Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Safety Might Be the Best Value at 50

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Ash Ketchum

Safety Might Be the Best Value at 50

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Essentially all of the top ranked safeties are caught in that late first-late second range with very little consensus on who the top safety is.

Seems like the FA safety market is running cold too, so would you opposed to a safety at 50 if some of the better ones fall?

I’ve seen Adderley, Thompson, etc. anywhere in that 20-60 range.

Harrison Smith is getting older. Anthony Harris was solid but not an elite player.
Small Hands

Re: Safety Might Be the Best Value at 50

Post by Small Hands »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:45 am Essentially all of the top ranked safeties are caught in that late first-late second range with very little consensus on who the top safety is.

Seems like the FA safety market is running cold too, so would you opposed to a safety at 50 if some of the better ones fall?

Harrison Smith is getting older. Anthony Harris was solid but not an elite player.
I'd be happy with it. Smith definitely lost a step last year, and having depth at the safety position is important. Thompson will be gone by pick 50 IMO, but if he's there, I'd be all for it. I personally still think the Vikes try and get cute at 18. Too many solid defensive players for Zim not to put his hand in the candy Jar. I think they go DL at 18 and draft whoever is left between Risner or McCoy at 50 (possible move up in the second to get one of them).
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

Safeties are important.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Feel like they need help offensively or depth at DT. Obviously you should be able to find depth guys at RB/WR/OG later in the draft. If they draft interior OL first round, it's reasonable for them to go BPA (anything but a qb of course) second round and then back to needs in the third round.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Smith is still very good even though he's 30 and I think Harris has gotten better each year he's been in Minnesota and has a high celling.

I'm with HeHate me on this one. Not sure safety is as big of an immediate need as offense or DT. Offense is what lost the Vikings several games last year and the defense was fine for the most part overall.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:45 am Essentially all of the top ranked safeties are caught in that late first-late second range with very little consensus on who the top safety is.

I see the geometry of that statement but I doubt the Vikings would select one unless they really really have a strong sense of one. Lets say Chauncey Gardner-Johnson is sitting there. I could see them having a really high grade on him because he is perhaps the most versatile defensive player int he draft (I originally had Adderley as the top safety but Gardner-Johnson is the better player and he actually should have a round 1 grade). I would take him with the only exception being a top level dLine guy was there too.

On Gardner Johnson, I don't like highlight videos of prospects but the value of this one is it shows you all of the ways that he can be used. The tackling abilitities, coverage, and range. They are top level.

I wanted Justin Reid last season. Gardner-Johnson is probably selected before 50, but I would not hesitate to pair him with Smith. You can play him in the box. In the slot. Over the top. Blitz. Cover. Total package.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

I think I would rather target S in the 3rd or later if the right player is there.

Abram, Adderley and Gardner-Johnson will be gone by 50. Thompson is interesting because during the season, many believed him to be a 1st rounder. Now after the combine and pro days he seems to be all over the board, anywhere from high 2nd to the end of the 3rd.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

They won't be going safety in rd #2
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Hard pass in round 2. Maybe later.

Harris will be just fine as the starter. We made it what? 3 seasons with Sendejo just launching himself like a missile?

Maybe get depth in rounds 4-5.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

Defensive lineman are more important. Griff and Lindval are getting long in the tooth plus the guy they picked up to replace Richardson (Steph...) is below par. All that has to be done is double team D Hunter and you can run and pass all you want.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Deep Purple wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:47 pm Defensive lineman are more important. Griff and Lindval are getting long in the tooth plus the guy they picked up to replace Richardson (Steph...) is below par. All that has to be done is double team D Hunter and you can run and pass all you want.
Right, but my entire argument is that IF one of the top safeties falls, you’d take that superior player over a lesser DL.

It’s not really good draft strategy to say definitively, “no, I’d rather have a DL at 50 over a safety,” if no names are attached to the argument.
Jimmy Butler

Post by Jimmy Butler »

None of the safeties are first round guys, a few might be expected value at 50.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

This years draft is very deep for OL and DL. More than likely a blue chipper will still be there for a lineman at 50.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

I haven't watched actual tape of the safeties like I have Oline, going off of highlights I really like Nassir Adderly. If he was there at 50 it would be really tempting. He has played a lower competition but he looks like he can really ball. I feel like his ball skills and coverage might be a step ahead of the Texas A&M safety.

Jaun Thornhill is a freak athlete, his highlights seem limited but you can tell he's an outstanding athlete.