Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Forbes: Cousins' Confidence Level and Execution Must Improve in 2019

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Beef Supreme

Re: Forbes: Cousins' Confidence Level and Execution Must Improve in 2019

Post by Beef Supreme »

Dude wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:48 am
cunningham wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:15 pm When I was looking for a Spielman quote I read through a lot of articles. I googled “Vikings Cousins super bowl” and there were a shit ton of old articles discussing how he was the missing link to the Super Bowl. Players and the media. And yet Spielman tiptoes as he does in that interview like a lawyer.

There were a ton of articles about this past season saying exactly what I have been saying. And a lot of what you (the Dude/Joe/Ash camp) have been saying as well.

People have a really hard time explaining why Cousins struggles to win. In an article out of Seattle there was a ton of stuff. The dropping back or 7 DBs and how that shut our team down and confused Cousins. To back up what you have said that would make you guys are saying we had something seriously wrong with our run game. They saw some stuff on film right down to that blocked kick. Pete said we were a good team, but something was on film. We got out coached. One offense, Cousins, and Special Teams.

At one point there was a discussion in one article about how our run game was bland and fairly easy to stop. Another that Defillippo didn’t have enough experience, but had coached Foles and Wentz so well. There was talk of him being a head coach.

There was a piece that talked about Flip’s offense and Cousins fitting, but earlier in the process he said he only knew of Cousins from college giving a speech. They interviewed our quarterbacks and some others for the position.

In video interviews Rick is ecstatic and selling Cousins up. But again, he talks like a lawyer and knows how to spread it around. He takes credit for Zimmer too though.

Another article said that if Rick didn’t draft a linemen someone like his wife or something was gonna lock him out of the house.

I don’t know. I saw something go down last season and it stunk. I didn’t think it was just a weak line. The running game was horrible and Cook continued to be injured. That Rams game was big, but watching it again reminded me how hopeless this team was. Sputtering and flashes, but not very good.

It didn’t give me a lot of confidence in the squad, but Stef has been here a long time. I am kind of more optimistic about the offense with him and Kubiak. And as Dude said, Manning was one of the worst quarterbacks when he won the Super Bowl, or was it someone else saying Manning had the most yards when games were too far lost? Either way Kubiak played a role in winning with a broken Manning.

We could do it, but people really need to stfu about Cousins being a worth the money or even a very good quarterback. Something is messed up with his game. He gets erratic and frazzled fairly easily. Getting in his head doesn’t take much at all. Probably how Joe’s head is, but Joe is crazy, Kirk is just fragile minded.

It came up in a lot of articles about Cousins being someone who doesn’t let the lows get to him, how he liked that tiff with Adam on the sidelines, but it didn’t really seem believable the way people were writing about it.

We will be a fragile team that needs an amazing defense and coaching on offense. This is a total rebuild with the Shannahan system installation. Kind of like what Denver did.
This is the the problem... I know the media portrayed him as "the missing piece." His teammates did as well. Spielman never did. Lawyer speak or not, it's something that never happened but you literally posted that and attributed it as an actual quote from him.

You do this shit all the time. For example, your "garbage time" take is completely unfounded but you continually throw it out there as fact. You dismiss Peterson's impact on the success of the 2016 Vikings while also ignoring the complete ineptitude of the running game last year even though it's very clear that it was a huge impact on the outcome of each of those seasons.

There's plenty of things that Cousins and Spielman should be called out for. There's no reason to make things up.
His 72 yards and 0 TDs really contributed to the "success" of the 8-8 Vikings in 2016, eh?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Fair enough. Sometimes different people jump in and it gets skewed. Then if I take a stand the argument can go off in certain directions. From what I watched it felt like Cousins was Spielman’s choice. Reading stuff it was more conjecture than anything coming from him.

AP was the biggest piece of ‘16 and the team was built around him. He also was the highest paid player. He seemed to not get the blame either in his day though. We lost to New Orleans more so because AP fumbled like 3 times, but Favre or Childress and the 12th man usually take the blame. For some reason with Cousins he escapes the blame as well. The Packers game is a prime example. The kicker got fired, but had that pick-6 not come back that would have been a loss. Had Keenum not hit Diggs in the miracle he’d be remembered much differently too.

The running game was a major issue. Hopefully that was Defillippo. My only thing is when I go down that route I look back at Washington and who Cousins had as coaches and he had fairly similar stats throughout the years. Kubiak is from that branch or tree and it gives me a ton of hope that he can coach Cousins up.

I bought into the hype all last off-season that Kirk would finally solidify the quarterback position, but in my mind he didn’t. The question mark is still there and now we feel totally locked in. Which moves me toward Spielman and how frustrated I am that he has forced me to sit through the development of these quarterbacks year after year. But Cousins isn’t supposed to be a developmental guy. He is supposed to be a veteran and Spielman said, the best free agent quarterback to hit the open market since Brees. That is a pretty high comparison.

I’m frustrated. So many years watching this team, but my hope died in that last game of last season. This team has a ton to prove in my mind. In my mind a veteran quarterback being paid $84 million delivers that win against Chicago. That is why we brought him in. 1-11 on 3rd down though...

I guess most fans still have their hope in this team led by Cousins, but I just don’t. I come here to try to get some hope back, and I must say I do have more than when the season ended, but I have moved into extremely cautiously optimistic.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

cunningham wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:17 am I guess most fans still have their hope in this team led by Cousins, but I just don’t. I come here to try to get some hope back, and I must say I do have more than when the season ended, but I have moved into extremely cautiously optimistic.
So wait, you don’t have hope or are you cautiously optimistic?

Really the only logical take on the situation is to say that Cousins needs to be better in 2019, and on paper the OL seems to be better than in 2018, which will open up the running game, which will help Cousins and the offense overall.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

cunningham wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:17 am Fair enough. Sometimes different people jump in and it gets skewed. Then if I take a stand the argument can go off in certain directions. From what I watched it felt like Cousins was Spielman’s choice. Reading stuff it was more conjecture than anything coming from him.

AP was the biggest piece of ‘16 and the team was built around him. He also was the highest paid player. He seemed to not get the blame either in his day though. We lost to New Orleans more so because AP fumbled like 3 times, but Favre or Childress and the 12th man usually take the blame. For some reason with Cousins he escapes the blame as well. The Packers game is a prime example. The kicker got fired, but had that pick-6 not come back that would have been a loss. Had Keenum not hit Diggs in the miracle he’d be remembered much differently too.

The running game was a major issue. Hopefully that was Defillippo. My only thing is when I go down that route I look back at Washington and who Cousins had as coaches and he had fairly similar stats throughout the years. Kubiak is from that branch or tree and it gives me a ton of hope that he can coach Cousins up.

I bought into the hype all last off-season that Kirk would finally solidify the quarterback position, but in my mind he didn’t. The question mark is still there and now we feel totally locked in. Which moves me toward Spielman and how frustrated I am that he has forced me to sit through the development of these quarterbacks year after year. But Cousins isn’t supposed to be a developmental guy. He is supposed to be a veteran and Spielman said, the best free agent quarterback to hit the open market since Brees. That is a pretty high comparison.

I’m frustrated. So many years watching this team, but my hope died in that last game of last season. This team has a ton to prove in my mind. In my mind a veteran quarterback being paid $84 million delivers that win against Chicago. That is why we brought him in. 1-11 on 3rd down though...

I guess most fans still have their hope in this team led by Cousins, but I just don’t. I come here to try to get some hope back, and I must say I do have more than when the season ended, but I have moved into extremely cautiously optimistic.
cunningham wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:11 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:50 pm
Do you understand the difference between saying “it’s not all on Kirk” and saying “Kirk deserves zero blame?”

I’m asking this honestly, and only looking for a yes or no answer.
Yes.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:39 am
cunningham wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:17 am I guess most fans still have their hope in this team led by Cousins, but I just don’t. I come here to try to get some hope back, and I must say I do have more than when the season ended, but I have moved into extremely cautiously optimistic.

Really the only logical take on the situation is to say that Cousins needs to be better in 2019, and on paper the OL seems to be better than in 2018, which will open up the running game, which will help Cousins and the offense overall.
Kubiak coming is way more important to this team’s success than drafting Bradbury. Not a lot changed on the offensive line. I suppose we have some later round guys too, but usually it takes a while for them the become good linemen.

I was saying in general that I don’t have hope in this team while Cousins is the leader. I am optimistic that all of these other changes might improve the squad though.

If Dilfer can win a Super Bowl, Manning with nothing left in the tank, or Brad Johnson, maybe Cousins can. Kubiak had Manning and won. Kubiak was behind so much success in the NFL. We scored the biggest win by landing him. Assistant head coach. His son.

It is like the dream team of coaching with Zim on defense and Kubiak/Stef on offense. Kubiak has struggled with inferior quarterbacks though. He has worked with the absolute best to ever play the game. Young, Elway, Manning.

Next draft it would be great for this franchise to draft a quarterback and let the Kubiak Kabbalah train one in. That would be a great long term legacy. Like George Stewart leaving us Diggs and Thielen.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:40 am
cunningham wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:15 pm When I was looking for a Spielman quote I read through a lot of articles. I googled “Vikings Cousins super bowl” and there were a shit ton of old articles discussing how he was the missing link to the Super Bowl. Players and the media. And yet Spielman tiptoes as he does in that interview like a lawyer.

There were a ton of articles about this past season saying exactly what I have been saying. And a lot of what you (the Dude/Joe/Ash camp) have been saying as well.

People have a really hard time explaining why Cousins struggles to win. In an article out of Seattle there was a ton of stuff. The dropping back or 7 DBs and how that shut our team down and confused Cousins. To back up what you have said that would make you guys are saying we had something seriously wrong with our run game. They saw some stuff on film right down to that blocked kick. Pete said we were a good team, but something was on film. We got out coached. One offense, Cousins, and Special Teams.

At one point there was a discussion in one article about how our run game was bland and fairly easy to stop. Another that Defillippo didn’t have enough experience, but had coached Foles and Wentz so well. There was talk of him being a head coach.

There was a piece that talked about Flip’s offense and Cousins fitting, but earlier in the process he said he only knew of Cousins from college giving a speech. They interviewed our quarterbacks and some others for the position.

In video interviews Rick is ecstatic and selling Cousins up. But again, he talks like a lawyer and knows how to spread it around. He takes credit for Zimmer too though.

Another article said that if Rick didn’t draft a linemen someone like his wife or something was gonna lock him out of the house.

I don’t know. I saw something go down last season and it stunk. I didn’t think it was just a weak line. The running game was horrible and Cook continued to be injured. That Rams game was big, but watching it again reminded me how hopeless this team was. Sputtering and flashes, but not very good.

It didn’t give me a lot of confidence in the squad, but Stef has been here a long time. I am kind of more optimistic about the offense with him and Kubiak. And as Dude said, Manning was one of the worst quarterbacks when he won the Super Bowl, or was it someone else saying Manning had the most yards when games were too far lost? Either way Kubiak played a role in winning with a broken Manning.

We could do it, but people really need to stfu about Cousins being a worth the money or even a very good quarterback. Something is messed up with his game. He gets erratic and frazzled fairly easily. Getting in his head doesn’t take much at all. Probably how Joe’s head is, but Joe is crazy, Kirk is just fragile minded.

It came up in a lot of articles about Cousins being someone who doesn’t let the lows get to him, how he liked that tiff with Adam on the sidelines, but it didn’t really seem believable the way people were writing about it.

We will be a fragile team that needs an amazing defense and coaching on offense. This is a total rebuild with the Shannahan system installation. Kind of like what Denver did.
This is the the problem... I know the media portrayed him as "the missing piece." His teammates did as well. Spielman never did. Lawyer speak or not, it's something that never happened but you literally posted that and attributed it as an actual quote from him.

You do this shit all the time. For example, your "garbage time" take is completely unfounded but you continually throw it out there as fact. You dismiss Peterson's impact on the success of the 2016 Vikings while also ignoring the complete ineptitude of the running game last year even though it's very clear that it was a huge impact on the outcome of each of those seasons.

There's plenty of things that Cousins and Spielman should be called out for. There's no reason to make things up.
His 72 yards and 0 TDs really contributed to the "success" of the 8-8 Vikings in 2016, eh?
You know damn well I meant 2015. I thought you were better than this. What happened to you man?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Dude wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:43 pm

You know damn well I meant 2015. I thought you were better than this. What happened to you man?
Lighten up, Francis. :lol:

- Isaac Asimov
Dude

Post by Dude »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:45 pm

Touche'. I figured you were serious. My bad.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Dude wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:09 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:45 pm

Touche'. I figured you were serious. My bad.
I could/should have thrown in one of these: ;)

- Isaac Asimov
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

cunningham wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:56 am

Kubiak coming is way more important to this team’s success than drafting Bradbury. Not a lot changed on the offensive line. I suppose we have some later round guys too, but usually it takes a while for them the become good linemen.

I was saying in general that I don’t have hope in this team while Cousins is the leader. I am optimistic that all of these other changes might improve the squad though.

If Dilfer can win a Super Bowl, Manning with nothing left in the tank, or Brad Johnson, maybe Cousins can. Kubiak had Manning and won. Kubiak was behind so much success in the NFL. We scored the biggest win by landing him. Assistant head coach. His son.

