Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Tyler Shatley visiting

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
dantheman12

Tyler Shatley visiting

Post by dantheman12 »

Per lots of ppl on Twitter. Jags c, and g. 15 career starts. 27 yrs old.
cunningham

Re: Tyler Shatley visiting

Post by cunningham »

I nearly "shat" myself when I read that.

15 starts and is 27 years old. Sounds like a guy we'd overpay for.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

cunningham wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:11 am I nearly "shat" myself when I read that.

15 starts and is 27 years old. Sounds like a guy we'd overpay for.
That is one of the good aspects of having limited cap space.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

PFF has him as an average guard. I dream of average guards.

If he can be had for a smaller contract (where is this money coming from?), then they will be in much better shape than they have been in a while. They can still draft a guard or two and then the average guards will be the depth.

Of course, if I know Speilman he is probably getting these two guards so he can go DT, DE, CB in the first three round.....
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Da Gas Man wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:18 am PFF has him as an average guard. I dream of average guards.

If he can be had for a smaller contract (where is this money coming from?), then they will be in much better shape than they have been in a while. They can still draft a guard or two and then the average guards will be the depth.

Of course, if I know Speilman he is probably getting these two guards so he can go DT, DE, CB in the first three round.....
There is still roughly 3.5 M in cap space left. They should be using a good portion of that on a RB2 or backup QB. Sloter is not the answer. He sucks.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Da Gas Man wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:18 am PFF has him as an average guard. I dream of average guards.

He is gonna draft o-line. OR he gonna be fired, tarred, and feathered. Those positions will be well picked over by the time we get to our pick.

This place will go insane if he doesn't go guard in round 1.
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

Zim will have him go defense first
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

cunningham wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:21 am

He is gonna draft o-line. OR he gonna be fired, tarred, and feathered. Those positions will be well picked over by the time we get to our pick.

Well, I can think of a few players who if they fell, I do believe that the Vikings should forego OL for. A few early mocks had Ed Oliver falling, I would run to podium for him. I'm also okay if they go Hockenson.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Da Gas Man wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:30 am
cunningham wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:21 am

Well, I can think of a few players who if they fell, I do believe that the Vikings should forego OL for. A few early mocks had Ed Oliver falling, I would run to podium for him. I'm also okay if they go Hockenson.
I think that Spielman has put himself between a rock and a hard place. Everyone knows he has to go o-line in the whole NFL, so anyone needing a linemen might jump us. Then we will reach. And that sucks. I'm done with Spielman at this point. I am sure there will one or two BPAs that are sitting there and we will take a guy who should go late round - because no one will probably let us move back either.

Spielman seems to like to be bent over the barrel when it comes to offensive line and quarterback. The guy never learns and so I would expect the same results.

I am not happy or content with Cook. The guy looked great until he blew his ACL and has never been as good since. He was injured a lot last season, but maybe he comes back to his old self this season? I feel like we are in a good position at TE.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

I believe the idea is to sign multiple free agents on the o-line so they can pick the BPA in the first round. You don't want to reach for Kolton Miller when you could draft Tremaine Edmunds, Derwin James or Leighton Vander Esch instead. As it turns out Brian O'Neill was a better pick than Miller.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

The Replacements wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:59 am I believe the idea is to sign multiple free agents on the o-line so they can pick the BPA in the first round. You don't want to reach for Kolton Miller when you could draft Tremaine Edmunds, Derwin James or Leighton Vander Esch instead. As it turns out Brian O'Neill was a better pick than Miller.
That’s funny you bring that up. A couple months ago, I think, a few people were talking about Risner at 18. I brought up that that felt like a Kolton Miller-ish reach. Now he is most likely a day 2 pick.

If there are no worthy OL at 18 (I think there will be) Hockenson would be a slam dunk if there.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

If we pass on offensive line picks because we signed Josh Kline and Shapley (assuming we sign him) it will just be the same old same old for the oLine.

We should be in a position to draft a top flight tackle at #18 and there should be a interior lineman that has a good chance of starting at 81.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:12 am If we pass on offensive line picks because we signed Josh Kline and Shapley (assuming we sign him) it will just be the same old same old for the oLine.

We should be in a position to draft a top flight tackle at #18 and there should be a interior lineman that has a good chance of starting at 81.
But I guess signing those guards allows them to draft a tackle as opposed to taking a guard at 18.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I’ve never heard of this gentleman.

