Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

KDC: Most pressured QB in 2018

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Re: KDC: Most pressured QB in 2018

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

silverjoel wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:05 pm
Dude wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:57 pm
silverjoel wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:36 pm

Do you really think those number are vastly different across the NFL? I would guess most if not all rushes average to around 2 yards or less. Hell, the most any team can gain in those 3 plays is 9 yards or 3 yards per play. So, 3 yards per play is max. You know what plays don't show up on there? Plays where a team makes a first down. So, it's not really the numbers in there, it's the number of.

Edit: but if you want to get into the numbers more, on rushes, the average was about half the max per play. On pass plays, the average was about a third per play. Not like any team can predict this, but if the Vikings knew a drive was going to be a 3-and-out, they would have been much better off with 3 rushes.
For fucks sakes, it really seems like you're being obtuse on purpose.

The point is that there's no logic in holding the 3 and out metric against Cousins. I know you understand that, but you keep bringing up the damn stat. It's a worthless and futile argument, but for some reason you keep trying to hammer it home.

The VIKINGS sucked when it comes to their 3 and out stats. The VIKINGS need to do better. The VIKINGS also sucked at running the ball. The VIKINGS also had issues with their play calling.

Fix what needs to and can be fixed, then reevaluate after the season. That's improving the offensive line, improving play calling, and finding a way to get better rhythm offensively. The book's still being written on Cousins, and you're a fool if you think it's finished.
So, wait. The passing game was worse on 3-and-outs than the rushing game and you didn't even mention that.

The average rush across the NFL in 2018 gained 4.4 yards. On 3-and-outs for the Vikings, the average rush was 1.5 yards. A difference of 2.9 yards.

The average pass across the NFL in 2018 gained 7.4 yards. On 3-and-outs for the Vikings, the average pass was 1.1 yards. A difference of 6.3 yards.

You only cared about the rushing, so you have completely ignored how bad that passing mark is. Now again, if we did that for any team the numbers will be bad. But those passing numbers are really bad and how anyone can put more of the blame on the rushes in that situation is beyond me.

One last thing and then that's enough with the 3-and-outs. 2016 under Bradford had a better 3-and-out %. For the season, the 2016 Vikings had 1205 rushes at a 3.2 YPC (2018 had 1493 rushes at a 4.2 YPC). If rushing was that big of an impact on 3-and-outs, shouldn't 2016 be much worse?
You're really trying hard to draw a straight line for something that is quite squiggly. You're actually comparing avg rush yards vs avg pass yards, which of course will have a higher avg for passing, and use that as your 3rd down I hate Cousins rant? Wtf?
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:12 pm
cunningham wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:37 pm
Again, you are comparing a guy in his first full year as a starter at 23 years old to a 30 year old veteran quarterback. At 23 Cousins was still in college and didn't even enter the NFL until he was 24. Teddy played in his first playoff game at 23 years old and you want to compare him to a guy who is almost 31. Teddy was on a rookie contract and was cheap while Cousins is making more than Tom Brady.

If Cousins was 23 years old and did what he did last year I have said it would be great. The problem is that he is almost 31 and this seems to be his MO.

I've addressed these plays before and admitted it. Now link to the ones that Cousins did just last year. Like the Rams game.
What is this with mentioning Teddy’s age?

In an argument about whether or not Cousins is the best Vikings QB since Favre, it’s irrelevant to suggest that Teddy MIGHT HAVE one day eclipsed what Cousins is today.
These 2 guys are off their rockers.
Dude

Post by Dude »

So, wait. The passing game was worse on 3-and-outs than the rushing game and you didn't even mention that.
Because the question I asked was about the Vikings' rushing average in 3/outs. I've already acknowledged that the passing game failed in those scenarios.

It was a round about way to try to get you to understand the flaw to your logic, but I guess it's still going over your head.
silverjoel

Post by silverjoel »

Let's compare the seasons under Zimmer that had the worst 3-and-out (2018) with the best (2015).

3rd and 7+ yards to go pass plays only.

