Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Krammer: Kirk Cousins aiming to reach 'next level' this season with multiple playoff wins

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
cunningham

Krammer: Kirk Cousins aiming to reach 'next level' this season with multiple playoff wins

Post by cunningham »

Kirk Cousins sent an open invitation this offseason to Scott Kuhn, the Vikings’ pro scout who has the title of Director of Analytics.

The Vikings quarterback wanted to know if there was a trend — data about his fumbles, performances in prime-time games or effectiveness off play-action passes.

Over Memorial Day weekend, Kuhn sent him a summary that spit out a simple answer for why Cousins’ quarterback rating spiked last season from a 99.7 on average to 116.1 on play-action throws.

“Play action is just effective, period,” said Cousins, ranked 28th in play-action ratings last season. “You got to call it more.”

At least every other Cousins pass started from under center, with the ball extended to a running back before a rollout throw. Head coach Mike Zimmer wants to run the ball, and the offensive coaching staff is meshing a balanced attack not dissimilar to what Cousins learned during his seasons in Washington under Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan.

It’s how the Vikings want to respond to the latest narrative — finding “the next level” for their $84 million quarterback. Not necessarily by throwing for more yardage or touchdowns, Cousins said.

“The next level is all about winning,” Cousins said. “I’m pretty much a .500 quarterback in my career so far and I don’t think that’s where you want to be. That’s not why you are brought in or people are excited about you.”

Cousins was a top-10 quarterback in 2018 by many statistical measurements, including completion percentage (70.1), touchdowns (30) and passer rating (99.7). But he wasn’t one of the final 12 quarterbacks leading a playoff team.

“If I don’t play well and I don’t have gaudy statistics, but we win multiple playoff games this year, the narrative will be I went to the next level,” Cousins said.

Enter Stefanski, assistant head coach Gary Kubiak and the new playbook they hope can provide a similar recipe to how the 2017 Vikings ran the ball well, controlled clock and took play-action shots with Case Keenum.

The Vikings drilled play-action passes relentlessly on Wednesday, pairing handoffs to Dalvin Cook and Alexander Mattison with similarly designed pass plays faking those carries. Cousins found some completions, but there were plenty of misfires from him and the other quarterbacks on the depth chart.

“It’s definitely a work in progress,” Stefanski said. “At times, it’s good and at times it’s bad. The best thing you can do is watch our defense — if they believe it and the sell is legit, you’ll get a reaction from our linebackers and our front seven.”

The Vikings offense won’t be “pigeonholed” into being a one-trick pony, Stefanski said, but the first-year coordinator then noted Zimmer’s decree for more play action after seeing how play-action offenses like the L.A. Rams dismantled his Vikings defense last season.

This is the time of year when coaches throw new concepts and plays against the wall to see if they stick.

Play action is not going to fall off the coaches’ white boards in Vikings meeting rooms with so much practice time devoted to all 11 players, from receivers to offensive linemen, selling the run before Cousins turns to pass.

“Any quarterback should be getting a lot of play-action opportunities just for the nature of what it does to the pass rush,” Cousins said, “creating explosive plays and giving you outlets in the flat that are good, easy throws for productive gains.”
http://m.startribune.com/kirk-cousins-a ... 511220612/

Said everything I wanted to hear. Saying and doing are two different things though. I want to play quarterback and win the Super Bowl too, but I can’t throw the ball worth a spit. If someone was paying me $84 million I would hope to win more games than to just achieve “gaudy statistics..”

Good job who ever started the play action thread back a few months ago! Not sure which Rube, but this just confirmed that whole discussion.

Now do it!
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Re: Krammer: Kirk Cousins aiming to reach 'next level' this season with multiple playoff wins

Post by vikesbumeout »

My next level is all about winning too.

Just giving all Froobs a heads up.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
PurpleHaze

Re: Krammer: Kirk Cousins aiming to reach 'next level' this season with multiple playoff wins

Post by PurpleHaze »

We actually have a QB who can throw worth a spit! Haven't had that since Favre. Have had to rely on our defense since 2014 for fucks sake.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

PurpleHaze wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:52 pm We actually have a QB who can throw worth a spit! Haven't had that since Favre. Have had to rely on our defense since 2014 for fucks sake.
This.

