Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Captain Kirk

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Captain Kirk

Post by RubeTube »

2019, the final shot
These are the voyages of the 2019 Vikings
Its this years mission
To be the champions of the world
To seek out the Lombardi
And HOIST
To boldly go where no QB has taken us before

“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Small Hands

Re: Captain Kirk

Post by Small Hands »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:18 pm 2019, the final shot
Its this years mission
To seek out the Lombardi
And HOIST

RT, I truly love your optimism, but it's highly unlikely. Not just because Cousins wilts under pressure, but I think the defense is aging, and the OLine is still sub par. 9-7 or 8-8 at this point IMO.

I really hope they prove me wrong.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:48 pm
Its this years mission
To seek out the Lombardi
And HOIST

RT, I truly love your optimism, but it's highly unlikely. Not just because Cousins wilts under pressure, but I think the defense is aging, and the OLine is still sub par. 9-7 or 8-8 at this point IMO.

The average age of the defensive starters is 25 :roll: . What articles are you reading? Whenever people say our window is closing because our defense is aging makes absolutely no sense. They had a down year last year people and they were still top 10, yeeeeeeeah they can bounce back easily. You can say the defense is aging in about 3 years from now.

The OLine went from sub-par to average.

If the Oline is average and the defense bounces back then 9-7 or 10-6 is their floor.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
Chuck North

Post by Chuck North »

Your 3 core playmakers are all in their 30's. I'm pretty sure that's what he's talking about.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Chuck North wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:52 pm Your 3 core playmakers are all in their 30's. I'm pretty sure that's what he's talking about.
Who?

The only defensive "Core playmaker" I can think of is Smith. The way he plays and at his position, he should be fine for awhile. Please don't tell me EG? They could of got rid of him this year and there wouldn't of been much drop off.

I do think if this group doesn't get it done over the next two year's, it will be time for some massive changes.

The window is now imo.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Chuck North wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:52 pm Your 3 core playmakers are all in their 30's. I'm pretty sure that's what he's talking about.
Harrison is 30
RHODES IS 28
Hunter is 24
Barr is 27

What the F are you talking about? Haha
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Captain Kirk had balls and always won the big game (and the hot alien chick).
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

PurpleHaze wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:37 pm
Its this years mission
To seek out the Lombardi
And HOIST

The average age of the defensive starters is 25 :roll: . What articles are you reading? Whenever people say our window is closing because our defense is aging makes absolutely no sense. They had a down year last year people and they were still top 10, yeeeeeeeah they can bounce back easily. You can say the defense is aging in about 3 years from now.

If the Oline is average and the defense bounces back then 9-7 or 10-6 is their floor.
I'm not saying the defense is going to suck. I think they will regress a bit. Joseph, Griffin, and Smith are all over 30. They are key pieces. They wouldn't pay Griffin $8 million this year, if they thought he wasn't a key piece.

The OLine was arguably the worst in the league last season. Only Adding a shitty vet G and a rookie C concerns me. Sure, they could surprise me. Hope they do.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:18 pm
PurpleHaze wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:37 pm

I'm not saying the defense is going to suck. I think they will regress a bit. Joseph, Griffin, and Smith are all over 30. They are key pieces. They wouldn't pay Griffin $8 million this year, if they thought he wasn't a key piece.

The OLine was arguably the worst in the league last season. Only Adding a shitty vet G and a rookie C concerns me. Sure, they could surprise me. Hope they do.
I hear ya. But I actually think the defense will be better than last year. It was so unusual seeing them struggle for many games.

Griffen is definitely a key piece but obviously not as big of a piece since they made him restructure is contract from 11 down to 8.

Harrison turned 30 like 4 months ago and I don't see his play slipping for a couple years, he's still in his prime and on the right side of 30.

Linval will turn 31 in october and he too will not see a decrease in ability for another couple of years.

As far as the Oline is concerned, the Vikes let go Compton and Remmers(no debate they were beyond a doubt the weakest links) and replaced them with a Healthy Elflein and Kline who had a bad year last year and was one of the best guards in 2017. Definitely worth a shot. And not to mention drafting Samia, a hard nosed big offensive guard.
They say Elflein was one of the worst Centers last year and hopefully that was due to injuries and he bounces back at guard. And whoever struggles at guard HOPEFULLY Samia can step in with his mean attitude and get this Oline nasty.
Lastly Bradbury should solidify the Center spot for the next 7-10 years if everything goes right. There will be 3 positions (LG, C, RG) with new people at said position. It should be a vast improvement over last year considering the players they brought in vs the players they got rid of. I wouldn't be surprised the Oline got ranked as high as #10 by the end of the season but realistically they should be ranked in the 14-18 range.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote

Oscar on the Vikes:
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Cousins and who the fuck else?

Vikings core playmakers:

Cousins
Diggs
Thielen
Cook
Rhodes
Smith
Hunter
Joseph

3 of those 8 are over 30 and they all play positions that age well.

Rodgers has already played his best ball. You need to win a title in the next three years to salvage his career in Green Bay. He'll probably leave that shithole. Maybe come here like all the good Packers do.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:41 am
Cousins and who the fuck else?

Vikings core playmakers:

Cousins
Diggs
Thielen
Cook
Rhodes
Smith
Hunter
Joseph

3 of those 8 are over 30 and they all play positions that age well.

Rodgers has already played his best ball. You need to win a title in the next three years to salvage his career in Green Bay. He'll probably leave that shithole. Maybe come here like all the good Packers do.
He's talking about our Defense and we still can't figure it out. Ole Chuckie doesn't know much about his own team so it's no surprise he has ours messed up.

#Skol
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Chuck North

Post by Chuck North »

Harrison, EG, and Joseph.

Pretty simple.

You dopes are in denial.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Chuck North wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:49 am Harrison, EG, and Joseph.

Pretty simple.

You dopes are in denial.
If you think those are "our 3 core defensive playmakers" you're not paying attention.

That's like calling Aaron Jones, Geronimo Allison, and Jimmy Graham the keys to the packers' offense.
Chuck North

Post by Chuck North »

Like I said, denial.

Those were your big guns on defense with Hunter being the young up and comer.

Everyone else = replacable.
Last edited by Chuck North on Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Chuck North wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:55 am Like I said, denial.

Those were your big guns on defense.
Meh.. At least nobody will ever accuse you of being smart.
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

The Vikings defensive starter's are good and there backups could probably start for alot of teams up to coach to make them elite
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Chuck North wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:55 am Like I said, denial.

Those were your big guns on defense with Hunter being the young up and comer.

Everyone else = replacable.
Replace Griffen with Hunter. Btw Hunter is not an "up and comer" :roll:, he is now a top 5 DE in the NFL.

There's too much talent on this defense to say everyone else is replaceable. Gedeon, Harris and whoever is next to Linval is replaceable. A lot of great players had a down year last year and it's highly unlikely that trend continues.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote

Oscar on the Vikes:
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

This topic got off track fast. Put Cousins on the defensive side too. Captain Kirk can play both ways.

The defensive stats dropped because we went 3 and out too often and especially at the worst times in games. Our time of possession was in the negative, which is never good.

We need Captain Kirk to get first downs at crucial moments of the game or we will end up looking exactly the same this year. Kubiak is an amazing offensive coach so we should be fine. I mean Kubiak did go 0-8 with Keenum, but Cousins is more of a by-the-book type of quarterback.

Cook needs to stay off the bench and we need a running game. We have this enormous contract for a mediocre quarterback, but the hope is the Kubiak can make some lemonade out of the lemon that Spielman signed for a fortune and fully guaranteed for 3 years. If we don’t win a playoff game Spielman needs to be beamed off this team.