It is like the dream team of coaching with Zim on defense and Kubiak/Stef on offense. Kubiak has struggled with inferior quarterbacks though. He has worked with the absolute best to ever play the game. Young, Elway, Manning.

Next draft it would be great for this franchise to draft a quarterback and let the Kubiak Kabbalah train one in. That would be a great long term legacy. Like George Stewart leaving us Diggs and Thielen.
I think you underestimate how much better the OL can be.

Compton and Remmers were so bad that even if Bradbury, Kline and Elflein aren’t world beaters, if they are just average, the OL will be much better on the interior. Improvement doesn’t have to mean bringing in Hall of Fame caliber players.

I agree, I’m excited about Kubiak and Dennison. More so for their emphasis on the running game and blocking schemes because I think Dalvin Cook is a great fit for that one-cut system.

And regarding the QB, if Cousins struggles this season, I’m all for drafting a QB in the first round of the 2020 draft, especially if you can get one of the special QBs (Fram or Tua) somehow.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

RIP THAT CORD YOU STRONG ARMED STUD!!

KDC!! KDC!! KDC!!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:48 pm

Compton and Remmers were so bad that even if Bradbury, Kline and Elflein aren’t world beaters, if they are just average, the OL will be much better on the interior. Improvement doesn’t have to mean bringing in Hall of Fame caliber players.

I agree, I’m excited about Kubiak and Dennison. More so for their emphasis on the running game and blocking schemes because I think Dalvin Cook is a great fit for that one-cut system.

And regarding the QB, if Cousins struggles this season, I’m all for drafting a QB in the first round of the 2020 draft, especially if you can get one of the special QBs (Fram or Tua) somehow.
The more I read about Kubiak the more Rube is coming out in me. I still am bitter and probably pissed off about our continued wait for a franchise quarterback, but Kubiak gives me hope. In looking at his “tree” of quarterbacks it is amazing how many have made their way through this neck of the woods. Keenum went 0-8 in Kubiak’s time, and in a round about way his crappy play led to him ending up here. Ironically, but then Keenum went to Denver and flopped in his system again.

In a way the system ran by Kubiak seems to fit Cousins way better than a Keenum. Sounds like you need more discipline, which I would think suits Cousins better.

Dennison was Kubiak’s guy and will make this line better than last year. Looking at this signing begins to make one scratch their head why we ever went after Defillippo, but Stefanski alone would have been difficult enough. We basically got a Super Bowl winning offensive staff to compliment Kubiak. Wade Phillip’s is a damn fine defensive mind as well. This is the best coaching staff in the NFL on paper. There really are no excuses except for implementation of their system and taking time to adjust.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

cunningham wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:49 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:48 pm

The more I read about Kubiak the more Rube is coming out in me. I still am bitter and probably pissed off about our continued wait for a franchise quarterback, but Kubiak gives me hope. In looking at his “tree” of quarterbacks it is amazing how many have made their way through this neck of the woods. Keenum went 0-8 in Kubiak’s time, and in a round about way his crappy play led to him ending up here. Ironically, but then Keenum went to Denver and flopped in his system again.

In a way the system ran by Kubiak seems to fit Cousins way better than a Keenum. Sounds like you need more discipline, which I would think suits Cousins better.

Dennison was Kubiak’s guy and will make this line better than last year. Looking at this signing begins to make one scratch their head why we ever went after Defillippo, but Stefanski alone would have been difficult enough. We basically got a Super Bowl winning offensive staff to compliment Kubiak. Wade Phillip’s is a damn fine defensive mind as well. This is the best coaching staff in the NFL on paper. There really are no excuses except for implementation of their system and taking time to adjust.
You don't need to wait for a franchise qb! We might have one in Cousins if you take your blinders off.

Look at what Keenum had in 2017:
Running game
Above average Play-Calling in Shurmur
Wrs
Defense
Mediocre at best OL

Look at what Cousins had last year:
Wrs
and that's it!
Defense was suspect
Oline was far worse
No running game
Horrible play calling

The defense gave up 100 MORE points than they did in 2017! 100! I mean seriously, 100 more fucking points!!!!!!

I'm telling ya man, take those damn blinders off! It's impeding your judgement.

Did I mention the defense gave up 100 MORE points in 2018 than 2017? Pretty fucking massive difference!
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

It is at Bills game, Seattle, and Chicago games that scare the crap out of me. What I saw in those three games made me understand why Washington couldn’t decide, but ultimately parted with Cousins. When he was shut down by those defenses he collapsed. By the time he snapped out of it it was way too late. There were times in those three games where he could have changed the momentum, but he truly wasn’t up to the task. 1-11 versus Bears.

So, in that moment a guy like Defillippo has no answer. Kubiak might be able to right that ship. Stefanski can be on the sidelines to coach Cousins and run things by Kubiak in the box.

Can you imagine how much better that is than Defillippo? God blessed us with these coaches at the right moment. Feels like we have branched off of the Parcells tree to the old 49ers tree we have missed since Denny Green.

All that was done to get Cousins to succeed, but.

Do the shadows creep into Kirk Cousins? Big games he folds. Kubiak has dealt with that. He just brings so much experience. More than Turner and light years above Shurmur or Defillippo.

I’ve accepted this philosophy of how we will win. Granted I am still pissed off we have a bed wetter for a quarterback that costs a fortune, but maybe we can win with that. Running game is essential for this to work. Cook off the bench, that new guy, Ham outside.

Look at the Super Bowl, Quarterback don’t mean shit.
Thor11

Post by Thor11 »

Pretty much sums it all up. Desperate moves rarely yield good results.

https://www.12up.com/posts/vikings-work ... ners/40920
Life is on the wire...the rest is just waiting.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Thor11 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:17 pm Pretty much sums it all up. Desperate moves rarely yield good results.

Desperate move? The Vikings had just gone 13-3. It was called a "Upgrade"

I see most of the Cousins haters are already in fear of the greatbyear he is going to have and starting their "Kubiak is god" articles.

You can be sure they will never credit Cousins for anything this year.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Thor11

Post by Thor11 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:19 pm
Thor11 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:17 pm Pretty much sums it all up. Desperate moves rarely yield good results.

Desperate move? The Vikings had just gone 13-3. It was called a "aUpgrade"

I see most of the Cousins haters are already in fear of the greatbyear he is going to have and starting their "Kubiak is god" articles.

Exactly...desperate. When you go 13-3 and overpay for an overrated qb. What part of that don't you understand?

If they stayed with Keenum last year and went 6 -10 trying to repeat the magic season of the year before... so be it . Nick Foles would be our QB this year.

When the dust clears after this 3 year waste of $84 m....you Cousins ball washers will be exposed.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Thor11 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:13 pm

Exactly...desperate. When you go 13-3 and overpay for an overrated qb. What part of that don't you understand?

If they stayed with Keenum last year and went 6 -10 trying to repeat the magic season of the year before... so be it . Nick Foles would be our QB this year.

When the dust clears after this 3 year waste of $84 m....you Cousins ball washers will be exposed.
Ya, I really want Nick Foles :lol:

The Jags will be regretting that move about as quick as Denver was for Clueless Keenum.

#KDC

#Hoist
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Pretty simple...the part that when you were unable to use the term "desperate" correctly.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:15 pm

The Jags will be regretting that move about as quick as Denver was for Clueless Keenum.

#KDC

#Hoist
It's ok Tube, Thor's very underwhelming superpower is "needing a dictionary". FFS, if it wasn't for Beef, the collective IQ of these Cousins trolls wouldn't approach the Personal Care Attendant level.
Thor11

Post by Thor11 »

Yep..the same Nick Foles who carved up our D in the NFC championship game and earned a Lombardi....yeah, that shitty Nick Foles.

Really hope chemical dependency or cerebral maladys arn't causing you these difficulties.
Last edited by Thor11 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:25 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:15 pm

#KDC

#Hoist
It's ok Tube, Thor's very underwhelming superpower is "needing a dictionary". FFS, if it wasn't for Beef, the collective IQ of these Cousins trolls wouldn't approach the Personal Care Attendant level.
:thumbsup:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Thor11

Post by Thor11 »

As usual and in a timely fashion, Joe posting his typical girly sarcasm while adding nothing to the conversation. Nothing new here. Yawn...
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Thor11 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:35 pm As usual and in a timely fashion, Joe posting his typical girly sarcasm while adding nothing to the conversation. Nothing new here. Yawn...
Aw, it's ok Thor, maybe next time ask one of your ESL buddies who are a bit further along in the programming to help you out?
Thor11

Post by Thor11 »

And that means what Joe????

You add NOTHING to the conversation just like your buddy Cousins will add nothing good ultimately for this team.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Thor11 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:49 pm And that means what Joe????

You add NOTHING to the conversation just like your buddy Cousins will add nothing good ultimately for this team.
While you're at it, maybe ask one of them to explain to you why it's absolutely right on topic to say you clearly don't understand a term you just used. Unless you had a different agenda other than saying the team was desparate?