so damn valuable on ST - but is smart enough and reliable enough he can do the corner job in short spurts. Long term he will get exposed at cb - short term he can cover your ass and all that same time be the best and most important ST guy you got.

Very underrated in what he did here. Which is exactly why he was here so long. I will miss him.
It’s a fair take. But it’s also one of those “they must have a plan” situations. Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander, Hughes, Hill. I think those 5 CBs are a lock. I know they like Kris Boyd a lot. Maybe they don’t think they’d have a spot for him. I guess they could have kept him through camp as insurance. But at the same time, they reward a guy who’s been a good loyal performer by letting him go early so he can catch on with another team. If he’s a Sept 1 cut, he might not get that opportunity. Moves like that might be partly why a guy like Barr is willing to stay here for less. If the perception is that the team is up front with guys and shows them some care and concern for them as individuals, especially those who have earned that with their play over the years, it may be a factor in good vibes we keep hearing about surrounding the locker room.

- Isaac Asimov
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

Hornets wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:13 pm Just hope they find someone...ANYONE who can hang onto the ball. If they are able to return it a few yards great, but DON'T fumble the damn ball!
Someone situationally smart too.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
hategreenticemase

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:18 am

Well stated.

It’s a fair take. But it’s also one of those “they must have a plan” situations. Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander, Hughes, Hill. I think those 5 CBs are a lock. I know they like Kris Boyd a lot. Maybe they don’t think they’d have a spot for him. I guess they could have kept him through camp as insurance. But at the same time, they reward a guy who’s been a good loyal performer by letting him go early so he can catch on with another team. If he’s a Sept 1 cut, he might not get that opportunity. Moves like that might be partly why a guy like Barr is willing to stay here for less. If the perception is that the team is up front with guys and shows them some care and concern for them as individuals, especially those who have earned that with their play over the years, it may be a factor in good vibes we keep hearing about surrounding the locker room.
I couldn't agree more. Don't mistake me, I'm not saying cutting him was a mistake, Im saying I agree he was very underrated and valuable. The debate should be, if we have a legit top 6 - is there a way to keep Sherels in an extra spot somehow? I wouldn't cut a legit quality cb candidate that's better than him, in order to keep him. Corners are too valuable. I would, however, be willing to get creative - ie can one of the corners be a backup S? Can we short one S? Something like that.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Well stated.

1. A top level special team coverage player of Sherels skill and experience are much more valuable than any 6th CB.
That value isn’t even close.

2. Given his experience, it is doubtful that a rookie 7th round draft pick will be a better CB than Sherels for at least one, if not a couple of years, and the reality is a 7th round selection will never be.

3. Even ignoring the punt returning ability it is difficult to make your case.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:26 am

Well stated.

1. A top level special team coverage player of Sherels skill and experience are much more valuable than any 6th CB.

2. Given his experience, it is doubtful that a rookie 7th round draft pick will be a better CB than Sherels for at least one, if not a couple of years, and the reality is a 7th round selection will never be.

Marcus Sherels was undrafted.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:34 am

Sure. But he made the team in other ways and now has years of experience as both a special team player and corner. The typical 7th round guy lacks his experience and would be many steps behind Sherels for some time.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Well stated.

At some point you’ve got to replenish the cupboard and go young. There can be other Marcus Sherelses out there. Maybe Kris Boyd is the next one? Who knows? I liked sherels, but he’ll be 32 in September and hasn’t broken a return to the house since 2016. You have to move on eventually and, as they say, it’s better to move on a year too early than a year too late.

It’s possible we’ll regret moving on from Sherels. It’s also possible that the guy who takes his spot will be a contributor for 10 years, like Sherels was.

The season won’t hinge on this move either way. We’ll see how wise it was come autumn.

- Isaac Asimov
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:46 am
Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:34 am

Sure. But he made the team in other ways and now has years of experience as both a special team player and corner. The typical 7th round guy lacks his experience and would be many steps behind Sherels for some time.
Yes, I get that a rookie would likely not be at his level initially, I'm just pointing out that he himself proves you can find his level of talent even outside of the draft. Certainly not the rule for sure.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

And again, the way you do this is you bring Sherels back on a slightly better contract than the Saints offered him.

You see if Hughes is healthy. Lets see if Holten Hill isn't just a flake. You see if we can find an adequate punt returner and kickoff returner. You actually see how Kris Boyd or other roster candidates play on special teams and from scrimmage.

Then, you make a decision. The contract Marcus signed with the Saints has only $90,000 in guaranteed money. Double that to $180,000 and that is how much cap space it would cost to cut him if we would have signed him.

But notice above what it would take to actually beat Sherels out of a roster space and given the limited risk it was a huge mistake to let Sherels go.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:44 pm And again, the way you do this is you bring Sherels back on a slightly better contract than the Saints offered him.

You see if Hughes is healthy. Lets see if Holten Hill isn't just a flake. You see if we can find an adequate punt returner and kickoff returner. You actually see how Kris Boyd or other roster candidates play on special teams and from scrimmage.

Then, you make a decision. The contract Marcus signed with the Saints has only $90,000 in guaranteed money. Double that to $180,000 and that is how much cap space it would cost to cut him if we would have signed him.

But notice above what it would take to actually beat Sherels out of a roster space and given the limited risk it was a huge mistake to let Sherels go.
But as you assemble your roster, if you think Sherels is not going to make it, you do him the solid of letting him go so he can catch on with another team. It’s doing right by the player and, as I said above, possibly a reason why a guy like Barr was willing to take less to stay here. If guys feel that there is some genuine care for them shown by the team, it is good for morale. I think you consistently underestimate the human element when it comes to these kinds of things.

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:04 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:44 pm And again, the way you do this is you bring Sherels back on a slightly better contract than the Saints offered him.

But as you assemble your roster, if you think Sherels is not going to make it, you do him the solid of letting him go so he can catch on with another team. It’s doing right by the player and, as I said above, possibly a reason why a guy like Barr was willing to take less to stay here. If guys feel that there is some genuine care for them shown by the team, it is good for morale. I think you consistently underestimate the human element when it comes to these kinds of things.
Sure, just as I made the same claim about Jeff Teague.

But, in the end, I simply do not believe anyone can beat Sherels out. His experience gives him huge edges as a cornerback over an incoming low drafted/UDFA corner and as a special teams player. It is highly doubtful that Kris Boyd will be a better NFL cornerback next season than Marcus Sherels. It is highly doubtful he will be a better special teams player than Marcus Sherels. And Kris Boyd isn't going to return punts or kickoffs. For a team that wants to compete, it isn't even close.

Not to change the subject, but this is why the NFL should have a minor league system like baseball or hockey. I think the thing would pay for itself in player development value. And although the NBA has just a limited minor league, the NFL is the only major professional sport were if you cannot make it to the highest professional level almost immediately you have no other options to play the sport professionally. Using 7th round CB Kris Boyd as an example, if he does not make the Vikings roster this season he will have an even lower probability of making it the following seasons (even if he makes a practice squad). Boyd may have been gifted an opportunity with Sherels departing, Hill being suspended, and Hughes injured because it iwll give him a chance to learn playbooks and get experience.
hategreenticemase

Well stated.

In general, bullet number one may be mostly accurate. Specifically here - not necessarily. Why? Let me make that case.

The number strength of Zim and co is finding and developing DB talent. We are the real deal in this area. As a consequence, we almost always are deep in the position. So, the flaw in your thinking is this - absolutely, on this specific team, it's possible a number 6 corner can be more valuable than overall value Sherels brings. Meaning, a number 6 corner here may actually be better than many teams #4 and more importantly within 1-2 years may be starter potential.

I helieve that this is a HUGE asset we need to expertly leverage. Meaning, we need to utilize being a corner factory to A. Always be deeper than everyone else, B. Trade guys for positions of need as we know we can continually restock and C. Use it also to avoid paying huge salary to corners by trading them in their major money years.

Again I agree with your assessment of his value and I would have tried to find a way to get creative roster wise to keep him. But if they felt 5/6th guys were legit long term prospects I have no issue moving on. I just would have preferred finding a diff way to keep him.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

If they really like any late round pick as a future player, then I think it’s debatable whether or not that is more valuable than a guy like Sherels.

For 2019, yes. I’d love to have Sherels in ST as both the return man and a coverage player where he has been excellent for years.

But (if we’re using Boyd as the example) Waynes will be a FA after this season, Rhodes’ contract is structured where the Vikings can save $8.1 million if they want to get rid of him after this season, Hughes got hurt before we could really see if he’s a career starting caliber CB in the NFL, the jury is still out on Alexander as a complete CB and Hill has his issues as well.

Rick has repeatedly said how they look into the future 2+ seasons when determining personnel moves, and rightfully so. They’ve been awesome about managing the cap for many years.

I’m not saying I think Sherels should or should not have been brought back. I’m just saying it’s debatable depending on how you feel about some of these young players.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Agreed, They will keep a 5th on the practice squad.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:26 am

In general, bullet number one may be mostly accurate. Specifically here - not necessarily. Why? Let me make that case.

The number strength of Zim and co is finding and developing DB talent. We are the real deal in this area. As a consequence, we almost always are deep in the position. So, the flaw in your thinking is this - absolutely, on this specific team, it's possible a number 6 corner can be more valuable than overall value Sherels brings. Meaning, a number 6 corner here may actually be better than many teams #4 and more importantly within 1-2 years may be starter potential.

I helieve that this is a HUGE asset we need to expertly leverage. Meaning, we need to utilize being a corner factory to A. Always be deeper than everyone else, B. Trade guys for positions of need as we know we can continually restock and C. Use it also to avoid paying huge salary to corners by trading them in their major money years.

Again I agree with your assessment of his value and I would have tried to find a way to get creative roster wise to keep him. But if they felt 5/6th guys were legit long term prospects I have no issue moving on. I just would have preferred finding a diff way to keep him.
Doesn't matter. On a competitive team a top level special teams player is going to be always more valuable than the 6th CB on the roster. The only exception to that rule, in some cases of a team totally tanking having a younger player with upside might have more value. But on a team like the Vikings, unless that 6th CB could beat Sherels out of his punt return role, a doubtful proposition, he would be inactive week after week.

To answer the special development question, that may well be true but the proper way of doing that is to adjust the roster count and keep a 7th CB. Reduce your RB, WR or TE numbers on the roster to create this value.
hategreenticemase

mlhouse wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:51 pm

The proper way of doing that is to adjust the roster count and keep a 7th CB. Reduce your RB, WR or TE numbers on the roster to create this value.
Gee, why didn't I think of that? :lol:
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

If his number one strength is developing DB than why do they need to spend high picks and large contracts on them. While here, who has he developed that was not a 1st or 2nd round pick? Anthony Harris? Holton Hill? They are the only ones I can think of and they are still works in progress.