2018 - total plays on the season: 981, number of 3rd and 7+ plays: 81, % of plays that we're 3rd and 7+: 8.26%, average to go: 11.11 yards, % converted to 1st down: 25.9%, NFL % converted to 1st down: 26.5%

2015 - total plays on the season: 960, number of 3rd and 7+ plays: 86, % of plays that we're 3rd and 7+: 8.96%, average to go: 11.03 yards, % converted to 1st down: 29.1%, NFL % converted to 1st down: 27.4%

Now these are plays where at most the running game gained 3 yards (that 1.5 average from those 3-and-outs).
How could a team with such great run support in 2015 have more 3rd and 7+ situations? How did that QB that was just carried by the team convert a higher percentage of these plays? Maybe teams were scared of Peterson while he was on the sideline during these plays. Maybe it was rookie Diggs who only started 9 games. Maybe it was the great receiving threats of Mike Wallace or Charles Johnson, they're surely better than whatever garbage the 2018 Vikings trotted out at WR. Maybe it was the OL that gave up a 46% pressure rate.

That 2018 team just let Cousins down. We fans can't expect a QB to step up once in a while and make a play or expect a QB to make up for a teammates mistake.
Dude

Post by Dude »

You only cared about the rushing, so you have completely ignored how bad that passing mark is. Now again, if we did that for any team the numbers will be bad. But those passing numbers are really bad and how anyone can put more of the blame on the rushes in that situation is beyond me.
Do me a favor and show me where I said more of the blame goes towards rushing. My memory must be failing me.
silverjoel

Post by silverjoel »

Dude wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:37 pm
Do me a favor and show me where I said more of the blame goes towards rushing. My memory must be failing me.
This is the closest thing I can even find that puts any blame on Cousins.

"It's also clear that while some of that lies in Cousins' lap, there were also other forces at play."

And then you quickly dismiss it.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

silverjoel wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:54 pm

"It's also clear that while some of that lies in Cousins' lap, there were also other forces at play."

:lol:

If that doesn't display how reasonable one side is vs the other, I don't know what will.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Fourteeeeennnn Fourteeeennnn

This cadence call from Kirk should spring Diggs in motion. Notice the long "drag" on the cadence.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:58 pm

If that doesn't display how reasonable one side is vs the other, I don't know what will.
It is like that cartoon with the big dog and little dog. Joe yipping away while Dude makes the argument. I get what you are doing, but it is annoying. Like Jago and Jafar in Aladdin. Interesting. Still annoying and trolling.

Silver is spot on though and again does the true research. Dude lost this pages ago and now it is sad.

We all can agree we are Vikings’ fans, right?

I think it might be that some of us think Cousins is the answer at the quarterback and some of us are still looking.

Is that a fair assessment?
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

cunningham wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:13 pm

It is like that cartoon with the big dog and little dog. Joe yipping away while Dude makes the argument. I get what you are doing, but it is annoying. Like Jago and Jafar in Aladdin. Interesting. Still annoying and trolling.

Silver is spot on though and again does the true research. Dude lost this pages ago and now it is sad.

I think it might be that some of us think Cousins is the answer at the quarterback and some of us are still looking.

You get what I'm doing? You mean pointing out that Joel could find exactly what our argument has been from the beginning, and somehow he thinks that's a gotcha?

There's no one except you and Joel that believe you've done anything but get continuously smacked down here. This is the most ridiculous argument and thread.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I don’t think many people here think Cousins is 100% the answer at QB here.

What people are saying is that he was good enough at times in 2018 where you’d want to see him in more a ideal situation in 2019 regarding the OL, run game and play calling before we shut the door on him.

Independently on the merit of the QB position alone, Cousins is still the best QB we’ve had since Favre, and I am excited to see what Cousins could do if we were able to duplicate the situation around him that Keenum had in 2017.

I don’t think anything about this is unfair, but for whatever reason there are people who won’t accept this very reasonable take.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:30 pm

What people are saying is that he was good enough at times in 2018 where you’d want to see him in more a ideal situation in 2019 regarding the OL, run game and play calling before we shut the door on him.

