Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Dailynorseman breakdown of how Kubiak will change this offense

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
cunningham

Dailynorseman breakdown of how Kubiak will change this offense

Post by cunningham »

Extremely in-depth piece about how Kubiak came here and how he will change this offense. Good news, he doesn't need a very good quarterback (shocking how many of his quarterbacks we have had here over the years). Cook should fit well, but our tackles are the biggest question marks in the new zone blocking scheme.

Interesting how the dynamic will be with Stefanski as OC and Kubiak as basically 1 step above OC. Kubiak will be in the box, but Stefanski will be on the field calling plays. Dennison is in charge of the run, but Kubiak will have a say as well - his son is our new QB coach. Our team has had a lot of former head coaches, but Zimmer also hasn't had anyone stick around for long. Hopefully the plays come in quickly enough with three guys all having a hand. Dennison usually is Kubiak's OC.

Kubiak has made amazing turn arounds with every team he has joined and he just fell right into our hands. Right after we hired Stef, but it sounds like because he didn't retain the guy who is now Denver's HC as DC when he was with the Texans might be why we got Kubiak.

Reading this piece gives me a ton of hope that we can be very successful this season. One would think that Cousins is an upgrade over a David Carr, Matt Schaub, or Gus Frerotte. We could be extremely successful and what is nice is that maybe we get Kubiak for a few years if someone plucks Stefanski to be HC. We are lucky!

Read the article! Great stuff with film breakdown and scheme layouts:
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/3/24 ... e-blocking
The Kubiak Scheme
There are a few key elements in Kubiak’s brand of west coast offense. They include:

Greater use of zone blocking
Outside stretch run
Misdirection plays and comprehensive play-action fakes - QB, RB and OL sell it
Multiple formations - compressed, wide, 2 TEs, 2 RBs, 3/4/5 wide, bunch
Multiple position players - FB/TE, RB/WR, TE/WR, Outside/Slot WR
QB movement - bootlegs/waggles
Crossing routes
flexbuffchest

Re: Dailynorseman breakdown of how Kubiak will change this offense

Post by flexbuffchest »

O'Neill should benefit a lot from this.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

This is also why we should not be in a hurry to dump Rudolph. Unless Conklin takes a massive step forward that he showed no signs of doing last year.

2TE sets. Moving guys around (Rudy can split out wide). Rudy’s skillset will allow Smith to stay in his comfort zone. They’re a good match together in this offense.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

Super Bowl year?
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

vikesbumeout wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:13 pm Super Bowl year?
On paper as usual, but really it is up to Cousins. If he doesn't fold and we find a way to win those types of games we could go all the way. He has a horrible career record against winning teams and nationally televised games, but if Kubiak can get the run game to produce when Cousins struggles we could be very good. Also, a guy like Kubiak might be able to call the right play when Cousins starts to fall apart on the field.

This is why I have been saying everything rests in Cousins hands. So far with great coaching it hasn't been enough, but Kubiak is the best offensive coach we have had here in my memory. Maybe a Billick or Denny Green could come close, but not at Kubiak's level. Although, Kubiak can only do so much and has had some stinkers. Keenum went 0-8 under him.

The article is very good and has film study in it - otherwise I would have copied it here. Definitely worth a read!
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

cunningham wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:24 pm
On paper as usual, but really it is up to Cousins. If he doesn't fold and we find a way to win those types of games we could go all the way. He has a horrible career record against winning teams and nationally televised games, but if Kubiak can get the run game to produce when Cousins struggles we could be very good. Also, a guy like Kubiak might be able to call the right play when Cousins starts to fall apart on the field.

This is why I have been saying everything rests in Cousins hands. So far with great coaching it hasn't been enough, but Kubiak is the best offensive coach we have had here in my memory. Maybe a Billick or Denny Green could come close, but not at Kubiak's level. Although, Kubiak can only do so much and has had some stinkers. Keenum went 0-8 under him.

The article is very good and has film study in it - otherwise I would have copied it here. Definitely worth a read!
Cousins is not the guy imo.

Farve was one. Probably the best we ever had including Tarkington. Joe Cap second to Brett.

Winner instinct.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

Or, maybe it's not just up to one guy dumbshit. QB or coach. Your 2nd most beloved QB wasn't successful with the greatest coach in the history of sports.
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

cunningham wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:24 pm On paper as usual, but really it is up to Cousins. If he doesn't fold and we find a way to win those types of games we could go all the way. He has a horrible career record against winning teams and nationally televised games, but if Kubiak can get the run game to produce when Cousins struggles we could be very good. Also, a guy like Kubiak might be able to call the right play when Cousins starts to fall apart on the field.
How is that any different than Teddy Bridgewater who for some reason you have a man crush on. He was something around 2-15 against winning record teams if I recall.

I wasn't offended at all by Cousins play last year, if he was injured last year the team would have been lucky to win 5 games.