Hopefully he can block.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Da Gas Man wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:18 am
mlhouse wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:12 am If we pass on offensive line picks because we signed Josh Kline and Shapley (assuming we sign him) it will just be the same old same old for the oLine.

But I guess signing those guards allows them to draft a tackle as opposed to taking a guard at 18.
Tackle is the obvious selection at 18.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

What if a player drops to 18 that you love? Do you draft an o-lineman you like instead? Or do you draft o-line the next 2 picks?
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

He graded out higher than Elf at Center last year but this feels like a 1-year depth move.

Some of the stuff on Twitter said good pass blocker but below average run blocker.
mlhouse

Re: Tyler Shaintley visiting

Post by mlhouse »

The Replacements wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:20 am

What if a player drops to 18 that you love? Do you draft an o-lineman you like instead? Or do you draft o-line the next 2 picks?
Such as? I would consider one of the defensive linemen, but Taylor is a guy I would rank as a top 7 guy in this draft, and Ford and WIlliams are not far behind him. So, value wise the Vikings are really lucky how this draft board is set up were their needs and value nicely align.

The only thing that changes my mind is if Taylor, Ford and Williams are already selected. I do not think that is a high probability event, but it is possible. While in that scenario you have to see who drops out of the top 17, my initial contingency plan for that event is to trade down and take one of the next level of offensive tackles although I could be convinced Dillard is also in the Taylor-Ford-Williams tier and I take him at 18 and have a guy I can start at offensive tackle for the next 5-7 years.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

1. This is the saddest thing I've read here in a long time.
2. You need to spend more time looking at boobs.
3. It's a good thing I already voted for you in the brackets.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

Car Ramrod wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:12 am
The Replacements wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:59 am I believe the idea is to sign multiple free agents on the o-line so they can pick the BPA in the first round. You don't want to reach for Kolton Miller when you could draft Tremaine Edmunds, Derwin James or Leighton Vander Esch instead. As it turns out Brian O'Neill was a better pick than Miller.
That’s funny you bring that up. A couple months ago, I think, a few people were talking about Risner at 18. I brought up that that felt like a Kolton Miller-ish reach. Now he is most likely a day 2 pick.

If there are no worthy OL at 18 (I think there will be) Hockenson would be a slam dunk if there.
This is the reason I wanted them to go after Paradis. Keep him at center. Elflein could have moved to guard and the draft could have been wide open.

I think with the scheme and coaching the line will be noticeably better. If they get a day 1 starter in the first 3 rounds. Even better. But they know they have too grab one early now
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Small Hands wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:20 am

There is still roughly 3.5 M in cap space left. They should be using a good portion of that on a RB2 or backup QB. Sloter is not the answer. He sucks.
Which QBs currently available do not suck?
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

It's sad because it's probably true.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

B-Town wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:01 pm

In was going to say RG3, but the Ravens just re signed him. I guess there is Josh McCown, Gabbert, or Glennon. They are all beter options then Sloter. The other alternative would be draft a guy in the middle rounds. Like a Grier or Daniel Jones.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

:lol:

That would be a huge upgrade. :lol:
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I would rather spend the rest of the money on a backup RB.

If you like this guy more than Kline, they should of went with him.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Small Hands wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:53 pm
B-Town wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:01 pm

In was going to say RG3, but the Ravens just re signed him. I guess there is Josh McCown, Gabbert, or Glennon. They are all beter options then Sloter. The other alternative would be draft a guy in the middle rounds. Like a Grier or Daniel Jones.
Both of those guys could sneak into the first round and will likely be gone way before the middle rounds.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Uninspired
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

He left town without a deal.

They have a deal in front of Brett Jones waiting for him to resign. If he doesnt, I think they will sign Shatley.

Shatley looks to be a plan B an Jones is Plan A
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

D_B_U wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:14 pm He left town without a deal.

They have a deal in front of Brett Jones waiting for him to resign. If he doesnt, I think they will sign Shatley.

Shatley looks to be a plan B an Jones is Plan A
Both/either are depth ideally, so that’s fine.

Reiff/Rookie/Elflein/Kline/O’Neill with Collins, Hill, Isadora, another rookie or two, and either of these two guys can battle for the backup spots.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Situation we are in...screw paying RB2. Roll with Boone and Abdullah, and a late round rookie.