Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Vikings cornerback Mike Hughes won't be ready before at least late July

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
cunningham

Vikings cornerback Mike Hughes won't be ready before at least late July

Post by cunningham »

From the StTrib:
With a resistance band strapped around his waist and a brace on his left knee, Vikings cornerback Mike Hughes backpedaled through ongoing physical rehabilitation during Tuesday’s practice.

That’s where Hughes will remain until the Vikings wrap their offseason program June 13.

Hughes, more than seven months removed from ACL surgery, hasn’t practiced with the team and won’t until at least training camp in late July, according to coach Mike Zimmer. The 2018 first-round pick underwent surgery Oct. 23 after his rookie season was cut short in the sixth game.

Mackensie Alexander has taken the lead this spring at slot cornerback, where he split reps with Hughes at the start of last season.

General Manager Rick Spielman said April 23 that Hughes was “a little ahead of schedule” in his rehab, however, unlike running back Dalvin Cook, who injured an ACL in Week 4 of his rookie season, Hughes will not see the field before training camp. A year ago, Cook had been cleared for full team drills by mandatory minicamp, for which Hughes already has been ruled out.

Vikings OTA observations: Mike Zimmer toying with adjustments on defense
The Vikings still have three months before the season opener against the Falcons.

“Mike Hughes is working extremely hard on his rehab to get him back,” Spielman told the Star Tribune last month. “We have a lot of good depth there at the corner position.”

Morgan ready for camp

David Morgan, the Vikings’ No. 2 tight end last season, said he’ll be ready for training camp in late July. Entering the final year of his contract, Morgan has been sidelined this spring by an undisclosed injury, which he declined to discuss; Morgan missed five games last season because of a knee injury.

He carried a play sheet in his hand throughout Tuesday’s practice while helping young tight ends Irv Smith Jr. and Tyler Conklin.

“I didn’t realize Irv was so young — 20 years old,” Morgan said. “That’s really awesome for him to come in here and play like a pro. This tight end room is awesome.”

‘Good deal’ of carry-over

Offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski has said he’ll let the backup quarterback battles “play out” through the summer. But it’s Sean Mannion who has taken every rep with the second-team offense during three spring practices open to reporters.

Mannion, the ex-Rams backup and fifth-year NFL veteran, is aided by a new Vikings playbook he says has similarities with Rams coach Sean McVay’s in Los Angeles.

“There’s been a good deal of carry-over,” Mannion said. “A lot of the play-action stuff. The run-action [plays] have been really good. What Kevin [Stefanski] and coach [Gary Kubiak] have been trying to instill is — how can we be about all the little details? When you’re sharp about the little things, everything complements each other.”

‘Prove people wrong’

Vikings defensive tackle Hercules Mata’afa is one year removed from a torn ACL that cut short his rookie season and two years removed from being one of college football’s most disruptive defenders. Now he’s trying to make the Vikings roster as a 275-pound defensive tackle. The former Washington standout and All-PAC 12 selection gained 20 pounds this offseason to better fit the NFL standard.

He’s since impressed coaches with quickness while earning an occasional first-team rep this spring. The Hawaiian native said his undrafted status remains a motivation to make the team.

“It’d ease my ego, in a way,” Mata’afa said. “Just prove people wrong.”

Diggs absent

Receiver Stefon Diggs was the only Vikings player absent from Tuesday’s voluntary practice. Four others — Hughes, Morgan, defensive end Tashawn Bower (ankle) and linebacker Reshard Cliett — watched practice from the sideline. Nose tackle Linval Joseph (offseason surgery) continues to be held out of 11-on-11 sessions.
Why do we keep Sloter if he never gets a shot?

Also, another indication that McVay/Kubiak/Shannahan offense being installed for Cousins. Even brought in a back up in that system.
weimy froob

Re: Vikings cornerback Mike Hughes won't be ready before at least late July

Post by weimy froob »

mac alexander was a shut-down slot corner for the second half of the season-with a record or close to it for sacks by a vikings secondary player. no need to worry about the timeline on hughes recovery from the injury-he just needs to recover from injury.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

cunningham wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:59 am From the StTrib:
With a resistance band strapped around his waist and a brace on his left knee, Vikings cornerback Mike Hughes backpedaled through ongoing physical rehabilitation during Tuesday’s practice.

