Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Thielen 4 year extension done

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Thielen 4 year extension done

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Dude

Re: Thielen 4 year extension done

Post by Dude »

Cool. It will be interesting to see if they were able to structure it in a way to free up some cap room this year.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Dude wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:08 pm Cool. It will be interesting to see if they were able to structure it in a way to free up some cap room this year.
Yeah, Ben says the cap number likely for 2019 gets lowered.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

Curious how they work this. That is 16mil per year on average. I assume it is lighter on the front end and picks up when Cousins contract.

Diggs is 14.4 per year average...
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:09 pm
Dude wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:08 pm Cool. It will be interesting to see if they were able to structure it in a way to free up some cap room this year.
Yeah, Ben says the cap number likely for 2019 gets lowered.
:thumbsup:
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Cap number for 2019 will be lowered, but we’re deferring a bunch of salaries for the next few years.

Will be interesting to see who is let go starting next year and beyond.
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

They seem to be keeping the team together one more year. Too much cap space is being pushed to 2020. Next year people are getting axed.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

Obi-Wan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:17 pm They seem to be keeping the team together one more year. Too much cap space is being pushed to 2020. Next year people are getting axed.
Reiff, possibly waynes are probably the only Vikings with big salaries that will get axed next year. I think cousins has this year to win a Super Bowl, if he doesn’t I could see us drafting a qb in round 1 next year, having him sit year 1 and learn the offense while Kirk plays out his last year, then gets the reigns once kirk’s deal is up. With a qb on a rookie salary that would allow us to pay all these big salaries
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

SKOLMN wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:39 pm
Obi-Wan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:17 pm They seem to be keeping the team together one more year. Too much cap space is being pushed to 2020. Next year people are getting axed.
Reiff, possibly waynes are probably the only Vikings with big salaries that will get axed next year. I think cousins has this year to win a Super Bowl, if he doesn’t I could see us drafting a qb in round 1 next year, having him sit year 1 and learn the offense while Kirk plays out his last year, then gets the reigns once kirk’s deal is up. With a qb on a rookie salary that would allow us to pay all these big salaries
I would amend that. Kirk has one more year to prove that he is worth it. If he were to win big games and a playoff game but lose on the road in a championship game whilst playing well, that would warrant keeping him.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:15 pm Cap number for 2019 will be lowered, but we’re deferring a bunch of salaries for the next few years.

Will be interesting to see who is let go starting next year and beyond.
Griffen, Rudolph, Reiff, Waynes, Joseph... the Vikings need to tank in 2020 anyways... we all know what the prize is going to be.

I would try to lose all 16 games.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Thielen will be getting paid like the top WRs in the league.
Is he as good as Brown, Jones, Beckham, Hopkins.....
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

witljon wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:21 pm Thielen will be getting paid like the top WRs in the league.
yes.

stats says he is.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:33 pm
witljon wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:21 pm Thielen will be getting paid like the top WRs in the league.
yes.

stats says he is.
Oh, he just doesn't get the double teams that they do.....
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Let's hope that 2019 1st half of the season Adam is in our lineup next year, not 2nd half of the season Adam.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

witljon wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:39 pm
yes.

stats says he is.
triple, me boi.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

yes.

stats says he is.
Hey Keith, since you’re on here anyway, what are your thoughts on making the Carolina pick for Purple Haze and then making your Miami pick right after?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

This deal is gross imo. Hopefully they are not on the hook for much money after a year or two of this deal if they decide to move on.

He will be a 33 year old WR by the time his deal is done.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Awesome. Have Diggs and Thielen locked up long term.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:24 pm This deal is gross imo. Hopefully they are not on the hook for much money after a year or two of this deal if they decide to move on.

Yeah. Glad he’s taken care of and happy, but I imagine we’ll be paying for this deal someday. They probably had to defer guaranteed money to the end of the contract because - and I know I probably sound like a broken record - the Cousins (and others, to be fair) contract.

It really looks to me like they’re going all in for the next two years and then might be in cap hell and have to tear it down and start over.

We’ll see. Are final contract details out?
Last edited by Beef Supreme on Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
bri

Post by bri »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:24 pm This deal is gross imo. Hopefully they are not on the hook for much money after a year or two of this deal if they decide to move on.

Not too concerned with him being 33 since the last year won't even be an issue.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

The only thing that really matter is guaranteed money.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:42 pm

The only thing that really matter is guaranteed money.
Agreed.

My fear is that there’s still guaranteed money at the end of the deal. I’ll wait and see what the terms are, but it will be interesting to see how a 4 year/$64 contract can be structured with $35M in guarantees, escalators for another $9M, lower the cap number in year one, and not have a lot of guaranteed payouts at the end.

Rob B is a wizard, so maybe he did it. Let’s see those details!

- Isaac Asimov
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

witljon wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:39 pm
yes.

stats says he is.
PFF isn’t the end all be all at all but he’s top 5 graded there too.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:41 pm

Yeah. Glad he’s taken care of and happy, but I imagine we’ll be paying for this deal someday. They probably had to defer guaranteed money to the end of the contract because - and I know I probably sound like a broken record - the Cousins (and others, to be fair) contract.

It really looks to me like they’re going all in for the next two years and then might be in cap hell and have to tear it down and start over.

This is what they should be doing. The time is now! They have their young core locked up also.

Thielen just isn't on par with the Brown, Hopkins etc. I know his #'s say otherwise but he's not in that league.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:14 pm

This is what they should be doing. The time is now! They have their young core locked up also.

Thielen just isn't on par with the Brown, Hopkins etc. I know his #'s say otherwise but he's not in that league.
I am waiting to see the final breakdown on his contract and how it will affect re Vikes moving forward. He’s worth what he’s making, imho.

The cap keeps going up. We’ll likely have Rudolph, Griffen, and Reiff coming off the books next year.

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:32 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:14 pm

I am waiting to see the final breakdown on his contract and how it will affect re Vikes moving forward. He’s worth what he’s making, imho.

The cap keeps going up. We’ll likely have Rudolph, Griffen, and Reiff coming off the books next year.
Right. He puts up the #s of the top guys and I'm not really complaining about it but he doesn't have that "Elite" skill set imo.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
snicker

Post by snicker »

Bill Barnwell

Verified account

@billbarnwell
5h5 hours ago
More
Absolutely no issue with giving Adam Thielen a new deal, of course, but the Vikings are now paying two WR’s $30+ million per season, their QB $28 million per season, and their head coach wants them to run the ball more
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Field Yates✔@FieldYates

Vikings now signed through at least 2021: Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs, Danielle Hunter, Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, Linval Joseph, Harrison Smith, Riley Reiff, Shamar Stephen, Mike Hughes. Excellent foundation.

flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

And good thing we signed Diggs first.

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:54 pm Field Yates✔@FieldYates

Vikings now signed through at least 2021: Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs, Danielle Hunter, Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, Linval Joseph, Harrison Smith, Riley Reiff, Shamar Stephen, Mike Hughes. Excellent foundation.
I predict that Reiff is gone after 2019.

- Isaac Asimov