Kirk puts up the same #'s he has so far the rest of his career and wins the big one, he's a HOFer.

He is one of the most accurate QBs in NFL history.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Big deal. What’s he supposed to say? “I’ll be happy even if we miss the playoffs again so long as I throw for 4700 yards and 32 touchdowns?”

Of course not.

I guess I’m a little annoyed that he even cares about the “narrative,” but it’s not a big deal either way.

He’s the quarterback and the highest paid player on the team. If they don’t win, he’s going to catch heat. So they better win or he’ll catch heat. That’s it.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:58 pm Big deal. What’s he supposed to say? “I’ll be happy even if we miss the playoffs again so long as I throw for 4700 yards and 32 touchdowns?”

Of course not.

I guess I’m a little annoyed that he even cares about the “narrative,” but it’s not a big deal either way.

He’s the quarterback and the highest paid player on the team. If they don’t win, he’s going to catch heat. So they better win or he’ll catch heat. That’s it.
He's pointing out the narrative because he understands how simplistic and short sighted it is. I'm sure he's certainly worried about upsetting the people that love the narrative, and would like nothing more than to attack him and/or his family on twitter.

Because, as Bubu pointed out, and you so astutely confirmed, most Vikings fans blame the QB almost entirely when a season goes wrong. These are the same types that call for the back up, no matter who it is, when they don't like the QB play.

Well, that didn't really happen last year, but you get the point. And of course, there's a more important part of this interview that would normally be included and bolded if it weren't Cunningham posting it.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

He’s not perfect but, my god, do you Rubes not remember the days with AP (aside from 2009) where we couldn’t pass the ball for shit. Literally 200 yards passing felt like an huge accomplishment.

Get the running game and defense ready to go.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:04 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:58 pm Big deal. What’s he supposed to say? “I’ll be happy even if we miss the playoffs again so long as I throw for 4700 yards and 32 touchdowns?”

Of course not.

He's pointing out the narrative because he understands how simplistic and short sighted it is. I'm sure he's certainly worried about upsetting the people that love the narrative, and would like nothing more than to attack him and/or his family on twitter.

Because, as Bubu pointed out, and you so astutely confirmed, most Vikings fans blame the QB almost entirely when a season goes wrong. These are the same types that call for the back up, no matter who it is, when they don't like the QB play.

Well, that didn't really happen last year, but you get the point. And of course, there's a more important part of this interview that would normally be included and bolded if it weren't Cunningham posting it.
Hahaha... I swear you are related to Cousins. The boldest section I picture you looking and sounding like that blonde dude who was like, “Be nice to Britney Spears.”

Attacking his family?

Here is the thing, when you stand up to your team and tell them franchising you (which pays a ton) isn’t good enough and now you want top bidder and top quarterback salary you better damn well deliver. If not then you not only ripped off the team and fans, but you oversold and took money from guys who are better. We are in salary cap hell now and having to make tough decisions.

Cousins lost to every winning team, lost prime time games and we went 1-13 on 3rd down with the season on the line.

That is not a great quarterback. You stupid spamming troll. It doesn’t matter if he throws for 6000 yards and 50 TD if he has the same record every freaking year. He has to win games. Win more than 9.

He said what I wanted to hear, but even his coach said the same thing.

Everyone sees that he has to win or we wasted a shit ton of money. Jobs will be lost.

Get over his stats, because they don’t change and neither does his win record. If we win it will be because the team masked his major deficiencies.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

cunningham wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:50 am

Of course not.

Hahaha... I swear you are related to Cousins. The boldest section I picture you looking and sounding like that blonde dude who was like, “Be nice to Britney Spears.”

Attacking his family?

Here is the thing, when you stand up to your team and tell them franchising you (which pays a ton) isn’t good enough and now you want top bidder and top quarterback salary you better damn well deliver. If not then you not only ripped off the team and fans, but you oversold and took money from guys who are better. We are in salary cap hell now and having to make tough decisions.

Cousins lost to every winning team, lost prime time games and we went 1-13 on 3rd down with the season on the line.

That is not a great quarterback. You stupid spamming troll. It doesn’t matter if he throws for 6000 yards and 50 TD if he has the same record every freaking year. He has to win games. Win more than 9.

Everyone sees that he has to win or we wasted a shit ton of money. Jobs will be lost.

Get over his stats, because they don’t change and neither does his win record. If we win it will be because the team masked his major deficiencies.
1. Yes, attacking his family. Do you need more info here or can you look that up yourself?

2. Stand up to your team? You mean negotiate? What a stupid point. This is a fucking business, he got the contract a team paid him, he doesn't owe you or anyone else money.

3. Please list the tough decisions the team has had to make and/or losses that have made the team worse.

4. If he throws for 6000 yards and 50 TD's why yes, it actually does matter because particularly 50 TD's would have a significant affect. Now, yes, if we're asking for that from the passing game, that would likely mean a weak running game.

But here's what morons like you don't get. The QB would absolutely be doing his job in that scenario. 50 f-ing TD's, and you think that would be a failure. Teddy has 14 TD's in a season, and you think he actually did more than the guy that hypothetically throws for 50.

That's why you're a tool. That's why you're a simpleton. That's why you're not qualified to participate in conversations with others. You should stick to your guardian, that's the person that's going to help you the most.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Of course not.

Attacking his family?

So this is the narrative you're going with now? Dumbass. :lol:
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

And this is the part of the interview Cunningham missed:

Beyond putting more on his shoulders to take responsibility for the record and performance of the offense, Cousins has been diving deeper into statistics to learn where he can improve.

“I just said, ‘hey can you get me things that jump out at you,’ right or wrong, good or bad, if you see a narrative that comes along that you think is true or if you see one that is true can you give me the numbers that back that up,” Cousins said. “I think information is power, knowledge is power. The more you can have the better off you are. I’ve given them an open door to say, here’s my number, you reach out to me if anything jumps out to you.”

Cousins said that his numbers when running play-action were consistently strong throughout his career. Last season he had the seventh highest QB rating on play-action of all NFL QBs with over 200 throws. However, Cousins ranked 28th of 37 in percentage of play-action plays used.

He also noted that the team’s analytics department analyzed his fumbles from 2018 and found he was “on par” with the rest of the league in fumbles (presumably per dropback) and that they stood out because the Vikings did not recover his fumbles as often as other teams. Per NFL.com, the Vikings fumbled 15 times last season and lost 10. The league-leading 49ers fumbled 29 times and lost only 12.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Joe, the Rubechat spammer. Try to stop quoting so damn much. You should be banned for doing that moronic thing here.

2nd, I posted the damn article and noted that those who discussed play action should pat themselves on the back.

So you don’t really read stuff here. Which makes you a spammy troll. Until you chose another name to spammy troll with.

Let the adults discuss football and keep your sociopathic trolling tendencies to a minimum. You don’t have to quote things multiple times. You can just talk to people. I’m one of the only people who even responds to you. Mostly out of boredom, but partially out of pity.

But you love when I respond and get off topic. Probably put it in the “bank” with your Cousins meaningless statistics.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

cunningham wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:40 am Joe, the Rubechat spammer. Try to stop quoting so damn much. You should be banned for doing that moronic thing here.

2nd, I posted the damn article and noted that those who discussed play action should pat themselves on the back.

So you don’t really read stuff here. Which makes you a spammy troll. Until you chose another name to spammy troll with.

Let the adults discuss football and keep your sociopathic trolling tendencies to a minimum. You don’t have to quote things multiple times. You can just talk to people. I’m one of the only people who even responds to you. Mostly out of boredom, but partially out of pity.

But you love when I respond and get off topic. Probably put it in the “bank” with your Cousins meaningless statistics.
True or false Cunningham, you didn't initially post that information from the article, and then added it?
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

cunningham wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:40 am Joe, the Rubechat spammer. Try to stop quoting so damn much. You should be banned for doing that moronic thing here.