That’s where Hughes will remain until the Vikings wrap their offseason program June 13.

Hughes, more than seven months removed from ACL surgery, hasn’t practiced with the team and won’t until at least training camp in late July, according to coach Mike Zimmer. The 2018 first-round pick underwent surgery Oct. 23 after his rookie season was cut short in the sixth game.

Mackensie Alexander has taken the lead this spring at slot cornerback, where he split reps with Hughes at the start of last season.

General Manager Rick Spielman said April 23 that Hughes was “a little ahead of schedule” in his rehab, however, unlike running back Dalvin Cook, who injured an ACL in Week 4 of his rookie season, Hughes will not see the field before training camp. A year ago, Cook had been cleared for full team drills by Mandatory minicamp, for which Hughes already has been ruled out.

Vikings OTA observations: Mike Zimmer toying with adjustments on defense
The Vikings still have three months before the season opener against the Falcons.

“Mike Hughes is working extremely hard on his rehab to get him back,” Spielman told the Star Tribune last month. “We have a lot of good depth there at the corner position.”

Morgan ready for camp

David Morgan, the Vikings’ No. 2 tight end last season, said he’ll be ready for training camp in late July. Entering the final year of his contract, Morgan has been sidelined this spring by an undisclosed injury, which he declined to discuss; Morgan missed five games last season because of a knee injury.

He carried a play sheet in his hand throughout Tuesday’s practice while helping young tight ends Irv Smith Jr. and Tyler Conklin.

“I didn’t realize Irv was so young — 20 years old,” Morgan said. “That’s really awesome for him to come in here and play like a pro. This tight end room is awesome.”

‘Good deal’ of carry-over

Offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski has said he’ll let the backup quarterback battles “play out” through the summer. But it’s Sean Mannion who has taken every rep with the second-team offense during three spring practices open to reporters.

Mannion, the ex-Rams backup and fifth-year NFL veteran, is aided by a new Vikings playbook he says has similarities with Rams coach Sean McVay’s in Los Angeles.

“There’s been a good deal of carry-over,” Mannion said. “A lot of the play-action stuff. The run-action [plays] have been really good. What Kevin [Stefanski] and coach [Gary Kubiak] have been trying to instill is — how can we be about all the little details? When you’re sharp about the little things, everything complements each other.”

‘Prove people wrong’

Vikings defensive tackle Hercules Mata’afa is one year removed from a torn ACL that cut short his rookie season and two years removed from being one of college football’s most disruptive defenders. Now he’s trying to make the Vikings roster as a 275-pound defensive tackle. The former Washington standout and All-PAC 12 selection gained 20 pounds this offseason to better fit the NFL standard.

He’s since impressed coaches with quickness while earning an occasional first-team rep this spring. The Hawaiian native said his undrafted status remains a motivation to make the team.

“It’d ease my ego, in a way,” Mata’afa said. “Just prove people wrong.”

Diggs absent

Receiver Stefon Diggs was the only Vikings player absent from Tuesday’s voluntary practice. Four others — Hughes, Morgan, defensive end Tashawn Bower (ankle) and linebacker Reshard Cliett — watched practice from the sideline. Nose tackle Linval Joseph (offseason surgery) continues to be held out of 11-on-11 sessions.
Why do we keep Sloter if he never gets a shot?
Because he’s only taking up like $650k of the cap.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

I'm usually wrong, but this time I was right when I said that I didn't want to trade Waynes because Hill has a 10 cent head and we have no idea what we have in Hughes. Now Hill is suspended and we find out that Hughes is going to be rehabbing until training camp. Nostradamus for a day, yo!
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

B-Town wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:53 am I'm usually wrong, but this time I was right when I said that I didn't want to trade Waynes because Hill has a 10 cent head and we have no idea what we have in Hughes. Now Hill is suspended and we find out that Hughes is going to be rehabbing until training camp. Nostradamus for a day, yo!
I stand by my statement, I would have traded Waynes (2nd or 3rd) and then drafted a corner knowing you had an extra pick. We have depth at corner, which you want/need but they needed to get cheaper on defense.