Independently on the merit of the QB position alone, Cousins is still the best QB we’ve had since Favre, and I am excited to see what Cousins could do if we were able to duplicate the situation around him that Keenum had in 2017.

I don’t think anything about this is unfair, but for whatever reason there are people who won’t accept this very reasonable take.
I see what you are saying. I think that what we had with Keenum was unique to his play. I don’t think you can just pluck Keenum out, insert Cousins, and win the Super Bowl.

I thought that before last season.

Now it is insert better lineman, and win Super Bowl.

I saw bigger issues than offensive line to this team last season. Dennison, who is a damned rocket scientist, usually raises his line play by 3-5 slots after his first year.

Run the ball as Zimmer said.

If we are successful it will be because we run the ball like we haven’t seen in these parts in a few years.

Didn’t it just kill you as a fan to watch that Chicago game?

To watch our team beat like that?

It is hard to be positive after seeing that. We were beat. Beat good. Just like by the other big teams. Each one (except Eagles) totally beat us.

I was hoping for home field advantage and instead we lost to Chicago’s second stringers at home

This team has a lot to prove and Cousins is the highest paid player in this team’s history.

Excuse me that I haven’t crowned him after this team went 8-7-1. I guess I expect a little more for that kind of money.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

cunningham wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:45 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:30 pm

I see what you are saying. I think that what we had with Keenum was unique to his play. I don’t think you can just pluck Keenum out, insert Cousins, and win the Super Bowl.

I thought that before last season.

Now it is insert better lineman, and win Super Bowl.

I saw bigger issues than offensive line to this team last season. Dennison, who is a damned rocket scientist, usually raises his line play by 3-5 slots after his first year.

Run the ball as Zimmer said.

If we are successful it will be because we run the ball like we haven’t seen in these parts in a few years.

Didn’t it just kill you as a fan to watch that Chicago game?

To watch our team beat like that?

It is hard to be positive after seeing that. We were beat. Beat good. Just like by the other big teams. Each one (except Eagles) totally beat us.

I was hoping for home field advantage and instead we lost to Chicago’s second stringers at home

This team has a lot to prove and Cousins is the highest paid player in this team’s history.

Excuse me that I haven’t crowned him after this team went 8-7-1. I guess I expect a little more for that kind of money.
Please post the names of Rubes who have “crowned him.”

Again, no one is doing that.
Dude

Post by Dude »

I'm gonna take a step back and try to get some clarity here:

What exactly are you trying to accomplish or communicate? That you don't like Cousins? That you think it was a bad signing? That you hold him responsible for missing the playoffs last year?

Message received. I'm glad that you're able to create closure in that idea after one season.

Now that we're past that, can we focus on what the Vikings should/could do going forward or are you going to insist in pissing in the spilled milk?
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Page after page after page of you dummies arguing with this simpleton. It literally is akin to when we were in 3rd grade and the special ed kid came back to join the regular class and got picked on. It's just incredible the amount of babbling. Good God. :lol:
Dude

Post by Dude »

cunningham wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:13 pm Silver is spot on though and again does the true research. Dude lost this pages ago and now it is sad.

Holy shit I just caught this :lol:

I realize you don't have many horses in your stable so to speak, but he's the last one you should probably hitch your wagon to.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Dude wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:46 pm

I'm gonna take a step back and try to get some clarity here:

What exactly are you trying to accomplish or communicate? That you don't like Cousins? That you think it was a bad signing? That you hold him responsible for missing the playoffs last year?

Message received. I'm glad that you're able to create closure in that idea after one season.

Now that we're past that, can we focus on what the Vikings should/could do going forward or are you going to insist in pissing in the spilled milk?
Yeah. I actually agree with a lot of Cunningham's points. But he's our guy for the next two years at least. He's not awful. If you build the team right around him, he can probably win at a high level. I don't think his contract gives us much room for error and I don't think he's the kind of talent that can elevate an imperfect roster. I think he's the kind of talent who may be able to exploit a perfect roster and make a Super Bowl run.