True or false Cunningham, 50 TD's for a QB is not meaningless?
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

True or false Cunningham, quoting someone isn't spam, it's in fact how you chat with people in a non passive aggressive Cunningham-like fashion on this site?
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:43 am

True or false Cunningham, you didn't initially post that information from the article, and then added it?
Come on Cunningham, dont lie here...
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

:lol: :lol: :lol:
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

PurpleHaze wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:52 pm We actually have a QB who can throw worth a spit! Haven't had that since Favre. Have had to rely on our defense since 2014 for fucks sake.
But does it matter if he folds when pressure is applied?

When he faces a decent team?

I guess in 2017 we went 13-3 relying solely on our defense. Never mind our quarterback was ranked #8 that year to Cousins’ #20.

1-13 on third down against Chicago with the season on the line is throwing like spit.

Cousins can throw, but can he win? That is the point of the article. Zim just said he doesn’t care about practice or anything other than if Cousins wins games.

Lots of guys can throw the ball, but you need that special
something that wins games. That is why you pay a guy all that money. Washington decided not to, but we were more desperate. Yes, Cousins throws a prettier ball than anyone since Favre, but he doesn’t win as many games as Favre, Ponder, Frerotte, Bridgewater, or Keenum.

Kubiak is our only hope to win with Cousins.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:46 am

What are you even taking about? You just spammed this entire thread. You should be banned. Again.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

cunningham wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:55 am
But does it matter if he folds when pressure is applied?

When he faces a decent team?

I guess in 2017 we went 13-3 relying solely on our defense. Never mind our quarterback was ranked #8 that year to Cousins’ #20.

1-13 on third down against Chicago with the season on the line is throwing like spit.

Cousins can throw, but can he win? That is the point of the article. Zim just said he doesn’t care about practice or anything other than if Cousins wins games.

Lots of guys can throw the ball, but you need that special
something that wins games. That is why you pay a guy all that money. Washington decided not to, but we were more desperate. Yes, Cousins throws a prettier ball than anyone since Favre, but he doesn’t win as many games as Favre, Ponder, Frerotte, Bridgewater, or Keenum.

Kubiak is our only hope to win with Cousins.
Omg, did you just use Ponder and Teddy as ammo for your "winner" argument?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

cunningham wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:03 am

What are you even taking about? You just spammed this entire thread. You should be banned. Again.
My question was quite simple Cunningham.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

You do realize that unless questions are broken up singularly, you don't answer them, correct?
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:04 am

My question was quite simple Cunningham.
Added what? I added something to the article? No one will even read this POS thread now that you spammed it. You ruin this place when you do this.

I get it that your job here is to take down any criticism of Cousins, but trolling and spamming suck. This is why the old boards went under. Everyone hates a HD/DH troll.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Cousins lost to every winning team
False.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

You know exactly what you added, and exactly why your charge about me "not reading", which makes me a spammer, is false. And you know that, which is why you're not answering the question.

Additionally, your hypocritical nature re Teddy/Cousins has now bled over to your personal interactions. You're bar none the worst spammer on this site, you've been regurgitating the same stupid takes for months and months. How bout shutting the fuck up?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Of course not.

But why does he care about the “narrative?” Just play. He throws a very good ball. Excellent “arm talent,” powerful and accurate. He struggles to deal with pressure. That’s his “narrative” and it’s as accurate as one of his dimes to Thielen at Green Bay last year. Work on that and prove that you’ve improved on the field.
This is what you ask for when you become the highest paid player on the team. If you don’t want that responsibility, don’t take the offer. $84M comes with pressure and expectations. Kirk has 3 years to live up to that pressure and those expectations. So far he’s 0-1, but there’s good reason to believe that this year could be different.

8-7-1 is not all his fault and it’s “simplistic” and a strawman to reduce all criticism of Cousins to that false statement. The point is, he has been paid to overcome problems, to be the solution to an imperfect roster. Not to have excuses made for him. This isn’t so much about Cousins the individual as it is about the “Cousins experiment” at an unprecedented $84M fully guaranteed. I would be fellating him daily for his talents if he were on a rookie-scale deal or something similar. It’s about this question: “Is paying a good-but-not-great quarterback a record contract a move that brings the franchise to the promised land or not?” Again, so far 0-1. I don’t hate Cousins. He is a good passer with some limitations in the pocket and kind of a dork. That’s what he is.

