Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Dru Samia an underrated gem

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Keith_Morrison

Dru Samia an underrated gem

Post by Keith_Morrison »

Good article.
Minnesota Vikings fourth-round selection Dru Samia can make an immediate impact up front.

https://nflmocks.com/2019/05/19/minneso ... dru-samia/

The Minnesota Vikings are one of the most purely talented teams in the entire NFL. They have done a great job of building this team with impact talent on both sides of the ball and could quickly become a legitimate Super Bowl contender with a lucky break or two.

That being said, the offensive line stands out as an obvious area of concern for this team. The Vikings struggled to protect quarterback Kirk Cousins last season and were not able to consistently open up holes in the running game. The offensive line stood out as their top need entering the 2019 NFL Draft and the Vikings did a nice job of addressing the position.

The selection of Garrett Bradbury in the first round will obviously help. Bradbury is the best interior offensive lineman in this draft class and should immediately solidify the center position for the Minnesota Vikings. That being said, Bradbury was not the only impact offensive lineman that the Vikings took. In this post, we are going to focus on Dru Samia out of Oklahoma.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

The Vikings made Samia a priority, trading up to draft him in the fourth round of the 2019 NFL Draft. He was fantastic value in that range and was one of my favorite selections for any team in the middle rounds.

Samia started his career at right tackle, before making the final 38 starts of his college career at right guard. The Vikings will likely use him on the interior at the next level, but having that kind of versatility is certainly valuable.

Samia is an athletic offensive lineman who gets out of his stance and into position quickly. He moves extremely well in space, understands second-level angles and does a great job of walling off defenders away from ball carriers. Simply put, he is an ideal zone-blocking offensive lineman who should excel in the Vikings’ zone-heavy offense.

He also shows tremendous aggressiveness and toughness in the run game, consistently keeping his feet moving and looking for work through the whistle.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Samia’s obvious quickness and athleticism obviously come in handy in pass protection as well. He moves extremely well laterally, showing ideal mirror ability against all defenders. He does lack an ideal anchor, losing against pure power at times, but he does show a solid ability to recover.

Samia is a tough player who is never afraid to mix it up on the inside. However, he does need to get stronger if he is truly going to reach his full potential at the next level. He simply lacks the ideal core strength to move big defensive tackles off of their spot and will lose to more powerful players in the passing game at times. His hand placement is also spotty both in the run game and as a pass protector.

He is not a perfect prospect, but Dru Samia was a tremendous value for the Minnesota Vikings in the middle of the fourth round. He undoubtedly has the ability to come in and make an immediate impact for this team and I would not be surprised to see him as a day one starter at one of the guard positions.

The Vikings’ offensive line is not fixed, but bringing Bradbury and Samia into the mix is certainly a step in the right directions. For those picks alone, the Minnesota Vikings should be happy with their haul from the 2019 NFL Draft.
Beef Supreme

Re: Dru Samia an underrated gem

Post by Beef Supreme »

I like him and really hope this is true.

Could be the thing that swings this from a good/decent draft to a great one.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

After being fooled by other fourth round linemen like Willie Beavers and TJ Clemmings, I'm wary. But this one feels different.

I think it might be because they are talking about him as a RG and he's nasty. RG is easier and nasty is always nice.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Will be excited to see how it unfolds. Would be awesome to find two good starters up front in this draft.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Dru will put you in the dirt and keep you there.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

if spielman hits big with this pick he'll have shown great instincts to wait for that second lineman pick along with faith in his scouting team to know what they're doing. i'll admit i was very disappointed in the draft on day two-but he'll prove me wrong in my concerns if he hits.

that would be doing what everybody gets paid to do though. my opinion is just a fan's from the cheap seats. it's not supposed to be superior to the ones getting paid big money to do the job. :mrgreen:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Nevah been so much excitement and anticipation in regards to linemen! Hope we got some good ones!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:58 pm I like him and really hope this is true.

I hope so also
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:58 pm I like him and really hope this is true.

Totally agree
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Phrooster wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:25 am

Totally agree
Although, this is the season for articles like this. Check out this one from May 2nd, 2015:
TJ Clemmings Is Huge Draft Steal for Vikings After Foot Injury Causes Free Fall

Thanks to a recently discovered injury that caused one of the draft's deepest slides down the board, the Minnesota Vikings were provided the opportunity in the fourth round to take a fringe first-round prospect in Pittsburgh tackle T.J. Clemmings.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Clemmings' previously unknown injury on April 24. During a team visit, the 6'5" Clemmings was found to have a stress fracture in his foot—which likely precipitated his fall from Day 1 pick to the No. 110 overall selection on Saturday.

The Vikings were fine taking the medical risk on a player with huge upside.

Many believed Clemmings would be one of the first offensive tackles off the board, with a first- or second-round grade and the potential to one day become a bookend starter on either the left or right side.

Matt Miller of Bleacher Report ranked Clemmings as his No. 6 overall offensive tackle. His NFL comparison was Lane Johnson, the fourth overall pick of the Philadelphia Eagles in 2013.

"A major work in progress, Clemmings has the athletic traits to be a very good player—and that's how Lane Johnson (a former quarterback) was viewed coming out of Oklahoma," Miller wrote.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

cunningham wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:19 pm

Totally agree
Although, this is the season for articles like this. Check out this one from May 2nd, 2015:

Thanks to a recently discovered injury that caused one of the draft's deepest slides down the board, the Minnesota Vikings were provided the opportunity in the fourth round to take a fringe first-round prospect in Pittsburgh tackle T.J. Clemmings.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Clemmings' previously unknown injury on April 24. During a team visit, the 6'5" Clemmings was found to have a stress fracture in his foot—which likely precipitated his fall from Day 1 pick to the No. 110 overall selection on Saturday.

Many believed Clemmings would be one of the first offensive tackles off the board, with a first- or second-round grade and the potential to one day become a bookend starter on either the left or right side.

Matt Miller of Bleacher Report ranked Clemmings as his No. 6 overall offensive tackle. His NFL comparison was Lane Johnson, the fourth overall pick of the Philadelphia Eagles in 2013.

"A major work in progress, Clemmings has the athletic traits to be a very good player—and that's how Lane Johnson (a former quarterback) was viewed coming out of Oklahoma," Miller wrote.
that last sentence should have been more of a red flag to us.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Da Gas Man wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:57 pm
cunningham wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:19 pm

Totally agree

that last sentence should have been more of a red flag to us.
It went on for a few more paragraphs, but I was too lazy to reformat the entire thing. There are a few on Beavers too... Usually written in late April or early May. These articles about some late round steal who is showing to be worth something. It is like clockwork.

Not sure if I am just getting old and bitter, but the same BS from this team just isn't doing it for me anymore. I am in full prove-it mode with Spielman this season. I guess you could say I am "all-in" on him doing something for his 10th time telling me we are "all-in" again. My feeling is this season the wheels are going to come off and it will be the most dramatic in team history. Just a complete cluster that unravels right before our eyes. It isn't even that expectations are high as much as it is people are sick of hearing those same predictions and excuses every single year. I'm done with Rick and his late round linemen that rarely if ever pan out. If Bradbury becomes a permanent starter at center that will be a position we usually used very late rounders on. We let Easton walk right away because we are out of money. Hard to build any team if we are forced to lose guys just when they are developing.

This team has a lot to prove for me to buy in this season. This offensive line has sucked for too long and it isn't like we haven't taken late rounders before. We just took a center in the first round. If Bradbury doesn't work out it will be yet another first round pick wasted on offense that never pans out. Rick is good at wasting those!
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

I have a good feeling about this guy.....I think he may be one tough SOB.......leader by example.

Of course I have no idea what I am talking about but it’s a very Froobish take.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

vikesbumeout wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:40 pm I have a good feeling about this guy.....I think he may be one tough SOB.......leader by example.

That's why this feels different. I don't recall hearing nastiness about Beavers or Clemmings.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I'm going to assume he sucks until I see him out there hold his own.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Da Gas Man wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:42 pm
vikesbumeout wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:40 pm I have a good feeling about this guy.....I think he may be one tough SOB.......leader by example.

That's why this feels different. I don't recall hearing nastiness about Beavers or Clemmings.
To me the reason for optimism is in large part due to the coaching change.

Maybe some of our mid/late round picks could have worked out with better line coaching.

- Carl Jung
Hector

Post by Hector »

Can't be any worse than Remmers or Compton.
Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

It seems to be another mid-round pick that fans are hoping will pan out.

It seems to happen every year.

I'm not sure how anybody could have confidence that will we get a strong lineman with a mid-round pick.

Who was the last mid-round O lineman that was a success? Matt Birk?
I have the unique privilege of having my avatar bestowed upon me by The Great and Powerful Abe.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:09 pm

To me the reason for optimism is in large part due to the coaching change.

Maybe some of our mid/late round picks could have worked out with better line coaching.
100% agree! Stefanski scared me because who wants to watch someone that green just up and calling plays without some veteran guidance. Dennison has experience and is smart, but these things click up like 4-6 slots of rankings. I am hopeful for our running game. We are going to need it all the time. If it can steady or Chicken Little quarterback we might have a shot at a playoff victory.

And really as Vikings’ fans isn’t that all we can really hope for? I wasn’t even 1 when this team played in the Super Bowl.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

If you ever watch Samia, you instantly hear the pads "Crack" that's a good sign for a young Olinemen.

He gets "Up in ya" and isn't afraid to do it.

Pro Bowl potential imo.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Vulcan Vidiot wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:47 pm It seems to be another mid-round pick that fans are hoping will pan out.

I'm not sure how anybody could have confidence that will we get a strong lineman with a mid-round pick.

John Sullivan was pretty good. Brandon Fusco was alright until he hurt himself. 6th round picks, both of them.

- Carl Jung
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

Going even further out on the Froob tree limb.....Samia = Top draft pick 2019 in long run
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i certainly wanted them to go o-line at picks one and two. spielman saw things differently and we'll find out if he was right or not soon enough.
Head Coach

Post by Head Coach »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:01 am
Vulcan Vidiot wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:47 pm It seems to be another mid-round pick that fans are hoping will pan out.

John Sullivan was pretty good. Brandon Fusco was alright until he hurt himself. 6th round picks, both of them.
Both interior lineman, where TJ Clemmings mentioned earlier was a tackle.
With Samia playing G, it's just an easier position to succeed.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Head Coach wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:18 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:01 am

Both interior lineman, where TJ Clemmings mentioned earlier was a tackle.
With Samia playing G, it's just an easier position to succeed.
Agreed.

Though wasn't Clemmings supposed to be a guard who got forced into action as a tackle due to injuries? I think he was a tackle in college that they put through training camp as a guard, expecting that to be his NFL position and then had to throw him back outside when guys got hurt?

- Carl Jung
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

weimy froob wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:47 am i certainly wanted them to go o-line at picks one and two. spielman saw things differently and we'll find out if he was right or not soon enough.
I essentially did but now it is over.

Irv Smith has the chance of being a good nfl tight end. I like how they drafted Alexander Mattison trading down s d getting multiple additional picks.

Hopefully the group of Collins, Klein, Elfein and Sumia totally upgrade the interior line quality and depth flanking Bradbury, who I hope plays at all pro level from the start.

If that is the case, this team could be significantly improved.
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

Based on what? Past results? :roll:

Listen, Spock. We drafted 2 stud interior OL in the first 4 rounds of the draft that were prospects we had targeted.

AND have you heard? There’s a new OL Sheriff in town. Rico Dennison. D-Man and Kubiak run the same zone block offensive scheme that they have for years.

Overall, our offense (Diggs/Theilen/Rudolph/Smith Jr./Cook/Mattison) will be much more effective running the ball under Kubiak’s...I mean Stefaniski’s offense.
Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:59 pm

Listen, Spock. We drafted 2 stud interior OL in the first 4 rounds of the draft that were prospects we had targeted.

AND have you heard? There’s a new OL Sheriff in town. Rico Dennison. D-Man and Kubiak run the same zone block offensive scheme that they have for years.

Overall, our offense (Diggs/Theilen/Rudolph/Smith Jr./Cook/Mattison) will be much more effective running the ball under Kubiak’s...I mean Stefaniski’s offense.
Yes, based on past results.

Could our new mid-round pick turn out to be a stud? Yes.

Does the track record of our drafts show that our mid-round pick will be successful? No.

Would you expect a kid to get an "A" on a section of a test after failing that section for ten straight tests?

Does that mean he can't get an "A"? No, but the odds are against that kid.

I love the optimism, but this IS the Vikings
I have the unique privilege of having my avatar bestowed upon me by The Great and Powerful Abe.
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

Vulcan Vidiot wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:15 pm

Does the track record of our drafts show that our mid-round pick will be successful? No.

Would you expect a kid to get an "A" on a section of a test after failing that section for ten straight tests?

Illogical, Spock.

It’s not the same kid taking the test.
Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:03 am
Vulcan Vidiot wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:15 pm

Illogical, Spock.

It’s not the same kid taking the test.
Good point.

Unfortunately in this situation the teacher has to pick the student and teach them.

We've had the same teaching staff for years.