Let's see how it goes.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Dude

Post by Dude »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:51 pm Page after page after page of you dummies arguing with this simpleton. It literally is akin to when we were in 3rd grade and the special ed kid came back to join the regular class and got picked on. It's just incredible the amount of babbling. Good God. :lol:
C'mon man .. that's just hurtful.
Thor11

Post by Thor11 »

Get clued in clowns...rubes or whatever tragic headcases you are on Kirk Cousins...

https://youtu.be/nSnI4gew8nw
Life is on the wire...the rest is just waiting.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Thor11 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:27 pm Get clued in clowns...rubes or whatever tragic headcases you are on Kirk Cousins...

Please tell us who they should of got at QB since the end of 2017?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Dude wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:55 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:51 pm Page after page after page of you dummies arguing with this simpleton. It literally is akin to when we were in 3rd grade and the special ed kid came back to join the regular class and got picked on. It's just incredible the amount of babbling. Good God. :lol:
C'mon man .. that's just hurtful.
Typical pathetic trolling. The trademark “moron” was left out and replaced with cracks toward children with special needs. Unlike Joe and his exact same theme. Whatever.

Something else to talk about Hate?

It is more two years.

I doubt he makes it that far, but we’ll see.

This team only has so many Kendricks who can restructure to keep it together. Tick, tock...

Kirk looks like a quarterback, he talks like an athlete, and he can make some throws. He will be in his 30s, a seasoned veteran, but has never won more than 9 games in a season. 9-7 might get the playoffs, but really you will probably need 11-5.

So Kirk has a 5-25 record against teams with a winning record. That means that 80% of the teams with a winning record will beat the Vikings in a season. If half the teams we play next season have a winning record that means we lose about 6 games. So 10-6. Which should get the Vikings into the playoffs.

I guess :lol: :lol: :shrug:
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Looks like Mensa has decreased its presence here in MN. Do you guys get time in the yard at this time of the evening, or do they have wifi on the green line?
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Thor11 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:27 pm Get clued in clowns...rubes or whatever tragic headcases you are on Kirk Cousins...

I listened and they seemed to be real about Kirk Cousins. Kubiak is familiar with Shanahan, who led Washington originally. So that is the offense being installed this offseason for Kirk.

Good video though. We now know what we have with Kirk and can attempt to minimize those situations
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

No worries here. It's been said by multiple NFL personnel that KDC is the HARDEST worker in the game!

Chalk up another career year from the Michigan native.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Dude

Post by Dude »

cunningham wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:43 pm
It is more two years.

He's going to be the Vikings' quarterback in 2020 unless he loses a limb.

At worst, the Vikings continue to struggle this year and they make a move in the draft next spring making 2020 a lame duck year for him, but he'll still be the Vikings' quarterback.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Dude wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:33 am
It is more two years.

At worst, the Vikings continue to struggle this year and they make a move in the draft next spring making 2020 a lame duck year for him, but he'll still be the Vikings' quarterback.
They will ink him to a extension around this time next year.

#HoistIn20
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

It is more two years.

Aw, poor thing, he's in Tednial.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:38 am
It is more two years.

Don't worry Cunningham, his extension will clear up some space for 2022 that you are so worried about. :lol:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:42 am

Don't worry Cunningham, his extension will clear up some space for 2022 that you are so worried about. :lol:
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:46 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:42 am

You would be so bored without me.

If he becomes a decent quarterback - and by that I mean wins a playoff game - then hey, go ahead and re-sign him. Good luck providing him a supporting cast with that massive deal he will demand. Double down though...

It is too late to right this wrong now though. Haskins was right there at 15 and Washington is gloating about him right now. Lamar Jackson was right there too the year before. If one is there next year RS will pass again. The guy is an idiot and should have been fired after Ponder. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me again, and...

I will change my name to Sergeant Rubetube... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rather have 8-7-1 than 13-3. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No matter what I have said Sergeant Rubetube totally beat me. :bow: :bow: :bow:

I am a Vikings' fan and want them to succeed. I just cannot believe that Rube totally agreed with me BEFORE last season, then saw last season and changed his mind. :lol: Last season was embarrassing. :lol: