Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Minnesota has drafted the fewest quarterbacks (2) among all NFL teams in the past decade outside of Atlanta

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
cunningham

Re: Minnesota has drafted the fewest quarterbacks (2) among all NFL teams in the past decade outside of Atlanta

Post by cunningham »

Tmoney wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:42 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:40 pm
Tmoney wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:50 pm I have been saying for a decade now. Unless you know you have your guy, a QB should be drafted yearly.

Somewhere between rounds 2 and 5.
There’s no way I’m spending a 2nd round pick on a QB unless you don’t have a starting QB or your starting QB is old and will be gone within a couple years.

And even in the third round and beyond, the odds of those QBs becoming starting caliber is very low.

If there’s a particular QB in a specific draft that you like and want to take a flier on him, I have no problem with that. But I’m against the “throw a ton of shit against the wall, and eventually something will stick” theory. I get the logic but too many wasted picks when 3rd-5th round picks can be very valuable when building a roster. Griffen, Diggs, Hunter, Harris, Joseph, Cousins and Thielen were all taken in their respective drafts (Thielen was undrafted) in the third round or later.
That's why is said unless you know you have your guy, to keep trying. A QB should have been eyed yearly when Ponder was here.

You are right we could have missed out on some good players.

Also, willie beavers, yankey, Christian Ballard brandon burton damarcus love, Josh Robinson, greg childs, scott chricton, tj clemming, used pick 143 in the 5th for Mychole Pruitt, 3 picks later took diggs.

All guys that did nothing here, and picked in that range. A QB could have been taken some point and at least had a chance to develope.

May e they had a decent option and didn't have to get Bradford after Teddy went down and give up what they did.

Who knows
AMEN! You miss all the shots you don't take. Part of my complete frustration with this franchise (and in particular Rick Spielman) is that we don't really take shots. We trade for guys who were not good to begin with and then are told that they were just misunderstood. Then I think back to Freeman. Spielman whispering in his ear. The years of Ponder. What is worse is that we saw that a guy like Bridgewater could go out there year one and make progression to year two. When he goes down it was the typical RS overreaction. Coulda started what's-his-face our back up who won the first game for the rest of the season, used that first we traded, and drafted a guy. Nope. We went two years of Badford and started to win when Keenum came in. Keenum wasn't even that good, but we made the NFC Championship game.

Spielman always believes we are just a player away from winning it all too often. We are told the same BS from him season after season, but we have made the playoffs more in spite of him than as a result of his actions. Keenum was the best luck he ever had in finding a diamond in the rough, but they still wanted Bradford out there. Then in Chicago we saw that Bradford is junk.

The same people who sit here and defend Cousins also were in love with Bradford. This crap is getting old though.

In order to win today you need a quarterback on their rookie contract to peak at the right time. Even then it won't get you a Super Bowl ring - at least a winning one.

Every single year except maybe the year Teddy started I have prayed we drafted a quarterback. I really wish we would this season as well, but yeah, let's draft some project at CB in round 2.
cunningham

Re: Minnesota has drafted the fewest quarterbacks (2) among all NFL teams in the past decade outside of Atlanta

Post by cunningham »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:38 am
cunningham wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:29 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:40 pm

There’s no way I’m spending a 2nd round pick on a QB unless you don’t have a starting QB or your starting QB is old and will be gone within a couple years.

And even in the third round and beyond, the odds of those QBs becoming starting caliber is very low.

If there’s a particular QB in a specific draft that you like and want to take a flier on him, I have no problem with that. But I’m against the “throw a ton of shit against the wall, and eventually something will stick” theory. I get the logic but too many wasted picks when 3rd-5th round picks can be very valuable when building a roster. Griffen, Diggs, Hunter, Harris, Joseph, Cousins and Thielen were all taken in their respective drafts (Thielen was undrafted) in the third round or later.
What round was Cousins taken in again?
Nice, do you believe Cousins is more of a rule or exception?
He is what he is. A middle round quarterback, but he has overachieved throughout his career. I believe the success of Cousins is more the result of his coaches in Washington. He struggles in meaningful games against decent opponents because he isn't that good. That is what you get in a later round quarterback not named Tom Brady.

I'd like to see one fall to us and trade back into the first. Either this year or next year. Or you trade a bunch of guys and move to the top if you really think there is a marque guy there at the top.

Until the quarterback position is addressed we are just running in circles.

If one of the three quarterbacks were to fall to us and we didn't take a shot it would suck. Also, some guys were the result of the team that drafted them. Russell Wilson might have sucked had he went to a different team. Could say that about most guys. Maybe Cam Newton would have a bunch of rings had he went to a team like the Pats?