Looking at last year against winning teams:
@ Rams 422 yards, 3 TDs / 0 INT (26 yards from RBs on 13 carries)
@ Eagles 301 yards, 1 TD / 0 INT (51 yards from RBs on 16 carries)
v Saints 359 yards, 2 TDs / 1 INT (67 yards from RBs on 19 carries)
@ Bears 259 yards, 2 TDs / 2 INTs (17 yards from RBs on 13 carries)
@ Pats 201 yards, 1 TD / 2 INTs (95 yards from RBs on 13 carries)
@ Seahawks 208 yards, 1 TD / 0 INT (59 yards from RBs on 16 carries)
v Bears 132 yards, 1 TD / 0 INT (57 yards from RBs on 13 carries)

Total - 268 Avg, 11 TDs / 5 INTs (53 yards Avg and a 3.4 yards per carrie)
"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations." - Joe Biden, July 2021
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Why Not Us wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:07 pm
cunningham wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:24 pm On paper as usual, but really it is up to Cousins. If he doesn't fold and we find a way to win those types of games we could go all the way. He has a horrible career record against winning teams and nationally televised games, but if Kubiak can get the run game to produce when Cousins struggles we could be very good. Also, a guy like Kubiak might be able to call the right play when Cousins starts to fall apart on the field.
How is that any different than Teddy Bridgewater who for some reason you have a man crush on. He was something around 2-15 against winning record teams if I recall.

I wasn't offended at all by Cousins play last year, if he was injured last year the team would have been lucky to win 5 games.

I know that I am not allowed to have supported Teddy and that today I have to preface each post that Cousins is better than Teddy. Yes, a 30 year old veteran quarterback is better than a 23 year old after his first year as a starter.

Let’s get one thing straight so that fake news doesn’t spread here. Teddy’s record with the Vikings over 1.75 years on the team was 17-11. 2-8 vs winning teams in those two years. One without a AP.

Cousins was 24 when drafted. Teddy was 23 when he blew his knee. That is why I always think the comparison is stupid. But let’s take a look at Cousins over his first 20+ games. 10-14 over his first 24 games. 0-4 against winning teams in his first year as a starter. 2-5 the next season. So he went 2-9 over his first two years as a starter. Lost his only playoff game. Fairly similar, but he was 28 years old and had been in the league for 5 years. I removed the first 3 years because he played sparingly.

The comparison is there. Joe will spooge all over this thread now that I talked Bridgewater. The guy is a back up now because his knee is trash.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:43 pm

Or, maybe it's not just up to one guy dumbshit. QB or coach. Your 2nd most beloved QB wasn't successful with the greatest coach in the history of sports.
Know when to relish in a win Joe...

I also don’t think that Kubiak is the GOAT. Much like you talk about Cousins being the best QB to come here I think Kubiak is the best coach to come here.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

cunningham wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:38 am
Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:43 pm

Know when to relish in a win Joe...

I also don’t think that Kubiak is the GOAT. Much like you talk about Cousins being the best QB to come here I think Kubiak is the best coach to come here.
He couldn't win with Keenum, who Shurmur got nearly to the Superbowl with. My hopes are pretty low Cunningham.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

There are way to many coaches on the offensive side of the ball!

Someone's going to lose an eye!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

cunningham wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:18 am

I know that I am not allowed to have supported Teddy and that today I have to preface each post that Cousins is better than Teddy. Yes, a 30 year old veteran quarterback is better than a 23 year old after his first year as a starter.

Let’s get one thing straight so that fake news doesn’t spread here. Teddy’s record with the Vikings over 1.75 years on the team was 17-11. 2-8 vs winning teams in those two years. One without a AP.

Cousins was 24 when drafted. Teddy was 23 when he blew his knee. That is why I always think the comparison is stupid. But let’s take a look at Cousins over his first 20+ games. 10-14 over his first 24 games. 0-4 against winning teams in his first year as a starter. 2-5 the next season. So he went 2-9 over his first two years as a starter. Lost his only playoff game. Fairly similar, but he was 28 years old and had been in the league for 5 years. I removed the first 3 years because he played sparingly.