I think Hughes will play week 1, Alexander and Rhodes will be available. Holton Hill might never play even when he's back from suspension.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Dude

Post by Dude »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:55 am
B-Town wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:53 am I'm usually wrong, but this time I was right when I said that I didn't want to trade Waynes because Hill has a 10 cent head and we have no idea what we have in Hughes. Now Hill is suspended and we find out that Hughes is going to be rehabbing until training camp. Nostradamus for a day, yo!
I stand by my statement, I would have traded Waynes (2nd or 3rd) and then drafted a corner knowing you had an extra pick. We have depth at corner, which you want/need but they needed to get cheaper on defense.

I think Hughes will play week 1, Alexander and Rhodes will be available. Holton Hill might never play even when he's back from suspension.
They'll get cheaper on defense after this season when Waynes walks. At that point, hopefully Hughes is ready to step in. They're kind of past the point of no return at this point with their roster.

Going into this year, having Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, and Alexander by itself should make it an excellent group. Hopefully Hill gets his personal shit together and can contribute going forward as well.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Do we need him before then?
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

full force five wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:16 pm Do we need him before then?
Yes, as a backup QB option for Cunningham to froth over. You know, the bolded part of the article that had nothing to do with the title.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

But honestly, so exciting that we now have the greatest coaching staff that's ever been assembled in the history of the NFL.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:52 pm But honestly, so exciting that we now have the greatest coaching staff that's ever been assembled in the history of the NFL.
Hopefully that works out. I agree we have not had coaches of this caliber on both sides of the ball in my memory. Green and Dungy together was good, Childress and Tomlin, but Kubiak as OC when he would usually need to be HC just dropped right into our hands. I mean Stefanski is up and coming, but we saw how Defillippo began to look in over his head. Zimmer on defense and Kubiak on offense should be a slam dunk for Super Bowl. :beer:

Dennison coaching the offensive line - which he was formerly Kubiak's OC should make for one hell of an offensive line. Kubiak's kid as QB coach and Stefanski, who has been here forever should give some overall perspective. Kubiak will be up in the booth with Stefanski on the sidelines.

This is our shot. If Cousins can stop folding like origami in meaningful games we could go pretty far. This is his offense being installed - not much more we can do at this point.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Can't you just let me revel in the fact that I'm actually on point with a take? I agree that the Vikings need to get cheaper on defense, but our CB group without Hill and Waynes is pretty thin. Remember, we have no idea if Hughes is a hit or a miss. He's entering this training camp as basically a rookie who's spent the last year rehabbing instead of working on his craft.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

B-Town wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:39 pm

Can't you just let me revel in the fact that I'm actually on point with a take? I agree that the Vikings need to get cheaper on defense, but our CB group without Hill and Waynes is pretty thin. Remember, we have no idea if Hughes is a hit or a miss. He's entering this training camp as basically a rookie who's spent the last year rehabbing instead of working on his craft.
Ha, it's all good -- you aren't wrong at this point in your original take. My scenario was risky but I gotta stand by it. I think the right moves for the offseason were to clear money from defensive players and load up however possible for offense.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:20 pm

Ha, it's all good -- you aren't wrong at this point in your original take. My scenario was risky but I gotta stand by it. I think the right moves for the offseason were to clear money from defensive players and load up however possible for offense.
They are trying to "Hoist" this year, they are all in. It was wise not to trade him. The same was said last year with Barr and he ended up coming back.

Next year at this time, Waynes might be the CB we need to keep. A lot happens in this league in a short period of time.

Good no trade imo.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:28 pm

They are trying to "Hoist" this year, they are all in. It was wise not to trade him. The same was said last year with Barr and he ended up coming back.

Next year at this time, Waynes might be the CB we need to keep. A lot happens in this league in a short period of time.

Good no trade imo.
The no trade was fine with the way the offseason went. Again, I wanted massive changes offensively and the only way that was happening was Richardson, Barr, Rudolph, Remmers, Sendejo, Waynes and Griffen all gone.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:39 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:28 pm

Good no trade imo.
The no trade was fine with the way the offseason went. Again, I wanted massive changes offensively and the only way that was happening was Richardson, Barr, Rudolph, Remmers, Sendejo, Waynes and Griffen all gone.
Onky other change I feel we still need is that #3 WR. I wish they would of cut Rudolph and signed a Cobb etc tier WR.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

Brutal game......not healthy?!.......NEXT!
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
Herky

Post by Herky »

I'm glad Rhodes or Wayne weren't traded. Never was a fan of that idea.