Okay. Take that up with Cunningham. Well, I see that you did. Carry on.

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Dude wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:56 am
Cousins lost to every winning team
False.
Was it Philly? That was a pretty good win though the eagles were in a bit of turmoil at the time and he got helped by a Linval Joseph “fat guy” touchdown from the defense.

Cousins played okay in that game iirc. Not great, but not bad. And philly is a tough place to play. I’ll give him credit for coming out of there with a win, even if it was kind of ugly.

- Isaac Asimov
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:34 am

Of course not.

But why does he care about the “narrative?” Just play. He throws a very good ball. Excellent “arm talent,” powerful and accurate. He struggles to deal with pressure. That’s his “narrative” and it’s as accurate as one of his dimes to Thielen at Green Bay last year. Work on that and prove that you’ve improved on the field.
This is what you ask for when you become the highest paid player on the team. If you don’t want that responsibility, don’t take the offer. $84M comes with pressure and expectations. Kirk has 3 years to live up to that pressure and those expectations. So far he’s 0-1, but there’s good reason to believe that this year could be different.

8-7-1 is not all his fault and it’s “simplistic” and a strawman to reduce all criticism of Cousins to that false statement. The point is, he has been paid to overcome problems, to be the solution to an imperfect roster. Not to have excuses made for him. This isn’t so much about Cousins the individual as it is about the “Cousins experiment” at an unprecedented $84M fully guaranteed. I would be fellating him daily for his talents if he were on a rookie-scale deal or something similar. It’s about this question: “Is paying a good-but-not-great quarterback a record contract a move that brings the franchise to the promised land or not?” Again, so far 0-1. I don’t hate Cousins. He is a good passer with some limitations in the pocket and kind of a dork. That’s what he is.

Okay. Take that up with Cunningham. Well, I see that you did. Carry on.
1. That's not the narrative he's addressing. That's the narrative that you'd rather focus on here, and maybe it's annoying to you that he didn't address exactly what you wanted, but that's not it.

He addressed the morons that can't see at all past win = good QB, lose = bad QB. You consistently want to place yourself in that category, and don't let me stop you there.

2. The fact that you would be blowing him if he made less money is exactly your problem. If you want to be pissed, then fucking get pissed at the team if you don't think they made the right move.

But to adjust your happiness level with what the QB is doing based on the dollar amount the market offered? That's the most asinine, stupid statement you've said Beef. So, when the market changes, and he's suddenly not one of the highest paid QB's, that would make him better? Dumb. Real dumb.

3. Agreed, the team was 0-1 last year. Glad we found common ground.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

FYI guys, weren't there 2 record setting QB contracts signed recently? That certainly made Cousins a better QB in my eyes. Especially, you know, for a 4th round pick. My bad though, stick to the dollar amount criteria.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Beef, don’t bother with Joe. It is like talking to someone who only tries to reply with a rebuttal. Valiant effort, but look at his point 3.

Or point 2 that if Cousins made less money you would be blowing him.

Just a troll.

This reminds me of the TJack years listening to Childress go on and on about how great he looked in practice and then watching him shit the bed in games. Now granted, Cousins is a much better quarterback than TJoke, but when the pressure is applied he folds. Kubiak might be able to coach that up, but there are also multiple examples of where his coaching wasn’t good enough to overcome some quarterback’s faults.

The big thing that Joe obviously doesn’t get (among most things) is that from point 2 that yes, we would be in a better spot if Cousins was paid significantly less money. Has he watched this offseason? Guys are restructuring and signing all sorts of crap because of Cousins’ contract. That will get worse as time goes on.

And if Cousins isn’t leading this team to wins in big games guys will jump ship rather than take less money.

Kubiak might right this ship with Stefanski, and the article broke this down in fairly good depth, but Cousins has to produce wins with that salary. That is THE ONLY STAT WE GIVE A SHIT ABOUT AT THIS POINT!