The comparison is there. Joe will spooge all over this thread now that I talked Bridgewater. The guy is a back up now because his knee is trash.
You are comparing a 1st round pick that Spieldope foisted upon us with a 4th round pick that had zero seasons with AP That's not a fair comparison Cunningham.
Dude

Post by Dude »

cunningham wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:18 am Cousins was 24 when drafted. Teddy was 23 when he blew his knee. That is why I always think the comparison is stupid. But let’s take a look at Cousins over his first 20+ games. 10-14 over his first 24 games. 0-4 against winning teams in his first year as a starter. 2-5 the next season. So he went 2-9 over his first two years as a starter. Lost his only playoff game. Fairly similar, but he was 28 years old and had been in the league for 5 years. I removed the first 3 years because he played sparingly.
This doesn't prove your point nor does it disprove Joe's. You can't just look flat out at win/loss record and call it a day. There are too many variables. W/L belong to the team/coach/GM, and Washington has proven to have been a dysfunctional organization ever since Snyder took over. To pin that on Cousins is misleading at best.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Dude wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:07 am
cunningham wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:18 am Cousins was 24 when drafted. Teddy was 23 when he blew his knee. That is why I always think the comparison is stupid. But let’s take a look at Cousins over his first 20+ games. 10-14 over his first 24 games. 0-4 against winning teams in his first year as a starter. 2-5 the next season. So he went 2-9 over his first two years as a starter. Lost his only playoff game. Fairly similar, but he was 28 years old and had been in the league for 5 years. I removed the first 3 years because he played sparingly.
This doesn't prove your point nor does it disprove Joe's. You can't just look flat out at win/loss record and call it a day. There are too many variables. W/L belong to the team/coach/GM, and Washington has proven to have been a dysfunctional organization ever since Snyder took over. To pin that on Cousins is misleading at best.
That is why I hate getting into this argument because it is never apples to apples. Too little information from Teddy and his career ended when he blew his knee. We didn't know it at the time, but we do now.

I am judging Cousins each time from what I saw on the field last season and when we played him in Washington. I don't think he is a very good quarterback. That is my opinion. Can he be coached up? Well, he had amazing coaches in Washington and it still got the team barely to a winning record. Defillippo was the hot name, but that was horrible.

The inner-rube is coming out as the season approaches and my hope is that Kubiak can find a way to win with him. There is no excuse if we don't get significantly better. If we fall short of making the NFC Championship game I would say we truly need to draft a quarterback after this season at the top. Trade the farm and move on because Cousins needs to show he is worth top 5 money or we need to keep looking.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:37 am
cunningham wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:18 am

You are comparing a 1st round pick that Spieldope foisted upon us with a 4th round pick that had zero seasons with AP That's not a fair comparison Cunningham.
Wow, now you are really going off the farm. It will never be apples to apples comparing Teddy to Cousins because Teddy's career was basically cut short. At this point he appears to be a pity roster spot in New Orleans. He isn't Brees' heir apparent or anything. Unless Peyton has been grooming him for that, but the Miami talk wouldn't have been there if that was the case. So Cousins is the better quarterback. I would take Cousins over Teddy next season. For a Kubiak offense I would also take Cousins over Keenum as well due to history.

Kubiak seems to need a very refined and great quarterback to win. He has struggled on teams with quarterbacks who were not some of the GOAT.

You really should read the article though. It breaks everything down well with film study. I didn't have time to summarize the entire thing.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

First it was this...
cunningham wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:21 pm So, in that moment a guy like Defillippo has no answer. Kubiak might be able to right that ship. Stefanski can be on the sidelines to coach Cousins and run things by Kubiak in the box.

Can you imagine how much better that is than Defillippo? God blessed us with these coaches at the right moment. Feels like we have branched off of the Parcells tree to the old 49ers tree we have missed since Denny Green.
cunningham wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:21 pmKubiak is the best offensive coach we have had here in my memory. Maybe a Billick or Denny Green could come close, but not at Kubiak's level.
cunningham wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:21 pmKubiak coming is way more important to this team’s success than drafting Bradbury. Not a lot changed on the offensive line. I suppose we have some later round guys too, but usually it takes a while for them the become good linemen.

I was saying in general that I don’t have hope in this team while Cousins is the leader. I am optimistic that all of these other changes might improve the squad though.

If Dilfer can win a Super Bowl, Manning with nothing left in the tank, or Brad Johnson, maybe Cousins can. Kubiak had Manning and won. Kubiak was behind so much success in the NFL.
Because, you know, got to hedge those bets if there's an ounce of success this season. It wasn't Cousins, it was Kubiak, the greatest coach in the history of people being active.

But wait...
Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:06 amHe couldn't win with Keenum, who Shurmur got nearly to the Superbowl with. My hopes are pretty low Cunningham.
Hmmm...
cunningham wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:21 pm Kubiak seems to need a very refined and great quarterback to win. He has struggled on teams with quarterbacks who were not some of the GOAT.
Oh, ok then. You were ready to blow the guy when it fit your agenda. You know how easy it is to find the counter to every argument you make? You just have to find recent quotes from you that unwittingly lead to your own boxing. Also... :lol:
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

My God, I forgot this...
cunningham wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:21 pmIf anyone is going to make him functional though it is Kubiak. The guy won a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning - the big choker of the NFL.
cunningham wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:21 pmKubiak seems to need a very refined and great quarterback to win. He has struggled on teams with quarterbacks who were not some of the GOAT.
You were saying (you contradicted yourself in this most recent hedge betting episode)?

:lol: :lol: :lol: