Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Kyle Rudolph signs extension

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Kyle Rudolph signs extension

Post by RubeTube »

I mean what would we do without his career 3 catches for 33 yds a game average!?!

This guy is so mediocre.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Delaine Walker has averaged 1.7 more catches a game and another 20 yards. :lol:

Jared Cook has about the same :lol:

Then you compare him to a HOFer like Olsen?!

:lol:

You think the Vikings take a TE in Rd #2 if they had most of the guy's on that list?

Rudolph isn't the worst. He's been very serviceable but he's a average NFL TE. The narrative since this guy has been drafted is how "Special" he is.

He's never been that player. He could of been replaced virtually any year with a average TE off the streets and you wouldn't even notice.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:14 pm Delaine Walker has averaged 1.7 more catches a game and another 20 yards. :lol:

Jared Cook has about the same :lol:

Then you compare him to a HOFer like Olsen?!

:lol:

You think the Vikings take a TE in Rd #2 if they had most of the guy's on that list?

Rudolph isn't the worst. He's been very serviceable but he's a average NFL TE. The narrative since this guy has been drafted is how "Special" he is.

He's never been that player. He could of been replaced virtually any year with a average TE off the streets and you wouldn't even notice.
The one caveat is that our Offensive Coaching Staff has largely used TE's almost exclusively as blockers over the years.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:06 pm
twgerber wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:59 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:32 pm

What?!? Walker, Cook and Graham are about the only 3 on that list I take Rudolph over. All 3 of them can play just as good as him on any given year also.

At least Graham was once a stud. Rudy is a never has been. One of the most overrated players in franchise history.

We always have to have a overrated nice white guy on all our Minnesota teams though.

He replaces Greenway in that aspect.
Graham hasn't been anything like a stud for years. All those guys all make a lot more and most are older too.
You didn't ask about money and age. You sound asked who you would rather have.

You have him way overrated if you think he is better than most of that list.
Ignoring money fine - but stil I don't see many of those guys out producing Kyle.

I will say I think Kyle is Ok not great but the money seems about right look at the TE pool
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

Team friendly deal.
Too Bad I Have To Destroy You Now
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:23 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:19 am Still no concrete details, but Kevin Patra at NFL.com reports that it’s very team-friendly. Apparently we save $4M on the cap this year, Kyle gets a little more overall cash in guarantees, and it’s year to year after that with little guaranteed money going forward.

If so, that’s a very good deal for the Vikes.
:clap: Fake outrage! 4 years 36 mil my god fire everyone now!
Wait, please tell me that you aren't in implying that Roobboobretard is phony enough to attempt to draw attention to himself by faking outrage are you? :lol:
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:30 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:28 am Yeah if the numbers being reported are true, this is a good deal.

The “why did we draft Irv Smith” people obviously haven’t seen the track record of rookie TEs in the league and fail to understand the purpose of the draft anyway.
And fails to understand the Kubiak offense and the fact that Irv and kyle have very different and complimentary skill sets.

I have been preaching this since draft day and it looks like the Vikings agree with me.
This. Good player, good teammate, better citizen. I wouldn't have minded moving on from him and may have done a few other things differently as well, but a team friendly deal to keep a pretty good player certainly isn't worth the nonsense spewed in this thread. But considering the ring leader, it's also not real surprising either.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:01 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:30 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:28 am Yeah if the numbers being reported are true, this is a good deal.

The “why did we draft Irv Smith” people obviously haven’t seen the track record of rookie TEs in the league and fail to understand the purpose of the draft anyway.
And fails to understand the Kubiak offense and the fact that Irv and kyle have very different and complimentary skill sets.

I have been preaching this since draft day and it looks like the Vikings agree with me.
This. Good player, good teammate, better citizen. I wouldn't have minded moving on from him and may have done a few other things differently as well, but a team friendly deal to keep a pretty good player certainly isn't worth the nonsense spewed in this thread. But considering the ring leader, it's also not real surprising either.
Your obsession with me is quite hilarious. I live in that tiny pea brain rent free.

What's even more hilarious is caring if a athlete is a "Good citizen"

Maybe you should take note and quit making fun of "Tards" or whatever you like to call them.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Falen's Boyfriend

Post by Falen's Boyfriend »

I would have been comfortable rolling with the Alabama rookie. As it is, we're paying top dollar for a tight end who is extremely limited after the catch and unwilling to give 100% to his blocking assignments.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Falen's Boyfriend wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:14 pm I would have been comfortable rolling with the Alabama rookie. As it is, we're paying top dollar for a tight end who is extremely limited after the catch and unwilling to give 100% to his blocking assignments.
:thumbsup:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

16.025 total guaranteed.

Bonus money moved into this year to a 9 million salary.

Creating 4 mil cap space. Whereas we would like to have an insurance buffer for injuries. We now have 5 mil in cap space this year. Which will roll over if unused. Still this wouldve been way more useful in march compared to now.

Still yet to see the dead money per year but one hopes they were able to allocate it all into this year and next.

Kudos to rudys agent. 7.6 non guarenteed into 16 guarenteed just to free up 4 mil. If it's just 2 years still has 7 next with likely so bonuses to match at least what he wouldve got this year. So really he nets 9 mil extra minimum and ensures at least this year and next.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

mglviks wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:30 pm 16.025 total guaranteed.

Creating 4 mil cap space. Whereas we would like to have an insurance buffer for injuries. We now have 5 mil in cap space this year. Which will roll over if unused. Still this wouldve been way more useful in march compared to now.

Still yet to see the dead money per year but one hopes they were able to allocate it all into this year and next.

Kudos to rudys agent. 7.6 non guarenteed into 16 guarenteed just to free up 4 mil. If it's just 2 years still has 7 next with likely so bonuses to match at least what he wouldve got this year. So really he nets 9 mil extra minimum and ensures at least this year and next.
Only $9 million is guaranteed at signing. This is his 2019 salary and the signing bonus of the contract. That bonus prorated over the 4 years of the contract. All other guaranteed money has future timelines, meaning it doesn’t lock in until certain dates/conditions are met.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

I read that the 2020 salary is only “injury guaranteed,” so if he finishes this year healthy then the 2020 salary becomes unguaranteed
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
T_J

Post by T_J »

This extension is built in racism.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

mglviks wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:30 pm 16.025 total guaranteed.

You want some room either way going forward, not like you get 5 mil in space now and want to spend it al. In some sense, you wish they could undo the Kendricks change now but he will be on the roster down the line either way.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:04 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:49 pm
mglviks wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:45 pm

+1

Everyone wants to win now only so expect this will be highly praised.

I perfered a good trade.
I mean, I think we need to be trying to win now but does he help us do that? This year sure but the next coming year's with how cash strapped this team is, it doesn't make any sense.

I rather have a competent #3 WR who can actually catch a pass.
This is a make or break year. If they don't succeed, they will clean house EVERYWHERE.
Define succeed? Say they win 10+ but lose a close playoff game. That wouldn't be greatly successful, but would that really signal it's time to clean house?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:28 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:49 pm

I mean, I think we need to be trying to win now but does he help us do that? This year sure but the next coming year's with how cash strapped this team is, it doesn't make any sense.

I rather have a competent #3 WR who can actually catch a pass.
This is a make or break year. If they don't succeed, they will clean house EVERYWHERE.
Define succeed? Say they win 10+ but lose a close playoff game. That wouldn't be greatly successful, but would that really signal it's time to clean house?
What are your expectations? I'd say winning the division and a playoff game would be a positive step avoiding a house cleaning. If they nearly back in like they did last year and lose opening round, I would assume Spielman is out. Not sure on Zimmer though if they promote Paton he might keep the coaches in place for at least another year.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Not practicing at Day 2 of Vikings minicamp: Mike Hughes and Jeff Badet (both worked on the rehab field), Brandon Zylstra (appeared to tweak something during yesterday’s practice), Jordan Taylor, Tyler Conklin, Irv Smith Jr, David Morgan, Tashawn Bower. Reshard Cliett back today.

Glass Joe TE Jr taking another day off!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

What a game changer.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:33 am

What are your expectations? I'd say winning the division and a playoff game would be a positive step avoiding a house cleaning. If they nearly back in like they did last year and lose opening round, I would assume Spielman is out. Not sure on Zimmer though if they promote Paton he might keep the coaches in place for at least another year.
A repeat of last year or even a regression would be terrible and I'd expect to see them replace Spielman and Zimmer, but it wouldn't necessarily mean they have to completely overhaul the roster. The NFL is rife with examples of teams the past decade that made the playoffs the year after a bad run.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Oscar wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am Not practicing at Day 2 of Vikings minicamp: Mike Hughes and Jeff Badet (both worked on the rehab field), Brandon Zylstra (appeared to tweak something during yesterday’s practice), Jordan Taylor, Tyler Conklin, Irv Smith Jr, David Morgan, Tashawn Bower. Reshard Cliett back today.

Glass Joe TE Jr taking another day off!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Minicamp. :lol:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:52 am

A repeat of last year or even a regression would be terrible and I'd expect to see them replace Spielman and Zimmer, but it wouldn't necessarily mean they have to completely overhaul the roster. The NFL is rife with examples of teams the past decade that made the playoffs the year after a bad run.
I doubt they'd follow my clean house, trade players with value except the franchise cornerstones, etc... I'd do my best for 2020 to be a rebuilding year and hope for as many losses as possible because Trevor Lawrence is that good. Will the Vikings do that? Probably not.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

I get that Rudy is a good dude and a steady player, but this deal 100% benefits him and not the team. The Vikings have lost sight of anything beyond 2019. I hope they win the Super Bowl, because they've set themselves up for a trip to salary cap hell, starting in 2020.
Last edited by B-Town on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:55 am
I doubt they'd follow my clean house, trade players with value except the franchise cornerstones, etc... I'd do my best for 2020 to be a rebuilding year and hope for as many losses as possible because Trevor Lawrence is that good. Will the Vikings do that? Probably not.
The Vikings don't do things like this, because they're always convinced that they can take a shortcut or 2 and be back in contention. It hasn't worked for 50+ years, but it's gotta work eventually, right?

Stup up, Abe!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

B-Town wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:14 pm I get that Rudy is a good dude and a steady player, but this deal 100% benefits him and not the team. The Vikings have lost sight of anything beyond 2019. I hope they win the Super Bowl, because they've set themselves up for a trip to salary cap hell, starting in 2020.
I disagree at this point -- lots of players can get released for 2020 or traded. I do think Rudolph is here in 2020 too, which doesn't bother me considering he is 29 going on 30 and we need as many offensive weapons as possible.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:27 pm
B-Town wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:14 pm I get that Rudy is a good dude and a steady player, but this deal 100% benefits him and not the team. The Vikings have lost sight of anything beyond 2019. I hope they win the Super Bowl, because they've set themselves up for a trip to salary cap hell, starting in 2020.
I disagree at this point -- lots of players can get released for 2020 or traded. I do think Rudolph is here in 2020 too, which doesn't bother me considering he is 29 going on 30 and we need as many offensive weapons as possible.
The Vikings have recently been pretty good about not taking on a lot of dead money. They were the person you know that pays off their full credit balance every month. Now, they're starting to make just the minimum payment and kick the can. That's the difference. Starting next year, they're simply carrying too many large contracts. Not only will they have to release or trade guys, but the resulting dead money is going to further hinder their ability to replace them.

Stup up, Abe!
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

The team gets $4.5M in cap space this year and no guaranteed money to Rudolph after this year (except in case of injury for 2020 only). Seems like a team friendly deal also. He gets more cash now and the team gets flexibility.

Trade off
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

twgerber wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:37 pm
The team gets $4.5M in cap space this year and no guaranteed money to Rudolph after this year (except in case of injury for 2020 only). Seems like a team friendly deal also. He gets more cash now and the team gets flexibility.

Trade off
Any deal where the team makes a commitment to Rudolph longer than this season is not team friendly. They're potentially giving up flexibility for more cash to spend on a roster that's basically set for 2019. They made the deal to placate a disgruntled player. It wasn't done with the team's best interest in mind. It was done as a way to keep everyone on track to try to win the Super Bowl this year. If they win it, great! The mess that we'll have to start cleaning up in 2020 will be worth it. If they fail, this is just another bloated contract that could become an issue.

Stup up, Abe!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

B-Town wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:35 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:27 pm
The Vikings have recently been pretty good about not taking on a lot of dead money. They were the person you know that pays off their full credit balance every month. Now, they're starting to make just the minimum payment and kick the can. That's the difference. Starting next year, they're simply carrying too many large contracts. Not only will they have to release or trade guys, but the resulting dead money is going to further hinder their ability to replace them.
Yeah, I do agree they're carrying too many large contracts. But the reality is all the guys below might be traded/cut to save funds. Of course the biggest savings will be in a year when Cousins goes from 31 to nothing for 2021. Perhaps if Cousins has a good year this year, they settle on an extension to get that cap hit lowered a lot more?

Guaranteed/cap hit
Griffen 800k/13.9
Linval 2.4/13.3
Reiff 4.4/13.2
Rhodes 4.8/12.9
Smith 2/10.8

Cutting Isidora/McDermott/Gedeon/Johnson clears another 3-4 mil in cap.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

B-Town wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:16 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:55 am

The Vikings don't do things like this, because they're always convinced that they can take a shortcut or 2 and be back in contention. It hasn't worked for 50+ years, but it's gotta work eventually, right?
So no matter the stadium, the owner, the GM and the coach they always do it the same way?